Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Interesting note from Albert Breer confirms my suspicion

First & foremost, I was of many Jaguar fans that (after our 0-8 start) didn't mind losing games as I felt this would put a stranglehold on our ability to select Teddy Bridgewater with the #1 overall pick, securing our franchise QB while changing the fortunes of our franchise for 10-15 years. Then the Jaguars starting winning and I started thinking; if the Jaguars brass truly thought there was a QB in the upcoming draft that was worth tanking for, why just not start Blaine Gabbert? He (Gabbert) singlehandedly would assure this franchise of that #1 overall pick that has seemed to elude us.

I've turned into a draft junky over the past 5-6 years as (unfortunately) there has been little to cheer about as Jaguar fan through the NFL regular season, I was reading a Bleacher Report "Huge Upside" article (written by Matt Miller) last week where he wrote this about Bridgewater; " there are rumors his value around the league isn't quite on par with the media's love affair with him". No one knows what Matt Millers scouting sources are but usually where there's smoke there's fire. I also ran across this note from Albert Breer on Friday;

NFL.com's Albert Breer writes that Jacksonville is comfortable with "screwing up its draft pick" by winning four of its past five games.

"They're OK with the way this is going, for a few reasons," Breer wrote. "1) There's no Andrew Luck in the upcoming draft class; 2) fixing the culture is more important than the addition of a single player, and the positive reinforcement the young players are receiving now is invaluable in that quest; 3) this all marks the development of a draft class that GM Dave Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley hope can be a bedrock in their rebuilding effort."

Again take it as you will, but it's becoming apparent to me there isn't a slam dunk (and there usually never is) QB prospect in this draft, and I can't see David Caldwell reaching on a guy that doesn't warrant the selection, that's how the Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars, & Minnesota Vikings got in trouble back in the 2011 when Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, & Christian Ponder all went in the top 12. I see us drafting the BAP in the 1st round, and finding a QB in FA or later in the draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

if in right spot to take him I want Clowney.

Just because we need a qb, like 75% of the league does, doesn't mean we need to reach for a player that Caldwell might not see as a franchise qb. I would not be disappointed if we ended up picking a LEO. This franchise does need to start drafting QBs more often though. We've picked like 3 in the last 15 years? Off the top of my head, Garrard in the 4th, leftwich and gabbert in the 1st? Leftwich and Gabbert were reaches when we picked them because we were desperate for a Franchise qb. Garrard was picked in the 4th and was better than both.
No commercial messages in sigs

Because on paper the draft is interesting and you'd think you can align all the stars and hit home runs through the draft and the team would be great. Football games in the NFL aren't won on paper.

No pain, no gain.

Quote: 

I've turned into a draft junky over the past 5-6 years as (unfortunately) there has been little to cheer about as Jaguar fan through the NFL regular season, I was reading a Bleacher Report "Huge Upside" article (written by Matt Miller) last week where he wrote this about Bridgewater; " there are rumors his value around the league isn't quite on par with the media's love affair with him". No one knows what Matt Millers scouting sources are but usually where there's smoke there's fire. I also ran across this note from Albert Breer on Friday;

For what it's worth, the media was in love with Gabbert too. Most had him pegged as the first pick (even over Cam) when he declared for the draft. Not saying Bridgewater is Gabbert but the draft "experts" could easily be overrating him.

;

;

Quote:For what it's worth, the media was in love with Gabbert too. Most had him pegged as the first pick (even over Cam) when he declared for the draft. Not saying Bridgewater is Gabbert but the draft "experts" could easily be overrating him.

It's possible; it's also possible that he'll turn into a great QB, that's the beauty of the entire process. I think teams are terrified of missing on a QB, because if you miss on a QB you potentially miss on the opportunity to draft an A.J. Green, J.J. Watt, Robert Quinn, Nick Fairley, Aldon Smith, Mike Pouncey, Ryan Kerrigan, Julio Jones, Von Miller etc..., all of those guys went in the top 16 in the 2011 draft.

Just because some analyst says there isn't a slam dunk QB in the draft doesn't make it a fact. They aren't GM's for a reason.

I was high on Bridgewater early in the season but I've mellowed out on him. Yes, I overrated him.  A lot of it was how desperately I wanted a great QB here.  In all reality he is no Luck or RGIII type prospect at the moment.  It will be interesting to see how things play themselves out but I don't see him as being the first QB taken.  I still think he has the ability to be a great QB at the NFL level but there's no sure fire draft pick.  I would be fine with him at QB if that's what Caldwell thought was best.  I still trust Caldwell until I see reason not to.  What Caldwell does will be fine with me and I will enjoy watching how players develop.  I like that we have higher numbers of picks for him to work with and I'd like to see more added either before the draft or throughout it.  

If Gus is what I think he is, having a high draft pick is not nearly as important.  If we have a good coaching staff that can develop players (boy, what a change that would be! It's only been over a decade since we've had that here.) and Caldwell can find talent we'll see big progress sooner than later.  

The draft is a lottery plain and simple.  Even GM's aren't sure how players are going to work out.  Pick your favorite numbers and hope for the best. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Just because some analyst says there isn't a slam dunk QB in the draft doesn't make it a fact. They aren't GM's for a reason.
How many GM's have missed on top 10 picks as well?  It's a lottery

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Round 1 BAP 

QB 2nd or 3rd round.

Quote:Round 1 BAP 

QB 2nd or 3rd round.

1st Round BAP

2nd Round BAP

This draft is absolutely loaded, we'll likely be in a position to draft a guy in the 2nd round that has a 1st round grade.

Quote:Just because we need a qb, like 75% of the league does, doesn't mean we need to reach for a player that Caldwell might not see as a franchise qb. I would not be disappointed if we ended up picking a LEO. This franchise does need to start drafting QBs more often though. We've picked like 3 in the last 15 years? Off the top of my head, Garrard in the 4th, leftwich and gabbert in the 1st? Leftwich and Gabbert were reaches when we picked them because we were desperate for a Franchise qb. Garrard was picked in the 4th and was better than both.
Leftwich and Gabbert were not 'reaches'. By most analysts views they were both top QBs prior to the draft. Did they end up failing, of course. But they were not considered reaches when we drafted them.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:How many GM's have missed on top 10 picks as well?  It's a lottery

We seem to have missed pretty hard between 6-10 in our history and it looks like we will be there again. Lets hope our luck has turned.

Picks between 6-10 in our history. Certainly trended in the wrong direction.

Gabbert

Alualu

Harvey

Reggie Williams

Leftwich

Henderson

F. Taylor

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013, 01:40 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Leftwich and Gabbert were not 'reaches'. By most analysts views they were both top QBs prior to the draft. Did they end up failing, of course. But they were not considered reaches when we drafted them.

No, they were not reaches. Just QB with a few glaring weaknesses. Weaknesses that good GM's could see would preclude them from being successful NFL QB. 

I really wish people would stop saying "Luck/RG3 prospect".  Luck has been extremely average this year and RG3 is regressing more and more each week.  

Quote:I really wish people would stop saying "Luck/RG3 prospect".  Luck has been extremely average this year and RG3 is regressing more and more each week.  

Luck has nothing on offense, other than a midget WR they play on the outside by necessity. 

Put Luck on the Bengals offense and we're talking a superbowl team. 

We can all agree this team needs an infusion of talent. I wouldn't be opposed to Barr, Nix, Amaro, Evans, or Watkins. Best available player sounds good to me because there is no position on this team that is solidified. We do have young talent on this team like Ace, Shorts, Blackmon, Cyprien, and Gratz, but you can never have enough. I'm very excited for the future because of the head coach and gm we have.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM by MoJo44.)

I think you have to go BAP in round one.  We have a lot of holes and we cannot afford to "reach" on a prospect.  If the BAP is a QB -- great.  Take him.  If not, then wait and draft a QB in round two or three.

My ideal scenario...

Round one: Khalil Mack

Round two: ASJ or Bryan Stork

Round three: Zach Mett

Boy, would this make me happy.

Quote:We can all agree this team needs an infusion of talent. I wouldn't be opposed to Barr, Nix, Amaro, Evans, or Watkins. Best available player sounds good to me because there is no position on this team that is solidified. We do have young talent on this team like Ace, Shorts, Blackmon, Cyprien, and Gratz, but you can never have enough. I'm very excited for the future because of the head coach and gm we have.

Couldn't agree more.