Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Quarterback versus Non-Quarterback

Quote:He thinks we should draft Corey Robinson.  If you've never heard of him, don't feel bad.

Oh, this is him? I already called that guy on it. Must've changed icons and I didn't notice.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Since you're just going to twist whatever someone says into fitting your troll agenda, sure. Let's go with that.

What do you propose that the Jaguars do at the quarterback position this offseason? Just curious.
Wait and see.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:Wait and see.

With...Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert as the top two options  :woot:

Quote:He thinks we should draft Corey Robinson.  If you've never heard of him, don't feel bad.
Did I ever say we should draft Corey Robinson? Go ahead and try.

The question on the other draft a quarterback thread was who is your so and so.

Robinson is simply a prolific passer.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2013, 08:29 PM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:With...Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert as the top two options  :woot:
If that's the way it works out, isn't this ridiculous?

You want Teddy, right?

If so, please tell me why.

Quote:You really care that much about Mayock's opinion that much, that's a tad weird. But your examples of the Blane Gabbert/David Garrard situation and the Leftwich situation were terribly misrepresented that's the part i was really referring to. But I know you won't let that stop you!
Misrepresented?

I think the two were very comparable.

We probably had the most if not nearly the most stable quarterback situation in the entire NFL. We had a solid veteran in Brunell. We had an heir in Garrard, and even a spare in Quinn Gray. 

Then again, we had a stable quarterback situation with Garrard as the starter and Luke McCown as the back-up. Drafting Gabbert as the heir made sense. That gives you an heir and a spare as well.

Yet, in both cases a grave mistake was made involving the veteran.

hypothetically, if a team drafted a QB in the first round no matter what, you could have Ben Roethlisberger being backed up by Aaron Rodgers. Pick one, trade the other.

having a QB is way overrated, most of them are 1 trick ponies

Quote:Hypothetically, if a team drafted a QB in the first round no matter what, you could have Ben Roethlisberger being backed up by Aaron Rodgers. Pick one, trade the other.

Why would any team want to do that? If you know you want a player who is not a quarterback and he is available, you pick him.

I'm confident Caldwell will find an upgrade at QB.  That may be through the draft (1st round), a veteran, both, or a later draft pick to develop for a period of time while the veteran plays.  

Quote:I'm confident Caldwell will find an upgrade at QB.  That may be through the draft (1st round), a veteran, both, or a later draft pick to develop for a period of time while the veteran plays.  

I will be mad if the first round pick is not a quarterback.

He would only sign a veteran as a backup.

Quote:I will be mad if the first round pick is not a quarterback.

He would only sign a veteran as a backup.

You really should move away from using absolutes.  By using them in these situations you're essentially predicting the future which is no more than a guess.  There may be a veteran stop gap or two available that would then transition into a back up role for a time.  Think what the Titans did with Locker/Hasselbeck.

Quote:You really should move away from using absolutes.  By using them in these situations you're essentially predicting the future which is no more than a guess.  There may be a veteran stop gap or two available that would then transition into a back up role for a time.  Think what the Titans did with Locker/Hasselbeck.

I am calling it like I see it. David Caldwell was very clear he wants to build through the draft and fill the gaps with veterans. Translation: draft the starting quarterback and sign a FA to back him up. No, I am not using absolutes here.

Quote:I am calling it like I see it. David Caldwell was very clear he wants to build through the draft and fill the gaps with veterans. Translation: draft the starting quarterback and sign a FA to back him up. No, I am not using absolutes here.

"He would only sign a QB as a backup" is an absolute statement and is nothing Caldwell has ever said, JW.  He may only sign a veteran as a backup but he could also us a veteran to fill the QB gap if no QB is available or is not worth taking in the 1st round in his eyes.  He can still draft a QB and sign a veteran to fill the starting role while the rookie learns and competes this season.  Similar to a Kolin Kaepernick situation in San Francisco with Alex Smith, not ever QB has to play from day one.  It's possible that's the case with a rookie QB here next season. 

Non-quarterback is 50-50 at this point. He is leaning, but expressed concern that quarterback is dominating the discussion. (as always)

I don't think that any QB individually sticks out from the rest so I feel like we can find our QB later in the draft. If it was up to me I would go with a big defensive play maker in the 1st round like Barr, Clowney, Mack, or maybe Watkins to help give our new qb help. I think Caldwell is going to sign some good interior O-Line men to beef it up in the off-season to give whoever we draft some protection.