Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
China launches "Jade Rabbit" Moon Rover and India launches a Mars Orbiter

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/12/0...r-mission/

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/12/0...-for-mars/

I decided to post these stories since nobody else would. I know they're a few days old, but it still doesn't make it any less newsworthy. It also raises some interesting questions about NASA and the ESA, and whether or not they are falling behind.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Title sounds kinky.

Quote:Title sounds kinky.
I didn't feel like posting two separate threads about this.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013, 04:54 PM by homebiscuit.)

Quote:http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/12/0...r-mission/

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/12/0...-for-mars/

I decided to post these stories since nobody else would. I know they're a few days old, but it still doesn't make it any less newsworthy. It also raises some interesting questions about NASA and the ESA, and whether or not they are falling behind.

Falling behind?  Hardly.  China is launching a simple moon rover - we had men walking there over four decades ago.  India launched a rover to Mars to accompany the four that we've landed there already; the latest by using a mind-boggling complex technique.  

No, they're just beginning to catch up.  

Btw, China's space program is only as good as the technology they can steal.

Quote:Falling behind?  Hardly.  China is launching a simple moon rover - we had men walking there over four decades ago.  India launched a rover to Mars to accompany the four that we've landed there already; the latest by using a mind-boggling complex technique.  

Well, China did send their first man up into Space in 2003. And NASA hasn't sent a Man back to the Moon, since 1972 with Apollo 17.

Quote:Well, China did send their first man up into Space in 2003. And NASA hasn't sent a Man back to the Moon, since 1972 with Apollo 17.

True, but we've launched many many people into space since the last Apollo mission.  James Michener was an historical novelist who wrote in the novel Space about the strong view among many scientists in the 50s and '60s that sending man to the moon was a waste of time and resources.  I happen to agree.  Their argument was based on the fact that we knew we could send people to walk it with enough resources and effort - it was a definite reachable goal.  What they wanted to concentrate on was sending people to Mars.  That's the true giant leap for mankind.  However, geopolitics steered the agenda rather than true scientific ambition.  Had our national resources and fickle passions not been distracted by Apollo, I thoroughly believe that man would have an outpost on Mars today.

I still think we're by far the most advanced as far as space is concerned (Curiosity Rover, anyone?). That said, I would love to see NASA's budget raised.

Neil deGrasse Tyson spoke about this in the Library of Congress 8 or so months ago. You can watch a video of his presentation here (warning: it's an hour and 42 minutes long). He may be slightly biased, but he raises some very good points.

Quote:Falling behind?  Hardly.  China is launching a simple moon rover - we had men walking there over four decades ago.  India launched a rover to Mars to accompany the four that we've landed there already; the latest by using a mind-boggling complex technique.  

Btw, China's space program is only as good as the technology they can steal.

They don't have to steal it.  They own any technology that's funded with US currency.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:They don't have to steal it.  They own any technology that's funded with US currency.
Not to mention that they own our banks too.

Wonder if the Chinese rover would find the stuff we left (or lack there of). 

Quote:They don't have to steal it.  They own any technology that's funded with US currency.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Quote:Wonder if the Chinese rover would find the stuff we left (or lack there of). 

Just some empty beer cans, a broken tailgating chair, and a cornhole board covered in vomit when Gene Cernan tried to spew into the hole (he failed to account for the gravity difference).  This whole ensemble is surrounded by drifting marks left by the moon rover.

Quote:Just some empty beer cans, a broken tailgating chair, and a cornhole board covered in vomit when Gene Cernan tried to spew into the hole (he failed to account for the gravity difference).  This whole ensemble is surrounded by drifting marks left by the moon rover.
Sounds like they went to the Jaguars parking lot instead of the Moon.  Ninja

Trivia fact: Did you know that more men have gone to the Moon, than have been to the bottom of the Ocean at the Marianas Trench? That's because the pressure at the bottom is over 8 tons per square inch. And now you know.

Quote:Sounds like they went to the Jaguars parking lot instead of the Moon.  Ninja

Trivia fact: Did you know that more men have gone to the Moon, than have been to the bottom of the Ocean at the Marianas Trench? That's because the pressure at the bottom is over 8 tons per square inch. And now you know.

Trivia fact: Did you know that there is human excrement on the moon? That's because it was deemed too heavy to be brought back (and what would be the point anyways?)

Quote:Trivia fact: Did you know that there is human excrement on the moon? That's because it was deemed too heavy to be brought back (and what would be the point anyways?)

Playboy pictures were incorporated into the extra-vehicular activity cuff checklists of Alan Bean and Pete Conrad during Apollo 12.

On a side note, the UK sends a lot of monnetary aid to India, as large populations live in terrible poverty & squalor, yet their government is spending billions on a pointless space program

Quote:Trivia fact: Did you know that there is human excrement on the moon? That's because it was deemed too heavy to be brought back (and what would be the point anyways?)
Yes, I know. It's truly a fascinating thing isn't it?

I like the idea of some far off, alien race visiting the moon one day looking for signs of life, and they come across a bag of human excrement, forcing them to spend hundreds of years studying it and what it means

Quote:I like the idea of some far off, alien race visiting the moon one day looking for signs of life, and they come across a bag of human excrement, forcing them to spend hundreds of years studying it and what it means

With any luck, the poop has already become a radioactive mutant life form. Just imagine the surprise the Chinese will have when they are roving around up there...

BREAKING NEWS: China just became only the third Country in history to successfully land a probe on the Moon.