Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fulham Update For Those Interested

Hi all ! just thought id let you know whats going on across the atlantic concerning fulham !

As i seen in a previous post you may well know that Martin Jol ( Manager ) has been sacked. However , it isn't quite as simple as it may seem . Martin Jol hired a Head Coach to support him during this tough period who is called <b>René Meulensteen . Rene was Alex Ferguson's right hand man at Manchester United for i believe ten years ! so as you would expect we was very excited by this appointment which happened around two weeks ago . Now , Martin has been sacked and Rene is now in charge . Many seem to think that Rene was hired by Shad originally to take over from Martin Jol which Rene has denied . Although considering a day after Rene was appointed he hired Manchester United's Youth Team coach to the fulham ranks . Suspicious ? </b>

<b>Anyway , Rene is still classed as Head coach , this is a very different role compared to a Manager in soccer. A manager is more the players person , the motivator , the tactic decider etc , while the head coach is responsible for training drills etc . So technically we haven't now got a manager , only a head coach ? but it seems Rene is going to do both . Quite Confusing if you don't understand the roles. </b><b>So now as it stands Rene is in charge of are beloved football club . Seeing as he has only had a short stint as a ' manager ' lasting around 3 weeks in another league we are all very nervous. </b>

<b>But we are currently lying 19th in the league which is in the relegation zone . The relegation zone is the last three teams in the table and if they are still there at the end of the season they get demoted to the lower league called The Championship . This is something WE DO NOT WANT !! . To put a finer point on it , i believe shad could around 70 million pounds if fulham get relegated due to the sponsorship , tv rights etc . We have currently lost 6 games in a row and have been very very poor. Martin Jol wouldn't drop the players who needed to be dropped i.e Berbatov , who quite honestly has been absolutely terrible , and his agent has also come out and said he wants to leave the club ! . </b>

<b>All in all this is a very difficult time for the club and i can assure you shad will be shaking in his boots. Rene has stated already that the club needs to invest in new players in the January Transfer window . Shouldn't be much to ask for 20-30 mill to spend to try and stay up rather than losing 70 mill if we go down in my opinion . </b>

<b>​But we have a game tonight if you can manage to watch , i know a lot of american fulham fans say they can watch nearly all the games on NBC i believe it is , if not i shall post some streams if you are interested.</b>

<b>​Any questions/querys I'm free to answer Smile</b>

<b>Thanks </b>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Thanks for the update and edification, Sammy. Best of luck to Fulham. How many games left in the season?

no problem Smile and 25 games are left , in all honesty we are that poor at the moment i can't see us winning any haha 

I've watched all the games since the last win (not really sure what channel they were on).  It's funny that in the NFL when you have a terrible record and out of playoff contention you're in a way better off losing due to getting a higher draft pick next year where as I'm guessing there are no heated discussions of fans wanting to tank the season vs. fans wanting to win in the Premier League. 

I'm still unsure of the structure.  Who's in charge of player personnel? 

Also, in terms of relegation, would Fulham basically be one of the better teams in the Championship league and likely to be promoted next year, or is it tough to get promoted back?

Also, what does it really mean that Jol was fired and and Rene has taken over? Will there be a drastic change in the way their offense/defense is played?

Thanks, Sammy.   Please post the streams when you can.   Much appreciated.   Hoping Fulham sees some new blood in January. Can you tell us more about the transfer window?   How long does it last - what types of players are available? 

:thanks:

About to watch city play, pulling for Fulham for shad and so city jump chelsea

Quote:I've watched all the games since the last win (not really sure what channel they were on).  It's funny that in the NFL when you have a terrible record and out of playoff contention you're in a way better off losing due to getting a higher draft pick next year where as I'm guessing there are no heated discussions of fans wanting to tank the season vs. fans wanting to win in the Premier League. 

I'm still unsure of the structure.  Who's in charge of player personnel? 

Also, in terms of relegation, would Fulham basically be one of the better teams in the Championship league and likely to be promoted next year, or is it tough to get promoted back?

Also, what does it really mean that Jol was fired and and Rene has taken over? Will there be a drastic change in the way their offense/defense is played?

Basically the roles are quite different for the manager and head coach 

Manager 

Selection of the team

Man managing players 

Planning tactics and instructions on the pitch

Giving the Head Coach and other coaches duties of what they want on the pitch 

The buying and selling of players in the transfer windows

Facing the media in pre match and post match interviews

Responsible for bringing the youth players into the first team.

Thats the role of the manager in a nut shell .

Head coach

The head coach is responsible for the training sessions. He will listen to what the manager wants and try to implement that into training regimes. So an example would be the manager wanting the team to play wider , using the wingers more instead of playing in the middle of the park . This would be translated down to the head coach whom with his team will create scenarios and coaching sessions based on what the manager wants .

I hope that makes some sort of sense haha

Relegation

The Championship is notoriously a very difficult league to get out of . Many teams don't succeed in there first attempt once they get relegated. Some clubs have been relegated from the premiership and then relegated from the championship ! . However , it all depends on how good your team is when you get relegated, as if you can keep some of your key players then you should hopefully be ok , although a lot of the ' good ' players will be bought by other teams in the premiership so your relegated team could just consist of dead wood and youth players which makes the whole situation a lot tougher. 

Offense/Defence

This is a very good point cobra, this is what we actually hope will happen. Rene will hopefully bring new ideas to the team and change how we play , this could be changing the tactics as i said above as an example or changing players. He will bring his ideas to the table and seeing as he is now in charge he will be able to do whatever he wants in all essence. Our attack ( offence ) is very very poor.  Its that poor that in our last game we had a total of ZERO shots on target ! , so hopefully rene will have something up his sleeve to make us much more of an attacking team .

I hope that covers all the points you mentioned VisitingCobra Smile if not i apologise haha 

Quote:Thanks, Sammy.   Please post the streams when you can.   Much appreciated.   Hoping Fulham sees some new blood in January. Can you tell us more about the transfer window?   How long does it last - what types of players are available? 

:thanks:

Its ok NYC4Jags i shall post the streams as soon as possible , well right after I've done this reply . 

The Transfer window is a european market. This means that all the clubs in europe have the chance to buy and sell players in other leagues within the time constraints. This is usually the 1st January till the 31st i believe. The transfer market is very very simple compared to drafts in the NFL.

It literally means that any club can bid for a player and if they want to come , the two clubs will discuss a fee and if they agree on that fee he will be sold ! simple as that . 

Clubs also have there own transfer list , these are basically players that the club they play for don't want. These are much easier for clubs to get as they know the club doesn't want them.

However , as i said , in the transfer market anything goes .

An example would be if fulham wanted Jermaine Defoe from Spurs . Fulham would place a bid to the club for lets say 5 million . Spurs could then reject that and say they don't want to sell , fulham could then call there bluff and bid 7.5 million , if spurs can't resist the money then they will sell !

All transfers operate between the clubs and not in a draft format or part of the FA . There is obviously guidelines to follow but none of the money from transfers goes to the Football Association .

Hope that clears it up Smile 

oh , one more point . Some players have what you call a ' release fee ' . This is when you sign a player and in their contract you can put that if a club bids lets say ' 10 million ' for you , then we have to accept . Whether transfer listed or not Smile 

Great information, Sammy.  Thanks again. 

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 03:37 PM by sammyffc.)

STREAMS 

Kick off is at 8pm English time ... its currently just turned 7 . So a hour ! 

http://www.coolsport.tv/stream13.html

http://atdhe.xxx/soccer/watch-fulham-fc-...spur-4i8ij

http://www.viplivesports.eu/sports/football.html

Shall post more once got some Smile

Game (match?) must be over by now. Anybody know who won? Maybe I'll Google it, hang on....looks like the Cottagers lost a tough one at home to Tottenham 2-1.

Can Gabbert play soccer/futbol? We could send him over during the transfer window.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Thanks for the info Sammy, you answered all my questions.   I wasn't able to watch this one, but it looked like they had a chance when I checked google and they were up one with 69 minutes left.  Next I checked they lost 1-2.  Looking at the standings I guess all hope is not lost since there are several 3 win teams in the league.  But they definitely need some wins because it looks like ties will get them nowhere.  

Can't stand soccer but since Shad owns the club, go KFC and hope ya'll do well.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Basically the roles are quite different for the manager and head coach 

Manager 

Selection of the team

Man managing players 

Planning tactics and instructions on the pitch

Giving the Head Coach and other coaches duties of what they want on the pitch 

The buying and selling of players in the transfer windows

Facing the media in pre match and post match interviews

Responsible for bringing the youth players into the first team.

Thats the role of the manager in a nut shell .

Head coach

The head coach is responsible for the training sessions. He will listen to what the manager wants and try to implement that into training regimes. So an example would be the manager wanting the team to play wider , using the wingers more instead of playing in the middle of the park . This would be translated down to the head coach whom with his team will create scenarios and coaching sessions based on what the manager wants .

I hope that makes some sort of sense haha

Relegation

The Championship is notoriously a very difficult league to get out of . Many teams don't succeed in there first attempt once they get relegated. Some clubs have been relegated from the premiership and then relegated from the championship ! . However , it all depends on how good your team is when you get relegated, as if you can keep some of your key players then you should hopefully be ok , although a lot of the ' good ' players will be bought by other teams in the premiership so your relegated team could just consist of dead wood and youth players which makes the whole situation a lot tougher. 

Offense/Defence

This is a very good point cobra, this is what we actually hope will happen. Rene will hopefully bring new ideas to the team and change how we play , this could be changing the tactics as i said above as an example or changing players. He will bring his ideas to the table and seeing as he is now in charge he will be able to do whatever he wants in all essence. Our attack ( offence ) is very very poor.  Its that poor that in our last game we had a total of ZERO shots on target ! , so hopefully rene will have something up his sleeve to make us much more of an attacking team .

I hope that covers all the points you mentioned VisitingCobra Smile if not i apologise haha 

I'm so confused. That manager/head coach differentiation may take a lifetime to get straight, as it is counter to how we think of the titles.

But thank you for the information. I may have to read it eight or nine times.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I'm so confused. That manager/head coach differentiation may take a lifetime to get straight, as it is counter to how we think of the titles.

But thank you for the information. I may have to read it eight or nine times.

To clear it up, it's probably better to think of a soccer manager as the GM and Head Coach rolled into one, whilst a soccer head coach similar to a co-ordinator.

What's interesting about this case is, the head coach is keeping that title, meaning that someone else will most likely be installed in a GM type role.

Maybe Shad Khan is attempting to bring an NFL style hierarchy to Fulham.

This has been tried before but without much success

Quote:To clear it up, it's probably better to think of a soccer manager as the GM and Head Coach rolled into one, whilst a soccer head coach similar to a co-ordinator.

What's interesting about this case is, the head coach is keeping that title, meaning that someone else will most likely be installed in a GM type role.

Maybe Shad Khan is attempting to bring an NFL style hierarchy to Fulham.

This has been tried before but without much success
Probably the best way of putting it!  Fulham will no doubt go for a Director of Football (GM type role - in charge of transfers).

Newcastle United recruited one this year, Joe Kinnear (was previously their manager), he managed to recruit one player on loan who they seem to be relying on this season!  He hasn't been received very well in Newcastle as after getting the job he went on national radio to talk about the new role and didn't seem to know any of the players names, calling Yohan Cabaye, Yohan Kebab (as well as the lack of recruitment)!  

Hi guys ! hope ya'll are ok 

MASSIVE game for fulham today , absolutely huge . In other words we basically have to win to help us have a chance to get out the relegation zone

15- West Brom : 15 points

16- Cardiff : 14 Points

17- West Ham - 13 Points

RELEGATION ZONE

18- Crystal palace - 13 Points

19- Fulham - 10 Points

20- Sunderland - 8 Points

The last thing we want is to lose this game and still be on 10 points. Meaning if west ham and palace win there next matches we could be 6 points behind . Devestating . 

Match is on Sky Sports One Over here so it should be Easy for you to watch 

When you say that none of the money from transfers goes to the Football Association do you mean that the individual teams pay each other and that none of the money paid goes to the Premier League?

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:When you say that none of the money from transfers goes to the Football Association do you mean that the individual teams pay each other and that none of the money paid goes to the Premier League?

Exactly that. Works like any other business, in that case the players are assets to sell and trade.

Fulham won.  Yesssss.