Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Would you be happy if

Would you be happy or unhappy under the scenerio of us picking 3-5 taking a defensive player in Barr or Clowney and passing on the QB in Johhny Football, Hundley, Barr. Then signing Cutler and drafting a QB in round 2 or 3.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

First off, Cutler will probably be tagged if a deal isnt reached.

And i still wouldnt want him even if he was available. Youre not going to win a superbowl with Cutler.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 01:44 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:First off, Cutler will probably be tagged if a deal isnt reached.

And i still wouldnt want him even if he was available. Youre not going to win a superbowl with Cutler.

There is no way the Bears will tag the injury prone-inconsistent Jay Cutler, considering they're having success without him with Josh McCown at the helm will make the decision a lot easier, I believe they'll draft a QB early in 2014.

[Image: 1687226c_afro-shaking-head-no_zps0f463663.gif]

Quote:There is no way the Bears will tag the injury prone-inconsistent Jay Cutler, considering they're having success without him with Josh McCown at the helm will make the decision a lot easier, I believe they'll draft a QB early in 2014.

Even assuming the Bears decide to go with Josh McCown has their short term QB in 2014,  the benefit of the Bears tagging Jay Cutler is it would open the door for them to trade Cutler.  With the demand for starting caliber QB's higher than the supply,  the Bears should be able to get at least what the 49ers got from the Chiefs for Alex Smith.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:Even assuming the Bears decide to go with Josh McCown has their short term QB in 2014,  the benefit of the Bears tagging Jay Cutler is it would open the door for them to trade Cutler.  With the demand for starting caliber QB's higher than the supply,  the Bears should be able to get at least what the 49ers got from the Chiefs for Alex Smith.

I don't think the Bears will go with Josh or Jay, they should draft a QB and go young. I doubt any team with a competent GM would give the Bears what the Chiefs gave the 49ers for a middle of the road QB, only to extend him for $15-$16M per year, no thanks.

Quote:First off, Cutler will probably be tagged if a deal isnt reached.

“The franchise tag for the quarterback position has unique challenges because the average comes out to be such a big portion of your cap and your total money available to spend on other players to acquire to help your team,” Emery wrote in a chat on Bears.com. ”With the franchise tag being so high for the quarterback position, to use it and not sign the individual to a long-term deal hurts the team because you lose the ability to prorate the amount of guaranteed salary over the length of the contract.”

I think they let him walk and they draft a QB 1-3 in 14

Quote:I don't think the Bears will go with Josh or Jay, they should draft a QB and go young. I doubt any team with a competent GM would give the Bears what the Chiefs gave the 49ers for a middle of the road QB, only to extend him for $15-$16M per year, no thanks.

A very realistic scenario is the Bears go into the 2014 season with the plan of Josh McCown being their starting QB.  With a draft pick in the top 2 rounds being used on a QB.   Especially since Bears HC Marc Trestman has an extensive and highly successful background in working with QB's. 

While Jay Cutler isn't a model of consistency,  he's still one of the most talented QB's in the NFL.  There are many teams in which Cutler would provide a huge upgrade for.  Even though Cutler does come with risks,  including two of the last 3 seasons,  he's missed a significant portion of the season,   I'll be surprised if Cutler doesn't get a contract in the dollar range you mentioned.

Having said all of this,  considering where the Jaguars are in their development,  Cutler wouldn't be a good option for them.

I was with you until the Cutler part.

I'd have no problem drafting a guy like Anthony Barr (who is big time) if Teddy Bridgewater isn't available.  But if we pass on a QB in round one, we MUST take one in round two.  We don't have the luxury to sit around and take some late round guy.  We need a quarterback as bad as any team in the league.

Quote:“The franchise tag for the quarterback position has unique challenges because the average comes out to be such a big portion of your cap and your total money available to spend on other players to acquire to help your team,” Emery wrote in a chat on Bears.com. ”With the franchise tag being so high for the quarterback position, to use it and not sign the individual to a long-term deal hurts the team because you lose the ability to prorate the amount of guaranteed salary over the length of the contract.”

I think they let him walk and they draft a QB 1-3 in 14

This is part of the reason why I think there's a very realistic chance the Bears use the Franchise Tag on Jay Cutler for the purposes of trading him,  not keeping him on the books at the $ figure for non-exclusive Franchise Tag QB's.

hmmmmmm......in the 3-5 spots.....yes, I'd be happy Barr or Clowney. Not so sure on Cutler tho but picking up a QB later would be good. Also, if Bridgewater fell to 3-5, I'd be good. If we slip below #5, I would be okay with Carr, Manziel, Mack, Watkins or possibly Mathews (although I think Pasztor is doing good at RT). Jace Amaro is kind of intriguing if we drop out of the top ten.

Quote:Would you be happy or unhappy under the scenerio of us picking 3-5 taking a defensive player in Barr or Clowney and passing on the QB in Johhny Football, Hundley, Barr, then signing Cutler and drafting a QB in round 2 or 3?

If Atlanta picks before us, forget about Clowney. Their biggest need in the draft is a defensive end.

We don't know yet if Hundley will declare. I have never seen him play, but would be totally shocked if he is a top 5 pick.

If reports about Johnny Football's personality concerns are accurate, I doubt he will be a Jaguar.

Quote:If reports about Johnny Football's personality concerns are accurate, I doubt he will be a Jaguar.

I've watched most of his games since last season and I still don't get why people think he has personality concerns.  I think he has the perfect personality when it comes to being a quarterback.  What personality concerns are you talking about?

Quote:I've watched most of his games since last season and I still don't get why people think he has personality concerns.  I think he has the perfect personality when it comes to being a quarterback.  What personality concerns are you talking about?

Yeah, me too. I haven't seen any red flags while watching his games. He is a leader and commands great respect in the huddle from what I've seen and heard. Too bad he pulled a Gabbert and smashed his thumb on a helmet a few weeks ago.

I don't know... I'd definitely pass on Manziel.  But trading down and getting Carr might not be so bad.  Or McCarron would be okay if available in round 2 (I'm not sure I'd grab him in the 1st).  Things may change by draft time though.  

Cutler's pretty 'eh' though.  He's too injury prone, and reminds me a little of another Bears QB who had their ups and downs.  Or another Jags QB that did.  I'd rather go into next season with Cutler than Henne, but I'm hoping we get a rising Star.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

I'm more interested mobileish QBs these days, but what's the situation with Mallett?  Is he likely to hit free agency? 

I love the idea of getting Barr or Clowney as our first pick, but instead of Cutler I would rather try and get Carr or McCarron in the second round. Although I would not be totally against getting Cutler in the offseason I think it would automatically make us a bigger threat. Then we could use that second pick on another defensive threat or a offensive lineman.

Yes to Barr. No to Cutler. If the Bears keep McCown, it'll take a new contract, probably cheap enough and they could draft themselves a new guy for the future. IF they are done with Cutler. Which in my opinion, if he wants a lot of ched, I'd be done with his broken up and down consistency.

But like an above poster said, if we don't go QB in the first we probably need to in the second. Which is something I've said a few times. Question is... in a QB happy league, how many get taken in the first?

Here's a theory, Barr at 2,3, 5, where ever.

Trade back into the first to grab a QB? We have lots of picks.

Or grab best QB at the top of 2?

Chad Henne will serve fine as our "bridge" QB I think.

But if someone is silly enough to lure him away for a "starting" gig.....

here's some other free agent QBs, that could be had for way cheaper than a Cutler would cost.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:13px;">Kellen Clemens

Matt Flynn

Josh Freeman

Rex Grossman

Shaun Hill

Charlie Whitehurst

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
Any, or mostly all, of these QBs will all serve the same purpose for a Carr, McCarron, Mettenberger, Manziel (whoever we pick, whenever we pick them) start the season if necessary, but mostly play backup for the year once our guy is certainly ready, which could be day one.

Quote: 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:13px;">Kellen Clemens<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);">, Matt FlynnJosh FreemanRex GrossmanShaun HillCharlie Whitehurst</span>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
Any, or mostly all, of these QBs will all serve the same purpose for a Carr, McCarron, Mettenberger, Manziel (whoever we pick, whenever we pick them) start the season if necessary, but mostly play backup for the year once our guy is certainly ready, which could be day one.
I will pass on all those qbs they are not worth it I would rather go with a rookie.

I think we will be able to get a QB in round 2 in a Boyd, or Mettenberg(acl injury now) or maybe a murray in round 3 because of his injury.

Im against trading back in to get the qb, last thing we need to do is trade away picks.

Cutler was just an idea since he will be on the market. My bet is a team who feels they have the pieces to win now will sign him.