Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"Jags The Worst Team Of All Time" Some Said...

Through 8 games not much of an argument could be made statistically or by any other means of measurement. 

Gene's Myth

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You are really gloating over three wins? We were on pace to be historically bad. I am a fan of the team and like the improvement buy I stand by any frustration that I posted to these boards. We didn't address QB and our line was a sieve. It is nice to have improved play especially in the positions drafted by the GM. Takes some of the sting out of the record.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Where are they at now?

They're saying that while the Jaguars were the worst team of all time in the first half of the season, they've improved enough recently to merely be very bad.

We can't just be a bad team.

We MUST quantify it and put a measurement on it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:You are really gloating over three wins? We were on pace to be historically bad. I am a fan of the team and like the improvement buy I stand by any frustration that I posted to these boards. We didn't address QB and our line was a sieve. It is nice to have improved play especially in the positions drafted by the GM. Takes some of the sting out of the record.
Who was gloating?

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote: 

They're saying that while the Jaguars were the worst team of all time in the first half of the season, they've improved enough recently to merely be very bad.
If a team is the worst of all time, then they are the worst of all time. Sniffing a win wouldn't be possible. That couldn't have been further from the truth, and to try and predict that 3, 4, 5, etc game in was ridiculous.

;

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 10:24 AM by iapetus.)

Quote:If a team is the worst of all time, then they are the worst of all time. Sniffing a win wouldn't be possible. That couldn't have been further from the truth, and to try and predict that 3, 4, 5, etc game in was ridiculous.

Wrong on just about all counts.

Firstly, the worst team of all time could quite easily beat a team that's not quite as bad. Teams beat better teams every week in the NFL - sometimes considerably better teams. That's one of the reasons the 0-16 question that kept flooding the O-Zone always got the answer it did; no matter how bad your team is, you can still win games if everything falls right, because at the end of the day you're still an NFL team.

Secondly, you seem to be working on an assumption that teams can't improve during the season. Clearly some things have changed for the Jaguars. That shows in the statistics and in observation of the games. Which is what you'd expect and want with a switch to a new coaching staff and system.

Thirdly, why do you believe you can't carry out any form of statistical analysis of a team's season based on half the season? Seems like a fairly good sample, given the size of the data set we're working with. And there are people out there that do do this and come up with some pretty good stats based on it.

Anyway, you asked what such people were saying, I told you what they're saying (because just before reading your post I'd been reading an article at a site that said exactly that). Jags were playing at a worst-team-ever level, now they're playing better. Stats (adjusted for opponents) show a vast difference between the first half of the season and what we've seen so far in the second half of the season (though both are bad).

Quote:Wrong on just about all counts.

Firstly, the worst team of all time could quite easily beat a team that's not quite as bad. Teams beat better teams every week in the NFL - sometimes considerably better teams. That's one of the reasons the 0-16 question that kept flooding the O-Zone always got the answer it did; no matter how bad your team is, you can still win games if everything falls right, because at the end of the day you're still an NFL team.

Secondly, you seem to be working on an assumption that teams can't improve during the season. Clearly some things have changed for the Jaguars. That shows in the statistics and in observation of the games. Which is what you'd expect and want with a switch to a new coaching staff and system.

Thirdly, why do you believe you can't carry out any form of statistical analysis of a team's season based on half the season? Seems like a fairly good sample, given the size of the data set we're working with. And there are people out there that do do this and come up with some pretty good stats based on it.

Anyway, you asked what such people were saying, I told you what they're saying (because just before reading your post I'd been reading an article at a site that said exactly that). Jags were playing at a worst-team-ever level, now they're playing better. Stats (adjusted for opponents) show a vast difference between the first half of the season and what we've seen so far in the second half of the season (though both are bad).
Your failing to grasp Worst of all time. The worst team of all time would not win a football game. Wouldn't happen.

Teams do get better, sure. My whole point was the sky is falling people who came out in droves early in the season were flat out wrong. They had no idea the level of talented teams we were playing, they didn't know what this team would do over the course of a whole season. The proclamtion was made by some, and they were wrong, period. There is no arguing that, can't do it.

worst of all timers don't win.

;

I liked the headline "Worst Team of All-Time wins 3 of 4"

My gloat comments pertains to name calling on these boards.  Sometimes we get a push and shove over differing opinions and name calling breaks out.  So when you put the "chicken little" crowd label disappearing..  that is what prompted my gloating comment.

Honestly if this team was still winless and losing by double digits every game...  yeah we would be close to historically bad.  The team has improved and it is visible thankfully.  I don't mind anyone's argument either way.  We have had years of awful management of this team and people complaining or "trolling" shouldn't come as a big surprise.

Heck prior to the salary cap jail when we were swinging for the fence, fans actually believed the Jaguars had it all figured out and would be a perennial power and be above losing records.  Hindsight sure has made it clear to me to enjoy the wins.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:I liked the headline "Worst Team of All-Time wins 3 of 4"
Ha, I know, makes a lot of sense huh?

;

Quote:My gloat comments pertains to name calling on these boards.  Sometimes we get a push and shove over differing opinions and name calling breaks out.  So when you put the "chicken little" crowd label disappearing..  that is what prompted my gloating comment.

Honestly if this team was still winless and losing by double digits every game...  yeah we would be close to historically bad.  The team has improved and it is visible thankfully.  I don't mind anyone's argument either way.  We have had years of awful management of this team and people complaining or "trolling" shouldn't come as a big surprise.

Heck prior to the salary cap jail when we were swinging for the fence, fans actually believed the Jaguars had it all figured out and would be a perennial power and be above losing records.  Hindsight sure has made it clear to me to enjoy the wins.
It was a chicken little crowd are you kidding me? There was no rationale, just doom and gloom. There was no sensible talk that could dissuade what they thought they knew. That crowd gets old on here.

;

In week 4 vs the Colts the Jaguars looked a whole lot like the worst team ever IMO.  At that point I adopted a "season's basically over - let's watch the rookies develop and see what we've got worth keeping" outlook.   I never jumped on the doom and gloom wagon - but the Jags were indeed a really, really, really bad team and I see why some did go there.  So glad they've begun to right the ship. 

I think the difference between epically bad performances and epically bad teams needs to delineated here.

Is the 2013 Jacksonville team the worst ever? No, not according to record anyway.

Did they put up some games that would have been listed under "worst performance EV-ARRRRR"? Quite possibly.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I think the difference between epically bad performances and epically bad teams needs to delineated here.

Is the 2013 Jacksonville team the worst ever? No, not according to record anyway.

Did they put up some games that would have been listed under "worst performance EV-ARRRRR"? Quite possibly.
Not too much could top the Spurgeon Wynn led Cleveland Browns when they played here. Forget the year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Not too much could top the Spurgeon Wynn led Cleveland Browns when they played here. Forget the year.

I think it was 2000. We also played the Cardinals that year and it was equally as pathetic.

I think, and it pains me to say it, that had Henne been the starter from camp this team would be pushing for a .500 record. The line has gotten better even without the top 2 tackles, the defense is getting better, and the schedule definitely got easier. Those early losses to KC, Oakland, and the Rams would've been a lot closer, maybe even wins.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I think it was 2000. We also played the Cardinals that year and it was equally as pathetic.

What was so pathetic about those 2 games?? IIRC we won those games like 48-0 and 45-7 or something like that, respectively....

Pretty much the highlight of a bad season, other than the Fred Taylor 234 game vs Pitt. 

Quote:I think, and it pains me to say it, that had Henne been the starter from camp this team would be pushing for a .500 record. The line has gotten better even without the top 2 tackles, the defense is getting better, and the schedule definitely got easier. Those early losses to KC, Oakland, and the Rams would've been a lot closer, maybe even wins.
Raiders and Rams, maybe. KC kicked our butts.

Quote:You are really gloating over three wins? We were on pace to be historically bad. I am a fan of the team and like the improvement buy I stand by any frustration that I posted to these boards. We didn't address QB and our line was a sieve. It is nice to have improved play especially in the positions drafted by the GM. Takes some of the sting out of the record.

Three wins in the last four games. A two-game winning streak. A three-game winning streak on the road. We would have won games before the bye week if we did not get the NFC and AFC West.