Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marks..

Gotta give Caldwell mad props on this FA signing. 

Its the kind of FA signing I love. - the ones that wind up outproducing the contract that they were obtained for. 

I hate the kind of FA signings that we had in the recent past such as Pashos/ Landry/ Session/ Porter/ even Poz, where we paid boatloads of money for merely "average" players; (maybe slightly above avg in Poz's case). I am hopeful that Caldwell can make more signings like Marks, and save the big FA money towards making a run at top quality FA should they become available. (like when Peppers was got by Chicago, for instance). I never have a problem with paying big $$$ for big time players - just hate paying big time money for average players. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:True.

He reminds me a little bit of Mike Peterson.

He's Baby Stroud.

Marks and Ball have been terrific.

;

;

Caldwell is finding guys who are hungry and still relatively young. Bradley is putting them in the best spots for his defensive scheme.  We are actually seeing balance  from a GM and Coach combo who are clearly on the same page and have a focused plan.

This is what the ravens , 49ers , etc feel on a consistent basis..... as if the team actually has direction, heart and a will to win. Obivously we arent that good yet but you get the idea.

Quote:David Caldwell must have had a good reason not to give both players the same number of years. My guess is he wanted to see if Marks deserves a 4-year contract before giving him one.

I think Marks came from a 3-4 D so maybe Dave wanted to make sure he could adjust back to 4-3 before giving him a long term contract.

Quote:Hmmmm.  Interesting thought.    How do they figure that #, again?   Is it the average salary of the top 5 players at the position?   That might be a little high.  The guys at the top of that list are really good and getting paid some handsome coin. 

I'd think he could be convinced to stick around with a 4 year deal  - annual base salary around 2.5 - 2.8 mil per year and some nice incentives for number of sacks, pressures, tackles for loss etc.  (possibility of making around 4 mil per year if he maxes out the incentives)

The tag is probably more like 7 mil per year.  If he had 8 sacks right now instead of 3, then maybe.....

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/defensive-tackle/

In 2013,  the Non Exclusive Franchise Tag for a DT was relatively close to the number you mentioned but was on the higher side:  $ 8,450,000

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000...ag-numbers

The following article explains the Franchise Tag formula better than I can.  While the entire article relates to the discussion,  points # 1 and # 2 specifically answer the question that you asked.    As you will see,  the formula changed to some extent in the 2011 CBA,  compared to prior to that point:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...chise-tag/

The final 4 games could easily go along way in determining Sen'Derrick Marks' value.   Another key factor is the full list of DT's available on the open market come March.  Supply and demand can go along way in determining how the Jaguars proceed and the size of the contract Marks eventually ends up signing.

Quote:I think Marks came from a 3-4 D so maybe Dave wanted to make sure he could adjust back to 4-3 before giving him a long term contract.

Tennessee has been using a base 4-3 for a long time.  Yet,  related to what you mentioned,  Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley likely wanted to see how Sen'Derrick Marks adjusted to the Jaguars Defensive structure before making a long term commitment.   The fact that the demand for Marks services wasn't much this past off-season suggests that most teams were skeptical that Marks would put together the type of season he's having with the Jaguars.   

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013, 02:01 AM by Jungle Cat.)

We start discussing top defensive tackles in the 2014 draft and look what happens to our defensive tackles.

Minnesota DT Ra'Shede Hageman and South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles may each be legitimate best player available selections at the first two places we select next year.

Marks had his chance to shine way back at the start of the season. He is now expendable based on too small of a sample size of outstanding play.

In the NFL you have to bring greatness every play of every game, every single week. Marks is simply a tease.

It is erroneous and far too simplistic to ask a player to find the peak of his ability. The task is to find players more abler than the opponent and see to it that they always perform above the ability of the opponent.

Football is played shoulders up. Football is winning the one on one battles each and every play. You win Super Bowls filling your roster with the best possible talent at each and every position. This is accomplished through the draft.

The biggest mistake the Jaguars have made in this new period is not cleaning out Gene Smith's scouting and PR staff.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:We start discussing top defensive tackles in the 2014 draft and look what happens to our defensive tackles.

Minnesota DT Ra'Shede Hageman and South Carolina DT Kelcy Quarles may each be legitimate best player available selections at the first two places we select next year.

Marks had his chance to shine way back at the start of the season. He is now expendable based on too small of a sample size of outstanding play.

In the NFL you have to bring greatness every play of every game, every single week. Marks is simply a tease.

It is erroneous and far too simplistic to ask a player to find the peak of his ability. The task is to find players more abler than the opponent and see to it that they always perform above the ability of the opponent.

The biggest mistake the Jaguars have made in this new period is not cleaning out Gene Smith's scouting and PR staff.

Wow.
Shock the world

Quote: 

Football is played shoulders up. Football is winning the one on one battles each and every play. You win Super Bowls filling your roster with the best possible talent at each and every position. This is accomplished through the draft.

[Image: 45269.original-5547.gif?q=65&sharp=15&vi...=521&h=521]

Quote:Wow.
Turn on the lights and the rats run for cover.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote:[Image: 45269.original-5547.gif?q=65&sharp=15&vi...=521&h=521]

Do you need a dumb-down analysis to understand?

Quote:Do you need a dumb-down analysis to understand?
Oh, no thank you.  I would like you to please put down the crack pipe, step slowly away from the computer and contact your therapist ASAP.  

Quote: 

[Image: gold%20bar.jpg]  

Quote:Turn on the lights and the rats run for cover.

Double wow.
Shock the world

Quote:We start discussing top defensive tackles in the 2014 draft and look what happens to our defensive tackles.

Who is talking about defensive tackles in the first two rounds? All I see on the college forum is Jadaveon Clowney, a defensive end.

Actually it would not be a bad idea to draft a defensive lineman in a later round, but right now I am just happy to have the guy with gold teeth.

Holy smokes, the exchange in the post above just about melted my brain.

Quote:Do you need a dumb-down analysis to understand?

[Image: troll_dance_by_ileeuu-d3dadex.gif]

;

;

Quote:Yeah, I'd very much like to hold on to him.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Wink

Is anybody concerned Sen'Derrick Marks will want to look for a job elsewhere because the Jaguars suck? Or has he made it clear he wants to be part of the rebuilding process?

I have no doubt David Caldwell will make every attempt to retain him if he tries to get away, but hope that will not be necessary.