Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Winston Guy's Big Hit

Did anyone get the chance to review his hit on Josh Gordon? It didn't look illegal to me, it seemed like he led with his shoulder and not his head. Really excited we have a hard hitting player, but it could be a problem due to the NFL trying to make a safer game.

It seems like the refs are calling penalties just because the hit looks painful. I could be wrong though...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM by Haterade.)

It wasn't hard enough if you noticed Gordon came back and continued dominating

Quote:Did anyone get the chance to review his hit on Josh Gordon? It didn't look illegal to me, it seemed like he led with his shoulder and not his head. Really excited we have a hard hitting player, but it could be a problem due to the NFL trying to make a safer game.

It seems like the refs are calling penalties just because the hit looks painful. I could be wrong though...
The officials throw the flag when they see the player's head being rocked violently from being hit.  Sometimes it isn't another helmet that caused it - but they will throw the flag anyway if there is doubt.  It's a CYA-type-of -thing by the league in the midst of a concussion-driven PR issue. 

Quote:It wasn't hard enough if you noticed Gordon came back and continued dominating
I honestly don't know how he was cleared to come back in. He looked a bit dazed the rest of the game. At least he was gone for awhile.

Its impossible to have perfect aim when going 100%, especially when the WR is in the air. The league is become a joke.

I'm pretty sure that Mike Pieria(?)(head ref guy) tweeted that it was close, but was indeed a clean hit.

I wonder if its the side-effect of PEDs thats causing the older players' problems as opposed to the hits

It looked clean to me.

Did he launch himself? 

Section 214. Go Canes!

Quote:I'm pretty sure that Mike Pieria(?)(head ref guy) tweeted that it was close, but was indeed a clean hit.
I don't think he's affiliated with the league anymore actually.  Works for FOX Sports I believe. 

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 10:02 PM by Unravel.)

Quote:I don't think he's affiliated with the league anymore actually.  Works for FOX Sports I believe. 

You're correct. He used to be the head ref guy though, so his opinion has some clout in my book.

EDIT: This is the aforementioned tweet:

https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/4...5309207552

Quote:In CLE, that's a close high hit -- but it's not a foul

Quote:Did he launch himself? 

Nope

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Evans > Guy

Quote:Evans > Guy
Ok? 

Quote:Ok? 

Basically posted to this one poster who seems to have a problem with Evans. 

Quote:Evans > Guy

Disagree.

Evans has struggled about 80% of the time he's been on the field. Nothing horrible  - just a step off here and there and a moment slow seeing and reacting to the play.  Guy has given up one big play by going for the ball instead of the receiver  -  but looks basically more comfortable and reacts a split second quicker.  

Guy has played better than Evans has.  

I don't think it's any major issue or anything.  Evans has shown some flashes that lead most of to think that he will likely be a good safety with a little maturity and experience.  The fact that he has a "Guy" pushing him on the roster is a great thing.  He will likely benefit greatly from being pushed this season and  during next year's camp and preseason.   It will be fun to see who starts along with Cyp next year.   

(Hoping Evans injury isn't serious, BTW)

Quote:Evans has struggled about 80% of the time he's been on the field. Nothing horrible  - just a step off here and there and a moment slow seeing and reacting to the play.  Guy has given up one big play by going for the ball instead of the receiver  -  but looks basically more comfortable and reacts a split second quicker.  

Guy has played better than Evans has.  

I don't think it's any major issue or anything.  Evans has shown some flashes that lead most of to think that he will likely be a good safety with a little maturity and experience.  The fact that he has a "Guy" pushing him on the roster is a great thing.  He will likely benefit greatly from being pushed this season and  during next year's camp and preseason.   It will be fun to see who starts along with Cyp next year.   

(Hoping Evans injury isn't serious, BTW)

I just think Guy helps give our defense an identity - something they've been missing since like 2007. 

With Guy and Cyprien back there, you will get hit. Much like the 49ers of years past with Whitner and Goldson. If we can get a couple of linebackers that can actually play along with a pass rush, our defense will be fine. Evans is a couple steps late on every play, while Guy is usually right on time. I say usually because he got beat on that Gordon 95yd TD. 

Quote: I say usually because he got beat on that Gordon 95yd TD. 
He'd have been fine actually if he'd played the receiver and just tackled the guy. He tried to reach in front of him and bat the ball - putting himself out of position to tackle him once the ball got past him.   You can bet that one gets "coached up" this week. 

Quote:I just think Guy helps give our defense an identity - something they've been missing since like 2007.

With Guy and Cyprien back there, you will get hit. Much like the 49ers of years past with Whitner and Goldson. If we can get a couple of linebackers that can actually play along with a pass rush, our defense will be fine. Evans is a couple steps late on every play, while Guy is usually right on time. I say usually because he got beat on that Gordon 95yd TD.

Guy is good. I think Evans is going to be good also. He is physical and has the size and passion for the game. I'm hoping he can make some plays out there. Cyp an Evans are boys
Shock the world