Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
cutting the cord

So I've been toying with the idea of cancelling cable/uverse for some time, just going with online streaming TV, Nextflix, Hulu that kind of stuff.

Multiple reasons but mostly because I'm tired of paying $120-130 month for TV and Internet. I have to have the internet and it just seems like I'm almost able to find anything I'd like to watch on TV online one way or another.

Anyone on here cut the TV services and goes with strick online streaming? Which service is best, I was looking at Amazon Prime but like Netflix most of those "included" streams look old. I've got netflix now but mostly just for the kids shows every now and then I'll find something to watch on it, but if I got full time no TV I'd run out of stuff on there fast. Anyone have feed back on Hulu Plus?

Sports I'm ok I got a few streaming sites, and can always catch a game at the sports bar in town, news I already get online anyways.

Someone tell me they've done it and give me that magic formula!

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 12:59 AM by Bon Jagley.)

I haven't had cable in a year and don't miss it at all.

I don't watch much TV anyway. But the few shows I do watch (Daily Show, SNL, The Black List, Family Guy) are on Hulu Plus. So I do pay the 8 bucks or whatever for Hulu Plus.

I would recommend getting a Roku. Lots of good free apps.

;

;

I haven't had cable in years. I get everything I need from Netflix, Hulu Plus and other means via the internet.

It's a fraction of the cost and I have no regrets. It's probably the right call.

I've grown accustom to waking up every Saturday mourning and watching the train wreck that is Fulham fc so I cannot justify cutting any coords just yet (plus I got an at&t contract).

I think after the season over I'm going to make the dive into the cable free world, my Brother-In-Law already has, and I know a few other family friends that have. I really don't watch that much TV but it's kind of like when I got ride of the old video game system I never played, I kept thinking can I really have no video games? can I really have no cable?

:woot: Whats next no internet?

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 08:04 AM by EricC85.)

On Hulu the only show I can't seem to find is Sons of Anarchy, but I can purchase those from Amazon for 3 bucks, so that's not a big deal. Does Ruku get you Espn streams? Or can you pay to stream a specific channel like NFL Network?

My brother has never had cable. His family uses the above methods as stated earlier. They don't seem to mind. He's pretty cheap. He doesn't pay for much because the government pretty much gives him everything he needs and pays him a nice salary. But, he does have some really cool toys. Some of which the state of California won't allow him to have. Soi guess there is that benefit of not spending money on cable. I find him to be a bit odd. Not quite as normal as me.

Quote:On Hulu the only show I can't seem to find is Sons of Anarchy, but I can purchase those from Amazon for 3 bucks, so that's not a big deal. Does Ruku get you Espn streams? Or can you pay to stream a specific channel like NFL Network?

SoA is on Netflix
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:On Hulu the only show I can't seem to find is Sons of Anarchy, but I can purchase those from Amazon for 3 bucks, so that's not a big deal. Does Ruku get you Espn streams? Or can you pay to stream a specific channel like NFL Network?
BUt it's totally internet pricay that is killing the TV networks, not legal alternatives with much better service and options. Nope, totally internet piracy.

I cut mines a year ago, mainly run netflix, I had hulu but hated that it still had plenty of commercials even with plus.  I mean hell if I'm going to pay to watch network shows (which is what it mainly is), and still have to put up with a bunch of commercial breaks, I may as well use my Windows Media Center and record them for free.  I used prime a year or two ago, the selection wasn't great at that time so I cancelled it (i'm sure it's much better now).  Most new shows I have my ways to get them on my htpc for viewing, *cough* *cough*

I usually reup MLB.TV when the season starts, shame NFL doesn't have such a service (at least I don't think they do).  

I use all of them.

Amazon

Vudu

Netflix

Apple TV

Did a trial run on Hulu but didn't care for it.

All of them are a little different, it really depends on which shows you wanna watch. I prefer ATV which has Netflix built into it. Sorry but no magic formula. I know you watch SOA and Walking Dead, both of those are available on iTunes like a day after they air.

Quote:SoA is on Netflix

Yea but its the year after on NetFlix that just won't do lol

Quote:BUt it's totally internet pricay that is killing the TV networks, not legal alternatives with much better service and options. Nope, totally internet piracy.

I was reading up on this, the day of pay TV is coming to an end, I don't know what it will evolve to but I'm honestly one of the last few people I know that still has a pay TV service

Quote:I use all of them.

Amazon

Vudu

Netflix

Apple TV

Did a trial run on Hulu but didn't care for it.

All of them are a little different, it really depends on which shows you wanna watch. I prefer ATV which has Netflix built into it. Sorry but no magic formula. I know you watch SOA and Walking Dead, both of those are available on iTunes like a day after they air.

Yes those are my 2 big ones, I'll just end up paying for those episodes every week I've accepted that

Quote: 

Yes those are my 2 big ones, I'll just end up paying for those episodes every week I've accepted that

That's my formula EC85.   I've used apple TV, and netflix-on-demand for 3 years running.  

Basic cable in my neighborhood is $120 - w/o premium channels.  I pay for the seasons/shows/movies that I want right away on iTunes or amazon and still come out way ahead of that 120 per month.   I think my total spending last year on tv/movies/netflix was under $600.  

I think HBO and Showtime will be offering something online without a cable subscription at some point soon - it's inevitable.  

Quote:That's my formula EC85.   I've used apple TV, and netflix-on-demand for 3 years running.  

Basic cable in my neighborhood is $120 - w/o premium channels.  I pay for the seasons/shows/movies that I want right away on iTunes or amazon and still come out way ahead of that 120 per month.   I think my total spending last year on tv/movies/netflix was under $600.  

I think HBO and Showtime will be offering something online without a cable subscription at some point soon - it's inevitable.

ATV and Netflix is pretty much what I do now too. I've only had the Apple TV for about a month, but I really like it so far.

In my second home I use a roof antenna for over the air broadcasts for free. A 32" HDTV and it's sufficient. I can stream Hulu for free too if I need to watch something other than what the 9 channels offer.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Quote:In my second home I use a roof antenna for over the air broadcasts for free. A 32" HDTV and it's sufficient. I can stream Hulu for free too if I need to watch something other than what the 9 channels offer.

I'm in the sticks so no antenna for me, I might be lucky to get one channel but I talked to a few neighbors and they don't get anything at all with them.

Quote:I'm in the sticks so no antenna for me, I might be lucky to get one channel but I talked to a few neighbors and they don't get anything at all with them.

My brother lives about 30 miles outside of Jacksonville and gets reception from a rooftop antenna.

Quote:My brother lives about 30 miles outside of Jacksonville and gets reception from a rooftop antenna.

I'm 30 miles outside of Palm Coast being the biggest and closest city. Our local channels are broadcasted from Orlando, the antenna's just don't get it done out here. 

Quote:In my second home I use a roof antenna for over the air broadcasts for free. A 32" HDTV and it's sufficient. I can stream Hulu for free too if I need to watch something other than what the 9 channels offer.

I know someone who uses the dish, and they let him just take the box from one house to the other.  He only pays for one dish account.   They give him a dish on each house at no extra charge.   When he moves from one house to the other, he just packs up the dish box (whatever you call it) and moves it with him.   There's no cable service at his second house. 

Quote:That's my formula EC85.   I've used apple TV, and netflix-on-demand for 3 years running.  

How do you watch football games?