Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Black Friday

Black Friday

Welp, the retailers have ruined a good thing. I am NOT going to start changing my plans to accommodate shopping on Thanksgiving night to get a good deal.

I have many times hit up stores at 6am the day after Thanksgiving (known as Black Friday), but I won't be doing so tomorrow. Do they think we are cattle they can feed anytime they want?

Black Friday on Thanksgiving night will ultimately cost these retailers the one good thing they had going for them (the kick off to Christmas shopping). What idiot thought this plan up? He/She should be fired for costing their companies the millions they will lose for trying to force feed the American consumer to shop after a long day with family celebrating Thanksgiving day. I'm pooped, I ain't going shopping, and Football is on. You can't compete with Football, and rest.

<div>Driven by greed, they will come to find out that they done went and changed the very day that set Christmas shopping in motion. Disastrous? I think it is very possible.
</div>

I guess I should have made a poll on this topic ... Who is going shopping tonight on Thanksgiving evening? Who is going in the early AM tomorrow? Who isn't going at all?

<div>What do you have to say about the retailers moving the deals to Thanksgiving night instead of Black Friday morning? I would be surprised to see this idea not repealed.

I Demand Black Friday Be Returned To Black Friday. :woot:  ... Who is with me? Banana
</div>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

From the line outside of Target when I drove by it earlier on the way home from dinner...a lot of people don't seem like they mind shopping tonight.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I'm not a fan of stores opening on thanksgiving. Theses companies are keeping their employees away from their families. I don't agree with that. As far as Black Friday, waaay too busy for me. I've done it once and will never do it again. It's just crazy!!! I saw on the news this morning a lady was lined out in front of some store to get a 30.00 dollar DVD player for 15.00. I personally would rather pay the extra fifteen to not have to deal with the crowd. Not that I'd be buying that anyways but still. Then I realize if she is camping outside all day to save fifteen dollars she doesn't have much. She seemed so excited about it too. Seeing that make me want me to go to her and say here, take this blu ray we don't use anymore.

Quote:I'm not a fan of stores opening on thanksgiving. Theses companies are keeping their employees away from their families. I don't agree with that. As far as Black Friday, waaay too busy for me. I've done it once and will never do it again. It's just crazy!!! I saw on the news this morning a lady was lined out in front of some store to get a 30.00 dollar DVD player for 15.00. I personally would rather pay the extra fifteen to not have to deal with the crowd. Not that I'd be buying that anyways but still. Then I realize if she is camping outside all day to save fifteen dollars she doesn't have much. She seemed so excited about it too. Seeing that make me want me to go to her and say here, take this blu ray we don't use anymore.

It's not always about not having the money for the product. It's the art of the deal. My brother...who is loaded, is one of those Black Friday deal shoppers...loves getting up and being out in that mess just to get something for next to nothing. Me...I don't care if the were giving away cars...I'm not camping out in front of a store for nothing!

I don't like the camping out thing. IMO it's just wrong to camp out throughout the entire Thanksgiving Holiday and miss out on family functions...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:It's not always about not having the money for the product. It's the art of the deal. My brother...who is loaded, is one of those Black Friday deal shoppers...loves getting up and being out in that mess just to get something for next to nothing. Me...I don't care if the were giving away cars...I'm not camping out in front of a store for nothing!

To each their own I guess. My experience was just so bad I'll never go again. Some people get much in a hurry it seems like all rules go out the window. Almost animal like. I had to keep myself in check a couple of times, otherwise I would have been locked up. People pushing and shoving. You know, if you get to something before me awesome, good for you, but don't put your hands on me and DONT even think about putting your hands on my wife or push her. When some guy who probably outweighed me by 65 lbs walked by and almost knocked my wife over as if she wasn't even there, I just about lost it and I went straight up to him until my wife and someone who apparently saw what was about to unfold both grabbed me and held me back. That look on the guys face was priceless. He was very apologetic all of a sudden. That was a few years back when I wasn't such a nice person. Perhaps now, it would be a better experience. But for me it's just not worth the hassle and potential problems.

Quote:To each their own I guess. My experience was just so bad I'll never go again. Some people get much in a hurry it seems like all rules go out the window. Almost animal like. I had to keep myself in check a couple of times, otherwise I would have been locked up. People pushing and shoving. You know, if you get to something before me awesome, good for you, but don't put your hands on me and DONT even think about putting your hands on my wife or push her. When some guy who probably outweighed me by 65 lbs walked by and almost knocked my wife over as if she wasn't even there, I just about lost it and I went straight up to him until my wife and someone who apparently saw what was about to unfold both grabbed me and held me back. That look on the guys face was priceless. He was very apologetic all of a sudden. That was a few years back when I wasn't such a nice person. Perhaps now, it would be a better experience. But for me it's just not worth the hassle and potential problems.

That really sucks, I wouldn't even think about shopping in any environment like that ... But if you ever needed backup, I wouldn't hesitate to call someone else to help you out. You know ... what are friends for? ... You can put my number on speed dial 1-800-Turkey9

Smile

Quote:That really sucks, I wouldn't even think about shopping in any environment like that ... But if you ever needed backup, I wouldn't hesitate to call someone else to help you out. You know ... what are friends for? ... You can put my number on speed dial 1-800-Turkey9

Smile
That wouldn't happen to be butterball's turkey help line would it?

I will never shop on Black Friday.

Quote:To each their own I guess. My experience was just so bad I'll never go again. Some people get much in a hurry it seems like all rules go out the window. Almost animal like. I had to keep myself in check a couple of times, otherwise I would have been locked up. People pushing and shoving. You know, if you get to something before me awesome, good for you, but don't put your hands on me and DONT even think about putting your hands on my wife or push her. When some guy who probably outweighed me by 65 lbs walked by and almost knocked my wife over as if she wasn't even there, I just about lost it and I went straight up to him until my wife and someone who apparently saw what was about to unfold both grabbed me and held me back. That look on the guys face was priceless. He was very apologetic all of a sudden. That was a few years back when I wasn't such a nice person. Perhaps now, it would be a better experience. But for me it's just not worth the hassle and potential problems.

I pretty much can't stand the crowds out shopping on a regular day...I damn sure ain't going out into that madness!! I think I'd probably end up in jail too! I can't stand rude crazy people!!!

Quote:I will never shop on Black Friday.

Agreed I did it one year to get my kids a trampoline, found it on amazon a month later for the same price. the "sales" are all smoke

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:That wouldn't happen to be butterball's turkey help line would it?

Ha, It should be if it isn't.

Good job. :thumbsup:

I go out in December for small things. Occasionally, I'll hit up Sears and JCPenney's, but only if I see something I think is cool at a really good price. For special things I almost always shop on-line. I hate the traffic, the lines and most of the other shoppers at big sales...I try not to get too annoyed with the salespeople. They usually have been given less information about their own sales than I have.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:I go out in December for small things. Occasionally, I'll hit up Sears and JCPenney's, but only if I see something I think is cool at a really good price. For special things I almost always shop on-line. I hate the traffic, the lines and most of the other shoppers at big sales...I try not to get too annoyed with the salespeople. They usually have been given less information about their own sales than I have.
I'm a December shopper too, usually late in December because, well, I guess that's what guys do right?

I used to really enjoy Christmas shopping when I lived up north. It felt Christmassy with the cold weather and occasional snow. Down here it just kinda feels like everyone's birthday is coming up on the same day.

If there wasn't a willing public demanding more opportunities to find great deals, stores wouldn't open on Thanksgiving.

It's not for everyone, but there are many who look at today/tomorrow as the Super Bowl of shopping, and they map out a strategy based on who has what on sale at what time. They always wind up getting the stuff they've targeted, and they got some super deals in the process. There are certainly deals to be had.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I've been wanting to start a thread on this all day but was too lazy busy.  Black Friday makes me sick.  I tell my kids about a time, not so very long ago, when almost every business shut down and the streets were empty because everyone was home with their families.  Now, my oldest daughter has to be at one of her jobs at 11:30 tonight and work until 6:00 in the morning.  It's wrong.  Pretty soon Thanksgiving and Christmas will be mere formalities leading up to retail sales events.  I'm sure Christmas morning blowout sales events are just around the corner.  

Why Spend Time With Your Family When You Can Save Up To 50% Off Items No One Else Wants Sale!

What's sad it there will be enough fools to give it traction.

/rant off

I thought briefly about going to get a GS4 for $50. Opted to get the GS3 for $0.97 two days before that instead. I'd rather not risk it.

Quote:I've been wanting to start a thread on this all day but was too<del> lazy</del> busy.  Black Friday makes me sick.  I tell my kids about a time, not so very long ago, when almost every business shut down and the streets were empty because everyone was home with their families.  Now, my oldest daughter has to be at one of her jobs at 11:30 tonight and work until 6:00 in the morning.  It's wrong.  Pretty soon Thanksgiving and Christmas will be mere formalities leading up to retail sales events.  I'm sure Christmas morning blowout sales events are just around the corner.  

Why Spend Time With Your Family When You Can Save Up To 50% Off Items No One Else Wants Sale!

/rant off
Couldn't agree more. Was almost going to say that about Christmas earlier too.

Quote:If there wasn't a willing public demanding more opportunities to find great deals, stores wouldn't open on Thanksgiving.

It's not for everyone, but there are many who look at today/tomorrow as the Super Bowl of shopping, and they map out a strategy based on who has what on sale at what time. They always wind up getting the stuff they've targeted, and they got some super deals in the process. There are certainly deals to be had.

I do understand what you say, but you can't just move Christmas to December 24th.

I will go on record to say, Black Friday will prevail in the end (imo). I simply can't envision Thanksgiving night becoming a replacement for Black Friday. It seems like a failure waiting to happen.

Happy Thanksgiving, FBT. Smile

Quote:I've been wanting to start a thread on this all day but was too lazy busy.  Black Friday makes me sick.  I tell my kids about a time, not so very long ago, when almost every business shut down and the streets were empty because everyone was home with their families.  Now, my oldest daughter has to be at one of her jobs at 11:30 tonight and work until 6:00 in the morning.  It's wrong.  Pretty soon Thanksgiving and Christmas will be mere formalities leading up to retail sales events.  I'm sure Christmas morning blowout sales events are just around the corner.  

/rant off

Rant appreciated.

You go Girl ... snap, snap. :yes: