Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The All Encompassing Thanksgiving Thread

I realize this is a little early, but hopefully everyone will be too busy tomorrow to post in here. In this thread we can wish others a happy thanksgiving, share embarrassing thanksgiving stories, and vent about that one family member we all have.

First off, I'd like to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. May you and your loved ones have safe travels. May your tables be full of great food, chairs be full with loved ones and friends(and uncle Ed), your minds filled with the thoughts and prayers for those less fortunate, and hearts filled will love and thanks.

I can't recall any embarrassing family stories. I'm sure there will be some to come. Maybe this year? Would love to hear yours though. I'll skip to weird/annoying family member.

Hmm, what family member to pick. Well, my side of the family is out because they are all normal. So, I guess I will have to choose amongst the many options on the wife's side. I think I will go with her oldest sister. I don't care what the topic of conversation is but she always has an opinion. 99.99% of the time I find that opinion to be one I don't agree with AT ALL! Sometimes she even gives "advice". This advice can be something from serious life issues or the most remedial thing you can think of. I also find her advice to be wrong as well. I will agree with one piece of "advice" she gave to me, yet question why on earth she felt she had to say it. For instance, about a month ago I was smoking a few boston butts for a get together. She advised me to never use pine in my smoker. Really? Thanks for that great bit of wisdom Einstein! What on earth made you think I would even think about that? Should I be offended she thinks I'm that dumb? Answer to that, yeah, I was offended. To make matters worse, she sometimes brings a dish to dinner. What's wrong with that? Well, she DOESNT let anyone eat it!!! She will have some and take it back ( that's cool you brought it, take it home with you) but, she ALSO BRINGS HER OWN CONTAINERS to take back as much of the other food to her house as possible. REALLY? It's thanksgiving, she'll do it again and I will be in the giving spirit so let her take it home.

Can't wait for tomorrow!! Smile

P.S. Happy thanksgiving everyone!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wow.  What a piece of work she is.  I don't know if I could tolerate that.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2013, 12:31 PM by EricC85.)

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time for my family. Not to many years ago the family ties where so bad that guns where pointed at one another ( it was a serious time and at one point I thought someone was going to die) Fast forward 7 years and those same family members come to my home, eat together, dine together, and honestly love each other. Not only is the family united it's stronger then ever, that old saying out of ashes comes new life is real for my family.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday it reminds me how far we've come and Damn it I love to eat!

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Wow.  What a piece of work she is.  I don't know if I could tolerate that.

Not that I want to defend her, but I let it slide because that particular sister is in bad shape financially. If we have the food and her family is hungry then take it. I'm a softy for giving during the holidays. We already decided Christmas is going to be heavily scaled back from last year. I don't mind trying to give her family a nice Christmas, but when it isn't appreciated, forget it. Her non stop running mouth of the other hand.... ( I can drown that out by pumping up my surround sound watching the games)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Already got some cooking done for tomorrow.

Embarrassing story?  Well, my wife's sister can't cook (not well, anyway.).  But she always brings something anyway, and it's always store bought.  But she passes it off as home cooked.  Of course my wife and I had the misfortune of talking about it in front of our triplets.  And being 6... last year when my wife's sister brought her 'home made' cookies -- our daughters had to say "We know they're store bought.  You just pretend that they're home made!"  And of course they said it at dinner in front of everyone.  Lesson learned.  Kids will repeat anything you say, and when you have triplets, there's 3x the chance of it happening. 

Family member to vent about?  Well my dad.  He's... not very smart.  He's also super religious (nothing wrong with that, except when he chooses to overshare his religious beliefs).  And he makes things very uncomfortable.  (He's also a tacks fan).  He always brings up the worst subjects.  He'll always let you know what you've done wrong in your life, and how you need to find god.  He has no idea what he's talking about 90% of the time.  I'd probably have a dozen embarrassing stories with him in it, but I've long since learned that nothing he says reflects on me.  But he's thankfully probably not coming to our Thanksgiving dinner, because he's going to go eat with his estranged brother. Which is a major relief.  So i guess the only family member I'll have to vent about this year (since it's only going to be my wife's side of the family, none of my side is coming) would be... nobody that's going to be there!  I get along with all of my wife's family.  Her sister is easy to get along with, and has an adorable 4 year old.  Her little brother and I are good friends, and his fiance is really nice.  And she brings a wonderful Apple Pie that her brother's wife makes.  Best Apple Pie I've ever had.  My wife's dad is really cool, and a great cook (his daughters never learned).  Her step mother is also pretty cool, and she and my wife get along.  And their kids get along with our kids.  I guess if I had someone to vent about it'd be my dad or my wife's mother (who I'd vent about because she doesn't show up, she always chooses to work Thanksgiving (She's an Internist at the Hospital), and then goes home and goes to bed, even though she knows she's invited, and it upsets my wife a little because she doesn't think her mom really does holiday's anymore.

Looking forward to cooking that Turkey tonight.  And my wife going to bed early tomorrow night, to go black friday shopping at 3:00 AM with our kids while I put up the tree (at 10:00 AM when I wake up).  .This is always my favorite time of year.  The wait up to Christmas is always my favorite part.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Thanksgiving is a wonderful time for my family. Not to many years ago the family ties where so bad that guns where pointed at one another ( it was a serious time and at one point I thought someone was going to die) Fast forward 7 years and those same family members come to my home, eat together, dine together, and honestly love each other. Not only is the family united it's stronger then ever, that old saying out of ashes comes new life is real for my family.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday it reminds me how far we've come and Damn it I love to eat!
Wow, I'm glad things got better. Gotta have your family around.

Quote:Not that I want to defend her, but I let it slide because that particular sister is in bad shape financially. If we have the food and her family is hungry then take it. I'm a softy for giving during the holidays. We already decided Christmas is going to be heavily scaled back from last year. I don't mind trying to give her family a nice Christmas, but when it isn't appreciated, forget it. Her non stop running mouth of the other hand.... ( I can drown that out by pumping up my surround sound watching the games)

That's completely understandable.  It also serves to remind us that there are many more out there who are less fortunate.  

I don't have extended family to deal with during the holidays.  My brothers and I are scattered wide and don't stay in touch.  My wife's family is in the Philippines, so the only ones at our home is just us and our five children.  Well, I say children but the oldest three are grown.  None are married yet so they eat at boyfriend/girlfriend homes and then eat here because we don't start until around 6.  The most interesting part always happens after dinner, though.  All through the evening the friends of all my kids come by the house to nosh on my fried turkey and have a good time - card games, music, and sometimes my son breaks out his guitar or ukelele and plays while my daughters sing.  Of course I'm on my second bottle of moscato by then so all is well.  It's a good time.

Quote:Thanksgiving is a wonderful time for my family. Not to many years ago the family ties where so bad that guns where pointed at one another ( it was a serious time and at one point I thought someone was going to die) Fast forward 7 years and those same family members come to my home, eat together, dine together, and honestly love each other. Not only is the family united it's stronger then ever, that old saying out of ashes comes new life is real for my family.

Ah, nothing like the warmth of light-hearted chatter, the clinking of busy flatware, and the steel blue click of hammers being pulled back.   :teehee:   So which are you, Hatfield or McCoy?   Smile

Quote:That's completely understandable. It also serves to remind us that there are many more out there who are less fortunate.

I don't have extended family to deal with during the holidays. My brothers and I are scattered wide and don't stay in touch. My wife's family is in the Philippines, so the only ones at our home is just us and our five children. Well, I say children but the oldest three are grown. None are married yet so they eat at boyfriend/girlfriend homes and then eat here because we don't start until around 6. The most interesting part always happens after dinner, though. All through the evening the friends of all my kids come by the house to nosh on my fried turkey and have a good time - card games, music, and sometimes my son breaks out his guitar or ukelele and plays while my daughters sing. Of course I'm on my second bottle of moscato by then so all is well. It's a good time.
I miss those days of hanging out with the family all night playing games having a fire lit and music playing. My side consists of my family, my parents and my brother and his family. My brother is out west, my parents are enjoying retirement and rarely in town anymore. They don't even live a mile away yet they are gone all the time. They worked their butts off so I don't blame them for enjoying retired life. I really miss those holidays we were all together. My wife's side is a bunch of dysfunctional yahoos. Not a single one has a job!!!! Can they get one? Sure. do they? No. Why when my taxes are giving them everything they need? I mean that in the most loving way possible. They eat and run. They get to our house about 30 minutes before food is ready and leave about 3o minutes after we eat. As irritating as they can be, can't we all just hang out and enjoy the holiday? It's like why even bother? Well, next year lets have it at some one else house. Can't. None of them even have a house. Could be because they don't have a job, idk.If we are just going through the motions why even get together in the first place? My wife and I try so hard to get in the holiday spirit and they just literally suck the fun right out of it. I guess it's worth mentioning my wife agrees with me on everything I have stated in here. I'm not just being mean, she feels the same way. How is she not adopted?

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:Ah, nothing like the warmth of light-hearted chatter, the clinking of busy flatware, and the steel blue click of hammers being pulled back.   :teehee:   So which are you, Hatfield or McCoy?   Smile

Me Ha no, I stayed out of it, was more of a good old drunks with guns situation. It smoothed over but when someone pulls a shotgun people tend to take that personal, took a few years to get them all back together again. 

I've got a total of 40 something people coming over spread across 4 families, I treasure them all together at once.

My family of 6

My Sister and Her Husband + 2 Kids

My Brother-In-Laws - Brother his Wife + 2 Kids

My Brother-In-Laws - Mom and Step Dad

My Parents + Grandmother

My Single Sister

My Wife's Parents

My Wife's Brother + Wife

My Wife's Brother + Wife

My Wife's Aunt and Uncle + 3 kids

My Wife's Cousin + Husband + Mother-In-Law

Like I said at one point they all hated each other, my Wife's family is from Long Island New York, My Brother-In-Laws family is from Georgia their the two sides that got into the altercation. My Brother-In-Law is also my best friend from when I was a kid, we grew up together so his family and my family are like blood.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2013, 06:59 PM by Dakota.)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Smile

This Thanksgiving, it's pretty simple for me to share what I'm thankful for.

I am thankful to simply be here to celebrate it at all. I didn't think I would have been, many times over, after being diagnosed with a devastating disease. I really owe a lot to my Mayo and UF doctors who have done a wonderful job with some experimental procedures which have had some success. I am by no means cured, but I am far better off than the alternative.

I will actually be attending my first game again in over 2 years next week, and am looking forward to that immensely. Won't be able to cheer much, if at all (my lungs are way too [BAD WORD DELETED]ed to do that anymore these days, but I'll be cheering in some other capacity. May even mix in a drink or two as long as my doctors don't read this post first. Banana

It's nice to have a day to reflect on everything to be thankful for. Life, family, friends, and the comforts of home.

A huge shout out to all serving members of the military and all the others in lines of work that prevent them from sharing this day with their families. You are not forgotten. Smile

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I'm working Thanksgiving. I used to take the day off and run the Thanksgiving Day Half Marathon, but some drama at work ruined that. I'll put the turkey in the oven when I get home and watch some football. My son is planning on going to his mother's, then his grandmother's, but he came down with whatever is going around, so he may just end up hanging out with me. My whole family used to show up at my mom's house every Thanksgiving and do the "Happy family until someone has way too much to drink" thing, but once she passed everybody generally just does their own family thing. I do have to say, I'd go through all of the family drama 10 times over for the chance to see my mom's face just one more time. 

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the board! Enjoy the time with your family and friends.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Been up since 4Confusedomething, got one turkey in the oven, one in the smoker. Now time to play the waiting game.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2013, 08:50 AM by homebiscuit.)

Quote:Been up since 4Confusedomething, got one turkey in the oven, one in the smoker. Now time to play the waiting game.

I fry mine.  A 15 pounder will take a little over an hour to cook.  I have all day to casually work on side dishes and sip moscato.   Smile

The smoked turkey sounds heavenly, though.  Let us know how that comes out.

Quote:Been up since 4Confusedomething, got one turkey in the oven, one in the smoker. Now time to play the waiting game.

Same boat figured I'd get on and kill some time.

Quote:I fry mine.  A 15 pounder will take a little over an hour to cook.  I have all day to casually work on side dishes and sip moscato.   Smile

The smoked turkey sounds heavenly, though.  Let us know how that comes out.
We've tried frying in the past. Must have done something wrong. It didn't turn out that great and we gave up on the frying.

So far, we've enjoyed most of the smoking we've done. It takes some learning. If done right, it rivals some of the best BBQ joints. Maybe even better since you can tweak things the way you like. I did a couple turkeys for practice leading up to today. The first wasn't that great, second was good with the exception of a bit too much smoke flavor. So, I only put applewood chunks in today and only a few pieces. I'm optimistic that the third times the charm. If not, we still have the one in the oven. I'll let you know how it turns out and I'll also be keeping a keen eye on my guests to get their true feelings about it, lol.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

http://youtu.be/Li7ufj66Btg
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Same boat figured I'd get on and kill some time.

Got 3 1/2 hrs to kill until the first game.

Speaking of which, got some cool news last night. Found out my brother's regiment will be featured at that game. Why idk, because he's at fort Irwin and it's the packers/lions game. Not sure if they will air much at the game but he said FOX was there filming them for quite some time.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2013, 11:02 AM by Sammy.)

Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving to all you guyz too.

I'm already primed (light breakfast) for the big feast, and Football. I wish I could take a nap so it would come quicker. I bought a 12 pack of Landshark, and when the first foot kicks the ball, I am going to pop the first bottle cap. I have never had Landshark, but remember someone on this board claimed it was really good, so when it caught my eye at the store I figured "what the heck", so if it sucks, I will blame it on you guys.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving to you, and your famalies. Smile

Edit: I know there is always 1 weird family member at every gathering, but I haven't been able to figure out which one it is. I will make sure to pay close attention today, and if I can figure out which one is the weirdo, I will be sure to post about him/her.