Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Drafting if we fall out the first 5

Quote:...denial ain't just a river in...

Wake up. We're not getting the 2nd pick in the draft, nor the first. No Clowney, no Bridgewater.....

We're going to get a couple more ugly wins vs a couple more of the bad teams on our schedule and were going to slot ourselves right on out of the top picks. Its happening right under your nose and yet you cannot see it.
"Top picks" - i.e., all the picks ending just before the Jaguars pick, regardless of where that happens to be.

And all this is a prelude to the hundreds of "oh no, he didn't!" after Caldwell selects whomever.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:...denial ain't just a river in...

Wake up. We're not getting the 2nd pick in the draft, nor the first. No Clowney, no Bridgewater.....

We're going to get a couple more ugly wins vs a couple more of the bad teams on our schedule and were going to slot ourselves right on out of the top picks. Its happening right under your nose and yet you cannot see it.

OMG!!!! I noes!!! We're gonna win out and be turrible foreves!!!

We are sooooo bad that we aren't even winning games, we're "sucking" less than the other team and now we are (in a bad way) gonna suck less than the rest of the teams we play (but still not be good) and miss out on the draft prospect you so desire!!!!!:!2!1!1!2!2!!! N

Sleep is going to be hard to come by.

I mean, why just sit and observe how it all plays out when I can predict, and project and prognosticate all of these terrible, end-of-the-world scenarios where the Jags lose out on the Lebron James of football!!!1!1!2!1!2!1!1!1!!

Quote:So tackle is a high team need, not interior 3?

You would take an interior OL high?

Doofus indeed, Ketchmanite.

So if we drop out of the top 5 and Matthews is still there, you pass him up? Glad you're not our GM..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:So if we drop out of the top 5 and Matthews is still there, you pass him up? Glad you're not our GM..

Henne still won't be any better with Matthews on the O-line.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Henne still won't be any better with Matthews on the O-line.

Of course not, but outside of TB, there's gonna be some decent QB's into the 2nd and 3rd round.

Quote:So tackle is a high team need, not interior 3?

You would take an interior OL high?

Doofus indeed, Ketchmanite.

I would expect the interior line to be addressed in free agency.

Quote:Of course not, but outside of TB, there's gonna be some decent QB's into the 2nd and 3rd round.

Outside of TB there are some decent QB's.  (Personally I want the best, but that's just me) But once you get into the 2nd and 3rd round, you're going to see a drop off.

I'd probably consider trading down if I'm at 5 and Matthews is there.  I'm sure some team would trade up for him, and then grab a different 1st round Quarterback.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 02:08 PM by WingerDinger.)

Quote:Outside of TB there are some decent QB's. (Personally I want the best, but that's just me) But once you get into the 2nd and 3rd round, you're going to see a drop off.

I'd probably consider trading down if I'm at 5 and Matthews is there. I'm sure some team would trade up for him, and then grab a different 1st round Quarterback.
But given the scenario and the topic, TB shouldn't be there..

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 02:10 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:But given the scenario given and the topic, TB shouldn't be there..

Obviously TB won't be there.  But trading down and getting some more picks and then (if there's a QB worth it0 a QB would be better than Matthews and then hoping that your guy lasts until Round 2.

To clarify - I want the best QB in the draft.  If Bridgewater is gone, I want the next best QB (who may be better than Bridgewater, but who knows?)

If, err WHEN the Jaguars fall out of the top 3 picks, then at that point, I'd probably be okay with Matthews at 4 (no one is trading up at that point and he's a better risk than any of the QB's leftover at that pick).....but I'm not even certain we'll be drafting that low when its all said and done. 

Quote:Obviously TB won't be there. But trading down and getting some more picks and then (if there's a QB worth it0 a QB would be better than Matthews and then hoping that your guy lasts until Round 2.

As of right now in my opinion, there isn't another QB worthy of an early 1st round pick. The combine could change that though.

Quote:If, err WHEN the Jaguars fall out of the top 3 picks, then at that point, I'd probably be okay with Matthews at 4 (no one is trading up at that point and he's a better risk than any of the QB's leftover at that pick).....but I'm not even certain we'll be drafting that low when its all said and done. 

You haven't seen our home games... have you?

We won't beat the Tacks again.  The Texans will try to lose, but it's a Jag home game.  That's like Peyton Manning in cold weather level of handicap.  The only game I'd think we could win is the Browns next week. Colts won't be resting their starters because they may still be playing for the division at that point. 

Quote:Top 10. 

So you're advocating luck to have to be factored in for the Jags to get their QB. 

I'd rather the decision be wholly in our hands than having to depend on other teams screwing up ahead of us in the draft for us to maybe get our QB. 

You're advocating playing the QB lottery rather than getting the most sure thing of the draft. 
You are advocating losing on purpose and you try to act like other people are crazy. What a maroon

Quote:As of right now in my opinion, there isn't another QB worthy of an early 1st round pick. The combine could change that though.

Well that's why I'd trade down (as of right now).  The further we go down, the more we get out of it.  This draft is supposed to be deep.  If not a franchise QB, I'd like more picks. 

Quote:Draft a QB and go out a Cutler or Vick. Vick could be had on the cheap and would improve our offense 10 fold.
Vick is horrible and Cutler is a head case.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Top 10.

So you're advocating luck to have to be factored in for the Jags to get their QB.

I'd rather the decision be wholly in our hands than having to depend on other teams screwing up ahead of us in the draft for us to maybe get our QB.

You're advocating playing the QB lottery rather than getting the most sure thing of the draft.

He was actually drafted 11th

Quote:So if we drop out of the top 5 and Matthews is still there, you pass him up? Glad you're not our GM..

First, it depends how far out of the top 5 you're talking and who else is on the board.

Most likely, I would try trading down in that scenario, if we assume that Bridgewater, Clowney, Mariota and Barr are off the board.

It's okay if you fall into the predictable build from the trenches camp.  Lots of people who haven't studied it carefully fall into that camp.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

If someone all 5 of Clowney, Barr, and I think the only 3 franchise QB prospects are all gone when we're on the clock...oh boy. I'd probably be leaning toward Mack, Mosely, or Dennard.

Quote:I would expect the interior line to be addressed in free agency.

Maybe, but even assuming it is addressed in free agency, T-either right or left-is NOT a major need on this team-unless you think that Joeckel is a bust. 

Furthermore, even if you think RT is a major need, those can be taken later.  

I know...earlier this year when I pushed for Joeckel, my argument was that you weren't taking a pure RT, but you were taking a RT with the feet to play LT, and that theoretically that would apply here.

However, the circumstances surrounding that pick were much different.

Monroe has always been a so so LT to me.  There was no blue chip QB prospect in the draft that warranted a pick that high.  There was no dominant pass rusher in the top of this draft.  Jordan had potential, but he was a raw prospect with a weight and shoulder issue.

In this draft, there is the chance of getting a quality QB and a pass rusher, even if we pick at 4 or 5.  Joeckel at LT has a higher upside/better feet and is younger than Monroe.  Pasztor at RT is much less of a liability than what we had at RT last year.

Matthews will be a good player in the NFL.  But he won't help this team much, at all.  Even if you plug him in and he is a good RT for the next 10 years, it doesn't change the dynamic on this team created by a lack of playmakers at QB, DE, DB, LB, TE, and WR.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:If someone all 5 of Clowney, Barr, and I think the only 3 franchise QB prospects are all gone when we're on the clock...oh boy. I'd probably be leaning toward Mack, Mosely, or Dennard.

Are the 3 QBs are Teddy/Mariota/Carr?

I would take Mack, dudes going to be a beast.