Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Jags keep Henne at QB in 2014?

I can't believe there's still people that would want to give ANY of the QB's on this roster another chance.

I could see Henne as a backup or mentor to a young QB next year, but that's about it.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think the team wipes the slate clean at QB. Matt Scott might be in camp next year but that is it. The team will sign a veteran to backup their first round QB. Someone like Tavaris Jackon or Rex Grossman. I don't think Henne would be a bad backup but I just think the team goes in a different direction.

Tavaris Jackson or Grossman? Yuck. I'd just stick with Henne.

Quote:I can't believe there's still people that would want to give ANY of the QB's on this roster another chance.

I could see Henne as a backup or mentor to a young QB next year, but that's about it.

What is with you idiots that want someone like Henne as a "mentor"?

He's one of the last guys I'd want mentoring anyone. What in the world does he have to offer someone? Throw tons of checkdowns and interceptions and if the team you're playing sucks you might ruin the draft position enough that they won't be able to replace you?

Henne should be gone at the end of the year, and if Gabbert sticks around it should only be because he's accepted he's a backup and he's cheap.

Sounds like a surefire plan to get this team moved to London.

Both Henne and Gabbert should be gone.

Quote:He is up and down, but today against the best (statistically) defense in the league he played very well. I think that we need a lot of players and a rookie QB will likely struggle mightily with our OL. I say we draft DE/OL in round 1 & 2 and then look at taking Murray or Mettenberger in Round 3.

I think the team overall performed well, but the Texans only won 2 games this season for a few reasons... just saying...

That being said Chad Henne is fine as a backup QB but he is certainly not a franchise QB.  The Oline needs help, the OC has to stop calling run plays up the middle with Maurice Jones-Drew (they go no where and risk him to injury).  I loved the screen & quick passes out to Maurice Jones-Drew allows him to be open and get some yardage down field.  I hate that Chad Henne can really only throw 5 to 10 yard passes same crap that pissed me off about Gabbert.  To be fair part of the reason is that the Oline cant protect neither long enough to throw the deep passes but there has been a few times where theyve had the time and he still threw a 10 yard or less pass.  That shows me that neither is a long term solution QB.  We need to draft our franchise QB this year.

Quote:Both Henne and Gabbert should be gone.

This.

I'm actually an advocate for drafting a QB in round one, and his backup in round 4-7.

Quote:  I think the team overall performed well, but the Texans only won 2 games this season for a few reasons... just saying...

That being said Chad Henne is fine as a backup QB but he is certainly not a franchise QB.  The Oline needs help, the OC has to stop calling run plays up the middle with Maurice Jones-Drew (they go no where and risk him to injury).  I loved the screen & quick passes out to Maurice Jones-Drew allows him to be open and get some yardage down field.  I hate that Chad Henne can really only throw 5 to 10 yard passes same crap that [BAD WORD REMOVED] me off about Gabbert.  To be fair part of the reason is that the Oline cant protect neither long enough to throw the deep passes but there has been a few times where theyve had the time and he still threw a 10 yard or less pass.  That shows me that neither is a long term solution QB.  We need to draft our franchise QB this year.

You don't need great protection to throw down the field, you just need to be a good QB that understands coverage and knows what the defense is going to do before the ball gets snapped. The great ones do that and then throw their guys open. They know where the downfield throws will be completed and they throw them up before their guy even makes his break.

Gabbert seemed to be trying to do that in the Colts and Rams games and Shorts left him hanging. After that he seemed to give up. He appears to be done.

Checkdown chad was never good. He only would throw to guys that were wide open anyway, and now he doesn't have time for that so it's all checkdowns and quick slants.

Quote:This.

I'm actually an advocate for drafting a QB in round one, and his backup in round 4-7.

Do you go into the draft with just Matt Scott?

;

;

Quote:Do you go into the draft with just Matt Scott?
They also have stanzi.

They could also sign another free agent and hope for the best like they did with Henne a couple of years ago.

If there isn't a top tier rookie starting next year then this year will have been a complete failure.

Quote:He scored 0 points against a ham sandwich defense.
A "ham sandwich defense"?

Do you even watch the NFL?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:They are both horrible. They might just be the third and forth best quarterbacks on the team....

but I would not be surprised AT ALL if they were both back next year. There's been too much blind confidence in them to just assume that there won't be that kind of blind confidence next year.
Do you cry yourself to sleep every night?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Do you go into the draft with just Matt Scott?

Sure. 

That just means you're likely coming out of the draft with two QB's, both of whom will be better than Scott.

Quote:I can't believe there's still people that would want to give ANY of the QB's on this roster another chance.

Do you really want Henne mentoring a young QB next year?

I'd love to sign Shaun Hill, but I bet Detroit finds a way to keep him.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Do you really want Henne mentoring a young QB next year?

I'd love to sign Shaun Hill, but I bet Detroit finds a way to keep him.

Hill would be a good veteran backup.

Gabbert needs to be cut from the roster asap.  I see 0 value from him

If henne restructures his contract he would make a decent backup. He is not starting material but does have value as a backup

Stanzi is like the invisible man.  I see his name on the roster but have heard or seen 0 from him.l

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

henne will be gone. Gabbert is under contract. They will draft a QB and even bring in a free agent or three.

Quote:henne will be gone. Gabbert is under contract. They will draft a QB and even bring in a free agent or three.
If they keep either as a back-up,  I'd much rather them re-sign Henne to a more realistic back-up deal than hold on to Gabbert.  I've officially given up hope on that little Gene Smith fever dream.  

Quote:If they keep either as a back-up,  I'd much rather them re-sign Henne to a more realistic back-up deal than hold on to Gabbert.  I've officially given up hope on that little Gene Smith fever dream.  

They won't have to keep Gabbert, but not cutting him immediately until they see what they'll get in free agency and the draft makes more sense than trying to re-sign Henne.

Even if Henne were willing to sign for a veteran minimum with no signing bonus I still don't see the point in signing him. Better to move on and let Caldwell bring his own guys in.

Quote:Better to move on and let Caldwell bring his own guys in.

Hence the first word of my post being  "IF."