Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Jags keep Henne at QB in 2014?

Quote:I think that's probably the worst case scenario.

Ideally, you draft your starting QB and you plug him in right away after retooling the interior of that line.

I agree; let's rush a rookie QB into an offense that has shown a propensity of not being able to protect the QB. Should allow them to develop into a franchise QB. It is very likely that Henne would be a better option than any rookie QB to start the season next year.

Even better, if we crap the bed again we are lined up to take Winston at the top of 2015 Draft; a player that is truly worth the #1 overall pick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I didn't realize that the 2 were mutually exclusive. 

WHen did they start limiting teams to 1 single incoming player during the offseason??  

Alright, so give me a plan of how you fix the offensive line where your only lineman that is likely to be an above average starter only played 4 games before being lost for the year.

Meester, Rackley, Pastzor, are trash.

Uche is an average starter that is getting overpaid by another marquee G. Smith contract.

No QB is going to be successful behind the current OL.

So give us some ideas on how to fix the OL before putting a rookie QB back there.

Why not draft a Mettenberger or Bortles at the top of round 2 and get another OL at the top of round 1.

You likely get a better QB than you have on the roster plus get another top tier OL.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 09:47 PM by MoJo44.)

Quote:I agree; let's rush a rookie QB into an offense that has shown a propensity of not being able to protect the QB. Should allow them to develop into a franchise QB. It is very likely that Henne would be a better option than any rookie QB to start the season next year.

Even better, if we crap the bed again we are lined up to take Winston at the top of 2015 Draft; a player that is truly worth the #1 overall pick.

Not sure if serious, but I'll pretend you are.  Couple of things...

1. We wont rush a rookie QB into anything.  Caldwell will patch up the interior line one way or another and our receivers aren't bad.

2.  It is far from "very likely" that Henne will be a better option.  Henne is a bad quarterback.  Whoever we draft in round one or two will immediately be the day one starter, barring injury, and this person will be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Henne.

3.  This team will not suck to the tune of a one-two win season again next year.  We can't willingly suck year after year after year.

Quote:I agree; let's rush a rookie QB into an offense that has shown a propensity of not being able to protect the QB. Should allow them to develop into a franchise QB. It is very likely that Henne would be a better option than any rookie QB to start the season next year.

Just out of curiosity, but do you think Henne is a better option than Manuel, Geno or Glennon? Because all are rookies (2 taken beyond the first round), and all look better to me than Henne. What do you guys actually see in Henne that is worth keeping around?

Quote:Just out of curiosity, but do you think Henne is a better option than Manuel, Geno or Glennon? Because all are rookies (2 taken beyond the first round), and all look better to me than Henne. What do you guys actually see in Henne that is worth keeping around?

Have you watched Geno Smith?

;

;

Quote:Alright, so give me a plan of how you fix the offensive line where your only lineman that is likely to be an above average starter only played 4 games before being lost for the year.

Uche is an average starter that is getting overpaid by another marquee G. Smith contract.

So give us some ideas on how to fix the OL before putting a rookie QB back there.

Why not draft a Mettenberger or Bortles at the top of round 2 and get another OL at the top of round 1.

You likely get a better QB than you have on the roster plus get another top tier OL.
Pazstor has been playing well... Do you even watch the games?

Joeckle should also be 100% by next season. He was looking good before the injury.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2013, 11:18 PM by The_Anchorman.)

I would hope that if we draft a QB that won't be ready to start week 1, we go out a find another veteran that could  come in and play.  I know he's easy to keep around since he knows the players and is familiar with the scheme...  But if we change OC as well, then why not also bring in a veteran QB as back up?    

FBT mentioned keeping Henne as worst case scenario.  I would hope that we put ourselves in a position where the worst case scenario isn't even a remote possibility.

I also agree with The Cheif, we gotta get better on the Line.  Getting a rookie franchise QB slaughtered his first year could potentially wreck said franchise QB.  It's happened before...

Pazstor has looked pretty good.  Joeckel recovers.  We get a Center who wasn't picked by Tom Coughlin.  (You know the last time this team won 14 games in a single season let alone 2 seasons)... sign a free agent, draft a guy... and the O-line looks a lot better.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Have you watched Geno Smith?

Still more promising than Henne.

Quote:Still more promising than Henne.
He has double the INTs henne has.. Henne is the INT master.. that says something. 

Quote:He has double the INTs henne has.. Henne is the INT master.. that says something. 

He also has double the Touchdowns though.  And he's a rookie.  He also has a slightly better YPA.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:henne will be gone. Gabbert is under contract. They will draft a QB and even bring in a free agent or three.

Gabbert will be gone.  You can read between the lines of what Gus has been saying recently to understand that.  Henne may be resigned if he's willing to come in around the vet minimum, but he's playing competently enough that some other team may be willing to bring him in and let him compete for a starting spot.  

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Just out of curiosity, but do you think Henne is a better option than Manuel, Geno or Glennon? Because all are rookies (2 taken beyond the first round), and all look better to me than Henne. What do you guys actually see in Henne that is worth keeping around?

You play with the best QB you can get, not the best QB on another team.  Honestly, franchise QBs aren't hanging around at Wallmart waiting to be signed.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2013, 07:17 AM by ukjag34.)

It depends what we do with the picks we have

I can accept us not addressing the QB if we address the other glaring issues

If we do not addreses the QB in the top 2 rounds this year I expect us to address the pass rush which though improving is still missing that top tier de using our first pick whether we trade back or not

address our dt position which still needs a big run stuffer though Roy miller has looked better lately I would like to see is bring that in the second round

Address the centre with the third joeckel will come back and patzor deserves to keep his Rt spot for now whilst Uche will add a veteran presence to a young line

Whether we address both left guard and center in FA I would also like us to draft a center that can play guard or an Rt that can play guard to add some quality depth to a weak line

4th a developmental QB someone to sit and perhaps be a starter by the end of the year

If we kept hennes in that regard to blood in a new line for a season and get a solid unit for our new QB be he the developer or a first round pick I could accept that though I would be disappointed with the talent at QB that may be available this season

Quote:Gabbert will be gone.  You can read between the lines of what Gus has been saying recently to understand that.  Henne may be resigned if he's willing to come in around the vet minimum, but he's playing competently enough that some other team may be willing to bring him in and let him compete for a starting spot.  

Hey, what did gus said recently between the lines that indicate gabbert is gone next year? I'm only asking you because I haven't heard any press conferences of him that he even mention gabbert's future with the team.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:He is up and down, but today against the best (statistically) defense in the league he played very well. I think that we need a lot of players and a rookie QB will likely struggle mightily with our OL. I say we draft DE/OL in round 1 & 2 and then look at taking Murray or Mettenberger in Round 3.

Shut up

Quote:He has double the INTs henne has.. Henne is the INT master.. that says something. 

So if they wanted to swap 1 for 1 with Henne for Geno, you'd say no?  I didn't say the guy is a sure fire future stud, I said I find him more promising in his first year than I find Henne in his 6th.  I stand by that.

Quote:He also has double the Touchdowns though.  And he's a rookie.  He also has a slightly better YPA.  

And double the wins.  He's looked bad in half those games, but he's looked good in the others.  He may still end up as a bad QB, but he doesn't look worse than Henne to me. 

Quote:Alright, so give me a plan of how you fix the offensive line where your only lineman that is likely to be an above average starter only played 4 games before being lost for the year.

FA LG - Top tier-  I want a experienced one blocking our rookie Qbs blindside with Joeckel

FA C -   Mid level - Again  rookie Qb will want some experience under center . Someone already used to making the correct line reads.

Draft RG in 2nd round - Starter and future player

Paztor and 4th rd RT compete - Competition should help them progress

Joeckel - Locks down his LT spot

Remember we are trying to go to a zone scheme and those lineman dont always carry the high grades in strength and size causing them to slip to later rounds but they are athletic. I remember a post about some of the other teams in the NFL that do zone blocking and have drafted smaller more athletic lineman in the middle rounds and had success.

Given this plan i think whichever QB we bring in would be happy with a brand new o-line and a stud LT defending his blindside

Quote:You play with the best QB you can get, not the best QB on another team.  Honestly, franchise QBs aren't hanging around at Wallmart waiting to be signed.

I never said that they are, or really anything close to that. 

Someone stated that Henne will be better than any rookie QB we bring in next year and he should stick around to start.  For comparison, I mentioned the first 3 QBs off the board in 2013 (which takes you through round 3), and as rookies each of them looks more capable than Henne is right now.  That's pretty much it.