Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pride cometh before a fall

Where exactly are we going to fall to?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013, 06:41 PM by Jungle Cat.)

John Elway was drafted by the Yankees to play baseball in 1981.

He stayed in college at Stanford. Elway tanked his senior season and still got picked by the Baltimore Colts, who, like the Jaguars, were annual NFL bottom-feeders.

He refused to play. He refused to negotiate. He wanted no part of a losing franchise. Elway said, "he would rather be a garbage collector than play for Baltimore."

The Colts were so embarrassed that they held a secret meeting with Elway, and, if he promised to lie, saying he desired to remain on the west coast, they would trade him. Elway got livid and pledged to play for the Yankees full-time if he was not traded.

Bridgewater, Clowney, and Manziel are playing so lack-luster this year it looks like the Olympic Badminton Tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P31besKQ5Q

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:John Elway was drafted by the Yankees to play baseball in 1981.

He stayed in college at Stanford. Elway tanked his senior season and still got picked by the Baltimore Colts, who, like the Jaguars, were annual NFL bottom-feeders.

He refused to play. He refused to negotiate. He wanted no part of a losing franchise. Elway said, "he would rather be a garbage collector than play for Baltimore."

The Colts were so embarrassed that they held a secret meeting with Elway, and, if he promised to lie, saying he desired to remain on the west coast, they would trade him. Elway got livid and pledged to play for the Yankees full-time if he was not traded.

Bridgewater, Clowney, and Manziel are playing so lack-luster this year it looks like the Olympic Badminton Tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P31besKQ5Q
Lol, its funny that is even called alleged. It was obvious, we just don't care about badminton enough to do it. I still remember being in high school and my teacher stuck us in badminton 'tournament' and told us were we placed would be our grade for that section. Well I started at the bottom, and because of where I started I kept playing the same person every other round (and they would win against me go up, I would play someone else and win, they would lose and end up playing me again and win). It was nonsense, I kept playing the same person over and over again, thankfully the coach changed his mind about the grade being based on position.

Anyway the point being, people definately lose to try and play someone more favorable to make their path easier, and depending were you start in the tournament, you can end up in a perpetual cycle of playing (and losing) to the same person team over and over while never seeing another opponent. Very annoying to play.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:I wonder how many of these mensas that think losing is cool actually tank it at their own jobs so their employer can replace them with someone better? Rolleyes
How is the NFL in any way comparable to regular joes and their job? I guess in the restaurant business you guys also draft the next best and up and coming waiters and waitresses every year?

Something else you obviously don't understand is that we don't control what happens on the field. The coaches and players do. No one believes that they will intentionally tank. It's just some fans that would rather have a numer one pick versus a later pick. I don't care what player that is for as long as he helps the team or maybe they can trade back to a team who thinks player "x" is the greatest thing since sliced bread, thus giving the jags more picks.

Quote:How is the NFL in any way comparable to regular joes and their job? I guess in the restaurant business you guys also draft the next best and up and coming waiters and waitresses every year?

Something else you obviously don't understand is that we don't control what happens on the field. The coaches and players do. No one believes that they will intentionally tank. It's just some fans that would rather have a numer one pick versus a later pick. I don't care what player that is for as long as he helps the team or maybe they can trade back to a team who thinks player "x" is the greatest thing since sliced bread, thus giving the jags more picks.
I don't know what restaurant you work at. How many dishwashers do you think they could get in a trade for you? Tongue

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I don't know what restaurant you work at. How many dishwashers do you think they could get in a trade for you? Tongue
Oh my bad, I got you and chief confused. My apologies. I don't work at a restaurant btw. I run my own business. So I'm guessing they would get a decent amount of dishwashers, or they better, lol.

Still your argument has nothing to do with real people and their jobs.

Quote:Oh my bad, I got you and chief confused. My apologies. I don't work at a restaurant btw. I run my own business. So I'm guessing they would get a decent amount of dishwashers, or they better, lol.

Still your argument has nothing to do with real people and their jobs.
No worries. You did get a +1 for you admitting me confusing me with someone else.

Now that that's out of the way, how are professional athletes not real people with real jobs?

My question still stands about who in their right mind would tank to allow someone else to take their job. Why discuss it? It won't happen.

I think "Fantasy Football" has been taken too literally by way too many people. Smile

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I wonder how many of these mensas that think losing is cool actually tank it at their own jobs so their employer can replace them with someone better? Rolleyes

Brilliant analogy.  +1 for you, sir.

Quote:No worries. You did get a +1 for you admitting me confusing me with someone else.

Now that that's out of the way, how are professional athletes not real people with real jobs?

My question still stands about who in their right mind would tank to allow someone else to take their job. Why discuss it? It won't happen.

I think "Fantasy Football" has been taken too literally by way too many people. Smile

Of course athletes are real people and have a job. But it's not a typical job as most people would have. I don't think any player will tank. If they do that could be the end of their career. Normal companies don't have a draft where each year younger better workers coming out can replace others. You could argue that they do/can but that would result in an awful lot of legal battles when a man is fired for no reason, other than being replaced by someone younger or faster. I don't think the fans who are wanting the team to lose are wanting them to tank. I can't speak for all of them, but I feel the vast majority is looking at the record at this point and thinking about it in a strategic manner. What would help my team out more? Am I really going to be all that upset if they lose at this point? No. Am I going to be mad if we win? No. Would we rather a number one pick that can be used to draft the best player (according to Caldwell, not me or the fans), or maybe even trade back can get more picks. They are committed to building draft. I think most are on board with that. Since the draft is so important to this franchise, I would like them to go into the draft with as much ammo as possible. I'm not wanting the team to intentionally lose. Just want them in the best position possible to get the team on track to where it needs to be and as fast as possible.