Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Knockout Game

I agree with Dakota's interpretation of the word. It simply makes more logical sense the way Dakota defines it, as opposed to the textbook definition. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM by Dakota.)

Quote:I agree with Dakota's interpretation of the word. It simply makes more logical sense the way Dakota defines it, as opposed to the textbook definition. 
Per the textbook definition, WD was right. I actually learned something from that exchange. I believe the word has taken on new meaning in modern society.

If someone tells you to, "Just ignore that bully" does it mean that you should scrub your memory banks that the bully exists. Just an analogy. No, it means to pretend that it doesn't exist, although one knows that it does exist.

How about if you ask someone, "why are you ignoring me?" If you stop to think about that one, if ignoring met the textbook definition, why would one even ask that question. The person being questioned is unaware of the asking person's existence. Why would you bother to ask a question to someone who doesn't know you're even there?

It's a nuance, but I think both he and I were right. He nailed the official definition of the term. I nailed how people use the word in today's language use. It is what it is. .

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Just to make things interesting: take a look at the video on this link. It shows a man knocking out another shopper for attempting to shoplift. It is almost the same exact thing that happens on the streets.

http://freepatriot.org/2013/11/21/video-...-lifetime/

Now, some may think that such an act is justified. I do not. Not the way it happened.

Shoplifting, or larceny in general, is a non-violent crime. Did the other guy have a right to confront the guy? Absolutely. Did he have a right to make sure that the perp didn't get away with breaking the law? Absolutely.

However, he didn't have the right to escalate the situation to violence in my eyes. Crime in any capacity isn't a green light for vigilantism. People can't just meet non violent crime with violence. It made this guy no different than those punks that play the knockout game in my eyes.

Had he been threatened with violence, then this may have been a different story. There were a couple threads dissecting this kind of thing. To me, the good guy crossed the line in this case. What he did was worse than what the bad guy did in this case.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Any thoughts?

Where will this lead? Do you think this gets enough attention, given recent, more publicized events such as the Zimmerman trial?

What do you think is going to be the powder keg that blows this thing wide open, if any? 

Is this even worth worrying about?

What are the statistics? I see articles reporting incidents going back 2 - 3 years, but the numbers are probably hard to pin down given the difficulty of determining intent.

Regardless of how widespread the problem is, anyone attempting this would have nothing to complain about if they got shot by their intended victim.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:What are the statistics? I see articles reporting incidents going back 2 - 3 years, but the numbers are probably hard to pin down given the difficulty of determining intent.

Regardless of how widespread the problem is, anyone attempting this would have nothing to complain about if they got shot by their intended victim.
You would think so, however people are complaining about getting shot while committing other violent felonies. There are 2 threads about that very thing involving robberies in this very forum.

I think I take a pretty rational view on these kind of things. My post right before yours tends to back that up.

Then again, I don't hear many people complaining, other than the families of the shot perps, so maybe I'm off on my response.

Quote:Any thoughts?

Where will this lead? Do you think this gets enough attention, given recent, more publicized events such as the Zimmerman trial?

What do you think is going to be the powder keg that blows this thing wide open, if any? 

Is this even worth worrying about?

I watched a news piece on this a few weeks back. Innocent people busting their face into concrete with no breaking of their fall, losing teeth, and all. We are getting to the point that a single person wont be safe to walk alone (I guess we have been there already for some time) ... I don't know the answer to this problem, but when these people doing this has something tragic happen to them, I hope they can look back and realize how horrible they were.

Will more severe consequences deter this "game"? I don't know, but I hope someone comes up with an answer before this becomes more common place than it already has. Can any of us imagine if the victim was your Mom, Wife, Grandmother ... etc. ... I may go all Charles Bronson death wish.

It isn't even about robbery, the so called "players" have nothing to gain. Horrible.

^^^^^ but, but, but remember?....I was just so wrong and am acting like an "old man" by stating how society has devolved. 

Quote:^^^^^ but, but, but remember?....I was just so wrong and am acting like an "old man" by stating how society has devolved. 

Geezer.

When will this all end?

It won't because there is no way to make parents parent.

Regards.............the Chiefjag

My solution, stay in the country and out of the cities :whistling:

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Where only the cows have to worry about getting knocked over...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:My solution, stay in the country and out of the cities :whistling:

I hear banjos. 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

Quote:I hear banjos. 

I do love me a good banjo!

Quote:Where only the cows have to worry about getting knocked over...

Never actually got one to fall over, not for failure of trying. True store thought we where going cow tipping one time in Hastings, ended up running from a Bull. Morale of the store, make sure it's a cow you're going to mess with before you jump the fence!

Quote:^^^^^ but, but, but remember?....I was just so wrong and am acting like an "old man" by stating how society has devolved.
You're still a drama queen who gets all upset with whatever the latest OMG moment happens to be.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I hear banjos. 

Oh, sorry.  I was just practicin'.

3 way banjo battle?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:3 way banjo battle?

oh it's on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

Quote:http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...o%20Battle

Bring it.. 

:woot: You just took it to a whole nother level bra!