Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
*** OFFICIAL Thanksgiving Day thread ***

Quote:Amish Friendship Bread is about the only really hard one on that list.  Thankfully I've already got some made.  There's just so much work that has to be done, and you have to have a starter kit.  But it's about the most delicious thing I've ever had the pleasure of eating.  Anyone that is patient should give it a try.  

I've tried teaching my wife to cook. She's okay as long as I'm helping her.  But if I turn away for too long she either forgets an ingredient, or burns it.  So I do most of the cooking (and I do quite a bit.  I cook breakfast for us and our three kids, and I make something for her for lunch, and then cook dinner).  

The only thing I usually have trouble with is separating the egg yolks from the whites for the pumpkin pie.  But we bought an egg white separator last year, so that's no longer a problem   :thumbsup:

When I was young my mom always made me do the dishes...which I hated! I figured out pretty quick that if I broke something every time I did them that she would do them herself! :whistling:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When I was young my mom always made me do the dishes...which I hated! I figured out pretty quick that if I broke something every time I did them that she would do them herself! :whistling:

typical woman........schemer..... :no: 

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 03:50 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I do the vast majority of the cooking at my house 

Wuss. :woot:

Quote:I do all the cooking at our place.  My wife's family comes in (my wife can't cook.

Another one?? 

Bro....thats a huge strike. 

I'd never date a woman let alone marry one that couldn't cook. 

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 03:53 PM by Geen.)

I usually do sweet potato casserole. Marshmallows on top, brown sugar and some vanilla extract and a splash of orange juice + some butter in the sweet potatoes.

Tasty. :yes:

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Is Amish Friendship Bread anything close to Irish Sodabread?

**** official ****

Quote:When I was young my mom always made me do the dishes...which I hated! I figured out pretty quick that if I broke something every time I did them that she would do them herself! :whistling:

Laughing Sounds more like our girls than my wife.  They'd do anything to get out of chores (and we don't give them that many)

Quote:Bro....thats a huge strike. 

I'd never date a woman let alone marry one that couldn't cook. 

My wife's gorgeous.  She doesn't need to know how to cook.  Especially when I can do it myself.  We've been together since High School. She's one of the best things to ever happen to me.  She's also smart, and one of the most fun people I've ever known.  I'd be lucky to find another awesome woman like her, let alone one that can cook.  

Quote:Is Amish Friendship Bread anything close to Irish Sodabread?

I've never had it.  But I think you can make Irish Sodabread with Amish Friendship bread.  At least going by this recipe:

http://www.susieqtpiescafe.com/2013/03/a...bread.html

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Wuss. :woot:
I enjoy it. Cleaning too.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote: 

My wife's gorgeous.  She doesn't need to know how to cook.  Especially when I can do it myself.  We've been together since High School. She's one of the best things to ever happen to me.  She's also smart, and one of the most fun people I've ever known.  I'd be lucky to find another awesome woman like her, let alone one that can cook.  

Ok...maybe we'll let that one slide....

I can't cook (very well) don't have the patience for it....so if she's not a good cook, its a dealbreaker for me....

Quote:I enjoy it. Cleaning too.

oh wow......please relinquish your man card. Thats an embarrassment. 

Quote:Sounds exhausting!

What is brown spice?

You just gave me an idea, I will hand that task off to one of my daughters. :thanks:

Brown Spice helps add some coloring, but kick taste to the Yams, If I just add sugar it will be too sweet.

Quote:On subject I do the Turkey at my house, my Father-In-law does the second Turkey and brings it over (we have 34 adults between the three families that come), My wife does 20 lbs of home made Mash Potatoes, and I do about 10 lbs of corn (canned the easy stuff). 

we sub everything else out the yams, rolls, green beans, and whatever the other families bring.

Yeah, if my in-laws come over but my family does the majority of the cooking, ill just have them bring small dishes to avoid the overload.

Good Lord 20lbs of Mash Potatoes! That will fill me up by itself.

Quote:I do all the cooking at our place.  My wife's family comes in (my wife can't cook.  I'm going to have to teach our daughters how to, because I don't want them to end up not being able to) every year.  Her little brother and his fiancee, her older sister and her daugher, her dad, and step mother, their kids, and maybe her mother depending on if she takes off work or not (she probably won't)

I make:

Turkey

Pumpkin Pie (4 of them)

Yams

Macaroni and Cheese

Mashed Potatoes + Gravy

Cranberry Salad

Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Bread

Pumpkin Bread

Amish Bread

Carrots (fresh)

Corn on the Cob (fresh)

Broccoli (fresh)

Peas (Fresh)

My wife's brother's girlfriend's brother's wife is a professional baker, and usually brings over some Apple Pie that is out of this world amazing.  She even makes her own crusts.  I'm looking forward to that, because I love Apple Pie, and it's the one thing I don't have to cook. 

That's what im doing with my daughters. I am starting them on something small like cutting-cooking up the shrimp/meatballs and prepping the pasta for Spaghetti. I even have them prep the Mac-cheese for baking by stirring the milk-eggs & cheese inside the Macaroni pasta once its soft and in the pan.

My wife will cook full dinners, but is more motivated if im there helping which is fun because we pick up certain recipes off of each other just to try something different.

Im jealous of you having a professional baker, the one I had dosent really bake anymore and she curtailed her business.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Ol' broccoli casserole has become a staple at the T-Day Table hasn't it? I don't remember growing up with it as a must on the table like it has seemed to become.

TBH I hated broccoli casserole, or anything mixed with broccoli growing up. They served it at lunch and the broccoli was always either soggy or hard.

My wife turned me onto it by adding flat mushrooms, and it has been a staple for our TG & Christmas every year for the 6 years.

Quote:No Gravy?

Blueberry cornbread sounds marvelous.

Forgot that. That's something I can pass off to my kids as well.

All of a sudden this has gotten easier.

Quote:4 asterisks in a row

Really!

Really Dragon [BAD WORD REMOVED] Fury!

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:oh wow......please relinquish your man card. Thats an embarrassment. 

I'm the clean freak in my house as well, I wouldn't call it an enjoyment but I enjoy having a clean house and if the place is a mess I'm the one to say no one's going anywhere until we're done cleaning the house. 

As for cooking we pretty much split it, on nights I get home in a decent hour I'll cook, most nights I'm not home until after 7:30 in that case she cooks. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:Amish Friendship Bread is about the only really hard one on that list.  Thankfully I've already got some made.  There's just so much work that has to be done, and you have to have a starter kit.  But it's about the most delicious thing I've ever had the pleasure of eating.  Anyone that is patient should give it a try.  

I've tried teaching my wife to cook. She's okay as long as I'm helping her.  But if I turn away for too long she either forgets an ingredient, or burns it.  So I do most of the cooking (and I do quite a bit.  I cook breakfast for us and our three kids, and I make something for her for lunch, and then cook dinner).  

The only thing I usually have trouble with is separating the egg yolks from the whites for the pumpkin pie.  But we bought an egg white separator last year, so that's no longer a problem   :thumbsup:

Im going to try out that bread for Christmas. From googling and reading the recipe, it looks and sound delicious.

Quote:I do the vast majority of the cooking at my house too, but T-Day we venture out.

I venture out sometimes, I just know not to try any of the refrigerated stuff. 

Hahaha, when I was younger thats what got me out of doing the dishes and cleaning after we had company/family over for dinner. I always helped my mom cooked. My cousins and sisters hated it.

Quote:I usually do sweet potato casserole. Marshmallows on top, brown sugar and some vanilla extract and a splash of orange juice + some butter in the sweet potatoes.

Tasty. :yes:

I tried pineapples in Sweet potato casserole once and it was good.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I'm the clean freak in my house as well, I wouldn't call it an enjoyment but I enjoy having a clean house and if the place is a mess I'm the one to say no one's going anywhere until we're done cleaning the house. 

As for cooking we pretty much split it, on nights I get home in a decent hour I'll cook, most nights I'm not home until after 7:30 in that case she cooks. 

Nothing wrong with being a clean freak and keeping a clean house or even doing the cleaning where necessary yourself......but he said he "enjoys" it. Thats a violation. The wife has to do her part, too. 

By the way, I want to go to the 11th doctor's place for Thanksgiving! Thats some spread of food you got goin on!!

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:I'm the clean freak in my house as well, I wouldn't call it an enjoyment but I enjoy having a clean house and if the place is a mess I'm the one to say no one's going anywhere until we're done cleaning the house. 

I am the same exact way, I cannot live in a dirty house. For me I always get either my Parents, or random buddies for after-work drinks coming over unannounced, so I keep my house clean because of that. 

The same goes for cooking, the majority of the week I get off early to where when I pick the kids up from daycare, I go straight home and get dinner ready.

Quote:I am the same exact way, I cannot live in a dirty house. For me I always get either my Parents, or random buddies for after-work drinks coming over unannounced, so I keep my house clean because of that. 

The same goes for cooking, the majority of the week I get off early to where when I pick the kids up from daycare, I go straight home and get dinner ready.

I'm not going to pretend my days for dinner are anything fancy  Laughing

When I'm doing dinner it's either Fried Chicken and Fries, I pick up Pizza or Spaghetti! My wife makes the REAL meals no denying it! 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]