Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An area of need greater than QB

Quote:Look, we're bringing back like 3 players on the starting offense next year. Changes will be sweeping and unprecedented.

Oh really?

Where do you plan us getting 8 starters from? Did we magically get 8 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks because if you're counting on 5th, 6th and 7th round picks to start then we're better off keeping the guys we have now.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Oh really?

Where do you plan us getting 8 starters from? Did we magically get 8 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks because if you're counting on 5th, 6th and 7th round picks to start then we're better off keeping the guys we have now.
Jags have enough cap to do it

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Jags have enough cap to do it

The Jags also have enough cap to sign the top 3 free agents to long term deals this spring. Is it logical to do so? No.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We need both, but I'd say QB is still the bigger need. Hopefully Joeckel will be back and help at least a little bit with our abysmal line.

You really can't compare an area to a position.

It only takes 1 guy to fulfill your needs at QB. It takes multiple guys to fulfill your needs at OL.

By far the biggest potential bang for your buck with a single pick is at QB.

Quote:I am saying that if there is no immediate plan to improve this offensive line then no we should not draft a QB first overall.

The line can be improved through the draft and through FA. 

I am saying that NO QB can play well under these circumstances.  We need atleast 3 new starting offensive linemen.  If thats not in the immediate future then no we should not draft a QB.

It would be putting him in a position of failure.
No...putting the team in a position of failure would be most readily accomplished by not getting a franchise QB when we have the chance to get one.  Linemen-especially interior OL where our needs are more pronounced- can be found in mid to late rounds.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2013, 08:08 AM by Jungle Cat.)

The greatest area of need is in scouting.

Part of the reason we messed up in rounds three thru five this year relates to over-glowing self-assessments made by former GM Gene Smith's scouting department.

Whether you're rising to the top or falling to rock-bottom, you eventually find there's no more room for improvement either way.

Stop improving. It's getting us nowhere. If we fail to eliminate the NFL's worst scouts over the past decade, all we have is a giant scoreboard with nothing to put on it.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

QB is the greatest need. 

The O-Line is definitely a need, also.  Meester, Rackley, and even Nwaneri need to be replaced, and no one playing behind them are the answer to start.       

Quote:The greatest area of need is in scouting.

Part of the reason we messed up in rounds three thru five this year relates to over-glowing self-assessments made by former GM Gene Smith's scouting department.

Whether you're rising to the top or falling to rock-bottom, you eventually find there's no more room for improvement either way.

Stop improving. It's getting us nowhere. If we fail to eliminate the NFL's worst scouts over the past decade, all we have is a giant scoreboard with nothing to put on it.
We messed up on rounds three thru five? I imagine that is news to pretty much everybody.

Quote:The greatest area of need is in scouting.

Hey how bout that

Quote:QB is the greatest need. 

The O-Line is definitely a need, also.  Meester, Rackley, and even Nwaneri need to be replaced, and no one playing behind them are the answer to start.

This

Quote:No...putting the team in a position of failure would be most readily accomplished by not getting a franchise QB when we have the chance to get one.  Linemen-especially interior OL where our needs are more pronounced- can be found in mid to late rounds.
You don't get it.  One is not going to be successful without the other.  If you put a young Qb behind this line you are setting him up for failure.  Both should be addressed this offseason. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:You don't get it.  One is not going to be successful without the other.  If you put a young Qb behind this line you are setting him up for failure.  Both should be addressed this offseason. 
No one is suggesting the O-line doesn't need help.  Of course Caldwell will address that and all the team's weaknesses in the offseason, that's his job.  The point is, QB is the single most important position on any football team and it's not even close. Sorry, that's just the way it is.  Everything on offense flows through the guy making decisions with the ball.  If you need a qb and you've got one of the top 2 or 3 overall picks and there's an concensus franchise level player available, you grab him.  Period!

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:You don't get it.  One is not going to be successful without the other.  If you put a young Qb behind this line you are setting him up for failure.  Both should be addressed this offseason. 

They both will be addressed. Its clear those are the two biggest weaknesses on the team.

Theres going to be at least 2 new starters on the offensive line, and those upgrades combined with Joekel and Paztor (if he keeps his current play up) will make the line functional for whoever we draft.

Quote:Tell me what good is a QB with a line who cant protect him by either running the ball or pass protection. It's easy to kill a rookie Qb's confidence and get him hurt with a line who can't protect him

This sentiment is soo 5 years ago, lotta young Qbs making their teams look better than they are right now!

Quote:This sentiment is soo 5 years ago, lotta young Qbs making their teams look better than they are right now!

I don't know. I think the Colts were crazy for taking Luck. They should have gone Matt Kalil.

;

;

Quote:I don't know. I think the Colts were crazy for taking Luck. They should have gone Matt Kalil.

And boom goes the dynamite, lol

Exactly right! I don't get the thought behind building the team up before we take "the guy"

My only issue personally is this years Qbs I do get the boom/bust feeling about not unlike the current bust/horrid bust sitch with Blaine "just plain bad" Gabbert

Having said that it if the jags took a QB #1 every year till they found one worth getting excited about would it be that bad if it took another try or two?

Preferably they nail it I get it but at this point please don't try and tell me any of you said this past draft, I can't wait to go watch Joeckle play! He's gonna be soo great blocking out there, I'm gonna get so jacked up man!

Say we draft Clowney and he plays like he did last year, so what! Still no QB to win a game with. A DE can get you multiple sacks in every game and not affect a game enough to make a difference between winning and losing, only a QB can do that for you.

Quote:No.

Joeckel will be back.

Pasztor is solid.

Uche is serviceable.

Brad and Rackley should be replaced.

The fact that Henne can't move around in the pocket is a problem.

This type of homerism is what gets you guys into trouble. 

Pasztor is "solid" ? Meaning he hasn't gotten destroyed. Do you really think he's a long term solution? He's nice to have really. You would love to see development there, but is he really going to be the future? 

Rackley and Nwaneri are both god awful, there are probably 10-15 un-drafted offensive lineman you could plug in a have the same success. Those two are the biggest weakness on the line. The interior just implodes right off the snap on almost every down. 

Joeckel was not that good when he did play albeit he had little experience. So I can't really judge him and I did not care for him in the first place, so I'm trying to not be biased with his development. 

Lets be honest. If the Jags won a few games and end up picking a few slots down in the draft, and say a Jake Mathews is there and he grades out well, I'd be hesitant not to take him. 

Quote:This type of homerism is what gets you guys into trouble.  Pasztor is "solid" ? Meaning he hasn't gotten destroyed. Do you really think he's a long term solution? He's nice to have really. You would love to see development there, but is he really going to be the future?  Rackley and Nwaneri are both god awful, there are probably 10-15 un-drafted offensive lineman you could plug in a have the same success. Those two are the biggest weakness on the line. The interior just implodes right off the snap on almost every down.  Joeckel was not that good when he did play albeit he had little experience. So I can't really judge him and I did not care for him in the first place, so I'm trying to not be biased with his development.  Lets be honest. If the Jags won a few games and end up picking a few slots down in the draft, and say a Jake Mathews is there and he grades out well, I'd be hesitant not to take him.

That must be some elite intelligence right there, I can't decipher whether taking the best available OL is what your advocating or not!

Your too smart for me

Quote:This type of homerism is what gets you guys into trouble. 

In what trouble exactly?

;

;