Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I hate to be this guy again but....

Quote:The point remains, Henne sucks, he gives us little to no chance to win, the absolute worst that can happen if you stick Stanzi or Scott on for a half of football is that they play worse than 4 TDs, 9 INTs and 72 QBR in 9 starts. Lets be honest, its no loss is it?

Call me insane, but if they manage to do something mind blowing like I don't know, throw more TDs than INTs or more than one TD every 2 games, they might even be worth keeping around next year which would make either one 100% more valuable than Henne.

We wont know unless we try.

Using that logic, there's no loss playing me at QB either.  

Can I play quarterback this week? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's close enough. And my guess is if you cut out the bench warmers, Iowa would be above half the teams on that list. The teams above have typically high draft classes and then a lot of players drafted don't pan out. My overall point is that Iowa is a much better producer of NFL talent than Missouri. Can you at least agree with that? Or is your head so far up Blaine Gabbert's butt that you don't realize it?

You stay classy Stan Ziego.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013, 05:20 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:It's close enough. And my guess is if you cut out the bench warmers, Iowa would be above half the teams on that list. The teams above have typically high draft classes and then a lot of players drafted don't pan out. My overall point is that Iowa is a much better producer of NFL talent than Missouri. Can you at least agree with that? Or is your head so far up Blaine Gabbert's butt that you don't realize it?

I've presented facts, you answer with guesses and attempts at discrediting my sources.

Yes, I agree that Iowa has produced more NFL players than Missouri, but that is a straw argument.

USC has produced more NFL players than Miami of Ohio. Does that mean Mark Sanchez is better than Ben Roethlisberger?

Florida has produced more NFL players than South Florida. Does that mean Derrick Harvey is better than Jason Pierre-Paul?

I have never posted that Blaine Gabbert is a good quarterback, but you've never posted anything credible to prove that Stanzi is a better option.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Using that logic, there's no loss playing me at QB either.  

Except it isn't because these guys were deemed worthy to make the team/PS, you weren't.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:I'd also like to point out the amount of 5 star recruits that a school like Florida (who you all think is soooooo much better apparently) has to produce NFL players compared to a school like Iowa. Iowa is top 3 or 4 in PRODUCING NFL talent. So what if some 5 star recruits stop by Florida to play for a couple years before moving on?

Again, prove that 3rd or 4th is a valid ranking.

You can't.

- Bob Marley

Quote:I've presented facts, you answer with guesses and attempts at discrediting my sources.

Yes, I agree that Iowa has produced more NFL players than Missouri, but that is a straw argument.

USC has produced more NFL players than Miami of Ohio. Does that mean Mark Sanchez is better than Ben Roethlisberger?

Florida has produced more NFL players than South Florida. Does that mean Derrick Harvey is better than Jason Pierre-Paul?

I have never posted that Blaine Gabbert is a good quarterback, but you've never posted anything credible to prove that Stanzi is a better option.
Yes, I have. Just look at their college stats, watch any of their games (college or preseason, or Blaine's NFL career) and it's obvious. It's so obvious it hurts.

And no, that doesn't mean Sanchez is better than Big Ben, but I was using the illustration as part of a bigger point...which is a point that seems obvious to everyone in the world besides a few select jags fans on this board. We need Gabbert and Henne out ASAP, or this team is going to be in the cellar a lot longer than you guys think.

Quote:Using that logic, there's no loss playing me at QB either.  

Yes

Quote:Again, prove that 3rd or 4th is a valid ranking.

You can't.
To someone who obviously doesn't pay attention to where NFL players went to college, you're right. I can't. It's like trying to explain a 4-3 defense in a World of Warcraft chat room.

Quote:To someone who obviously doesn't pay attention to where NFL players went to college, you're right. I can't. It's like trying to explain a 4-3 defense in a World of Warcraft chat room.

It's simple numbers. The data is out there, yet you keep pulling figures from off the top of your head.

Also, of the 26 players from Iowa who are currently on NFL rosters, only one is a quarterback.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Ricky Stanzi. Ricky Stanzi. Ricky Stanzi.
[Image: tumblr_mwdxo5Ch3Q1sljr1ro1_500.jpg]

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Quote:Except it isn't because these guys were deemed worthy to make the team/PS, you weren't.

So practice squad is the minimum threshold?  Why practice squad?  Aren't you being kind of arbitrary?  

What you're basically saying is that the coaches decided these guys were worthy of making the team, therefore they should have a chance to play.   Why trust the coaches on that, but not trust the coaches on who should play?   Haven't the coaches decided the practice squad is where these guys belong (and that I don't belong on the practice squad)?   You trust the coaches to decide that, but you don't trust the coaches to decide who should play in the games?  

You may be Mr. Sensible, but you're not Mr. Logical. 

Quote:It's simple numbers. The data is out there, yet you keep pulling figures from off the top of your head.

Also, of the 26 players from Iowa who are currently on NFL rosters, only one is a quarterback.
True, but I think slick Rick is the only QB that has played there that has had legitimate NFL talent and plays like an NFL style quarterback.

Quote:So practice squad is the minimum threshold?  Why practice squad?  Aren't you being kind of arbitrary?  

What you're basically saying is that the coaches decided these guys were worthy of making the team, therefore they should have a chance to play.   Why trust the coaches on that, but not trust the coaches on who should play?   Haven't the coaches decided the practice squad is where these guys belong (and that I don't belong on the practice squad)?   You trust the coaches to decide that, but you don't trust the coaches to decide who should play in the games?  

How many players on this team right now is Gus responsible for bringing to the team?

Quote:Who said starters?

On any other team Henne wouldnt be a potential starter, should we bench him for that?

The point remains, Henne sucks, he gives us little to no chance to win, the absolute worst that can happen if you stick Stanzi or Scott on for a half of football is that they play worse than 4 TDs, 9 INTs and 72 QBR in 9 starts. Lets be honest, its no loss is it?

Call me insane, but if they manage to do something mind blowing like I don't know, throw more TDs than INTs or more than one TD every 2 games, they might even be worth keeping around next year which would make either one 100% more valuable than Henne.

We wont know unless we try.

That's some pretty weak logic there.  What Henne would be on another roster is completely irrelevant, and more or less a straw man argument.  Everyone knows Henne sucks, but on this roster, he sucks the least of what we've got currently active.  While his mistakes are mind numbingly annoying, he's still shown the ability to take a non-existent pass offense under Gabbert and at least turn it into a middle of the road unit for the purposes of evaluation. 

You're under the illusion that Henne is out there because he gives us the best chance to win, and I contend that's really not what they're concerned about at this point.  This is a full blown rebuild, and Henne has proven to be the most effective QB at giving them an opportunity to evaluate the receivers they have on the roster.  You opine that he sucks, but he's had multiple 300 yard games this year, and is averaging better than 250 yards per start.  So, someone is catching those passes and making plays.  Regardless of whether he's good or not, Henne has vastly more experience than either Stanzi or Scott who both combine to have zero NFL starts, and zero NFL stats.  We're getting adequate production from Henne to be able to determine what other pieces we have that we can work with moving forward.  Nobody is thinking Henne is going to prove himself to be anything more than he is, which is still better than Gabbert, Stanzi, and Scott at this point. 

There are several young receivers and TEs who the team needs to evaluate to see where they stand, especially with Blackmon and his issues.  We need to know for certain that we've got some guys we can plug in now and over the next couple of years to help this team.  That's not going to happen with Stanzi or Scott.  Neither of these guys has ever read an NFL defense and made snap decisions.  Henne has.  Everyone on the planet knows this team is taking a QB next year in the draft, so it's clear they don't think they've got "the guy" on the roster right now, so it's time to look at what other parts they've got so when they do land the next QB, he'll have the tools to work with.  You do more harm than good at this point in making those decisions by putting in even less effective QBs than Gabbert or Henne.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:How many players on this team right now is Gus responsible for bringing to the team?
That really doesn't matter.  Gus is the guy making the decision as to who is on the active roster, who is active each week, and which players wind up on the practice squad.  He and his coaching staff are the guys working with the players on a daily basis, and not just digging up Youtube video of their players to use like some mix tape to get themselves excited.  They work with the players, know what they're capable of, and make the determination as to who plays and who doesn't.  Stanzi seems to be low man on the active roster totem pole.  That's not speaking volumes for his ability if he can't leapfrog Gabbert or Henne. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:So practice squad is the minimum threshold?  Why practice squad?  Aren't you being kind of arbitrary?  

Don't do that 'you dont trust the coaches, how do you know whats going on' thing, we're a bunch of morons spit balling on a message board.

Do you think its sensible and logical to keep trotting out the guy who cant even throw a TD every two games and who is without a shadow of a doubt gone next year? Come on. Isnt that Gus's thing, competition? Well seems like a perfect chance to throw in some competition pretty soon, our starter is pretty much useless, our backup is even worse.

Still nobody has answered, what harm can come of giving either guy a half of football next time Henne is sucking?

While I literally know absolutely nothing about Stanzi , Stanzytime2 has a point. Gabbs and Henne are God Awful......

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2013, 06:15 PM by Mr Sensible.)

Quote:That's some pretty weak logic there.  What Henne would be on another roster is completely irrelevant, and more or less a straw man argument.  Everyone knows Henne sucks, but on this roster, he sucks the least of what we've got currently active.  While his mistakes are mind numbingly annoying, he's still shown the ability to take a non-existent pass offense under Gabbert and at least turn it into a middle of the road unit for the purposes of evaluation. 

You're under the illusion that Henne is out there because he gives us the best chance to win, and I contend that's really not what they're concerned about at this point.  This is a full blown rebuild, and Henne has proven to be the most effective QB at giving them an opportunity to evaluate the receivers they have on the roster.  You opine that he sucks, but he's had multiple 300 yard games this year, and is averaging better than 250 yards per start.  So, someone is catching those passes and making plays.  Regardless of whether he's good or not, Henne has vastly more experience than either Stanzi or Scott who both combine to have zero NFL starts, and zero NFL stats.  We're getting adequate production from Henne to be able to determine what other pieces we have that we can work with moving forward.  Nobody is thinking Henne is going to prove himself to be anything more than he is, which is still better than Gabbert, Stanzi, and Scott at this point. 

There are several young receivers and TEs who the team needs to evaluate to see where they stand, especially with Blackmon and his issues.  We need to know for certain that we've got some guys we can plug in now and over the next couple of years to help this team.  That's not going to happen with Stanzi or Scott.  Neither of these guys has ever read an NFL defense and made snap decisions.  Henne has.  Everyone on the planet knows this team is taking a QB next year in the draft, so it's clear they don't think they've got "the guy" on the roster right now, so it's time to look at what other parts they've got so when they do land the next QB, he'll have the tools to work with.  You do more harm than good at this point in making those decisions by putting in even less effective QBs than Gabbert or Henne.

Pretty weak logic yourself. Neither of them have ever played a snap, so what? Everyone starts somewhere.

I dont disagree that

A) We are not playing Henne to win or

B) He probably gives us our WRs and TEs the best chance to catch passes

But, at some point aren't the backup QBs also worth evaluating? If not, why are they here? Is it likely that either one will do better than Henne, not really, but totally out of the realms of possibility that one of them might show some enough potential to keep around next year? No.

We think enough of both guys to keep them around this long into the season, so there must be something positive about these guys, lets swing for the fences. If we have no intention of giving them a shot, give their spots to someone else, its a full rebuild like you say. We may be taking a QB next year, but he will need a backup and we all know that backup wont be Henne.

There are still a fair number of games left, a half of football where someone a bit worse than Henne throws the rock is not going to [BLEEP] the development and evaluation of the rest of the offense.

They're keeping the guys around because they've got plans that go beyond this season, and they want to see how these two might fit into that.  Nothing more.  They were never in the plans for this year unless there was something catastrophic that occurred like injuries to Henne and Gabbert.  Beyond that, they're part of the long term evaluation, and not part of the plan for this season.

Quote:Don't do that 'you dont trust the coaches, how do you know whats going on' thing, we're a bunch of morons spit balling on a message board.

Do you think its sensible and logical to keep trotting out the guy who cant even throw a TD every two games and who is without a shadow of a doubt gone next year? Come on. Isnt that Gus's thing, competition? Well seems like a perfect chance to throw in some competition pretty soon, our starter is pretty much useless, our backup is even worse.

Still nobody has answered, what harm can come of giving either guy a half of football next time Henne is sucking?

So you say the reason I cannot play but Stanzi can is because he is on the practice squad and I am not.   And who decided that?   The coaches.   So you trust the coaches to make that call but you don't trust the coaches to decide Stanzi should stay on the practice squad?