Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Gabbert's NFL career over?

Gabbert may get a chance as a backup and I will tell you why.

Gabbert always looks better in practice and preseason.  He will fool some coach into thinking he can be a decent player by proving he can play well during practice. 

The issue for Gabbert has always been when the games go live.  He just does not play well when the hits get real.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Perfect hindsight vision.. No glasses needed for you..
If you'd like you can do some digging, I've been calling Gabbert the bum he is since his rookie season. I did try to give him a chance in his sophomore year but that was brief.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 01:33 AM by Figurine.)

Many people try to make everything about Gabbert, but he's not the problem at all; the issue most of the time he's been here has been surrounding talent.  Aren't pretty much all of his receivers from 2011 now out of the league?  And we've been over many times how Shorts didn't start until week 7 last year, and Blackmon was having a lot of trouble early in the year.  

And then this year Gabbert's been in an infernal situation.  With no running game and various receivers injured/suspended, he had to face some of the league's toughest defenses.  I thought he did okay against the Chiefs and the Colts.  His passes were mostly accurate; the inexperienced receivers weren't catching or getting open.  I think it's fair to say he did better against the Rams than Locker and Luck, but they don't get the same criticism for some reason.

If you look around the league, the quarterbacks on the most talented teams tend to be the most celebrated.  Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco haven't been their usual dependable selves lately because of surrounding talent issues.  I agree with the posters who think Gabbert can be successful with a good team.  Not playing with practice squad receivers would be a good first step.

(I haven't read this board in a while.  Sorry if these points have already been made.)

Quote:Many people try to make everything about Gabbert, but he's not the problem at all;
After that the rest of your thread has 0 credibility.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:To be fair to Luke McCown, he had a decent game against the Titans. Then had a horror show against the Jets and never played again as a starter. He wasn't exactly given the opportunities that Henne and Gabbert have been afforded.

He used to look way better in the preseason than Henne or Gabbert too

Yeah.... No...

The Jaguars ended up winning the game, but to characterize 175 yards passing and no TDs as "decent" is laughable. By that standard Gabbert's had a bunch of "decent" games and will stick around the league for a while.

Quote:Many people try to make everything about Gabbert, but he's not the problem at all; the issue most of the time he's been here has been surrounding talent.  Aren't pretty much all of his receivers from 2011 now out of the league?  And we've been over many times how Shorts didn't start until week 7 last year, and Blackmon was having a lot of trouble early in the year.  

And then this year Gabbert's been in an infernal situation.  With no running game and various receivers injured/suspended, he had to face some of the league's toughest defenses.  I thought he did okay against the Chiefs and the Colts.  His passes were mostly accurate; the inexperienced receivers weren't catching or getting open.  I think it's fair to say he did better against the Rams than Locker and Luck, but they don't get the same criticism for some reason.

If you look around the league, the quarterbacks on the most talented teams tend to be the most celebrated.  Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco haven't been their usual dependable selves lately because of surrounding talent issues.  I agree with the posters who think Gabbert can be successful with a good team.  Not playing with practice squad receivers would be a good first step.

(I haven't read this board in a while.  Sorry if these points have already been made.)

Everything hasn't been Gabbert, but after seeing him against the Rams it's hard to imagine why anyone would be trying to stick up for him.

Yes, the team around him has been horrible, but he's fit in. He's not been the guy that is clearly better than everyone around him, he's just been a guy that contributed to that horribleness.

Even Manning wouldn't make this roster playoff level, but you'd clearly know if he were here that all the problems around him and that he's good from his play.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 10:55 AM by Cleatwood.)

Quote:Everything hasn't been Gabbert, but after seeing him against the Rams it's hard to imagine why anyone would be trying to stick up for him.

Yes, the team around him has been horrible, but he's fit in. He's not been the guy that is clearly better than everyone around him, he's just been a guy that contributed to that horribleness.

Even Manning wouldn't make this roster playoff level, but you'd clearly know if he were here that all the problems around him and that he's good from his play.
To be honest, the Broncos are starting some scrubs on that offensive line due to injuries. If he were the QB of this team, I can see Manning beating the cardinals, raiders, tacks twice, texans twice, rams, bills, browns, broncos and possibly one of the better teams to make us 9-7 or 10-6... which would most likely get us into the playoffs.

I think you're underestimating how good Manning is (he would make Cecil so much better and probably hold Blackmon accountable so he doesn't screw up).. He would keep so many drives alive that the defense would be fresher. He makes every position on this team (offense and defense) better.

Quote:To be honest, the Broncos are starting some scrubs on that offensive line due to injuries. If he were the QB of this team, I can see Manning beating the cardinals, raiders, tacks twice, texans twice, rams, bills, browns, broncos and possibly one of the better teams to make us 9-7 or 10-6... which would most likely get us into the playoffs.

I think you're underestimating how good Manning is (he would make Cecil so much better and probably hold Blackmon accountable so he doesn't screw up).. He would keep so many drives alive that the defense would be fresher. He makes every position on this team (offense and defense) better.

That people dont see this astounds me. The defense would not be on the field for the majority of games and that alone would accounts for 2-3 wins so far this year as the D has been solid in games until the offense hangs them out to dry drive after drive.

Quote:To be honest, the Broncos are starting some scrubs on that offensive line due to injuries. If he were the QB of this team, I can see Manning beating the cardinals, raiders, tacks twice, texans twice, rams, bills, browns, broncos and possibly one of the better teams to make us 9-7 or 10-6... which would most likely get us into the playoffs.

This may be the case, but this is by far the worst team I've ever seen take the field of an NFL stadium in my life.

Manning would definitely win some games here, I'm just not convinced he'd take this roster to the playoffs.

Of course, if we had manning we likely wouldn't have a roster of this level to even consider it. The front office would make sure he had a minimum level of quality around him even if it took spending some money in free agency to do it.

Quote:If you'd like you can do some digging, I've been calling Gabbert the bum he is since his rookie season. I did try to give him a chance in his sophomore year but that was brief.

I've been frequenting these last 3 message boards we've had for a long time. There's always someone claiming that someone on this roster sucks, and when they do hit on something, its nothing but years of "i told you so".. Well, you're not telling me squat cause in reality, if you were truly great at evaluating talent, you would be working for a scout team and not be here on a fan forum.

You hit the lotto on calling Gabbert a bust.. Congratulations?
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Many people try to make everything about Gabbert, but he's not the problem at all; the issue most of the time he's been here has been surrounding talent.  Aren't pretty much all of his receivers from 2011 now out of the league?  And we've been over many times how Shorts didn't start until week 7 last year, and Blackmon was having a lot of trouble early in the year.  

It's either you've been living under a rock since Gabbert was drafted back in 2011 or you haven't watch any of the Jags game in the three years he has been here.

Quote:Everything hasn't been Gabbert, but after seeing him against the Rams it's hard to imagine why anyone would be trying to stick up for him.

The Rams' defense has been very good recently.  Many QBs have had rough games against them in the last few weeks.  I like to compare Andrew Luck to Gabbert because they keep doing roughly the same thing against common opponents.  Luck had one fumble that was returned by Rams for a TD, and he threw three INTs.  The final score was 38-8 Rams.  Why does Andrew Luck get a pass?

I think if Peyton Manning were here, everyone would be wondering why he can't play football anymore.  He picked the Broncos because it was a good situation -- experienced receivers and some other talent on offense, as well as what was then a nice defense.

Several NFL quarterbacks people think of as good (Matt Ryan, Flacco, Eli, Brady) are having down years because they have lost teammates to injury or to other teams.  I think people perceive Gabbert as "bad" for many reasons that have nothing to do with him, but mostly because he's pretty much always played with either bad or very inexperienced (but promising) receivers.

I think having to sit this year might even help him out...I would rather have him as a backup than Henne next year

"A lion never roars after the kill."

Quarterbacking is in such high demand in the NFL, I have no doubt he can be a back up QB somewhere. But as a franchise QB for any NFL team, those days are over.

(This post was last modified: 11-21-2013, 09:09 AM by jagherd.)

Quote:Quarterbacking is in such high demand in the NFL, I have no doubt he can be a back up QB somewhere. But as a franchise QB for any NFL team, those days are over.
I'm pondering if Gabbert could be a good backup for the Colts. How much longer does Hasselbeck have (1 or 2 year deal, idk)?

Anyway, hear me out on this. Luck is the entrenched starter for years to come. He is extremely tough, and not likely to miss much time in the future for injury.

Gabbert's big issue seems to be pocket toughness/awareness. He'd certainly get to watch and learn that from one of the toughest guys. I wonder.....

Gabbert has head scratching talent.  How can someone work so hard, be so physically gifted, study the game and have no awareness on the field?  He just doesn't have game day skill.  The NFL is crazy like that.  Makes me wonder how analytics will make a difference.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:The Rams' defense has been very good recently.  Many QBs have had rough games against them in the last few weeks.  I like to compare Andrew Luck to Gabbert because they keep doing roughly the same thing against common opponents.  Luck had one fumble that was returned by Rams for a TD, and he threw three INTs.  The final score was 38-8 Rams.  Why does Andrew Luck get a pass?

I think if Peyton Manning were here, everyone would be wondering why he can't play football anymore.  He picked the Broncos because it was a good situation -- experienced receivers and some other talent on offense, as well as what was then a nice defense.

Several NFL quarterbacks people think of as good (Matt Ryan, Flacco, Eli, Brady) are having down years because they have lost teammates to injury or to other teams.  I think people perceive Gabbert as "bad" for many reasons that have nothing to do with him, but mostly because he's pretty much always played with either bad or very inexperienced (but promising) receivers.
Is this a joke? Has to be a joke. Comparing Luck and Gabbert? No one can be that dumb right?

Trade Gabbert for Ponder

;

;

Quote:Trade Gabbert for Ponder

I don't know whether to laugh or say hell yeah lol

Quote:The Rams' defense has been very good recently.  Many QBs have had rough games against them in the last few weeks.  I like to compare Andrew Luck to Gabbert because they keep doing roughly the same thing against common opponents.  Luck had one fumble that was returned by Rams for a TD, and he threw three INTs.  The final score was 38-8 Rams.  Why does Andrew Luck get a pass?

Let me put it this way: 95% of the fans would much rather watch Tim Tebow plays QB for the Jags than Blaine Gabbert right now.