Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Troy Aikman & Drew Bree's On Johnny Manziel

Hall of Fame Quarterback on Johnny Manziel (Sporting News):

"I got a chance to see his game against Alabama from start to finish and I was really impressed with a lot of the throws that he made. There's no doubt in my mind that with his playmaking ability, he was doing it last year as a freshman against good competition, I would anticipate that he will be drafted relatively high. Whether or not he'll be a first-round pick, I don't know, but I think he'll be successful when he gets his opportunity. I think he's coming into the league at the right time when people are more open-minded about quarterbacks that can really run with the football."

New Orleans Quarterback Drew Brees

Fox sports.com

When asked if Manziel could be a starter at the NFL level, Bree's told fox sports.com, "Yeah, absolutely. He is a heck of a player. He's fun to watch. He makes all kinds of plays. He's got all the playmaking ability to be a great player. There are guys like Manziel in this league. Russell Wilson and his ability to run the football and extend plays outside the pocket and throw the ball down the field. Intermediate routes. I mean he can do it all."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I dont think his talent is in question.  At least it shouldnt be.  You just cant deny the production.

His question marks will be can he survive the punishment, ie will he be smart about it when he runs ala Russell Wilson and not like RG3.  And second, does he have the maturity to put in the time and work to be a pro and not be a distraction.  And those are hard to predict.  Some team will take the risk and find out.

From a marketing point of view, if we are not able to land Bridgewater at #1, trading down and drafting Manziel in the middle of the 1st round would make the Jags marketing job (ticket sales) so much easier.

If we don't get a Bridgewater or Manziel AND don't make a splash in free agency, I don't see how we sell addtional tickets -- Lamping & company can only do so much (in absense of actual wins) to keep a tiring town interested and willing to spend time and money on the Jags.

With Bridgewater or Manziel, the fanbase would be revived.   Winning is TBD but the ticket sales would take care of itself.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2013, 09:40 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:I dont think his talent is in question.  At least it shouldnt be.  You just cant deny the production.

His question marks will be can he survive the punishment, ie will he be smart about it when he runs ala Russell Wilson and not like RG3.  And second, does he have the maturity to put in the time and work to be a pro and not be a distraction.  And those are hard to predict.  Some team will take the risk and find out.

In reality, that can now be said about any QB.  Just look at RGIII who's been injured all throughout college and now in the NFL.  Locker?  out for the season.  Gabbert?  sucks and always injured.   Big Ben?  ongoing injuries each season .....

Manziel w/ a serviceable back up would be a plan.

I like Manziel and would be okay with him if we cannot get Bridgewater. I agree with the above and think he would be great for marketing and would instantly give the team some buzz. And unlike another QB that was talked about the last several years, I think Manziel has the skillset to be an NFL quarterback. But he will have to adjust his playing style.

;

;

I think he will adjust his style and adapt to the NFL very well. He adapted to the Texas A&M read option very fast with amazing success. In high school, he played the role of pocket passer with exceptional escape ability. He was a pass first.....run 2nd quarterback. The only thing was that he didn't play under center and that will take time to get used to. But I believe he will. He is very coachable. I know it's blasphemy around here but if I was playing GM, and thank God I'm not, I might trade back a few spots and grab him. I would be afraid to trade back too far as I think he'll be top 10 or even 5 come draft time. I've seen a few mock drafts having him go to Houston. I would HATE having to play against him.

I'm just glad we are in a position to possibly get any of the highly touted QB's in this upcoming draft. PLEASE GOD WHICHEVER ONE WE TAKE MAKE HIM BE GREAT!

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

I'm sure the Vikings fans will love reading this since they will end up with this garbage pile.

TEST

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 07:23 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Aikman makes a valid point about more open-mindedness about quarterbacks that can run the football. Yeah, but Johnny Manziel is a heck of a passer. I don't want to draft a running quarterback because they don't last.

If Johnny Football had calmed down this year and shown some sort of maturation as a passer sans rushing the football, what NFL team wouldn't realize it?

The time to eliminate the tendency to rush instead of remain in the pocket is in college. NFL teams traditionally don't like running quarterbacks. Coordinators have about four to five receiving options on every single passing situation. Having a quarterback that bolts is actually a sign of weakness. 

I don't see a dual-threat mesh guy kind of quarterback maintaining the rushing part of it and having any kind of sustained NFL success. It's ironic that the damage is done in the period of converting the running man to the preferable pocket passer. 

Also, over the course of a season, a college quarterback might see three things that he will have to become accustomed to and adjust his game accordingly.

The pro game is by far more sophisticated whereas the young quarterback will see three things all on the same play, and three totally different things on the next play. If you consider this faithfully, then Gabbert's struggles begin to make sense. Eli Manning has more Super Bowls wins than his brother. Yet, nobody ever thought twice about which of the two was better. Eli is simply smarter and that allows him to play on the ropes better.

Bill Walsh said the most important thing he needed to see in a quarterback was what he called "spontaneous genius"

"The single trait that separates great quarterbacks from good quarterbacks is the ability to make the great, spontaneous decision, especially at a crucial time. The clock is running down and your team is five points behind. The play that was called has broken down and 22 players are moving in almost unpredictable directions all over the field.

This is where the great quarterback uses his experience, vision, mobility and what we will call spontaneous genius. He makes something good happen. This, of course, is what we saw in Joe Montana when he pulled out those dramatic victories for Notre Dame."
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/DS9...lsh2qb.htm

In that regard, the head of the quarterback class this year is Johnny Manziel. But the QB rush might prohibit him from having sustained success.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:Aikman makes a valid point about more open-mindedness about quarterbacks that can run the football. Yeah, but Johnny Manziel is a heck of a passer. I don't want to draft a running quarterback because they don't last.

If Johnny Football had calmed down this year and shown some sort of maturation as a passer sans rushing the football, what NFL team wouldn't realize it?

The time to eliminate the tendency to rush instead of remain in the pocket is in college. NFL teams traditionally don't like running quarterbacks. Coordinators have about four to five receiving options on every single passing situation. Having a quarterback that bolts is actually a sign of weakness. 

I don't see a dual-threat mesh guy kind of quarterback maintaining the rushing part of it and having any kind of sustained NFL success. It's ironic that the damage is done in the period of converting the running man to the preferable pocket passer. 

Also, over the course of a season, a college quarterback might see three things that he will have to become accustomed to and adjust his game accordingly.

The pro game is by far more sophisticated whereas the young quarterback will see three things all on the same play, and three totally different things on the next play. If you consider this faithfully, then Gabbert's struggles begin to make sense. Eli Manning has more Super Bowls wins than his brother. Yet, nobody ever thought twice about which of the two was better. Eli is simply smarter and that allows him to play on the ropes better.

Bill Walsh said the most important thing he needed to see in a quarterback was what he called "spontaneous genius"

"The single trait that separates great quarterbacks from good quarterbacks is the ability to make the great, spontaneous decision, especially at a crucial time. The clock is running down and your team is five points behind. The play that was called has broken down and 22 players are moving in almost unpredictable directions all over the field.

This is where the great quarterback uses his experience, vision, mobility and what we will call spontaneous genius. He makes something good happen. This, of course, is what we saw in Joe Montana when he pulled out those dramatic victories for Notre Dame."
- <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/DS97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm'>http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/DS97/walsh/walsh2qb.htm</a>

In that regard, the head of the quarterback class this year is Johnny Manziel. But the QB rush might prohibit him from having sustained success.

Great points. Once in the NFL, he won't be running much. He and his future coaches know this. I think he will be surprisingly durable too. He's kind of a thick dude and very tough. University of Texas wanted him as a defensive back. He seriously was considering it till his dad stepped in. Dad said, "You're a quarterback Johnny". One of the things that impress me about him is his "heart". Dude is such a fighter. For me, right now, he's neck and neck with Bridgewater. I'll wait and watch his games against LSU and Missouri and his bowl game. I look forward to Bridgewater's bowl game. Wish he had played against better competition this year. I would have loved to watch him on a SEC or PAC 10 team.

Quote:Aikman makes a valid point about more open-mindedness about quarterbacks that can run the football. Yeah, but Johnny Manziel is a heck of a passer. I don't want to draft a running quarterback because they don't last.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/DS9...lsh2qb.htm

Great post.  If you watch Manziel this year compared to last year you will see he is staying in the pocket and looking to throw a lot more as well.

Manziel 2014!