Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mel Kiper Draft Top 5

All I know is that drafting Bridgewater in the 1st and a competent pass catching tight end bodes well for the feature especially having Blackmon, shorts iii, sanders and mike thomas

Lets discuss how to win games instead of sell tickets

Mel Kiper is a charlatan same goes for Todd McShay

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:[Image: new.gif]
Gotta admit.....dude comes up with some funny video clips.....love the one with the guy eating popcorn being amused

Quote:According to who?
Gameday

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 08:47 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:Nice link. Thanks.

I like Clowney. I think he's the best player in the draft.

The only downside I see in his game is stamina. He doesn't get any push at times, but I think that has more to do with him being tired. To be fair, he's pushing really hard a lot of the time. Even considering that, he'll be tired, and push hard if he knows that he has a chance to make a play. He doesn't play with the strength you'd expect from someone his size, but he's plenty strong enough. 

He's being used a lot inside when his strength is in space. He's probably better at using his hands than anyone in the draft, and he has a decent bullrush. He has great change-of-direction and first step. Besides, he's only 20-years-old. 

What are you seeing that worries you? 

The low waist line pops out right away. He gets stood up at the line. Not a premium pass rusher at all. Hardly ever capable of quarterback pressure. He lacks a tilted pelvis. No real down-force to his frame at all. Lacks lower body torque. Leaps around a lot due to a high base coupled with less than ideal upper body strength. 

The tape reveals he doesn't have much success when blocked and only appears dominant due to poor blocking schemes. He will be no match for NFL offensive tackles. Block him and he's neutralized. He's easy to wall off. A single sprint TE was able to cut him off from the flow of the play entirely.

Doesn't possess the best feel for the direction of the football.

The lack of production is the foremost concern of all particularly when two-thirds of college level DE production disappears simply by correcting blocking mistakes.

Too big to convert to 3-4 WOLB and lacks the size to play 3-4 DE. Is going to get swallowed up as a 4-3 DE.

Top five pick? Really?

If there was some kind of premium pass rushing ability, perhaps a top three to five pick.

There's just nothing on tape to help him out. He's ordinary if he's blocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpIkjW-CY4#t=244

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 08:52 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Quote:Gotta admit.....dude comes up with some funny video clips.....love the one with the guy eating popcorn being amused
[Image: QbRqqf1.gif]

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:I'd rather have given up a second for Clausen than a top 10 pick for Gabbert.

Quote:Mel was pushing us to take him in the top 10 IIRC, was that the year we didn't have a 2nd?

Yes. Mel had Clausen as a top 5 pick. He was "best available player" on the big board for almost the entire first and second round. He was selling hard on Clausen.

It also came out later that Kiper was friends and had dealings with Clausen's (now deceased) agent Gary Wichard. There was an SI story about it a few years ago but the story sort of went away went Wichard died.

;

;

Quote:just like UCF had zero chance of beating Louisville lol. Only if you knew half as much as u think u do!
So how confident were you about the gators playing vandy?....that was a ballgame...not the same thing.
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

Quote:Because if we followed Mel's picks through the Gene Smith era we'd be a much better organization at this point.

I am pretty sure we could have picked names out of a hat and did better than Gene Smith...

Quote:He was pushing Jimmy Clausen on the Jaguars, so I am  not so sure about that.
He wanted us to take JPP over Alualu.  That would make one good player picked in the Gene Smith era.  One more good player than Gene Smith got us...

Manziel 2014!

Barr or Matthews please...

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:He lacks a tilted pelvis.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpIkjW-CY4#t=244'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpIkjW-CY4#t=244</a>
Sig worthy

Quote:Barr or Matthews please...

Top 5 pick on a right tackle? Not happening we know now that the plan was to replace Monroe all along

Quote:Top 5 pick on a right tackle? Not happening we know now that the plan was to replace Monroe all along

It was?

I thought the plan was to have 2 elite tackles. At least according the Jags FO.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Not popular to say around here, but the three guys Kiper put ahead of Bridgewater are REALLY good.

Quote:Not popular to say around here, but the three guys Kiper put ahead of Bridgewater are REALLY good.

I don't think many people would disagree. But this team needs a franchise QB as desperately as any team I've ever seen. If a guy is there, we have to take him.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 07:36 PM by Jinjo.)

Quote:The low waist line pops out right away. He gets stood up at the line. Not a premium pass rusher at all. Hardly ever capable of quarterback pressure. He lacks a tilted pelvis. No real down-force to his frame at all. Lacks lower body torque. Leaps around a lot due to a high base coupled with less than ideal upper body strength. 

The tape reveals he doesn't have much success when blocked and only appears dominant due to poor blocking schemes. He will be no match for NFL offensive tackles. Block him and he's neutralized. He's easy to wall off. A single sprint TE was able to cut him off from the flow of the play entirely.

Doesn't possess the best feel for the direction of the football.

The lack of production is the foremost concern of all particularly when two-thirds of college level DE production disappears simply by correcting blocking mistakes.

Too big to convert to 3-4 WOLB and lacks the size to play 3-4 DE. Is going to get swallowed up as a 4-3 DE.

Top five pick? Really?

If there was some kind of premium pass rushing ability, perhaps a top three to five pick.

There's just nothing on tape to help him out. He's ordinary if he's blocked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cpIkjW-CY4#t=244

Clowney is ordinary? Of all your dumb opinions this one takes the cake. 

BTW i didnt have time to watch that whole tape, but Clowney whips Lewan on the very first play 1 on 1. And im sure he does multiple more times. 

I'm disappointed to learn that Mel Kiper Jr. will no longer be publishing his annual  '' Blue Book'  Draft Guide.   I was a subscribed to Kiper's Guide each year since 1982,  While Kiper made plenty of miscalculations/ mistakes over the years,   including some mentioned in this thread,   his annual Draft Guide was a good source in terms of the NFL Draft and when the NFL games started in the summer:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/i...-mel-kiper

Pete (Spokane)

What was your impression of Jeff Tuel in college?

Mel Kiper
  (2:55 PM)

My final comment last year in the draft report, which was the final edition of my blue book draft report after 35 years, we'll no longer publish it... "Decent to good arm and just enough mobility to get the job done. Extremely accurate. Tough kid. Didn't have a quality supporting cast around him. For what he had to deal with, he did a nice job in handling adversity. I think he has some nice things going for him and could be a guy you hear from down the road. Late round pick or priority free agent."

Petty lookin good, i hope he comes out

Quote:Petty lookin good, i hope he comes out

Same. I haven't seen much but he is definitely intriguing.

Quote:Same. I haven't seen much but he is definitely intriguing.
i have watch his last 4 or 5 games and he is the best QB in college IMO

Quote:I don't think many people would disagree. But this team needs a franchise QB as desperately as any team I've ever seen. If a guy is there, we have to take him.
I don't think the Jags are going anywhere but QB with their first pick, which should be top 3.

But isn't Kiper's top 5 "best available", not predicting the draft order?