Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Because it's never too early for a mock : )

Quote: At this point in time I'll be surprised if Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is the Lions 1st Round selection.  The reason being,  the Lions have been putting much more emphasis on size at CB the last couple of seasons.   Ifo Ekpre-Olomu might prove to be worth pick # 24 but my guess is he will end up with another team.

Thanks for the feedback D6, the Seahawks success in their secondary has got a lot of teams going that route. What position do you think your Lions will target?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No way that many Qbs go in the first this year and no way St.Louis takes another WR or  QB this year . You need to drop Manziel off the list period and have Minnesota taking Mariota after tampa takes Clowney and atlanta takes Barr.

Also if Mike Evans goes before Marquise Lee id expect to look out my window and see plates of bacon flying around. Stephen Tuitt is probably going to go higher as well

There are 7 QB's that have a good chance of going in the first round, and I can certainly see the Rams taking another receiver next year, especially if Sammy Watkins is still on the board, who is the their #1 receiver right now? Do you think the Rams will want to extend Sam Bradford after the 2014 season? I don't think so, especially if he demands a contract in the $10mill-12$mill/year range, Tajh Boyd is a cheaper more dynamic option; nothing should surprise us on draft day.

Quote:Things will change alot between now and May. This time last year people had Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore, Geno Smith and Jonathan Hankins as top 5 picks. It would not surprise me to see guys like Tajh Boyd, Taylor Lewan and Louis Nix go much later than being projected at this time. I also would not be surprised if Mariota went back to Oregon.

I agree with the above.

When's the last time a QB shorter than 6 feet went in the first round?

Quote:When's the last time a QB shorter than 6 feet went in the first round?

How many QB's have been drafted in the first round because they were tall with a howitzer for an arm? Blaine Gabbert and Jeff George come to mind, that didn't work out well for both of those franchises. I also think the success of Drew Brees & Russell Wilson has change the perception of shorter QB's, I don't think there's a GM in football that would want to miss out on the next Russell Wilson, if the guy can play then the guy can play, no matter what his height is. I'm not a Manziel fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if he goes high in the draft because of his incredible production against talented defenses.

Quote:Thanks for the feedback D6, the Seahawks success in their secondary has got a lot of teams going that route. What position do you think your Lions will target?

My pleasure.

Before offering my 2 cents on the question you asked,   in the 2012 Draft the Lions did select a smaller CB,   Bill Bentley in the 3rd Round.   However,  the Lions basically view Bentley as a long term solution as a Nickel CB,  not someone who can be an ideal solution on the outside.    For the Lions to draft a CB in the 1st Round,  unless the player is a dynamic return man in addition to a highly skilled CB,   size and speed likely would both be key factors at the position.

While 2nd Round pick Darius Slay is going through major growing pains,   I still believe he has displayed at times the type of upside ability that he can be a long term solution at the position.    It's a realistic possibility the Lions would invest a 1st or 2nd Round pick in 2014 in another CB.    Yet,   it seems to me that a # 2 WR is the team's greatest need.    Nate Burleson will be 33 next season and is better suited to be a slot receiver at this point of his career.   Ryan Broyles can't stay healthy.   Even if Broyles would have stayed healthy,  he's also better suited to be a slot WR.   The reality of the situation is the Lions need a Titus Young type of WR without the character baggage.      Calvin Johnson is an elite WR but the overall position unit is a concern.

Otherwise,   the Lions have to seriously think of drafting a DT in the top couple of rounds in 2014 or 2015.   I'm not sure if the Lions will be able to keep both Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley long term.   Especially with the money tied into Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson.   Of the two players,   Suh is much more consistent.    Fairley has been plagued with injuries and one never knows which Fairley will show up.   On the same drive in Chicago last Sunday,  he makes a boneheaded penalty.   Then he saves the game on an attempted 2 point conversion.

S Louis Delmas has surprisingly been able to stay relatively healthy this season.     As a result,  Delmas'  contract value in 2014 will be much higher based on the terms of the contract that agent Drew Rosenhaus worked out with the Lions back in March.  If the Lions ask Delmas to restructure the contract and he elects to test the open market,   the Lions might need a Safety to compliment Glover Quin.

Center is a position the team probably will need to address in the next year or two.    Dominic Raiola is having his best season but he's an UFA in 2014,  entering his 14th season.

Tight End is a position to keep an eye on as Brandon Pettigrew is scheduled to be an UFA in 2014.    UDRFA Joseph Fauria has 5 TD's but is currently a liability as a blocker.   Michael Williams ( Alabama ) was the team's 7th Round pick but is on IR.   It remains to be seen if Williams can be more than an extension of the Offensive Line.   

Quote:How many QB's have been drafted in the first round because they were tall with a howitzer for an arm? Blaine Gabbert and Jeff George come to mind, that didn't work out well for both of those franchises. I also think the success of Drew Brees & Russell Wilson has change the perception of shorter QB's, I don't think there's a GM in football that would want to miss out on the next Russell Wilson, if the guy can play then the guy can play, no matter what his height is. I'm not a Manziel fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if he goes high in the draft because of his incredible production against talented defenses.

He's not the same level passer as Wilson was coming out. Despite his production not much about the way he plays QB translates to the NFL, that combined with lack of height makes me doubt he goes in the 1st round. 

Quote:He's not the same level passer as Wilson was coming out. Despite his production not much about the way he plays QB translates to the NFL, that combined with lack of height makes me doubt he goes in the 1st round. 

I respect your opinion; this draft will definitely be interesting because of the QB talent at the top. I'm just never surprised anymore when it comes to where QB's are selected, I didn't see EJ Manuel as a 1st rounder last year, nor did I see Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder as 1st round picks in 2011, I think QB needy teams panic on draft day and pull the trigger on a guy that didn't warrant the selection, you can't fault them because you absolutely need a QB to consistently compete in the NFL.

Quote:I respect your opinion; this draft will definitely be interesting because of the QB talent at the top. I'm just never surprised anymore when it comes to where QB's are selected, I didn't see EJ Manuel as a 1st rounder last year, nor did I see Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder as 1st round picks in 2011, I think QB needy teams panic on draft day and pull the trigger on a guy that didn't warrant the selection, you can't fault them because you absolutely need a QB to consistently compete in the NFL.
QBs are almost always overdrafted because of their value. i see 10-12 qbs getting drafted in the first 3 rounds. this is a deep qb class.

Quote:People really need to get over Manziel. His measurables will be embarrassing at the combine. No chance he goes over guys like Carr, Petty, Mett.

Other than height, Manziel will destroy at the combine.

Quote:Other than height, Manziel will destroy at the combine.

Let's see a quick twitch explosive athlete, yep.

manziel is apparently vince young 2.0/tebow 2.0.  seeing that vince 1.0 and tebow 1.0 were taken in the first round, couple that with their apparent improvement from 1.0 to 2.0 and a lot of math stuff i can conclude manziel will get drafted in the top 10 and maybe even top 5 if i had a better calculator.

Quote:manziel is apparently vince young 2.0/tebow 2.0.  seeing that vince 1.0 and tebow 1.0 were taken in the first round, couple that with their apparent improvement from 1.0 to 2.0 and a lot of math stuff i can conclude manziel will get drafted in the top 10 and maybe even top 5 if i had a better calculator.

They might even have to invent a round 0.

Quote:manziel is apparently vince young 2.0/tebow 2.0.  seeing that vince 1.0 and tebow 1.0 were taken in the first round, couple that with their apparent improvement from 1.0 to 2.0 and a lot of math stuff i can conclude manziel will get drafted in the top 10 and maybe even top 5 if i had a better calculator.

[Image: jags.gif]

Quote:He's not the same level passer as Wilson was coming out. Despite his production not much about the way he plays QB translates to the NFL, that combined with lack of height makes me doubt he goes in the 1st round. 
Ok, can we stop this argument as to whether his game will work in the NFL or not?

No one knows. We've never seen his style of play before. The closest comparison I can come up with is a Russel Wilson who makes poorer decisions, runs more, and has monster statistics. I don't really think we should draft him. But for all that is good and holy, PLEASE stop saying his game won't work.

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

Quote:Ok, can we stop this argument as to whether his game will work in the NFL or not?

No one knows. We've never seen his style of play before. The closest comparison I can come up with is a Russel Wilson who makes poorer decisions, runs more, and has monster statistics. I don't really think we should draft him. But for all that is good and holy, PLEASE stop saying his game won't work.

Cool, but that's still my opinion I've watched Manziel and I don't see him as a successful NFL QB if he comes out in this draft. 

Quote:Draft slots based on season ending today.

1. Jacksonville- QB Teddy Bridgewater

2. Tampa Bay- QB Marcus Mariota

3. Atlanta- DE Jadeveon Clowney

4. Minnesota- QB Johnny Manziel

5. Houston- OLB Anthony Barr

6. Buffalo- OLB Khalil Mack

7. Pittsburgh- T Jake Matthews

8. St Louis (from Washington)- WR Sammy Watkins

9. Oakland- QB Derek Carr

10. NY Giants- T Cyrus Kouandjio

11. St Louis- QB Tajh Boyd

12. Cleveland- QB Zach Mettenberger

13. Miami- T Taylor Lewan

14. Baltimore- WR Mike Evans

15. Tennessee- ILB C.J. Mosley

16. San Diego- TE Eric Ebron

17. Philadelphia- DE Louis Nix

18. Green Bay- TE Jace Amaro

19. Chicago- S HaHa Clinton-Dix

20. Arizona- T Cameron Irving

21. Dallas- DT RaShede Hageman

22. NY Jets- WR Marquise Lee

23. Cincinnati- OLB Vic Beasley

24. Detroit- CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

25. Carolina- DE Trent Murphy

26. Cleveland (from Indianapolis)- RB Lache Seastrunk

27. San Francisco- DL Stephen Tuitt

28. New England- DT Will Sutton

29. New Orleans- DT Dominique Easley 

30. Denver- CB Jason Verrett

31. Seattle- T Antonio Richardson

32. Kansas City- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
+1 to you for the effort.. 

Nice mock..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:+1 to you for the effort.. 

Nice mock..

Thanks sir I appreciate it.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM by bleedingteal.)

Quote:Ok, can we stop this argument as to whether his game will work in the NFL or not?

So, just stop all discussion?

That's the point of this forum. Discussing what you feel about certain players. Please stop trying to ruin discussion.

I agree with Royce. I don't think his style will translate. Don't trust his ability to read defenses, he makes way too many poor decision, and bails the pocket early (he's gotten some what better at this). Not exactly traits I feel lead to success.

I'll be so sad if ASJ gets picked one luck before our 2nd rounder and I think the rams ride with Bradford another year. Well done tho.