Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rashad Jennings

Glad to see him having success in Oakland. Felt like he had a lot of potential but just never put it together here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:[Image: 9funw3.png]

How is she random? Her link pertained directly to the topic at hand.

Quote:How is she random? Her link pertained directly to the topic at hand.

I was thinking the same thing.

Ballin out on the left coast.  Good for him.

It's a shame he couldn't do anything last year here. Might have made at least one of Gene Smith's pick's halfway decent. Although other than Derek cox who doesn't seem to be playing well, a few other people who left Last year seem to be having better seasons this year.  Makes me wonder if it really was the coaching or the scheme's that made them seem bad. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Success? Yea, running through wide open running lanes. 

I also recall the one time he was going to take MJD's job during the hold out... but, yea, turned out he sucked.

Quote:It's a shame he couldn't do anything last year here. Might have made at least one of Gene Smith's pick's halfway decent. Although other than Derek cox who doesn't seem to be playing well, a few other people who left Last year seem to be having better seasons this year.  Makes me wonder if it really was the coaching or the scheme's that made them seem bad. 

Correct me if I'm mistaken but of all of the players that were with the Jaguars last season,   that are playing elsewhere this season,   the player that the highest number of Jaguars fans rather the team have kept was Derek Cox.    It goes to show how unpredictable Free Agent decisions can be.   In this case,  the Jaguars new brass made the correct decision.   Considering that Cox got the most lucrative contract of the 2012 Jaguars that are playing for another team this season,   from that standpoint not having Cox on the books is a significant plus moving forward.   

While Rashean Mathis was a James Harris/  JDR era selection,   not a Gene Smith GM selection,    Mathis is a good example of a player that has improved this season for a major reason other than playing for another team.   In 2012,   Rashean Mathis was still overcoming the torn ACL from the previous season.    With another year away from the injury,  Mathis is making a strong case that he can be an asset even beyond 2013.

Perhaps it wasn't so much Jennings "sucking" as it was a line incapable of creating lanes for him to run through? 

I always liked Jennings, and thought he was a guy who could be developed into a solid #2 behind MJD. He was never able to fully put it together here, but it looks like he's starting to do that in Oakland.  Good for him. Nice guy. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I was a fan of Jennings during his time here. He was always a solid backup. But he had a golden opportunity here last summer and failed to take advantage of it.

Quote:  Correct me if I'm mistaken but of all of the players that were with the Jaguars last season,   that are playing elsewhere this season,   the player that the highest number of Jaguars fans rather the team have kept was Derek Cox.    It goes to show how unpredictable Free Agent decisions can be.   In this case,  the Jaguars new brass made the correct decision.   Considering that Cox got the most lucrative contract of the 2012 Jaguars that are playing for another team this season,   from that standpoint not having Cox on the books is a significant plus moving forward.   

While Rashean Mathis was a James Harris/  JDR era selection,   not a Gene Smith GM selection,    Mathis is a good example of a player that has improved this season for a major reason other than playing for another team.   In 2012,   Rashean Mathis was still overcoming the torn ACL from the previous season.    With another year away from the injury,  Mathis is making a strong case that he can be an asset even beyond 2013.
i think more people wanted to see Daryl smith stay here than Cox, but i do see your point. I also completely agree that he was overrated and i'm glad we're not paying him, especially if gratz keeps up and maybe we snag another corner in the draft next year that can come out and play. From what i was listening to on the radio at work, they said will blackmon was put into the nickle spot and played the best he's played during that tennesee game, so if we can keep him at nickle and get a corner, we'll have Gratz a drafted corner, jeremy harris, and will blackmon as part of our secondary that looks like it's starting to step up. Hopefully Cyprien continues to improve and we either get someone in the draft across from him or evans steps up. 

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:  Correct me if I'm mistaken but of all of the players that were with the Jaguars last season,   that are playing elsewhere this season,   the player that the highest number of Jaguars fans rather the team have kept was Derek Cox.    It goes to show how unpredictable Free Agent decisions can be.   In this case,  the Jaguars new brass made the correct decision.   Considering that Cox got the most lucrative contract of the 2012 Jaguars that are playing for another team this season,   from that standpoint not having Cox on the books is a significant plus moving forward.   

I am happy for Mathis. He is one of my all time favorite Jaguars on and off the field. I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved while he was here.

Well, they are also using him properly in the passing game.  We still, IMO, aren't using MJD enough in the passing game (though we saw more of it the last few weeks).

Quote:It's a shame he couldn't do anything last year here. Might have made at least one of Gene Smith's pick's halfway decent. Although other than Derek Cox who doesn't seem to be playing well, a few other people who left last year seem to be having better seasons this year. Makes me wonder if it really was the coaching or the scheme's that made them seem bad. 

I have been thinking the same thing. George Selvie is a starter in Dallas and we thought he was trash. Tiquan Underwood is a starter in Tampa. I expected Terrance Knighton to be a backup, but that never happened because he earned the starting job in Denver. But Terrelle Pryor is a dual-threat quarterback, so I can't tell how well Khalif Barnes and Tony Pashos are playing in Oakland.

Unfortunately, on Sunday Justin Durant and Daryl Smith suffered leg injuries, so I did not get to see them long enough to make any judgments.

Quote:I have been thinking the same thing. George Selvie is a starter in Dallas and we thought he was trash. Tiquan Underwood is a starter in Tampa. I expected Terrance Knighton to be a backup, but that never happened because he earned the starting job in Denver. But Terrelle Pryor is a dual-threat quarterback, so I can't tell how well Khalif Barnes and Tony Pashos are playing in Oakland.

Unfortunately, on Sunday Justin Durant and Daryl Smith suffered leg injuries, so I did not get to see them long enough to make any judgments.

Selvie plays opposite Demarcus Ware.  Tiquan Underwood has 712 yards and 3 TDs ... FOR HIS ENTIRE 4 SEASON CAREER.  I hear Knighton is playing well, but inconsistent.  The bottom line is we let a bunch of average players go, as well as a bunch of players who disappeared afterwards.  Not a big deal. 

Quote:Perhaps it wasn't so much Jennings "sucking" as it was a line incapable of creating lanes for him to run through? 

I always liked Jennings, and thought he was a guy who could be developed into a solid #2 behind MJD. He was never able to fully put it together here, but it looks like he's starting to do that in Oakland.  Good for him. Nice guy. 

Jennings never ran hard and never had much agility.  That's my general impression from watching him over the years, even the little bit I've seen in Oakland.

Quote:Selvie plays opposite Demarcus Ware.  Tiquan Underwood has 712 yards and 3 TDs ... FOR HIS ENTIRE 4 SEASON CAREER.  I hear Knighton is playing well, but inconsistent.  The bottom line is we let a bunch of average players go, as well as a bunch of players who disappeared afterwards.  Not a big deal. 

Most players we let go were average or below average, but they are not all as bad as we expected. Daryl Smith has been good.

Quote:i think more people wanted to see Daryl smith stay here than Cox, but i do see your point. I also completely agree that he was overrated and i'm glad we're not paying him, especially if gratz keeps up and maybe we snag another corner in the draft next year that can come out and play. From what i was listening to on the radio at work, they said will blackmon was put into the nickle spot and played the best he's played during that tennesee game, so if we can keep him at nickle and get a corner, we'll have Gratz a drafted corner, jeremy harris, and will blackmon as part of our secondary that looks like it's starting to step up. Hopefully Cyprien continues to improve and we either get someone in the draft across from him or evans steps up. 

Being that Daryl Smith remained on the open market until June and received a contract not remotely close to the value that Derek Cox received,  I certainly can understand why any Jaguars fan would have preferred Smith to remain with the team compared to Cox.  Ultimately,  being that the Jaguars are in a rebuilding mode,  that combined with the groin injury Smith dealt with last season are probably the reasons why the Jaguars went in a different direction.     Being that the Ravens were coming off a Super Bowl win and had loses at ILB,   it made sense for Baltimore to sign a savvy veteran like Smith.

With the pieces to the puzzle you mentioned the Jaguars already have in place at CB,   I can easily envision the team brass targeting a CB in the top 2 Rounds of the draft either in 2014 or 2015.   With the hope that the drafted CB will become the # 1 CB.    That would go along way in giving the Jaguars the ability at CB to match up against teams with a highly skilled # 1 WR and good WR depth,     Of course,  the team needs that differential pass rusher off the edge.   That will almost certainly be a priority in the same time span.

Quote:I am happy for Mathis. He is one of my all time favorite Jaguars on and off the field. I don't think he ever got the credit he deserved while he was here.

Rashean Mathis was one of the favorite Jaguars players to watch.    I mentioned the following on the Jaguars section of the previous version of the MB back in March when it became known that the Jaguars and Mathis were going their separate ways but it's worth repeating.   Back in the middle of the 2004 season,   when the Jaguars beat the Lions in OT on a David Garrard to Jimmy Smith TD pass,    Mathis had the best performance at CB that I saw in the NFL that entire season.   Along the lines of what you mentioned,   not only didn't Mathis get the credit he deserved from a significant portion of the Jaguars fan base,  he was one of the most underrated players in the entire NFL for many years.   

When I found out that the Lions signed Rashean Mathis back in August,   I was certainly happy about the news.    Yet,  I thought he would be more of a fill in piece at Nickel Back,  CB,  and Safety.  Bringing good intangibles.    Never did I expect Mathis to become a key piece to the Lions puzzle that is an essential part of the team.   On top of the winning caliber play Mathis has provided,  he's a mentor to both young CB's Darius Slay and Bill Bentley.   He's an ultimate professional.    I can't stress enough that I hope the day comes after Mathis'  playing career that he's inducted into the Jaguars Pride Ring of Honor.   IMO,   Rashean Mathis is easily one of the 5 best Defensive players in the 19 season history of the Jacksonville Jaguars.