Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Braves moving to Cobb County

Quote:Why? What's wrong with the stadium location?

That makes no sense. The city is trying to bring people back to downtown and Khan's real estate trust is building a boutique hotel there. It isn't difficult to get there when all the bridges are open.

It gets built two blocks from my house regardless of where I'm living at the time. Just so you know.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It gets built two blocks from my house regardless of where I'm living at the time. Just so you know.
Finally gonna move into one of those downtown riverfront condos, homebiscuit?   Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

Quote:Why?  What's wrong with the stadium location? 

That makes no sense.  The city is trying to bring people back to downtown and Khan's real estate trust is building a boutique hotel there.   It isn't difficult to get there when all the bridges are open.   

Some people like the current location, some dont. 

I look at the East 295/95 interchange area because there is alot of open land and the stadium can be easily accessed via those two routes (being they build a main access road to the stadium). 

I just dont see downtown really becoming a focal part of the city for entertainment and dining. Until the city takes the homelessness issue seriously, nobody (major retailers/national chain restaurants) will invest in downtown seriously enough and continue to look to areas like the SJTC (slightly northeast of my recommended area) which attracts affluent crowds.

People have been talking about developing Downtown Jax for the last 25 years and nothing has yet to come to fruition and the long time residents know why. Plus they have a major foothold on the area.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:The area around TF started really going downhill a few years after the Braves moved in.

I went to probably 2 or 3 series and parked about 2 miles away from the stadium. If you asked me the Braves made a mistake putting the ballpark there when most of the STH's live north of the city.

Off topic- I brought this up in an thread about Everbank field and the Jaguars future in Jacksonville on the old board. If it gets to the point where the Jaguars  consider building a new stadium, it should be located near the East 295/ 95 Loop or even in St. Johns County.

The old stadium was located where a Turner Field parking lot is currently located. I attended my first game during the Braves first season in Atlanta, and that wasn't a great neighborhood then. Turner Field is located downtown because it was part of the Olympic Stadium.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote: 

People have been talking about developing Downtown Jax for the last 25 years and nothing has yet to come to fruition 
That's false.   When's the last time you had dinner and drinks downtown and took in a show at the Florida theatre?  You should try it sometime.  You may be surprised by the affluence around you.  

Quote:  You may be surprised by the affluence around you.  

Affluence follows you wherever you go. 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

Quote:Affluence follows you wherever you go. 

Money magnetism? 

I have lived within a mile of where the new Braves stadium is going to be built.  And I can tell you its no easier to get there during rush hour than it is the current Ted.  285 going west during rush hour is an absolute parking lot from 4-7 every single afternoon.  So all those rich people who live east of 400 will have an absolute bear of a time getting to the stadium. So I dont know that I buy the reasoning about travel time to get to the game.  Not to mention that while Marta doesnt go to the Ted, it does get close and the team has free bus rides from the marta station to the stadium.  There is no public transportation to this new location.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the current stadium is in the straight up hood.  Any attempt to develop the area around the stadium hasnt worked.  And it sounds as though the city of Atlanta has not been very helpful at even the mere task of finding more parking.

This new location has the advantage that its in a nicer area.  They will be able to build a mixed-use development around the stadium.  Similar to what you've seen other cities do w/ their ballparks (and what Jacksonville should do from Metro Park down to the old courthouse).  And a big thing is it sounds like Cobb County is going to pony up a large sum of money for this.

Quote:The old stadium was located where a Turner Field parking lot is currently located. I attended my first game during the Braves first season in Atlanta, and that wasn't a great neighborhood then. Turner Field is located downtown because it was part of the Olympic Stadium.

I forgot TF was built on top of FCS.

Correct me if im wrong but was the reason why the Braves choose the original Olympic Stadium site was because they thought they could save alot of money for a quick conversion as opposed to building a new stadium in a different location?

Quote:That's false.   When's the last time you had dinner and drinks downtown and took in a show at the Florida theatre?  You should try it sometime.  You may be surprised by the affluence around you.  

I went to the Florida theatre about 3 years ago.

You are talking about very small pockets. I work frequently downtown and the many beer/pubs that wanted to open north of the river never got off the ground or didnt stay in business longer than a year.

Other business/restaurants that thought about starting up downtown balked because of the parking, and the ones that were downtown either saw a drop in customer traffic of closed because of the relocation of the new courthouse.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Money magnetism? 

Interesting concept. Maybe that's it. 

Or it's just you. :p

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

Quote: 

Other business/restaurants that thought about starting up downtown balked because of the parking, and the ones that were downtown either saw a drop in customer traffic of closed because of the relocation of the new courthouse.
Funny.  I've visited a number of great bars downtown in the past few years that seem to be doing fine. In fact I have a friend that owns one that's been open there for over 4 years and is doing better than ever.  

Downtown has a ways to go - but it's steadily gotten better, IMO. 

Quote:Some people like the current location, some dont. 

I look at the East 295/95 interchange area because there is alot of open land and the stadium can be easily accessed via those two routes (being they build a main access road to the stadium). 

I just dont see downtown really becoming a focal part of the city for entertainment and dining. Until the city takes the homelessness issue seriously, nobody (major retailers/national chain restaurants) will invest in downtown seriously enough and continue to look to areas like the SJTC (slightly northeast of my recommended area) which attracts affluent crowds.

People have been talking about developing Downtown Jax for the last 25 years and nothing has yet to come to fruition and the long time residents know why. Plus they have a major foothold on the area.
Maybe you can accuse of me of comparing apples to oranges but if NY Times square can be transformed from homeless, junkies and prostitution into the commercial world powerhouse it is today then we have a chance to revitalize downtown Jax.

It is not only vital for us to become a great city but if we have any chance to attract NCAA championships, world class exhibitions or even super bowls we will need a signature district and downtown provides us our best opportunity to accomplish this.

San Diego has Gaslamp Quarter, New Orleans has the French Quarter and Bourbon Street, Miami has South Beach. we need to develop something iconic for our city.

Quote: 

San Diego has Gaslamp Quarter, New Orleans has the French Quarter and Bourbon Street, Miami has South Beach. we need to develop something iconic for our city.

You don't think a Southside  suburban shopping mall is iconic enough?   :teehee:

Hey  - on topic - we could all eat at Ted Turner's restaurant right after the game if they move the stadium to Jamie's suggested location.  LOL. 

Quote:Funny.  I've visited a number of great bars downtown in the past few years that seem to be doing fine. In fact I have a friend that owns one that's been open there for over 4 years and is doing better than ever.  

The downtown nightlife/bar scene has grown quite a bit, relatively, over the past 4-5 years. I do think it wil only get better with the influence of Khan, and his vision. It really seems as if city leaders are on board with him.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Funny.  I've visited a number of great bars downtown in the past few years that seem to be doing fine. In fact I have a friend that owns one that's been open there for over 4 years and is doing better than ever.  

The amount of homelessness/ vacant buildings vastly outweighs current small business in the area.

Quote:Maybe you can accuse of me of comparing apples to oranges but if NY Times square can be transformed from homeless, junkies and prostitution into the commercial world powerhouse it is today then we have a chance to revitalize downtown Jax.

It is not only vital for us to become a great city but if we have any chance to attract NCAA championships, world class exhibitions or even super bowls we will need a signature district and downtown provides us our best opportunity to accomplish this.

NYC has its homelessness/trash ghettos to thriving economic booming retail/shopping centers in every borough. The difference is the government in each borough dosen't have to deal with roadblocks Jax has to deal with (politically) that keep downtown from thriving economically.

Everything else I agree with

Quote:I forgot TF was built on top of FCS.

Not really on top of it. There is a monument commemorating Hank Aaron's 715th home run at the approximate site of the old baseball diamond in the northern most parking lot at Turner Field.

Correct me if im wrong but was the reason why the Braves choose the original Olympic Stadium site was because they thought they could save alot of money for a quick conversion as opposed to building a new stadium in a different location?

Well, that deal was done before construction of the Olympic stadium commenced but, yeah, it was done to save money. IIRC, there were politics involved, too. The regime at that time didn't want to the Braves moving from downtown.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]