Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why are we fans?

Important Philosophical/Sociological question right here. Why are we fans? What benefits (If any) do we get out of coming to the games and spending all this money on our favorite teams year in, and year out? Why do we even have online message boards about this? Why do we spend all this time sitting on our couch's, or sitting down at our computer screens and watching these football games every Sunday?

It's not like a Jaguar Superbowl win would directly change, or affect anybody's life in either a positive or negative way. I mean, we always use words and phrases like "Our Team", but really, we don't actually own the teams themselves, let alone have much say in how they run their operations. Most Sports teams are usually controlled by wealthy businessmen and investors anyways.

Why do we watch men in their 20's and 30's, (And in some rare cases 40's) collide with eachother at full speed and watch them chase after a single football? Do we as a Society enjoy this because of the violent aspect of it? Are we a barbaric Society?

BTW, this goes for any other Sport, or form of Entertainment out there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Significant and permanent brain damage.

Well, yes,we are a barbaric society. If they had public executions and charged admission , it would sell out.

But anyway, being fans is about a sense of companionship with thousands of others who share at least one common interest. The home team. Black, white, blue collar, white collar, FBT, TMD.... We all share the same thing. It is OUR team. Us against the rest of the big boys.

We may leave the game and be totally opposite in our beliefs, virtues and common ground. But for that one Sunday, we get together, eat, drink, socialize and even get religious after a Gabbert interception and we all look up and say Geeezusss Kheeeirrisst.

But hey, I don't feel guilty drinking a beer at 9 am because we are tailgating...another perk.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:But hey, I don't feel guilty drinking a beer at 9 am because we are tailgating...another perk.
This.  ^  Same reason I play golf.  Excuse to drink beer before noon. 

'Cuz I got nuthin' else to do.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:This.  ^  Same reason I play golf.  Excuse to drink beer before noon. 
Real men don't need excuses. Real men don't start drinking at noon, because that would imply that they stopped at some point.

I honestly don't know anymore. I think it's mainly for entertainment purposes, but then there's also the appreciation of athletic ability and hard work being on display. As for why I am an ardent fan of two of the more miserable franchises in pro sports (Jags and Marlins)...that I can't explain. I just love em I guess. At least I have the Heat for a third option. 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

Because I oscillate and blow air?

Because it's unscripted drama. Live theatre. Every kid has thrown a football, which gives us some weird connection to those who play the game.

We can visualize ourselves as the hero of the drama.

And there's betting, of course.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

There's also the human desire to be part of a group. We like at least partial exclusivity. We don't operate well strictly as individuals and we don't operate very well as a single mass of over 7 billion people. Sports give us an easy way to be part of a group and they also provide us with something we like almost as much as being in a group: conflict.

My best guess would be for the self need to feel a sense of belonging. To claim a team as "yours" along with other fans gives people that sense that you belong to an exclusive group.. That's my opinion anyway..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I am guessing most of us watched with our fathers at a young age. I remember watching Monday Night Football (a perk of being a kid on the west coast) with my dad when I was five years old. I don't remember a time where I wasn't a sports fan.

simple. ego.

12 replies and only 106 views about this topic? WE NEED TO DIG DEEPER ABOUT THIS TOPIC. (Sorry for the caps).

Quote:12 replies and only 106 views about this topic? WE NEED TO DIG DEEPER ABOUT THIS TOPIC. (Sorry for the caps).
If you were actually sorry about the caps you wouldn't have used them.

Quote:12 replies and only 106 views about this topic? WE NEED TO DIG DEEPER ABOUT THIS TOPIC. (Sorry for the caps).

Oh, we do? Okay cool. 

Continue. 

Live long and prosper \\// [Image: 660e5a470556a0f21a991347940d77c860f8c9a5.jpg]

That satisfaction we just felt in our guts about 5 hours ago, that's why.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Beer.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:That satisfaction we just felt in our guts about 5 hours ago, that's why.

I honestly forgot what winning felt like. Now I remember.

;

;

It's called entertainment.  The same reason jobless moms sit home and watch the Young and the Restless.