Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft priorities - Jaguars (McShay)

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM by J-Mizzal.)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/991425...-afc-squad

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><b>Draft analysis:</b> This choice likely could come down to Mariota and Bridgewater, and two key variables would go into the decision: Who do they grade as the No. 1 QB on the board, and are there any QB-needy teams picking in front of them? Both Mariota (No. 2 overall on our board right now) and Bridgewater (No. 3) are very good players, but Mariota gets the slight edge because of his tremendous upside. He has elite speed as a runner to go along with a very quick release and good accuracy. Bridgewater is a good athlete as well, but he does most of his damage from the pocket. He is tough, a good decision-maker and has a strong, accurate arm.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;text-align:right;"><i>-- Todd McShay</i>

He says Mariota but I like his take on Bridgewater much better, good decision maker, better from the pocket, strong and accurate arm. I will take that over elite speed, quick release and upside any day. Its not like Bridgewater doesnt have upside, but just drafting a guy due to better upside gets you fired, see Blaine Gabbert. 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For some reason I have a bad feeling about Mariota.  I just don't think he will be that good. 

I also think the Jags could possibly win a game or two in second half of the season, including this week. 

We will see. 

I would stay away from Mariota though.  If it isn't Teddy, take Clowney. 

Quote:For some reason I have a bad feeling about Mariota.  I just don't think he will be that good. 

I also think the Jags could possibly win a game or two in second half of the season, including this week. 

We will see. 

I agree with your draft prospective

But I havent seen anything that shows me the Jaguars will win anything, plus we just lost Blackmon. 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote: 

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><b>Draft analysis:</b> This choice likely could come down to Mariota and Bridgewater, and two key variables would go into the decision: Who do they grade as the No. 1 QB on the board, and are there any QB-needy teams picking in front of them? Both Mariota (No. 2 overall on our board right now) and Bridgewater (No. 3) are very good players, but Mariota gets the slight edge because of his tremendous upside. He has elite speed as a runner to go along with a very quick release and good accuracy. Bridgewater is a good athlete as well, but he does most of his damage from the pocket. He is tough, a good decision-maker and has a strong, accurate arm.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;text-align:right;"><i>-- Todd McShay</i>

<div>He says Mariota but I like his take on Bridgewater much better, good decision maker, better from the pocket, strong and accurate arm. I will take that over elite speed, quick release and upside any day. Its not like Bridgewater doesnt have upside, but just drafting a guy due to better upside gets you fired, see Blaine Gabbert. 

</div>

It's not a very popular opinion to have around here. Mariota's explosive athleticism is scary good. But for whatever reason people are scared of that. They want a pocket passer who struggles throwing the deep ball and focuses on check downs. Mariotas upside is that he's a quick learner and people just don't want to acknowledge that potential. Watch out when his athletic ability matches his game IQ. It's going to be something to watch. 

Quote:I agree with your draft prospective

But I havent seen anything that shows me the Jaguars will win anything, plus we just lost Blackmon. 

I am just strictly thinking that in the NFL bad teams can usually squeak out 1 or 2 wins.  They very well could go 0-16, but it is very unlikely.

Again...how many snaps has anyone witnessed Mariota lining up under center? Gimmicks don't work with the pros. Give me the guy who can read a d...make adjustments. ..and make the proper throw. Mariota is David Garrard on a better college team....been there, done that.
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

Quote:Again...how many snaps has anyone witnessed Mariota lining up under center? Gimmicks don't work with the pros. Give me the guy who can read a d...make adjustments. ..and make the proper throw. Mariota is David Garrard on a better college team....been there, done that.

I'll take it you were one of those guys who thought Kaepernick didn't stand a chance in the league coming from a pistol/spread offense in Nevada.

How did that end up working out?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:For some reason I have a bad feeling about Mariota.  I just don't think he will be that good. 

We will see. 

Agree.  I would stay away from Mariota. I think he's going to disappoint.  We definitely will see.  I'm not expert.  Not claiming to be.  But Mariota concerns me a lot.  Bridgewater > Mettenberger + Clowney > Mariota IMHO.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Agree.  I would stay away from Mariota. I think he's going to disappoint.  We definitely will see.  I'm not expert.  Not claiming to be.  But Mariota concerns me a lot.  Bridgewater > Mettenberger + Clowney > Mariota IMHO.
 There is just something about running QBs that I want no part of. 

Quote:I'll take it you were one of those guys who thought Kaepernick didn't stand a chance in the league coming from a pistol/spread offense in Nevada.

How did that end up working out?
And to be fair, Kaepernick has one of the strongest supporting casts in the league.  Yes, the 49ers are building an offense to match what he can do, but with the exceptio of the season opener against the Packers, Kaep hasn't been asked to do much of anything.  And for the game where he was asked to make plays and win -- against the Seahawks and Colts -- he struggled.

Take it for what it is.  But if you give me a choice between Bridgewater and Mariota/Manziel, the choice should be clear.

I actually think Manziel is going to be better than Mariota. 

I like Manziel a lot. 

Eh, I don't think Colin Kaepernick is really something great.  It concerns me that he's only had two games this year to throw over 200 yards.  His YPG is 30th in the league.  I think he's good enough to take the team far, but when the 49ers start to regress I think he's going to have a lot of trouble.

Quote: 

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><b>Draft analysis:</b> This choice likely could come down to Mariota and Bridgewater, and two key variables would go into the decision: Who do they grade as the No. 1 QB on the board, and are there any QB-needy teams picking in front of them? Both Mariota (No. 2 overall on our board right now) and Bridgewater (No. 3) are very good players, but Mariota gets the slight edge because of his tremendous upside. He has elite speed as a runner to go along with a very quick release and good accuracy. Bridgewater is a good athlete as well, but he does most of his damage from the pocket. He is tough, a good decision-maker and has a strong, accurate arm.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;text-align:right;"> 

Is this supposed to be a negative? I don't understand.

On Wisconsin.

Quote:Again...how many snaps has anyone witnessed Mariota lining up under center? Gimmicks don't work with the pros. Give me the guy who can read a d...make adjustments. ..and make the proper throw. Mariota is David Garrard on a better college team....been there, done that.

1. Who cares if he doesn't take snaps from under center.

2. He does make reads.

3. He's not close to Garrard and thats a horrible comparison.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM by vagrantwade.)

McShay literally put Mariotta over Bridgewater after "watching some more tape" and then said "I still need to watch more tape on Bridgewater".

ESPN and NFL guys are the worst people to listen to. I remember Daniel Jeremiah was saying how he wasn't sure about Bridgewater and then was like "I haven't watched any of his tape from this year yet but..."

Bridgewater will be back on top of these clown's boards by the time of the draft. Like I've said a million times, they are trying to artificially create another Luck/RG3 situation.

TEST

One GM told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport he believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota will be the No. 1 pick in May's draft.

Rapoport tweeted the information in response to fellow NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah. The latter noted, "if Mariota plays like he did (versus) Washington, good luck beating this team... By far the best I've seen him play. Not nearly as sharp (versus) UCLA." A lot has to happen before Mariota becomes the No. 1 pick, including the redshirt sophomore declaring for the draft. But do not be surprised if it happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marcus Mariota is picked ahead of Teddy Bridgewater, I'd personally prefer Bridgewater. However, I won't dismiss Mariota as being a simple product of the Oregon offense, he's a dynamic player with incredible physical ability, he's intelligent, and has been productive. I'll be happy with either Qb.

That's one General Manager (Probably the one that has Chip Kelly as a head coach).

You almost scared me for a minute.  I thought you said "Our GM" instead of one GM.

Quote:That's one General Manager (Probably the one that has Chip Kelly as a head coach).

You almost scared me for a minute.  I thought you said "Our GM" instead of one GM.

Lol no way it's a first year GM. No first year GM would bet their career on a risk like Mariota. You take Luck over RG3 10 out of 10 times.

TEST

The media is hilarious. Remember how Hundley was in competition to be the second QB taken in the draft? All it took was the first bad game against Oregon for everyone to jump off that bandwagon. If Stanford wins tonight the Mariota bandwagon is going to crash into the side of a mountain.

TEST

Quote:McShay literally put Mariotta over Bridgewater after "watching some more tape" and then said "I still need to watch more tape on Bridgewater".

ESPN and NFL guys are the worst people to listen to. I remember Daniel Jeremiah was saying how he wasn't sure about Bridgewater and then was like "I haven't watched any of his tape from this year yet but..."

Bridgewater will be back on top of these clown's boards by the time of the draft. Like I've said a million times, they are trying to artificially create another Luck/RG3 situation.

For some reason I think you'd be praising "ESPN and NFL guys" if they were ranking Bridgewater over Mariotta. Man, so sensitive. You do realize that your opinion doesn't matter, right?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.