Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stephen Burton

[Image: SchtickHappens.jpg]

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If this is a 'shtick' then shouldn't people ignore it?  I mean you could easily just ignore the negative parts, rather than taking time to respond to them.

On topic, Stephen Burton almost already has more yards than in the previous two years combined.  I'd say that I would like to see him get some touchdowns, but this team doesn't get those very often.  Just don't hand the ball off to him. With Blackmon gone and the playoffs being out of reach very soon, I'd say that we'll be seeing more of him.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Back in Week # 2 last season,   I was watching the Vikings-Colts game.    One of the plays that stood out in the Colts last second win was the excellent concentration that Stephen Burton displayed on what became a TD.   On Vikings.Com  , they have a video of the Burton TD:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/video...0942d71099

Quote:Back in Week # 2 last season,   I was watching the Vikings-Colts game.    One of the plays that stood out in the Colts last second win was the excellent concentration that Stephen Burton displayed on what became a TD.   On Vikings.Com  , they have a video of the Burton TD:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/video...0942d71099

Maybe I'm missing something? That looked like he stood flat-footed and the ball fell in his arms.

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs a calibration...

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

When a team is 0-8 and horrible, since winning is not a realistic option, I look forward to seeing if the young inexperienced guys can rise to the to if given the opportunity.  Pasztor is showing some signs with the opportunity.  Brown has shined in a game.  Burton may be another that has a chance.     

Quote:Maybe I'm missing something? That looked like he stood flat-footed and the ball fell in his arms.

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs a calibration...

Being that Vikings.Com classified Stephen Burton's TD as circus like,  your reaction is very understandable.

My take is many players would have lost focus and wouldn't have been in position to make the catch if something unexpected happened.  To Burton's credit,   he seemed to stay focused and used good hand/ eye coordination to pull the ball in.

Quote:How much playing time is he expected to get this week? 

I have a gut feeling he's going to be a good one. Then again, Jerry Sullivan has been good with developing pretty much all of our young WR's, so its not much of a stretch...

Too bad we only have one or 2 assistant coaches of that ilk on the entire staff. 

Sullivan did a great job coaching Blackmon to get two feet in bounds, IMO.

Quote:Sullivan did a great job coaching Blackmon to get two feet in bounds, IMO.

Gotta give you an A for effort. You always have a knack for finding the cloud behind a silver lining.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Sullivan did a great job coaching Blackmon to get two feet in bounds, IMO.

Wow, really? Really??....

Jerry Sullivan is arguably one of the better position coaches this team has ever had and has developed Blackmon/ Shorts and Mike friggin Brown and you have the stones to whine about a single play in which I really don't think Blackmon had a realistic chance to get his feet down anyway....

:wacko: :blink: 

Adding to what you and some others mentioned:

Jerry Sullivan was the Lions WR coach under Bobby Ross and Gary Moeller.  Former Lions, Chiefs, and 49ers WR Johnnie Morton said repeatedly that Sullivan was the best WR coach he ever played for.    Morton was a 1st Round pick out of USC and played in the NFL for 12 seasons.   His opinion has plenty of credibility.  My guess is many other NFL WR's share Morton's opinion.

Quote:Wow, really? Really??....

Jerry Sullivan is arguably one of the better position coaches this team has ever had and has developed Blackmon/ Shorts and Mike friggin Brown and you have the stones to whine about a single play in which I really don't think Blackmon had a realistic chance to get his feet down anyway....

:wacko: :blink:

You must be forgetting the 5-10 other times Blackmon neglected to get his second foot in to secure a catch.

Quote:Adding to what you and some others mentioned:

Jerry Sullivan was the Lions WR coach under Bobby Ross and Gary Moeller.  Former Lions, Chiefs, and 49ers WR Johnnie Morton said repeatedly that Sullivan was the best WR coach he ever played for.    Morton was a 1st Round pick out of USC and played in the NFL for 12 seasons.   His opinion has plenty of credibility.  My guess is many other NFL WR's share Morton's opinion.

He was being sarcastic with that Blackmon comment, D6. Thats why I confronted him. 

Anyway, we both know how good Sullivan is....

question - since Sullivan was there during the Morton days.....did he also develop Herman Moore? 

Quote:Ahhh, I get it, bringing up supporting information = derailing, but only if its negative. If that second statement said in the OP was "positive" do you think anyone would be talking about any "derailing" right now? Nope. 

To be fair, the last line in your post isn't relevant to the thread at all.

I think that's what the community is up in arms over...

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:He was being sarcastic with that Blackmon comment, D6. Thats why I confronted him. 

Anyway, we both know how good Sullivan is....

question - since Sullivan was there during the Morton days.....did he also develop Herman Moore? 

At the time,  I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not.  Regardless,  it was an opportunity to add to the discussion. 

Being that Herman Moore was already highly accomplished and an elite NFL WR  by the time Jerry Sullivan came to Detroit  ( Moore's 7th season ),  Sullivan didn't develop Moore.   However,  a coach of Sullivan's caliber,  combined with Moore's excellent work ethic and intelligence,  added to the arsenal Moore had at his disposal as a WR.

One added tidbit about Johnnie Morton,  as it relates to Jerry Sullivan.  Morton signed with the SF 49ers in 2005 because Sullivan was their new WR coach.

Being that Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley turned over the vast majority of the Jaguars coaching staff and most of the roster this season,  it's attention getting that they thought highly enough of Sullivan to retain him.    The question is how much longer will Sullivan want to coach,  as he's already 69 years old???  

Burton will likely be the 4th receiver this week behind Sanders - but he will also split KR duties with Todman. 

If they really want to see what he's got - they may slide him in as the 3rd WR a few times.  Bradley makes it sound like they want to find a way to utilize his speed. 

I'm sure he will get to go through some motions as will the other WR's as we continue our walk through the rest of the season.

No pain, no gain.