Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stadium Vote A Sign of the Future?

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013, 02:21 AM by Jungle Cat.)

I'm for a multi-million dollar stadium "upgrade" on the condition Shad Khan agrees that the lease on Jacksonville's Municipal Stadium by the Jaguars is extended for twenty or more years.

The original lease is due to expire in ten or eleven years, but the NFL is currently experimenting on termination.

The city and the Jaguars' owner can go farther in developing a strong bond by examining public lands, particularly along I-95 north or south of town, which might be made available to the Jaguars to own or long-term lease or even swap under the terms of the current lease.

This would allow the Jaguars to move the practice fields to a more secluded, less urban area making way for a multi-level parking garage next to the stadium with a cross-over to the skirt of the stadium.

Additionally, a monorail platform could be blended in with the idea that the downtown monorail tracks will eventually extend to the stadium as part of the huge northeast Florida transportation transformation in our future.

Winning isn't the only thing holding folks around town back. Many don't want to invest so much of themselves into a football franchise constantly rumored to be leaving Jacksonville.

A lease extension and broader vision for the future is really needed. (pun intended)

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There's a need for another multilevel parking garage near the stadium? 

Parking isn't an issue. We even have a multilevel garage that anchors the current sports complex. 

As far as the monorail is concerned, someone has to pay for it.  You're looking at probably half a billion dollars to run the rail down Bay Street to get to the stadium. 

Having been to other cities to see how they handle getting fans to and from the stadium, I think Jacksonville actually does it better than most in the league.  I believe the city would be resistant to move the stadium to the outskirts of town, especially when the sports complex is a critical part of their downtown development plan.  That entire Bay Street corridor from the Landing to the stadium is all part of that long-term vision.  There will come a time when a new stadium is going to have to become part of the conversation, but I think we've got a long time before we need to start worrying about that. 

Regarding the extension of the lease, I don't think it's necessary.  Not now anyway.  If I'm Shad Khan, I'm looking at a very favorable arrangement with the city of Jacksonville as the current lease is written and I don't want to touch it until it's absolutely necessary.  That conversation can start 5 years from now as they start to discuss the vision for a new stadium or massive renovations to the existing facility (more likely option). 

If we're having to rely on the lease to provide assurances the team isn't going to leave Jacksonville, we're already coming at it from the wrong approach.  There are other ways to assure the team isn't going anywhere.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I'm for a multi-million dollar stadium "upgrade" on the condition Shad Khan agrees that the lease on Jacksonville's Municipal Stadium by the Jaguars is extended for twenty or more years.

The original lease is due to expire in ten or eleven years, but the NFL is currently experimenting on termination.

The city and the Jaguars' owner can go farther in developing a strong bond by examining public lands, particularly along I-95 north or south of town, which might be made available to the Jaguars to own or long-term lease or even swap under the terms of the current lease.

This would allow the Jaguars to move the practice fields to a more secluded, less urban area making way for a multi-level parking garage next to the stadium with a cross-over to the skirt of the stadium.

Additionally, a monorail platform could be blended in with the idea that the downtown monorail tracks will eventually extend to the stadium as part of the huge northeast Florida transportation transformation in our future.

Winning isn't the only thing holding folks around town back. Many don't want to invest so much of themselves into a football franchise constantly rumored to be leaving Jacksonville.

A lease extension and broader vision for the future is really needed. (pun intended)

The monorail should have been going to the stadium from the beginning. A drop off at right at the landing would nice too and would probably help revive the place.

Quote:The monorail should have been going to the stadium from the beginning. A drop off at right at the landing would nice too and would probably help revive the place.
It should have been part of the original plan, just as it should have been run right to the Landing, and all along Bay Street.  Instead, the original leg, which cost over $115 million went from the Convention Center to the Omni.  When it was expanded, it conveniently went right through First Baptist as the city just happened to put a bus hub across the street. 

They added the Kings Street Garage and ran it across the river.  That expansion was nearly $400 million for all of the construction done over a decade ago.  At that time, they had to redo the original leg because nothing was compatible. 

Today, the Kings Street Garage continues to be heavily underutilized, as does the use of the Skyway itself.  There was no real thought put into trying to use it to get all over downtown.  If they were to expand it now, based on the fact that the current technology is probably obsolete, you're looking at at least $500 million to expand and to re-do the existing lines. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Monorails are expensive. I doubt you will ever see the Skyway extended beyond it's current locations. The only exception might be down Riverside Avenue where JTA owns the right of way and there is already a maintenance depot. But even that is doubtful. More likely would be a streetcar. Something similar to what is being built in Atlanta. But even that would be unlikely to reach out the sports complex for a while.

;

;

Quote:It should have been part of the original plan, just as it should have been run right to the Landing, and all along Bay Street.  Instead, the original leg, which cost over $115 million went from the Convention Center to the Omni.  When it was expanded, it conveniently went right through First Baptist as the city just happened to put a bus hub across the street. 

They added the Kings Street Garage and ran it across the river.  That expansion was nearly $400 million for all of the construction done over a decade ago.  At that time, they had to redo the original leg because nothing was compatible. 

Today, the Kings Street Garage continues to be heavily underutilized, as does the use of the Skyway itself.  There was no real thought put into trying to use it to get all over downtown.  If they were to expand it now, based on the fact that the current technology is probably obsolete, you're looking at at least $500 million to expand and to re-do the existing lines. 

It is truly a shame that they missed the mark from the very beginning. Gotta wonder what they were thinking.

Quote:It is truly a shame that they missed the mark from the very beginning. Gotta wonder what they were thinking.
Can't go into the politics of it, but suffice to say there were quite a few favors being rewarded with that project.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

How about this one.....

The City can focus on marketing to outside regions and Shad can start spend some money on players and start winning.

Quote:How about this one.....

The City can focus on marketing to outside regions and Shad can start spend some money on players and start winning.

Wow, hot take.

;

;

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Can't go into the politics of it, but suffice to say there were quite a few favors being rewarded with that project.

I don't think it is a stretch to say more than one fortune, as well as at least one political career, was made on the Skyway project.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I don't think it is a stretch to say more than one fortune, as well as at least one political career, was made on the Skyway project.
And all for what?  A train that doesn't go anywhere anyone is interested in being?  Tax dollars well spent. 

The original plan should have taken into account the sports complex.  It didn't, and now that's off the table.  They're not going to expand that service beyond what it is today.  I think they've got sufficient transport options to get fans to and from the stadium without having to spend a billion on rail and new garages.  Like I said earlier, we don't have a parking problem.  And compared to other cities, we don't have a logistical problem in getting people to and from the stadium efficiently.  I think that, for a stadium in the downtown area, we probably have one of the more accessible facilities in the league.  If we ever build a new stadium, and it's city funded, it should go in the same general vicinity to where it resides currently. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he built and offsite practice complex, but beyond that I think you can forget about it. There is no reason for Shad or anyone else you mentioned to do any of those other things.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->

Our lease length is in a great place. The "LA" market will be all worked out by the time we have anything to worry about.  Buy tickets and keep team.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote: 

Having been to other cities to see how they handle getting fans to and from the stadium, I think Jacksonville actually does it better than most in the league.  I believe the city would be resistant to move the stadium to the outskirts of town, especially when the sports complex is a critical part of their downtown development plan.  That entire Bay Street corridor from the Landing to the stadium is all part of that long-term vision.  There will come a time when a new stadium is going to have to become part of the conversation, but I think we've got a long time before we need to start worrying about that. 

I'm not too sure about that.

Everbank is approaching 20 years old.

Typical stadium shelf life is about 30 years.

The Astrodome was built in the 1970s.  By the mid 1990s it was obsolete.

The TWA dome (St. Louis) was completed circa 1997.  The Rams aready want a new stadium.

The Georgia Dome was completed circa 1992.  They are already talking a new stadium in Atlanta.

The meadowlands was completed in the mid to late 1970s.  It was replaced a couple of years ago.

Tampa stadium opened 1975 or so.  Raymond James stadium replaced it in the late 1990s-early 2000s.

We keep upgrading the stadium, which is a good thing.

But upgrades will only take it so far.

We can't afford to wait until the last minute to ensure we have a new stadium in place, or at least have plans for major renovations.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

The city and team have done a great job of constantly upgrading Everbank Field. The Super Bowl upgrades (The Bud Zone, terrace suites, escalators) helped keep the stadium up to date with those built years after Everbank. The two domes could not be upgraded in such a manner.

Weaver and the city have said in the past that their vision of Everbank Field was to be similar to Arrowhead Stadium. Not sure Khan has the same vision but these NEZ upgrades and new scoreboards are just more addiitions to keep the stadium modernized.

;

;

Khan isn't going to agree to another twenty years on the lease of a stadium that will most likely need truly MAJOR renovations when the current lease expires.

Bombardier is supposed to have systems that cost about $13 million per mile. 

We need them. They can hook us up with a few Mark VIIIs that will turn a few heads.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Getting out of the city on gameday is ridiculous. I've been in Tailgaters lot for 17 seasons and they route you north bound on MLK regardless of where you want to go.

We left the parking lot after the Fl/Ga game at 8:20 pm. This is roughly 2 hours after the game was over. We wanted to go south on 95 but they routed us north. We ended up going to 8th street in bumper to bumper to turn around to get to Main Street Bridge. We were at the bridge at 9:17pm. An hour to get 1 mile from the stadium going in the direction we needed to go.

I suppose the intent is to get the cars out of the stadium parking vicinity in ANY direction, regardless of need, and then let the public zig zag through the streets until they find their route.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Quote:I'm for a multi-million dollar stadium "upgrade" on the condition Shad Khan agrees that the lease on Jacksonville's Municipal Stadium by the Jaguars is extended for twenty or more years.

Love the monorail idea and especially the thought of extending an iron clad lease with even more teeth.

As far as a new stadium that does excite me but I foresee us evolving Jax Municipal into a Lambeau type facility given fiscal limitations. If we are dreaming, a retractable roof venue on the river to attract NCAA championships, Super Bowls, internatioinal soccer etc. would be fantastic. Make no mistake Everbank is a world class facility and getting better.

I have not heard of the NFL experimenting with lease terminations. Could you please expound on that comment or provide source?

I would be interested in Mr Lampings take on our current stadium.

of course comparing ours to one just built to house TWO NFL teams in a multi-million population market

might be a little difficult but I know this. We have a nice, clean well run stadium that doesn't take a back seat to any others except the most recently built billion dollar plus ones.

Khan spent bundles on the team locker rooms and facilities.

We just need a team that can WIN!

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson