Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: If Caldwell is fairly confident that Winston is much better than Bridgewater should the Jags draft a different position and tank another season for Jameis?
Yes, long-term dominance is worth another season like this.
No, we can't field such a depressing team two seasons in a row.
Draft Bridgewater this year, but still tank the season for Winston.
Blank #2
[Show Results]

How long should the Jags tank for the future?

Quote:I have no interest in being a fan of any team that puts out anything less than it's best effort to win every game it plays.

Well said. Who would want to watch 22 Aaron Ross' out there? Ugh...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I've read in several places that Jameis Winston is a sure-fire #1 pick and bigger, faster,
smarter
, stronger-armed than Teddy Bridgewater.

Maybe Winston isn't that good. But that argument is not under consideration here. Assume for this argument that he is. Wouldn't the Jags be better off long-term getting the #1 pick in 2015 and using it on Winston? Wouldn't Carolina have been better off not drafting Cam Newton and getting Andrew Luck in 2012?
I want to take the time out to appreciate this one.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2014, 01:17 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I want to take the time out to appreciate this one.

Well that was said pre crab pilfering,....

It defies belief that anyone could even ask such a ridiculous question given how, for example, Teddy Bridgewater's draft status has changed just over the last few months. He's gone from a near-guaranteed first pick overall (remember the 'tank for Teddy' talk?) to someone who may be waiting into the second round to hear his name called. The status of players changes over time.

You don't tank a year in advance for a player who may or may not turn out to even be worth taking - may or may not even be there to take. You build your roster as well as you can with the draft picks you have, and through the offseason, and if that doesn't work out you use the high picks to improve the team further next year.

Quote:I have no interest in being a fan of any team that puts out anything less than it's best effort to win every game it plays.

NFL teams don't tank. Everybody likes to point to Indy but what good did "tanking" do when everybody (Bill Polian, Brian Polian, Jim Caldwell, etc) got fired?

And anybody that says Houston tanked either does not watch much NFL football or is just trying to bait people.

Teams do not tank for the first pick. Their teams are just that awful.

Winston has more character issues that Manzeil. Why wait for a Raping, Lying, Thief?

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Winston has more character issues that Manzeil. Why wait for a Raping, Lying, Thief?
Did he rape someone? This is news to me

Quote:Don't tell the diva that. He's convinced Houston paid Kubiak a bonus to tank so they could get Bridgewater.
lolz that is the most ridicoulus thing I've ever heard.

Quote:Not from anyone who knew what was going on. With Blaine Gabbert as your QB the ceiling is 3-13. Next year we will have Teddy and a serviceable cast around him. I bet we have a winning record.

I will bet we don't...

Quote:Did he rape someone? This is news to me
Yup.  Publix.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I want to take the time out to appreciate this one.
lolzx2 it's amazing what people believe.. Did he really say the Panthers should have tanked for Andrew Luck and not have drafted Cam Newton?

Quote:Yup. Publix.
I did the same with Winn-Dixie. I mean um uh its a nice day outside

Depressing season for 2 years in a row?  It's been depressing since 2007.

Quote:Depressing season for 2 years in a row? It's been depressing since 2007.
no kidding huh... That will make it that much sweeter when we start winning.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2014, 02:53 PM by rexjagfsu.)

Like a previous poster stated, "keep picking one until you find him." It is in my opinion that Winston, like Andrew Luck was, as close as you can get to being certain he will be a NFL "Franchise" QB.

But any player taken in the draft, especially the QB position, is a crapshoot and absolutely impossible to determine a players success for your franchise, even Luck was not a guarantee.

But with that said, the importance of having aN elite QB in the game today is vital for a teams long-term success, while also being the quickest way to achieve to turn a team into a playoff contender, and more importantly, resulting in job security for a franchises front office. It is without a doubt that for team's w/out a franchise QB, acquiring a QB that is, or believed has the best opportunity to be elite, is a GM's #1 priority, or at least it should be.

That's why multiple QBs are always picked in the first rd, usually within the top 10 picks, teams like Denver took a chance on Manning and the Colts picking Luck, Carolina picking QB in the 1st rd 2 yrs in a row, are just some examples why it is hard to compare how a teams draft strategy is now, then when Troy Aikmen was drafted. During that time the NFL was a different game, a time when multiple rbs would be taken in the 1st rd. This years draft may not have 1 rb selected in the 1st rd. the game has evolved in which the QB has become the position worth the highest value.

While I believe Winston, is the surest bet to become elite since Luck, a GM would be a fool not to acknowledge the number of elite qbs in the league now that was not predicted to be so prior to being drafted. The only certainty there is, is the acceptance of no certainty for a qbs success, and yet the importance of having an elite QB shouldn't be disregarded, so the idea should be to keep picking one until you find one that is elite.

Pick a QB this season, if the team win record results in a top 5 pick, the gm hopefully has the foresight to acknowledge the QBs chances of being elite are slim, and can have the confidence to select Winston in that draft. Or the other possible scenario is the team winning enough games to not draft high, and if that is the case then the QB picked in this years draft would had play a key role in that.

Dave pulled 30 or so draft prospects off his draft board for character concerns. In the espn.com pre draft video, the reporter mention this in detailed that was covering the JAGS. With that being said, I presumed Jameis would be on that list next year-(especially if he does something again). But it also made me think about who is on the DO NOT TOUCH LIST this yr. 

Lets hope for a good 1st round.  I also hope to never

A. Here about tanking again on this board

and

B. Especially covet a player 6 months before the draft.  (tanking for teddy Sick )

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Lets hope for a good 1st round.  I also hope to never

A. Here about tanking again on this board

and

B. Especially covet a player 6 months before the draft.  (tanking for teddy Sick )

Good luck with that.  If this team starts out 0-2 next season, the same suspects will be starting it up.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:As I said in the other thread, for those who were the biggest advocates for tanking, quitting is a lifestyle choice.

Anyone with a shred of integrity doesn't intentionally lose, or even suggest such things.

I've been around and have read this message board for several years.  This has to be one of the best quotes that I've ever seen.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.