Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can Ohio State ever be #2 this season?

Quote:Actually Northwestern was ranked #13 at the time, so if you want to talk about LSU, the current BCS #13, Ohio State belongs in the discussion.

Although the Nittany Lions are not ranked, they came into Ohio Stadium with a winning record (4-2), so you can't really say they suck either.
NW is now a 500 team now that they stopped playing cupcakes...when the you can talk about is hosting a 4-2 big ten team as a rough go  it proves the point that OSU spends the year playing cupcakes and hopes that the teams that play against real live opposition lose......OSU deserves to be disappointed...but does deserve to be in the top 7 ..maybe not in the top 10 because of strength of schedule!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Some say this is the perfect year for a playoff. It is if your Bama, Oregon and FSU, but Ohio St., is not a top 5 team in my opinion. They don't pass the eye test. The Big 10/11/12 is not very good.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I think some of you are letting you bias get in the way.  While I don't think Ohio State would beat any of the top 3 teams they are not as far off as a lot of you seem to think.  They started the year a bit banged up.  Yes there were some close games early on but right now they are healthy and hitting on all cylinders.  Yes the competition in the Big 10 is down this year but it does not diminish that they are a very good football team.  

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:I think some of you are letting you bias get in the way.  While I don't think Ohio State would beat any of the top 3 teams they are not as far off as a lot of you seem to think.  They started the year a bit banged up.  Yes there were some close games early on but right now they are healthy and hitting on all cylinders.  Yes the competition in the Big 10 is down this year but it does not diminish that they are a very good football team.  
How can you tell if they are "a good team" and "hitting on all cylinders" they play the weakest schedule of any top  15 team.......the only undefeated team with a weaker schedule is NIU. OSU just does not deserve to be in the NC discussion. 

Quote:How can you tell if they are "a good team" and "hitting on all cylinders" they play the weakest schedule of any top  15 team.......the only undefeated team with a weaker schedule is NIU. OSU just does not deserve to be in the NC discussion. 
If FSU, Alabama or Oregon played the same schedule as Ohio State would they be worthy of being in the NC discussion?  Would the schedule diminish the quality of the team?  Again, I think the current ranking is correct and if all four teams are still undefeated at the end of the year OSU will be outside looking in.  I would love to see Alabama - FSU for the NC and Oregon - Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

SOS is what it is, I'm a huge Baylor fan, even if we win out there is no chance of us sniffing the big game this year unless the planets align and it turns out my Mom was dead wrong on Santa and the Easter bunny not being real( side note I'm 40 and still holding out hope on that), if Ala and Ore go undefeated that's the NC game, and OSU, FSU and my beloved Bears will be the little kids with their nose pressed against the glass watching from their respective Who Cares Bowl game
A good loser is a good loser

Quote:If FSU, Alabama or Oregon played the same schedule as Ohio State would they be worthy of being in the NC discussion?  Would the schedule diminish the quality of the team?  Again, I think the current ranking is correct and if all four teams are still undefeated at the end of the year OSU will be outside looking in.  I would love to see Alabama - FSU for the NC and Oregon - Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.
 What I am saying is with a weak out of conference schedule and their conference being so weak there is no way to accurately measure teh quality of the team. When you intentionally avoid the teams from a BCS conference in your non-conference schedule you make it easier for people to be dismissive of your team.  We will not have any idea how good OSU is until they play a real team in a bowl game...way to late for OSU at that point.

By the way could someone explain how the tree is number 5, didn't they lose to Utah
A good loser is a good loser

Quote: What I am saying is with a weak out of conference schedule and their conference being so weak there is no way to accurately measure teh quality of the team. When you intentionally avoid the teams from a BCS conference in your non-conference schedule you make it easier for people to be dismissive of your team.  We will not have any idea how good OSU is until they play a real team in a bowl game...way to late for OSU at that point.
Intentionally avoided?  Is Cal not in the Big 12?  The FAMU game was an 11th hour change due to Vanderbilt dropping them from the schedule.  San Diego State and Buffalo while not world beaters are pretty decent teams for mid-majors.  I agree out of conference scheduling is weak for every conference.  All of these football factories want home games to fund the program and the fans get short changed with crappy games.  With that said, when the fans continue to pack a stadium to watch Florida play Ga Southern, or Alabama play Ga State why should the Universities change?

I don't think Ohio St. could beat anyone in the top 10.

Quote:Intentionally avoided?  Is Cal not in the Big 12?  The FAMU game was an 11th hour change due to Vanderbilt dropping them from the schedule.  San Diego State and Buffalo while not world beaters are pretty decent teams for mid-majors.  I agree out of conference scheduling is weak for every conference.  All of these football factories want home games to fund the program and the fans get short changed with crappy games.  With that said, when the fans continue to pack a stadium to watch Florida play Ga Southern, or Alabama play Ga State why should the Universities change?
Buffalo lost by 57 to Baylor, SDSU is 4-4 in the Mountain West, Cal is 1-8,,,,so not exactly a power pre-conference schedule even given the FAMU game as a mulligan. Bama tries to play one real team pre-conference , FSU play UF (who is normally a decent team)....I will give it to OSU under Tressell they manned up and played Texas and a few others...lately cup cake city!!!

Quote:If FSU, Alabama or Oregon played the same schedule as Ohio State would they be worthy of being in the NC discussion?  Would the schedule diminish the quality of the team?  Again, I think the current ranking is correct and if all four teams are still undefeated at the end of the year OSU will be outside looking in.  I would love to see Alabama - FSU for the NC and Oregon - Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.

Finally somebody gets it. Until you actually see Ohio State get manhandled by Alabama, FSU, and Oregon, you have no idea that game would be a blowout. Sure, I would expect to lose such a game, but Copycat is right that the naysayers are blinlded by anti-Buckeyes bias or being FSU fans.

Isn't the NCG in Pasadena this year? If so, I can say regardless of what Ohio State's ranking is after the BTCG, the Buckeyes are going to Pasadena.

Quote: What I am saying is with a weak out of conference schedule and their conference being so weak there is no way to accurately measure teh quality of the team. When you intentionally avoid the teams from a BCS conference in your non-conference schedule you make it easier for people to be dismissive of your team.  We will not have any idea how good OSU is until they play a real team in a bowl game...way to late for OSU at that point.

Two problems with the bolded statement:

1. Ohio State had a home and home series with California, which is in the Pacific 12.

2. Every team in every BCS conference plays against cupcakes in September. How is Ohio State any different?

Quote:By the way could someone explain how the tree is number 5, didn't they lose to Utah

Who said the tree is #5? The Buckeyes were #3 in one poll and #4 in the other every week. And what does Utah have to do with it?

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM by BigJohn98.)

Quote:Finally somebody gets it. Until you actually see Ohio State get manhandled by Alabama, FSU, and Oregon, you have no idea that game would be a blowout. Sure, I would expect to lose such a game, but Copycat is right that the naysayers are blinlded by anti-Buckeyes bias or being FSU fans.

Isn't the NCG in Pasadena this year? If so, I can say regardless of what Ohio State's ranking is after the BTCG, the Buckeyes are going to Pasadena.

Yes, we do know it would be a blowout. What has happened in the last two BCS National Championship games in which Ohio State has played a team from the South? Complete domination by Florida and LSU. They can not match up with the combination of size, speed, and strength that southern football teams possess. Alabama and Florida State would physically whip Ohio State. This Oregon team is not the same Oregon that Ohio State beat in the Rose Bowl a few years ago. Oregon has too much speed for Ohio State.

Quote:Two problems with the bolded statement:

1. Ohio State had a home and home series with California, which is in the Pacific 12.

2. Every team in every BCS conference plays against cupcakes in September. How is Ohio State any different?

Who said the tree is #5? The Buckeyes were #3 in one poll and #4 in the other every week. And what does Utah have to do with it?
Cal is 1-8 not so impressive...everyone does play SOME cupcakes not ALL cupcakes....especially with such a incredibly weak conference. If A SEC or ACC team played Indiana and Purdue should they thump their chest about a rough schedule because those two schools are in the Big 10?? SEC has 6 teams in the BCS top 15, The Big 12 has 3, ACC has 3, Pac 12 has 2....Big 10 just OSU and a team at 17 and 24...that and a weak schedule makes it hard to take OSU serious as a BCS finalist. I am not a OSU hater or a FSU fan...just someone with an opinion. 

Quote:Actually Northwestern was ranked #13 at the time, so if you want to talk about LSU, the current BCS #13, Ohio State belongs in the discussion.

Although the Nittany Lions are not ranked, they came into Ohio Stadium with a winning record (4-2), so you can't really say they suck either.
Penn State lost to UCF.

Quote:Penn State lost to UCF.
and NW is 4-4....anyone can be ranked if you play only easy games. When it comes to football the Big 10 is a good Basketball conference!

Quote:Intentionally avoided?  Is Cal not in the Big 12?  The FAMU game was an 11th hour change due to Vanderbilt dropping them from the schedule.  San Diego State and Buffalo while not world beaters are pretty decent teams for mid-majors.  I agree out of conference scheduling is weak for every conference.  All of these football factories want home games to fund the program and the fans get short changed with crappy games.  With that said, when the fans continue to pack a stadium to watch Florida play Ga Southern, or Alabama play Ga State why should the Universities change?

Urban tried to use the same formula he did while he was at UF....except he isnt in the SEC anymore.

I hope they ake the national title game.  They will get smoked by any of the 3.

True story here, Ohio St cancelled home and homes with Tennessee and Georgia but kept games with UNC and Oklahoma.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Cal is 1-8 not so impressive...everyone does play SOME cupcakes not ALL cupcakes....especially with such a incredibly weak conference. If a SEC or ACC team played Indiana and Purdue should they thump their chest about a rough schedule because those two schools are in the Big 10? SEC has 6 teams in the BCS top 15, The Big 12 has 3, ACC has 3, Pac 12 has 2....Big 10 just OSU and a team at 17 and 24...that and a weak schedule makes it hard to take OSU serious as a BCS finalist. I am not a OSU hater or a FSU fan...just someone with an opinion. 

I was simply rebutting the statement that OSU avoids OOC BCS teams, not saying UC-Berkley is a good team. Somebody thought the Buckeyes avoid BCS conferences - which, taken literally, is not true when you count UCB.

Quote:True story here, Ohio St canceled home and homes with Tennessee and Georgia but kept games with UNC and Oklahoma.

Tennessee is not good at all. Oklahoma is decent. What is your point?