Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1st Rd Picks

All in one season.

2009: Monroe traded for ham sandwich

2010: Alooaloo no longer a DT

2011: Gabbert no longer a QB

2012: Blackmon suspended for season

2013: Joeckel injured for season

Does it really take the 1st overall pick to make a hit? Is it supposed to be this hard?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:All in one season.

2009: Monroe traded for ham sandwich

2010: Alooaloo no longer a DT

2011: Gabbert no longer a QB

2012: Blackmon suspended for season

2013: Joeckel injured for season

Does it really take the 1st overall pick to make a hit? Is it supposed to be this hard?
Not even close. The Jaguars have been one of the worst drafters in NFL history the past 10 years.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Well at least the ham sandwich won't get scared in the pocket.

The Jaguars have been horrible first-round drafters since 2004. I'll give them Leftwich, because he was actually playing solid football when he was on the field. I'll also give them Monroe, who was a solid LT while he was here, and Joeckel, because it's hard to write off a rookie who was playing out of position and then got hurt.

But, yeah, aside from those three guys, this team has done virtually nothing with its first-round picks since the Tom Coughlin era, which probably goes a long way towards explaining why the Jaguars have gone from consistently mediocre to awful.

I look back and the way the team has drafted since 2008 and wondered if you could even be that bad on purpose.

;

;

Most likely, the 1st round draft in 2014 will be a bust too. No rookie QB would flourish in the current franchise.

Do you think the league will give us the whole first round to rebuild our team....

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Coughlin was always pretty good with his 1st rounders.

No current player that has any sort of talent will want to re-sign with this team. We are in what is known as a death spiral and there is no coming back, some of us can see it while others want to drink that kool-aid and think things will turn around.

Sit back and watch those "big splashes" we make in FA this year; gonna end up over-paying for average talent while being fed a line of crap about how we are going to be competitive next year. Khan will come up with some new catch phrase to sucker us into purchasing season tickets. 

Quote:Coughlin was always pretty good with his 1st rounders.

He was. His second rounder were about 50/50. But his picks third rounder on were bad.

;

;

While I agree about the death spiral, eventually you have to rebound.  You can't possibly be bad forever, right?  I mean the Browns, Raiders, Cardinals, etc. have turned it around, right?

Quote:While I agree about the death spiral, eventually you have to rebound.  You can't possibly be bad forever, right?  I mean the Browns, Raiders, Cardinals, etc. have turned it around, right?

Check the Saints before Brees got there.

;

;

I will say this, at least the last 2 1st Rd picks had talent. The previous picks were big reaches (Monroe was decent). The injury to Joekel was something that just happens. Nothing he was responsible for. If this team had better O-line talent, it might not have happened.

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:I look back and the way the team has drafted since 2008 and wondered if you could even be that bad on purpose.

You mean 2004?  Guys, the answer is simple, our team is terrible because our drafters have been atrocious.  Where is Gene Smith right now?  Even Shack Harris got picked up in the league.  

Gene's Myth

Teddy Bruschi: "The Jags are a black eye in this league from a character and a competition standpoint."

I don't really agree with the character part...Blackmon is the only guy who has gotten into trouble and even then it's for self-damaging behavior. There are guys who get away with much worse but aren't suspended just because it isn't drugs. But I do agree that the Jags are a black eye for the league from a competition standpoint. What a complete joke of a product that they've put out on the field for the past handful of years. 

Quote:Teddy Bruschi: "The Jags are a black eye in this league from a character and a competition standpoint."

LOL.  Says the guy who still does PR for a team that just released a MURDERER. 

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 02:43 PM by tmlrocks27.)

Jags haven't had a respectable 1st round pick since 2002 in Big John. Leftwich wasn't anything special, williams was bad, jones...LOL, lewis has talent but can't stay healthy, nelson got traded, harvey....lolll, monroe got traded, alualu sucks, gabbert...by far the worst, blackmon has amazing talent but can't stay clean, joeckel got hurt(hopefully will be good though). Even going back to the twin towers, they were only good up until like 2007. I said it to my friend before, jags should just always trade out of the first round, they draft a lot better outside of the 1st.

Quote:Jags haven't had a respectable 1st round pick since 2002 in Big John. Leftwich wasn't anything special, williams was bad, jones...LOL, lewis has talent but can't stay healthy, nelson got traded, harvey....lolll, monroe got traded, alualu sucks, gabbert...by far the worst, blackmon has amazing talent but can't stay clean, joeckel got hurt(hopefully will be good though). Even going back to the twin towers, they were only good up until like 2007. I said it to my friend before, jags should just always trade out of the first round, they draft a lot better outside of the 1st.
The only way to overcome failure is to keep trying.. We can't trade out of the first round because of past failures. That's waiving the white flag on the draft in my opinion. Too many great options with potential in the first round.. Gotta keep plugging away and hope for the best..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I hope that Joeckel ends up being the pick that turns the tide - and I think he will.   If Caldwell can follow that up with a franchise QB  in 2014 -  this conversation changes radically. 

Quote:The only way to overcome failure is to keep trying.. We can't trade out of the first round because of past failures. That's waiving the white flag on the draft in my opinion. Too many great options with potential in the first round.. Gotta keep plugging away and hope for the best..
I know I was just kidding, I may be in the minority but I do like the direction we are going, even though this season is a miserable one.