Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1st Rd Picks

Quote:Teddy Bruschi: "The Jags are a black eye in this league from a character and a competition standpoint."

Probably the most ironic thing I've ever heard coming from a guy who was tight-lipped on his team that was caught cheating.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Coughlin was always pretty good with his 1st rounders.

To a certain extent he was just lucky. He tried to trade for Enis and got Fred Taylor as a consolation prize. He had Kenyatta Walker rated ahead of Stroud, but changed his mind at the last minute (although we needed an OT more than a DT). The same with Henderson vs. Haynesworth.

Soward was a disaster.

Wynn was a mediocre DL at best.

Hardy was a reach at #2.

Bryant was a very good corner until the league figured out that he had no ball sense and couldn't defend against a pass even though his coverage was very tight.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I firmly believe Caldwell will have success in future drafts and he better after all his "build through the draft" speeches. I think his draft this year was a success, though it was not hard to find starters/future starters for this team. Luke's injury could have happened to anyone, just wrong place wrong time. Cyp looks like he can be something special, he just needs time to adjust. Grats so far is reminding me of Cox. Here's hoping that he stays healthy. I believe at the start of the 2015 season we will be content and excited with the team we field. He even said that it would take time. Lord knows we are due for a good GM, but If he takes a punter in the 3rd..I'm out.
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Bad picks leads to bad teams.  I'm not knocking them for Joeckel getting injured.  He's a talented lineman and should be great in the long run.   Besides him, most 1st round picks in Jacksonville have been wash outs.  If they had drafted well during the past five years then they would probably have a much better team.

Quote:Bad picks leads to bad teams.  I'm not knocking them for Joeckel getting injured.  He's a talented lineman and should be great in the long run.   Besides him, most 1st round picks in Jacksonville have been wash outs.  If they had drafted well during the past five years then they would probably have a much better team.

Philosophical question:

What if Joeckel DOESN'T come back from his injury, or if he comes back but can't perform at the level he was capable of before his injury? Does that make him a bust? Would we even know if it was injury that limited his play vs. him just never being as good as advertised?

What makes a player a bust? Derrick Harvey and Gabbert were never any good, so they'd definitely be busts. Leftwich, and maybe Alualu were good players until injured. Were they busts? Nelson dropped off after a good rookie season, yet thrives in Cincy. Was he a bust? Reggie Williams, Mattloaf, and Soward developed drug problems after they arrived (maybe Soward already had one). Were they busts? Does the coaching staff get any blame for such a failure?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Check the Saints before Brees got there.

Naahh,, the Saints were terrible for quite a while. But, they were actually improving before Brees got there.

They made the playoffs, and were pretty competitive with Aaron Brooks and that crew for while. Jim Mora had them playing decent too when he was their coach. They made the playoffs with Bobby Hebert.

Of course, they did have a pretty bad lull during the Ditka years. But, they had already discarded the 'Aints days before Brees.

Looking at that does hurt...But hoping Luke will be good still, He didnt get to finish one season so i cant call bust or anything on that. I still believe Blackmon is good if only he can help himself become a better person.

Quote:Check the Saints before Brees got there.

Jumping ahead here...  But I wonder if the Saints would also like to thank thier HC...  Not for nuthin' but didn't Brees play last season? 

Quote:The Jaguars have been horrible first-round drafters since 2004. I'll give them Leftwich, because he was actually playing solid football when he was on the field. I'll also give them Monroe, who was a solid LT while he was here, and Joeckel, because it's hard to write off a rookie who was playing out of position and then got hurt.

But, yeah, aside from those three guys, this team has done virtually nothing with its first-round picks since the Tom Coughlin era, which probably goes a long way towards explaining why the Jaguars have gone from consistently mediocre to awful.
Leftwich was no good.  He was never a long-term starter anywhere else in the NFL.

Monroe was just above average.  He was never a Pro-Bowler and should have been for his draft position and still gave up too many easy sacks after all of these years.

Shack Harris was horrible, Gene Smiff was horrible, and we won't know on Caldwell for about 3 years...#frustration

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 11:14 AM by ukjag34.)

DOUBLE POST LIKE A NUMBNUTS

There are do many ifs to this franchise at the mo

If Blackman gets clean

If joeckel can stay healthy

If cyprien develops

If we get teddy

But I could forgive all the bull this year if we could just best the tacks

Quote:All in one season.

2009: Monroe traded for ham sandwich

2010: Alooaloo no longer a DT

2011: Gabbert no longer a QB

2012: Blackmon suspended for season

2013: Joeckel injured for season

Does it really take the 1st overall pick to make a hit? Is it supposed to be this hard?

That sums it up !!!

Quote:Jumping ahead here...  But I wonder if the Saints would also like to thank thier HC...  Not for nuthin' but didn't Brees play last season? 
Bree's played as well as anybody last year, their defense was historically bad.. 

Quote:Philosophical question:

What if Joeckel DOESN'T come back from his injury, or if he comes back but can't perform at the level he was capable of before his injury? Does that make him a bust? Would we even know if it was injury that limited his play vs. him just never being as good as advertised?

What makes a player a bust? Derrick Harvey and Gabbert were never any good, so they'd definitely be busts. Leftwich, and maybe Alualu were good players until injured. Were they busts? Nelson dropped off after a good rookie season, yet thrives in Cincy. Was he a bust? Reggie Williams, Mattloaf, and Soward developed drug problems after they arrived (maybe Soward already had one). Were they busts? Does the coaching staff get any blame for such a failure?

This is a really interesting question and I've gone back and forth on it several times with no real progress.  There just isn't a large enough body of work at left tackle to definitively answer this.  As Jaguar fans our only option is to hope that he returns from injury to be a dominant component of the O-Line.  He seemed to keep the Rams DEs in check for the short time he was in there but Bradfield didn't look horrendous either.

Williams, Jones, Soward, and Harvey were all busts no matter how you look at them.  Of these four I the only one I MIGHT put any blame on the coaching staff for is Jones.  Jones showed flashes at times and made some incredible catches but also had a penchant for dropping the wide open gimmes.  Of the group he was the only real one who showed potential.  Could this potential be unlocked with better coaching?  Unfortunately we'll never know the answer to this because of his life choices.

Alualu is a little trickier.  Based on where the Jaguars assessed his value, he is a bust.  I'm not sure he would have been a bust if he was taken where most of the rest of the league surely felt he should have been taken.  I'd really be curious to see what he may have looked like with a better supporting cast around him.

I don't tend to believe Leftwich was a bust.  Rather, I think the NFL has evolved over time to become more of a passing league.  It seems like most other teams have passers that are capable of putting up big numbers.  Considering when Leftwich was drafted and comparing him to QBs of his era I can't call him a bust.  Sure, he had that long quirky ball release but he wasn't hopeless (like the current crew).

Quote:Philosophical question:

I don't think so. For instance, nobody ever called Michael Cheever a bust.

'02

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2013, 04:48 AM by Jungle Cat.)

Career-ending injury is really the only misfortune that is generally recognized as not a bust. Look at the short career of Greg Cook. However, if the injury was per-existing and the NFL shared the medical information prior to a team drafting the medical red flagged player, then it can be looked upon as a draft bust.

There aren't a lot of exceptions.

What makes a player a bust?

Every draft pick carries a certain value.

First Round - A player that will be an immediate franchise starter and firmly exhibits the characteristics of All-Pro play at his position. A perennial Pro Bowl candidate. Top ten have almost-certain Hall of Fame talent. The attributes are superior health, amazing athleticism, high character, and A-plus leadership ability. The NFL life-expectancy of a first round pick is ten plus years of consistent, superior play.

Second Round - Very high quality football player. Must possess no flaws in character or talent. Usually more capable of starting at his position than at least 50 to 75% of the players already playing the position on the roster. In deeper draft classes, first round candidates can spill over to the top ten to fifteen draft slots. An odds-on player to become an immediate starter with positive impact and a 60-75% chance of making a Pro Bowl at some point in a eight to ten-plus year career.

Third Round - A very good football player with a 40 to 60% chance of becoming a starter and a modest chance of making a Pro Bowl at some point in his career. Must grade extremely well and possess exceptionally fine talent. Must not have any serious flaws in talent or athleticism. Expected to provide immediate depth at position with modest potential to start relatively soon. Generally, an NFL life-expectancy of about five to eight years of fine play is anticipated.

Fourth Round - A good football player with above-average pro potential and solid, reliable talent. A sure competitor for a roster spot. A 30 to 50% chance of eventually becoming a starter within two to three years on teams with good depth. A career estimate is around 3 to 6 years.

Fifth Round - A good, talented football player that may not have a well-round game, but can play at the pro level. A fifth round pick is one that odds-on can make the roster, provide good, steady service as a depth player for the team and can compete for a prominent role.

Beyond this no team is going to be judged critically.

HTH

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:To a certain extent he was just lucky. He tried to trade for Enis and got Fred Taylor as a consolation prize. He had Kenyatta Walker rated ahead of Stroud, but changed his mind at the last minute (although we needed an OT more than a DT). The same with Henderson vs. Haynesworth.

Soward was a disaster.

Wynn was a mediocre DL at best.

Hardy was a reach at #2.

Bryant was a very good corner until the league figured out that he had no ball sense and couldn't defend against a pass even though his coverage was very tight.
Soward was the first draft pick pinned directly on the lapel of Gene Smith. He was named the director of college scouting and this was the first of many, many ridiculous Gene Smith glaring red flag picks. Don't blame Tom Coughlin for this one. It was Gene Smith manipulating the local media all the way. Just look at the string of R. Jay Soward's we got AFTER Tom was gone. 

Renaldo Wynn was hardly a mediocre defensive tackle. He played twelve years of veteran pro football. He was chopped down by the dirty, nasty Broncos with a blind-side cut block from behind and broke his leg. Renaldo came back and was named a team captain shortly after he signed with Washington and became an immediate starter for the Redskins. Twelve years is a lot for a so called mediocre defensive lineman.

Kevin Hardy was an exceptionally talented linebacker for Illinois. No one ever said he was a reach. Kevin and college team mate Simone Rice went two and three in the 1996 draft way ahead of some Ray Lewis guy from the Miami Hurricanes. Kevin was named to the NFL All-Rookie team. He had ten and a half sacks in 1999 to lead all AFC linebackers. He was a big part of the Tom Coughlin Jaguars' team that went to TWO AFC title games in the 1990s, including a 14-2 season and a PRO BOWL appearance for Kevin.

Kevin blew out his knee in 2001, but still signed a one year deal with Dallas. He moved on to Cincinnati where they experimented on him by moving him to middle linebacker.

Fernando Bryant (round 1, # 26) was a most appropriate pick for the bottom of the first round in 1999. 10 years in the NFL is nothing to sneeze at.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

What always baffled me was here we sit in the middle of southern football and shack and especially gene ignored it.

Other pro teams raided our southern schools. Not saying be down south only but, don't ignore it.

When we did draft down south we usually got burned....back to scouting again. meh....

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:I don't think so. For instance, nobody ever called Michael Cheever a bust.

Great analogy!

Being that Luke Joeckel didn't appear to have significant medical risk entering the NFL,    it would be a mistake to call him a draft bust if by chance he doesn't regain his pre-injury skills.    

Having said this,   by no means am I suggesting that Joeckel won't make a full recovery.

Quote:Soward was the first draft pick pinned directly on the lapel of Gene Smith. He was named the director of college scouting and this was the first of many, many ridiculous Gene Smith glaring red flag picks. Don't blame Tom Coughlin for this one. It was Gene Smith manipulating the local media all the way. Just look at the string of R. Jay Soward's we got AFTER Tom was gone. 

Soward was a TC pick all the way. Coughlin, a former WR coach who believed he could spot talent like Jimmy Smith, was enamored with RJ's speed. Coughlin, also a renown disciplinarian, also believed he could deal with RJ's off-the-field issues. I'm by no means have any intend to defend Gene Smith, but no way can you blame the Soward pick on him. The GM made the pick.

'02