Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Cecil Shorts doesn't go over 1,000 yards will you change your opinion?

Football is a team sport. Efforts to compartmentalize it via novelties such as fantasy football, etc. are futile and really odd-ball.

Who was the old baseball manager that demonstrated the relevance of statistics to a sportswriter?

The old man was talking to a young wide-eyed reporter who wanted to rattle off lots of statistics he had seen and memorized. To provide the young reporter with a little insight, the old man called his star over for a moment. He asked the ball player what his batting average was. He replied, " I dunno." He asked how many doubles he had so far. He replied, "I dunno." He asked how many home runs he'd hit so far. He replied, "I dunno."

The old man thanked his star ball player and as he trotted away from them the old man turned to the young, wide-eyed reporter and asked if he was satisfied.

1000 yards from Cecil Shorts is meaningless. It doesn't matter what the stats are. If the team suffers those milestones are irrelevant.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Football is a team sport. Efforts to compartmentalize it via novelties such as fantasy football, etc. are futile and really odd-ball.

Who was the old baseball manager that demonstrated the relevance of statistics to a sportswriter?

The old man was talking to a young wide-eyed reporter who wanted to rattle off lots of statistics he had seen and memorized. To provide the young reporter with a little insight, the old man called his star over for a moment. He asked the ball player what his batting average was. He replied, " I dunno." He asked how many doubles he had so far. He replied, "I dunno." He asked how many home runs he'd hit so far. He replied, "I dunno."

The old man thanked his star ball player and as he trotted away from them the old man turned to the young, wide-eyed reporter and asked if he was satisfied.

1000 yards from Cecil Shorts is meaningless. It doesn't matter what the stats are. If the team suffers those milestones are irrelevant.
Baseball is stupid.

I don't think 1000 yards is meaningless.  It means he was able to consistently put up decent numbers over the span of 1 year. 

If he plays 16 games, and doesn't get 1000 yards, what does that tell us?  That he couldn't get things done even when we are constantly behind and will be obviously throwing a lot? 

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

He's shown he can consistently put up the numbers.. whens the last time he didn't have at least 60 yards?

I really do not understand the negativity around a 4th round pick who has turned into one of our best if not our most consistent player

He fights on every snap and this season has faced alot of double coverage which only a small number of receivers reliably escape

Most of those receivers are older and all have a better QB situation than shorts

Against the niners he made 3 good catches surrounded by 2 or 3. He is a good receiver who has improved year by year give him a QB and a more expansive playbook than curl slant bubble and and he could be a plus 1k receiver easily for the rest of his career

Quote:I've always liked Cecil. He works hard and plays through injury consistently

Can't deny this... I too like Shorts.  I remember how down everyone was on him during his rookie year.  It gives hope in terms of player development

Quote:Can't deny this... I too like Shorts.  I remember how down everyone was on him during his rookie year.  It gives hope in terms of player development
Not negative about Shorts III. He does not appear to be the same pass catcher he was prior to his concussions, but he is battling to stay healthy. His play is not thrilling, but that may have more to do with who's throwing the footballs.

Not crazy about merely examining stats as a fundamental of evaluation. The most important stat for WR is catching the football like close to 100% of the time.

Between getting balls batted down at the line and horrible throws, the last thing we need are dropped passes...particularly ones that hit receivers directly in the hands.

Better teams have a lot less tolerance for dropped balls.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote:Baseball is stupid.
One thing about baseball is there aren't a lot of parlor tricks their league office can play in order to manipulate results.

As Willie Stargell once said, "They give you a round bat and a round ball, then tell you to 'hit it square'."

Quote:Not negative about Shorts III. He does not appear to be the same pass catcher he was prior to his concussions, but he is battling to stay healthy. His play is not thrilling, but that may have more to do with who's throwing the footballs.

Not crazy about merely examining stats as a fundamental of evaluation. The most important stat for WR is catching the football like close to 100% of the time.

Between getting balls batted down at the line and horrible throws, the last thing we need are dropped passes...particularly ones that hit receivers directly in the hands.

Better teams have a lot less tolerance for dropped balls.

You make points that I will concede to at this time.  Besides the concussions from last year, which I really don't think are the issue regarding his drops...  Hasn't he been injured with a bum shoulder for the last few weeks?  I'm wondering if that injury, forget exactly what the injury was, is effecting is production. 

I'm not defending him regarding the drops, but can't say I'm gonna be hyper critical of him either.  I think Bullseye mentioned he's on pace for 1100 yards or so.  Lets see how Shorts finises this season.  I for one am confident he'll be a stud for us, if he's healthy.  Again, as I said before, you can't deny his toughness.  Gotta like that about a WR...

I will evaluate Shorts when we have a quarterback. He is the victim of a team that lacks the talent to compete on a NFL Level. With Blackmon out he will be the focus of the defense in every game we play. Unless some one steps up He may fall short of a 1000 yards through no fault of his own.

He'll get to 999 yards and get a concussion. 

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM by Cleatwood.)

Quote:One thing about baseball is there aren't a lot of parlor tricks their league office can play in order to manipulate results.

As Willie Stargell once said, "They give you a round bat and a round ball, then tell you to 'hit it square'."
And that's why no one watches it anymore. Boring...

He'll be much better next year with a actually qb at the helm