Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Has There Been a Worse Non-Expansion NFL Team?

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM by rameyag.)

I've been an NFL fan for nearly 50 years and I can't think of a worse non-expansion team.

It will be a miracle if this woeful team wins a single game.

The 1976 Tampa Bay team was 0-14, but it was an expansion team.

The 1990 Patriots had the worst offense and second worst defense, but at least it won one game.

The 1991 Colts had the fewest points (143) and fewest TDs (14) in a 16-game season, but at least it won one game.

The closest I can recall is the 1980 Saints who were 1-15, but at least they had Archie Manning.

I know the 2008 Lions were winless, but some of their losing scores (12-10, 28-21, 25-17, 27-23, and 20-16) demonstrate they were at least competitive.

Not only are the Jags winless, but this team has lost games by scores of 28-2, 45-17, 37-3, 34-20, 35-19, 24-6, and 42-10.  Only the Raiders game was remotely competitive.

This team reminds me more and more of the 1980 Saints and it was only another 7 years until the Saints appeared in a playoff game and another 10 years before the Saints won a playoff game.

I hate to say this, but I can honestly see it taking this team other 7 years before it appears in the playoffs again and another decade before it wins a playoff game.

This team, folks, is that bad.

The best thing this team has going for it with respect to staying in Jacksonville is that I can't believe another city would want to inherit a team this bad.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well considering we have only won 5 playoff games in the history of our franchise, I might side with you on this one. But I do see us making playoffs in the next 3 years.

ok

Vegas has the 2008 Lions as about a 3 point favorite over us at a neutral field.  We're a part of something now guys, embrace this.  This is the worst team ever

Gene's Myth

Quote:Vegas has the 2008 Lions as about a 3 point favorite over us at a neutral field.  We're a part of something now guys, embrace this.  This is the worst team ever

Next week Vegas will have the 2013 Bolles team as a 1.5 favorite on a neutral field. This team blows.

[Image: BXsPnAECUAAFyXP.jpg]

TEST

Quote:I've been an NFL fan for nearly 50 years and I can't think of a worse non-expansion team.

There is no reason to think that. Future opponents include the Cardinals and Bills at home, both Texans and Titans games, and at the Browns. Only the Colts currently have a winning record. If you count the Texans and Titans twice and Colts once, the combined record of all remaining opponents is 25-34. Only the Cardinals break even at 4-4; the rest have losing records.

The 1990 Patriots had the worst offense and second worst defense, but at least it won one game.

The 1991 Colts had the fewest points (143) and fewest TDs (14) in a 16-game season, but at least it won one game.

The closest I can recall is the 1980 Saints who were 1-15, but at least they had Archie Manning.

I know the 2008 Lions were winless, but some of their losing scores (12-10, 28-21, 25-17, 27-23, and 20-16) demonstrate they were at least competitive.

Do your math. One win in a 16-game season means the team lost 15 games, more than the 0-14 Buccaneers.

So what if the Saints had Archie Manning? He was one of 53 players. Having him meant almost nothing if many of the other 52 were not very good.

You have to go by more than the final scores to determine if a team was competitive in the losses. Were some of those scores just bad luck? How good were their opponents?

Not only are the Jags winless, but this team has lost games by scores of 28-2, 45-17, 37-3, 34-20, 35-19, 24-6, and 42-10.  Only the Raiders game was remotely competitive.

If you thought we were not competitive against the Broncos, you did not watch the game. That was actually our best game, not the one in Oakland, despite losing Cecil Shorts on our first drive.

This team reminds me more and more of the 1980 Saints and it was only another 7 years until the Saints appeared in a playoff game and another 10 years before the Saints won a playoff game.

I hate to say this, but I can honestly see it taking this team other 7 years before it appears in the playoffs again and another decade before it wins a playoff game.

What happened 7 years later has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in 1980. Why would you think it does? All of the players and coaches were different by then. We are talking about only one season. There also is no reason to think it really will take us 7 years to go back to the playoffs because you have seen teams go from worst to first every year. Rookie head coaches in the NFL are not always bad forever. If you don't know that, you are not a Jaguars fan, because Jacksonville is one of the teams that did it.

The best thing this team has going for it with respect to staying in Jacksonville is that I can't believe another city would want to inherit a team this bad.

Nonsense. Shad Khan was selected to succeed Wayne Weaver partly because he agreed to commit the team to Jacksonville, meaning as long as he is the owner, we will not move, no matter what the fans think or the media says. It has nothing to do with what other cities want.

Read the red text.

Cool story bro.

Quote:I've been an NFL fan for nearly 50 years and I can't think of a worse non-expansion team.

Hang in there Pops.. Hopefully we can field a winner before your big day..

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

My post has empirical support:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/i...ville-jags

"Jacksonville has been the least competitive team since the merger."

Enough said.

The Jags got my hopes up a tiny bit after the Denver game.

Just going on the absolute hopelessness I felt for this team after the losses that followed....  I have to say I've not seen a team this bad that I can recall.  There probably have been a few - but the Jags play vs. SF and SD was really, really, really, really horrible.  

It won't take seven years to reach the playoffs, though.  That's just absolutely ridiculous to say.  

Actually we put up a few good drives against the 49ers and could have made it a much closer point differential, but could not finish what we started. I think if we had not fallen so far behind early, there is a very good chance Gus Bradley would have called Josh Scobee's number every time we got in field goal range.

Quote:My post has empirical support:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/i...ville-jags

"Jacksonville has been the least competitive team since the merger."

Enough said.

While its never surprising how dumb ESPN is, its surprising to have so many Jags fans that post here actually be so dumb too....

The Jags schedule the 1st 8 games was for the most part very difficult. It has influenced the level of losses that they have suffered. Over the course of thre next 8 games, the Jags schedule gets much easier.....not only will they win a game or 2 over that stretch but the games that are losses will also be much closer. 

All this talk of "worst team ever" is such a crock of poop. 

Quote:The Jags got my hopes up a tiny bit after the Denver game.

Just going on the absolute hopelessness I felt for this team after the losses that followed....  I have to say I've not seen a team this bad that I can recall.  There probably have been a few - but the Jags play vs. SF and SD was really, really, really, really horrible.  

It won't take seven years to reach the playoffs, though.  That's just absolutely ridiculous to say.  

I still don't understand how some people could be so delusional.

The only reason the Broncos didn't blow the Jaguars out by 50 is because they didn't care to.

It took the Broncos fumbling multiple center/QB exchanges and throwing INTs for the Jaguars to "keep it close" by "only" losing by 16.

Anyone watching that game without their teal glasses on saw clearly what happened. The Broncos went through the game squarely focused on not getting anyone injured because they felt no threat whatsoever from the Jaguars, and when it was time for them to put the chokeslam on the Jaguars and finish the game out they did so and did so easily.

I never saw so much joy over 12 points being scored against a 29th ranked defense that had given up almost 50 the week before.

I like cheese.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I still don't understand how some people could be so delusional.

The only reason the Broncos didn't blow the Jaguars out by 50 is because they didn't care to.

It took the Broncos fumbling multiple center/QB exchanges and throwing INTs for the Jaguars to "keep it close" by "only" losing by 16.

Anyone watching that game without their teal glasses on saw clearly what happened. The Broncos went through the game squarely focused on not getting anyone injured because they felt no threat whatsoever from the Jaguars, and when it was time for them to put the chokeslam on the Jaguars and finish the game out they did so and did so easily.

I never saw so much joy over 12 points being scored against a 29th ranked defense that had given up almost 50 the week before.

Don't put words in my mouth.   I can't believe you have the stones to even post here after insulting everyone who didn't share  your stupid  BG delusions.  What a fool. 

I said "got my hopes up a tiny bit,"  you moron.   That doesn't equate to any of your idiotic babbling about in the post above.   Just ignore my posts from this point forward.  Please.   You have zero to contribute. 

Do I have to spell out the few things the Jags did well in that game that inspired confidence?  I'm sure I do - since you wouldn't know what a football was if it jumped up and but you in the [BLEEP]. 

Did Denver allow the Jags defense to knock Manning on his butt a dozen + times because "they didn't care to" ?  SMH.  What an idiot. 

Quote:Don't put words in my mouth.   I can't believe you have the stones to even post here after insulting everyone who didn't share  your stupid  BG delusions.  What a fool. 

I said "got my hopes up a tiny bit,"  you moron.   That doesn't equate to any of your idiotic babbling about in the post above.   Just ignore my posts from this point forward.  Please.   You have zero to contribute. 

Do I have to spell out the few things the Jags did well in that game that inspired confidence?  I'm sure I do - since you wouldn't know what a football was if it jumped up and but you in the [BLEEP]. 

Did Denver allow the Jags defense to knock Manning on his butt a dozen + times because "they didn't care to" ?  SMH.  What an idiot. 
And injure his ankles, an issue he's still dealing with?

Quote:And injure his ankles, an issue he's still dealing with?
Good point.   Oops.  Guess we must have misplaced our teal glasses, huh?  

Quote:"The Broncos went through the game squarely focused on not getting anyone injured"

Someone forgot to tell the O-line about that one, Joke-la-homer.   

Quote:Only the Cardinals break even at 4-4; the rest have losing records

Read the red text.

incorrect. Titans are currently 4-4 and will be 5-4 after Sunday

Quote:I like cheese.

I hate cheese.