Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Detailed Midseason Breakdown of Dave Caldwell's Major Moves

Quote:Under the rules for compensatory draft selections, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in the previous year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

If you guys recall, Caldwell wants to build through the draft.  OF COURSE he wanted free agents that were comparable or less to those who walked away.  The goal is to get compensatory picks, not to win it all this year.  Now, if we were playoff contenders, he'd only try to get in guys that would upgrade the team.  As it stands, he is looking for picks.  Since it's clear that we are not going to the playoffs anytime soon, you should be rooting for all our former free agents.  We want them to do better so our team can get more talented in the draft.  A number 1 draft pick and 3 or 4 compensatory picks would be pretty baller on top of what we already have going, especially if we could land another third rounder (doubtful since we didn't have any elite talent to begin with).  

Quote:The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 07:12 PM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:Eric gets confused when you say the team needed to gut the roster and begin the rebuilding process quickly, which is a different approach to how we've seen it done here previously. 

But it's not. This is the same approach Gene Smith used.

You can hope that Caldwell ends up making better choices, but the approach is the same. The fact that the Jags didn't go 0-16 in 2009 is because of the quality of players that remained, the continuity of scheme, the faster early development of Gene's draft picks (and possibly better coaching). But the way Caldell is starting off is eerily similar to Gene.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

It's really hard to break down a GM after half a season. You need time. Hell, most people thought Gene Smith was a genius after his first season at the helm. 

[Image: hot-dancing-unlv-college-football-fan-2012.gif]

Quote:But it's not. This is the same approach Gene Smith used.

You can hope that Caldwell ends up making better choices, but the approach is the same. The fact that the Jags didn't go 0-16 in 2009 is because of the quality of players that remained, the continuity of scheme, the faster early development of Gene's draft picks (and possibly better coaching). But the way Caldell is starting off is eerily similar to Gene.

Gene Smith didn't let most of the veteran free agents leave when their contracts were up. 

And for all the talk about building through the draft, he made more than his fair share of free agent mistakes too while drafting poorly on top of that, so it's nothing at all like what we've seen so far from Caldwell. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The roster is in shambles because of year after year of bad drafting and horrible free agent acquisitions. 

It was time to gut the roster and start from scratch. 

Give Caldwell three years and see what he can do. 

Quote:Gene Smith didn't let most of the veteran free agents leave when their contracts were up. 

And for all the talk about building through the draft, he made more than his fair share of free agent mistakes too while drafting poorly on top of that, so it's nothing at all like what we've seen so far from Caldwell. 

What players whose contracts were up did Gene re-sign in 2009?

You are projecting using Gene's actions in years subsequent to his first season, and assuming Caldwell will be different. See my post on the Gene == Shack thread. Their first seasons were almost identical.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We're at least 3-4 years away from being competitive.  We're worse than the 76 Bucs - and 25 straight losses is not out of the question.  Yes - we are THAT bad.

Although I don't agree with all the points I still found this topic to be a great read.  The OP presented a well laid out and factually supported position.

The rookie safeties have shown flashes and but have also been particularly prone to taking poor angles in pursuit.  I'll reserve judgment on them until we have more talent among the front 7.

I was hoping Cox was retained but all I hear is how much of a disappointment he has been in San Diego.  I also didn't have high hopes for Ball but he's made some plays and been far from the weakest link.  I'll give this to the management.

It's pretty much the same thing for Will T.  Sure, he doesn't match the offensive skillset of Greg Jones but it looks like he does what exactly what a fullback needs to do.  Considering the mess of the interior O-Line I really think Will is the type of player we need now.  I figure he will probably be replaced after the O-Line is revamped (possibly even by Pryor who is still on the PS).

Geno Hayes has pretty much been as expected - he is no Daryl Smith and is nothing more than a filler.

Roy Miller is the only major disappointment.  Unless something major happens the second half of the season Miller will be downgraded from a disappointment to a Caldwell whiff.

All in all, I don't see a record difference with Jones, Knighton, and Smith.  I just cant see how those three players would be enough to overturn 8 10+ point losses.

There is something about the entire concept of rebuilding that seems to elude many of the Jags fans. The guys we had last year were below average..so you have to replace then with younger and (hopefully) better players. No one is going to be right all of the time and it is a 2-3 year process. I would like to review your work performance (anyone on the board) and critique all of your decisions with the absolutely wonderful 20/20 hindsight.  I dare say most of us would have a few decisions we wish we had a do over for. Lets let this group have a couple of years before we decide they are not the ones to fix all that is broken. 

We need another Punter...Anger is being over-used.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote: The guys we had last year were below average..so you have to replace then with younger and (hopefully) better players. No one is going to be right all of the time and it is a 2-3 year process.

I don't agree with the statement that the guys we had last year were below average unless your definition of average is different than the GM's around the league who hired them and gave them starting jobs. Why would a GM on the Broncos hire Knighton if he was below average? Why would Cox get a job in San Diego if he was below average? Why would Smith and Jones get jobs? And if they were below average as you say, you'd expect these guys to be bench players at best. So by the mere fact they are starting on WINNING teams leads one to conclude they can't be below average.

People seem to think that a 2-14 team is completely devoid of talent while not assigning any proprietorship to coaching. If a 2-14 team is devoid of talent then it stands to reason a 0-8 team is devoid of talent.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Quote:We need another Punter...Anger is being over-used.

Anger isn't even a top 10 punter right now which is telling because he's punted more than anyone in the league.

Gene Smith even missed on the punter....SMH.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:I don't agree with the statement that the guys we had last year were below average unless your definition of average is different than the GM's around the league who hired them and gave them starting jobs. Why would a GM on the Broncos hire Knighton if he was below average? Why would Cox get a job in San Diego if he was below average? Why would Smith and Jones get jobs? And if they were below average as you say, you'd expect these guys to be bench players at best. So by the mere fact they are starting on WINNING teams leads one to conclude they can't be below average.

People seem to think that a 2-14 team is completely devoid of talent while not assigning any proprietorship to coaching. If a 2-14 team is devoid of talent then it stands to reason a 0-8 team is devoid of talent.

isn't Landry now starting for the Colts?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Although I don't agree with all the points I still found this topic to be a great read.  The OP presented a well laid out and factually supported position.

The rookie safeties have shown flashes and but have also been particularly prone to taking poor angles in pursuit.  I'll reserve judgment on them until we have more talent among the front 7.

I was hoping Cox was retained but all I hear is how much of a disappointment he has been in San Diego.  I also didn't have high hopes for Ball but he's made some plays and been far from the weakest link.  I'll give this to the management.

It's pretty much the same thing for Will T.  Sure, he doesn't match the offensive skillset of Greg Jones but it looks like he does what exactly what a fullback needs to do.  Considering the mess of the interior O-Line I really think Will is the type of player we need now.  I figure he will probably be replaced after the O-Line is revamped (possibly even by Pryor who is still on the PS).

Geno Hayes has pretty much been as expected - he is no Daryl Smith and is nothing more than a filler.

Roy Miller is the only major disappointment.  Unless something major happens the second half of the season Miller will be downgraded from a disappointment to a Caldwell whiff.

All in all, I don't see a record difference with Jones, Knighton, and Smith.  I just cant see how those three players would be enough to overturn 8 10+ point losses.
Thank you for looking at the topic in an unbiased way. Not everyone has to, or should agree with some of the more opinionated things I have said, but I tried to back it up with facts about contracts and performance when possible.

Quote:I don't agree with the statement that the guys we had last year were below average unless your definition of average is different than the GM's around the league who hired them and gave them starting jobs. Why would a GM on the Broncos hire Knighton if he was below average? Why would Cox get a job in San Diego if he was below average? Why would Smith and Jones get jobs? And if they were below average as you say, you'd expect these guys to be bench players at best. So by the mere fact they are starting on WINNING teams leads one to conclude they can't be below average.

Exactly. They obviously were so bad that they went to better teams, and now they are starting.... That's why we let them go.

Good points.

One other consideration that escapes the gut-the-roster defenders is that there are fans (frequently children) for whom some arbitrary player can be a favorite. If you cut
 (or failed to re-sign) a player and replace him with a lesser or equal player, you've just replaced a favorite player of some number of fans, yet got no improvement. In the case of Miller over Knighton, a dozen little Johnnys lost their favorite player and the Jags have not even saved any money in the process.

Quote:isn't Landry now starting for the Colts?

That's the other Landry. Dawan Landry is starting for the Jets.

A new GM taking the Jags job has a right to do it the way he wants to do it.

Next year if the team isn't significantly better, then I'm going to be very worried.  One year or horrible play I can deal with, but sorry Caldwell, you ain't getting 2 sorry seasons in a row from me.  If I have to watch ANOTHER year of 12+ losses, I'm not going to renew my tickets for the 2015 season.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Daryl Smith was by far our best player, old or not and still hate that we didn't keep him here. 

Quote:A new GM taking the Jags job has a right to do it the way he wants to do it.

Next year if the team isn't significantly better, then I'm going to be very worried.  One year or horrible play I can deal with, but sorry Caldwell, you ain't getting 2 sorry seasons in a row from me.  If I have to watch ANOTHER year of 12+ losses, I'm not going to renew my tickets for the 2015 season.

I agree next year we should expect drastic improvement

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

The D-line is just terrible. Your stats are misleading in that Miller's tackles happen 5-6 yards down field and not in the back field or near the line of scrimmage.

No pain, no gain.