Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Looking ahead to 2014

The Jags are 13th in passing defense and they are doing it with no pass rush.  Blackmon and Shorts are doing their thing on the outside.  Ace Sanders and Dennard Robinson are capable homerun hitters.  Scobee, Prosinski, Sanders and Anger gives us a formable special teams unit.

Give me a pass rusher that can put up double digit sacks for the next 8-10 years, and a QB that can get the ball out quick and the 2014 Jags could go from worse to Wildcard. 

The Texans have all kinds of issues.  The Titans are in a transitional phase and aren't highlighting Chris Johnson anymore.  Nobody is sold on Locker.  The Colts might have just lost their best offensive player and Robert Mathis is slowing down on that defense. 

The 2014 Jaguars will be a team that makes a lot of noise as long as we find those 2 components.  QB and a DE.

Draft the QB and go get a DE in free agency and draft O-line.  A solid DT will help also.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Pass D is ranked so high because teams are running at will.  We're always behind, so why would teams try passing when they can just run out the clock?

We're a lot further behind in talent than just a DE and QB.  Don't get me wrong, those are the most glaring needs, but we're missing a dominant DT, we're slow at LB, I don't think we even have a TE, and we need a RB to replace MJD.  At least 2-3 more starters needed on the O-line. 

Maybe 4-12 in 2014 and then look at the playoffs in 2015.

Quote:Pass D is ranked so high because teams are running at will.  We're always behind, so why would teams try passing when they can just run out the clock?

Agreed. Are we even running any of that press-man scheme? Seems like mostly zone, with some man mixed in on occasion. To this point, the pass D has been pretty "meh" if you ask me. Lots of guys running around uncovered.

Quote:We're a lot further behind in talent than just a DE and QB.  Don't get me wrong, those are the most glaring needs, but we're missing a dominant DT, we're slow at LB, I don't think we even have a TE, and we need a RB to replace MJD.  At least 2-3 more starters needed on the O-line. 

Maybe 4-12 in 2014 and then look at the playoffs in 2015.

I agree with what you are saying.  My thought process was that we can't have a stud at every position.  So a couple 3rd, 4th, and even 5th rounder would be sprinkled in their.

With us being the 2nd lowest cap number in the league, I really hope Khan steps out in free agency and makes a huge splash.  There is no way we can have another season like last year or this year.  He would completely lose the fans and players in my opinion.

@ Navyjagfan, if Bridgewater is close to Andrew Luck in talent then the Jags  could make noise earlier than 15'

Were going to beef up the oline in FA and then QB and defense in the draft. That could easily boost us to 8-8. Even 10-6 would be a possibility if we got a good LEO or 2.

I agree.  A decent QB instantly gives us a shot to win any game.  Weather its 10 games or 1 game.  A Good QB gives us a punchers chance.

QB> DE though keep that in mind. 

While Teddy will definitely help, we still need help at all 3 interior offensive line positions, we have nothing at TE, MJD is done and Forsett/Todman are not the answers, Babin, Alualu, and Mincey are all worthless so we need 3 DE's (that's IF Branch shows any improvement), and we need a lot of help at LB. 

Even with the extra draft picks, there are just too many holes to fill in one offseason. 

I think 2014 is when we get rid of all the bad Gene Smith contracts, sign some young FA's, get our franchise QB, and are at least competitive, but not good enough to really compete for a playoff spot until 2015. 

Gene Smith set us behind for a decade...

The team will have a lot of money to do what is necessary to plug more than 2 holes next year, and an owner who will be expecting marked improvement on the field.

I think they can make significant strides next year including getting their QB and finding a pass rush while still addressing the offensive line. They won't draft a QB to stand behind what we have currently. They will not risk the most important pick of this era by exposing him to the kind of pummeling that ruined any chance Gabbert may have had at establishing himself.

It may not be immediate, but I expect the turnaround next year to be significant. Everything is setting up for that.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Have to remember Caldwell wants to build through the draft and FAs have to want to come here. Not sure if we'll make any splashes or not.

Quote:Have to remember Caldwell wants to build through the draft and FAs have to want to come here. Not sure if we'll make any splashes or not.

Free agents will go where the money is. There's nothing to prevent them from coming here. You've got a team with the means coached by a guy the players like. I don't think they'll have any problem getting free agents to come here. You can still build through the draft, but there are only so many picks and a lot more holes to fill.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:The Jags are 13th in passing defense and they are doing it with no pass rush.  
49ers passed the ball 17 times Sunday.

They rushed 38 TIMES for 221 yds.  That'll skew your  pass defense numbers pretty quick.   Still.... this secondary covers a lot better than they tackle running backs. 

For a brand new secondary with two rookie safeties, they already exceeded expectations. With a year of experience in 2014, they will be a force to reckon with.

Quote:Have to remember Caldwell wants to build through the draft and FAs have to want to come here. Not sure if we'll make any splashes or not.

I laugh when people say this.

Quote:I laugh when people say this.
Offer fair money (in a state with no state income tax) and a chance to play and grow and players will come!

Quote:Offer fair money (in a state with no state income tax) and a chance to play and grow and players will come!

When people suggest free agents won't come here, that is along the same lines of believing that players actually try to tank. When you break it down in real world terms, would your "tank" at your job for the benefit of your company? There is nothing more ridiculous than thinking that.That is why I laugh so hard when TMD suggests Tampa Bay is actually trying to tank.

Quote:I agree with what you are saying.  My thought process was that we can't have a stud at every position.  So a couple 3rd, 4th, and even 5th rounder would be sprinkled in their.

With us being the 2nd lowest cap number in the league, I really hope Khan steps out in free agency and makes a huge splash.  There is no way we can have another season like last year or this year.  He would completely lose the fans and players in my opinion.

I don't want a huge splash; I just want competent free agents.   I am willing to try to draft our superstars. 

I agree with your last two sentences. 

"There is no way we can have another season like last year or this year.  He would completely lose the fans and players in my opinion."

Quote:I don't want a huge splash; I just want competent free agents.   I am willing to try to draft our superstars. 

I agree with your last two sentences. 

"There is no way we can have another season like last year or this year.  He would completely lose the fans and players in my opinion."
Landing your stars via the draft is the way any franchise would prefer to do things.

Solid free agent acquisitions you can plug in and expect them to contribute right away will be critical next year.  I don't expect to see the team making a big splash either.  I expect to see them making many splashes, as they work to fill the gaps remaining after the draft is done.  We'll be able to address a lot more than people seem to think if we do it right.