Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How would you grade Bradley and his staff so far? For a point of reference, assume that Mularkey and his staff last year were a "D."
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]

Grade Bradley and the coaching staff

Quote:Have you never heard of the phrase, "one step backward...two steps forward"?

This is like 10 steps back though.  This is really bad

Gene's Myth

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As long as a gm can draft well he shouldn't have to strip a team down to pure trash just to get better. You don't have to be in the top three of the draft to get good players if you do the research and pick the right players. Apparently Caldwell thinks that you must devoid the team of all proven talent to do just that. You could've kept Smith and found the younger replacement to him in this upcoming draft that's better. Bringing in Geno Hayes is a clear downgrade at the position and makes the team worse.

Part of it is that Caldwell doesn't want guys on his roster who he expects will be retired in three years.

'02

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2013, 07:53 AM by DewtheMathis.)

I had to redo this due to website problems.. .sorry

Quote:I said C because I really do like Bradley as the HC and feel he'll get things headed in the right direction eventually. But overall this team is just pathetic wherein last year's 2-14 team probably would beat them. I also quite frankly have no love for the coordinators. I like Bradley, and the secondary coach who was recently the interim coach for a couple days when Gus visited his dad, but the rest of the coaches gotta go possibly exempting a couple good assistants I'm overlooking. I do like the WR coach, but I think he's set to retire after the year regardless. I'm also thinking the LB coach is ok. The ones that definitely have to go are the OC, the DC, and the OL and DL coaches.

Do you like Gus as a Head Coach or do you like him as a person (personallity)? I mean 0-8 its hard to rate any HC with a C maybe if he was 3-4 at least...

After being winless, being blown out in games even at home before halftime, and having only one game where we scored 20 points (which was the max),

you have to give this team an F anything else is simply a bias.

The other thing is both Dave (GM) and Gus are new so its hard to tell if they are working together (like who thought it would be a good idea to get rid of Eugene for a 5th round pick when the rookie LT couldnt even handle the right side granted it was a bit silly to draft him that high for the right side)?

The more I think of that one its all GM Dave's fault I mean its his job to handle those things even if Gus had said something to him, since technically Gus works for him & he picked Gus to be the HC. That being said it would seem obivious to me that the GM has to be fired. Whether or not the new GM keeps Gus would depend on how he truly evalutes his ability to lead as a HC.

I dont see how the owner could keep Dave as the GM unless some dramatic changes occur before the end of this season.

Quote:Do you like Gus as a Head Coach or do you like him as a person (personallity)? I mean 0-8 its hard to rate any HC with a C maybe if he was 3-4 at least...

After being winless, being blown out in games even at home before halftime, and having only one game where we scored 20 points (which was the max),

you have to give this team an F anything else is simply a bias.

The other thing is both Dave (GM) and Gus are new so its hard to tell if they are working together (like who thought it would be a good idea to get rid of Eugene for a 5th round pick when the rookie LT couldnt even handle the right side granted it was a bit silly to draft him that high for the right side)?

The more I think of that one its all GM Dave's fault I mean its his job to handle those things even if Gus had said something to him, since technically Gus works for him & he picked Gus to be the HC. That being said it would seem obivious to me that the GM has to be fired. Whether or not the new GM keeps Gus would depend on how he truly evalutes his ability to lead as a HC.

I dont see how the owner could keep Dave as the GM unless some dramatic changes occur before the end of this season.

Caldwell isn't going anywhere…that is nearly assured

Gene's Myth

Honestly, Caldwell has had me scratching my head wondering what he's doing since he got here, but I figure we have to give him the benefit of any doubt and at least see if the talent he brings in develops. At least I am impressed with a few guys I thought would be scrubs such as Will Blackmon and Clay Harbor. That said, it's obvious that Dave has gutted the roster of what little talent it had left in order to field a roster chalked full of young developing players with very few exceptions like Babin. I'm still baffled as to why they let Lowery go, but again the move is obviously part of an intentional youth movement. It's doesn't take rocket science to realize that Caldwell is planning for the future by sacrificing wins this year with a roster incapable of fielding a competitive team.

As for Gus, I feel strongly that he deserves to stick around. Is it his attitude? Well certainly that's a large part of it because it's a great attitude. The thing is, he's a rookie too learning from his own rookie mistakes, but he's learning quickly. The players are clearly 100 percent behind him going to bat for him. Despite all these losses, the locker itself appears to be as strong mentally as they've ever been. I feel that if Gus had a roster capable of contending, the team would contend winning as expected. I couldn't say that about Mularkey who would probably bring any team down regardless of the talent on it. That said, I do feel it was a mistake to let Gus make the call on the coaching staff. I feel like Caldwell needs to handle all personnel decisions, but I see that as a rookie move by the GM who also should be learning from mistakes.

Frankly I feel that any knee jerk reaction by the owner would be a mistake, and that Gus and Dave deserve a fair shake to see what kind of team they can build. I expect obvious improvement next year (such as the five or six wins we were expecting this year) followed by the team being a legitimate threat to make the Playoffs in 2015. By 2016 I expect to be winning Playoff games with the team a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2017. Is that too long to wait? I don't think so provided it truly brings a Championship. Look how long we've waited already, and how long several other teams have had to wait. It takes time to properly build a Championship roster.

'02

Quote:which Jax will as theres no doubt in my mind that Jax wins multiple games between now and seasons end. The schedule is too easy.

Lol. I swear, I really don't think you've watched this team at all this year. Every team in the NFL is much better than Jax. Yes, that includes the other bottom feeders. There is no way the "schedule is too easy" when this team cannot even compete at all. The only way I see a win, is if the Colts are resting players week 17 due to seeding locked up. Even then, Henne/Gabbert/Stanzi and this putrid defense still probably couldn't do it.

I may be wrong, and I'll come here and admit it if they do pull out some wins. But, after watching them vs the Raiders, and seeing them not able to score or stop opponents offenses, I don't see any chance of winning.

Cmon Tampa! Pull one out!

Quote:Lol. I swear, I really don't think you've watched this team at all this year. Every team in the NFL is much better than Jax. Yes, that includes the other bottom feeders. There is no way the "schedule is too easy" when this team cannot even compete at all. The only way I see a win, is if the Colts are resting players week 17 due to seeding locked up. Even then, Henne/Gabbert/Stanzi and this putrid defense still probably couldn't do it.

I may be wrong, and I'll come here and admit it if they do pull out some wins. But, after watching them vs the Raiders, and seeing them not able to score or stop opponents offenses, I don't see any chance of winning.

Cmon Tampa! Pull one out!

It has less to do with how good I feel the Jags are and more to do with how easy the 2nd half of the schedule is....

what is so hard to understand??? 

BTW, I voted F, because there was no "G" option....

Quote:You are trying to make this black and white and it isn't.

It is about improving and competing even if we lose.  Problem is players, but it looks like coaching is a factor as well.  Week 8 and we are still making the same mistakes, still blowing assignments, still struggling to score TD's in the red zone and still looking like we don't belong on the field with our opponent.  I'm still in support of Gus, but based on how we have played it is reasonable to criticize the coaching staff.  I still support Caldwell, but I also think he didn't handle the Monroe trade correctly.  

This is exactly the point here.  The biggest thing you'd expect out of a HC are expectations and accountability.  With the above as examples, I don't see much of either.  I mean yeah, we get the rah rah "there are positives" speech every week from Bradley but there don't appear to be any real changes in the way of setting the bar high and holding people accountable.

The one that sticks out (other than many missed assignment, looking very unprepared, out-coached on play calling, etc, lack of player development) is with Babin.  This clown has had multiple stupid mental penalties (off sides) and Bradley hasn't corrected it.  This guy is a veteran who should be leading by example but isn't.  Bradley likes to blow it off as being "aggressive" but doesn't make true corrections.

These indicators are why I believe it is fair to criticize the staff because you can have all the talent in the world but these things seem to indicate a below average coaching staff.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 03:13 AM by Jungle Cat.)

The grade is F.

Even with the players we have, the inability thus far to reach a high-water mark of two wins in the most recent season speaks for itself.

Somebody tell "Sideshow" Shad that the vision of an NFL head coach is a CEO not the lead mechanic of a Harley shop.

Every time Gus Bradley opens his mouth and says, "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT"....it's like

[Image: 648.gif]

I seriously doubt we have much to work with. Gus is a one and done guy with too many years of contract left.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote: Dave has gutted the roster of what little talent it had left in order to field a roster chalked full of young developing players with very few exceptions like Babin. 

What gets me is the fact that Bradley is not using this lousy season wisely. He could be granting these so called young, developing players valuable regular season playing time.

It's flat out stupid to pretend that we are fielding any sort of contender.

Guys like Meester should be sent to the bench in favor of grooming young players.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:What gets me is the fact that Bradley is not using this lousy season wisely. He could be granting these so called young, developing players valuable regular season playing time.

It's flat out stupid to pretend that we are fielding any sort of contender.

Guys like Meester should be sent to the bench in favor of grooming young players.

You have a point here, however, I've long sensed that Caldwell and Bradley are not on the exact same page in this regard. Every move Caldwell has made is about planning for the future, but it's Bradley's job to win games now by whatever means necessary.

'02

I like that you can vote for all five

;

;

Quote:The one that sticks out (other than many missed assignment, looking very unprepared, out-coached on play calling, etc, lack of player development) is with Babin.  This clown has had multiple stupid mental penalties (off sides) and Bradley hasn't corrected it.  This guy is a veteran who should be leading by example but isn't.  Bradley likes to blow it off as being "aggressive" but doesn't make true corrections.

I disagree. Babin's penalties are due to being overaggressive. He is a older veteran who is still playing all-out every down for an 0-8 disaster of a team. While the penalties hurt, you can't ask for a better role model for young players than someone who has every reason to mail it in but still plays hard every down. I have a lot of concerns about Bradley, but his handling of Babin is not one of them.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The grade is F.

Even with the players we have, the inability thus far to reach a high-water mark of two wins in the most recent season speaks for itself.

Somebody tell "Sideshow" Shad that the vision of an NFL head coach is a CEO not the lead mechanic of a Harley shop.

Every time Gus Bradley opens his mouth and says, "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT"....it's like

[Image: 648.gif]

I seriously doubt we have much to work with. Gus is a one and done guy with too many years of contract left.

He (Gus) does seem like just another meathead, ala Jack Del Rio, who brings very little in the kind of brains (Belichck/ Jimmy Johnson) or accountability / leadership (Coughlin/ Parcells) to the table. 

To think, we passed on Andy Reid and Chip Kelly for this guy....

Quote:He (Gus) does seem like just another meathead, ala Jack Del Rio, who brings very little in the kind of brains (Belichck/ Jimmy Johnson) or accountability / leadership (Coughlin/ Parcells) to the table. 

Keep the comedy coming, as we know you're an expert.

I guess you've finished helping Chip Kelly revolutionize the NFL.

And you should know from meatheads.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:This is like 10 steps back though.  This is really bad

What?  Losing every game by an average of 20 points then having your best player suspended indefinitely is bad ??  I thought this was all part of the plan ... the growing process .... giving effort.

Quote:He (Gus) does seem like just another meathead, ala Jack Del Rio, who brings very little in the kind of brains (Belichck/ Jimmy Johnson) or accountability / leadership (Coughlin/ Parcells) to the table. 

The irony here being that you raved about Bradley when he was believe to be the Eagles choice.

;

;