Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thursday Night Football might be going away

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/thu...5cy40oqsx3

On the plus side, no more sympathy game against the Titans in September. No more Eddie George spending five minutes explaining why the world should care.

On the down side, bye bye nationally-televised games.

Or is that a plus?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Being on the East Coast...I don't like any of the "Prime Time" games.  They make me stay up too late.

Have you seen my baseball?

When the Jags played TNF, I was up until 5am.. that kinda sucked.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM by D6.)

I prefer having the option of watching a Thursday Night Live NFL game.   Yet,  with the NFL ratings down this season,   the NFL probably is concerned about their product going beyond the saturation level.  

From the standpoint of having a better quality of football on Thursday Nights,  the league should consider have the 2 teams have a bye on the weekend before the Thursday Night game they are in.   Or at least do this as often as feasible. 

Granted, I haven't watched many, but have any of the games been anything other than a snoozefest? And those stupid uniforms don't help anything either.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Granted, I haven't watched many, but have any of the games been anything other than a snoozefest? And those stupid uniforms don't help anything either.

The uniforms are often problematic from a practical standpoint because the numbers are hard to identify.    The NFL is putting selling alternative jerseys ahead of the viewers that decide to put the channel on to watch TNF.

Quote:The uniforms are often problematic from a practical standpoint because the numbers are hard to identify.    The NFL is putting selling alternative jerseys ahead of the viewers that decide to put the channel on to watch TNF.

Definitely, it makes it feel like those games are just about selling more crappy jerseys.

They could take away Sunday afternoon football at this point and I'm not sure how much I would care.

I think the only Thursday games should be on Thanksgiving. And even then, they need to rotate teams every year.. Sorta give every team a chance to either host or play in a Thanksgiving Day game.. Getting kinda tired of Dallas and Detroit every year.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:Definitely, it makes it feel like those games are just about selling more crappy jerseys.

I hope the day will come that people will stop buying these alternative jerseys.   Most of them wouldn't be worth consideration to be a team's primary jersey.

Quote:I think the only Thursday games should be on Thanksgiving. And even then, they need to rotate teams every year.. Sorta give every team a chance to either host or play in a Thanksgiving Day game.. Getting kinda tired of Dallas and Detroit every year.

The night game on Thanksgiving Day provides other teams to host a Thanksgiving Day.   Before the night game became a part of the rotation,  there was a major push from the late Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt to have the Thanksgiving Day games rotated.   The night game enables tradition to be kept and other teams to have an opportunity.  

IMO, tradition is something that helped make the NFL the most popular pro sports league in North America.   One of many bad decisions MLB made in the last 25 years or so is scheduling a National League opener before the home opener of the oldest NL team,  the Cincinnati Reds.    The Reds opening game to start the MLB season had a special quality like the Lions Thanksgiving Day game and the more recent Cowboys Thanksgiving Day game.   Now,  the start of the NL season feels like any other day on the MLB regular season calendar.

Quote:I think the only Thursday games should be on Thanksgiving. And even then, they need to rotate teams every year.. Sorta give every team a chance to either host or play in a Thanksgiving Day game.. Getting kinda tired of Dallas and Detroit every year.

This.

I would be OK with most of that, but Dallas and Detroit playing on Thanksgiving is a tradition that dates back decades.  The late game gives the other teams the opportunity to host a game.

That being said, I don't really care for Thursday night games because of my work schedule.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Coming soon, Wednesday night football.

They should just do a Monday night doubleheader every week.

Quote:They should just do a Monday night doubleheader every week.

I could get behind that.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I could get behind that.

Its the best option

Quote:Its the best option

Yep, and start the first game at 7 pm EST

It would be on right now.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016, 09:02 AM by ZNation484.)

I agree with keeping Dallas and Detroit and having the late game be the shot for other teams. Maybe one idea would be to not make them Conference foes so that other fans have the opportunity to see their team play on Thanksgiving. I do like the classic Dallas vs Washington games, but when we got to play on Thanksgiving last year it was really cool and exciting.

I like the idea of maybe starting the TNF program at Thanksgiving and then running it for the rest of the year just to have some football on. I think it should be a game that doesn't have playoff implications however. I'll watch a crappy Bears vs a mediocre Packers game on Thursday the last few weeks of the season. I'm just tired of watching those caliber games every Thursday.

Quote:They should just do a Monday night doubleheader every week.

I would get behind that. And make one of them start earlier. My old butt can't finish a MNF game without passing out