Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could We Contend Next Year?

Lets say we draft our franchise QB after this season. We'll call him Bridgewater. Our recievers are really strong between Shorts, Blackmon, Ace, etc. Gus is constantly making our defense better. If we can draft our QB and upgrade our o line through the draft could we do some damage next year? Is there any reason to believe we can't?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not without a big step up in the pass rush. 

Quote:Lets say we draft our franchise QB after this season. We'll call him Bridgewater. Our recievers are really strong between Shorts, Blackmon, Ace, etc. Gus is constantly making our defense better. If we can draft our QB and upgrade our o line through the draft could we do some damage next year? Is there any reason to believe we can't?
The main problem will be the amount of talent already in the AFC.

It's possible that the Jaguars could jump up to contending for a playoff spot, especially if they happen to hit a homerun on one of the picks besides the QB. (Say an MJD level RB or Tony Brackens passer rusher)

Playoff contenders in 2015 I think.  Won't be a bottom feeder next year though assuming whoever we get as a new QB is able to step in and play well immediately.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

If the front office is right with their approach, you'll see a notably improved team on the field next year.  Playoffs?  Stranger things have happened.  But, it will be a better product.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

if teddy is who everyone thinks he is, and with the amount of cap space we have, im sure caldwell can assemble a squad that can make a splash.

I think that if Khan is willing to spend in free agency and we are wise through the draft then we could absolutely compete next year.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

We are certainly posed for big moves given the amount of picks we have and the cap space. If we hit on Teddy and find a decent not great but decent pass rusher and a decent RB capable of catching well out of the backfield in the draft as well it could go a long ways.

Fix the interior of the O-line and that alone accounts for 1-2 wins on the season vs this current trash one.

Find a real QB and that will make up for 2-3 more wins.

Bolstering the pass rush in FA could account for 1 more win.

2nd season with Gratz,McCray,Cyprien and Evans all having XP in the same system counts for a win IMO.

So lets say we go 1-15 this year beating the Titans once. Id say at least this would make for a 7-9 type season.

I think 2015 is when our eye should be on the playoffs. A franchise QB could get us up to 7 or 8 wins next year, I think. We still need a MLB, a pass rusher, and a better OL to really contend, IMO.

do something similar to what the Redskins did last ear. Bridgewater will make a splash and we have better receivers than they did, but I'm not convinced Caldwell can build a decent line and Idk if were gonna have any kind of a respectable rb

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM by t-rex.)

Yes.

The Jaguars have very good WRs. MJD is not what he once was. But in a more open offense can still be affective.

The key is the QB.

Remember the Colts were 2-14. They drafted Luck. The next year they were 11-5 and in the playoffs. 

The Titans are not great. The Texans are crumbling and their window is closing fast.

Yes. With good drafting and the right management the Jaguars absolutely could contend next year.

5 year plans died with John McCay and Dick Vermeil in the early 1980s.

We don't want to improve.  Check out the 2015 draft class. Imagine getting the #1 pick in that one too.

Oh, did you all see the 2016 draft class.  If we can only draft #1 in that one too.

2014 - Bridgewater

2015 - Jameis Winston

2016 - Christian Hackenburg

Our 2014 opponents are looking to be:

Home: 

Browns

Steelers

Cowboys

Giants

Bills/Jets

Texans

Colts

Titans

Away:

Ravens

Bengals

Eagles

Redskins (Might be able to go to this one!)

Raiders/Chargers

Texans

Colts

Titans

I could see us going 7-9 or better.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 04:44 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:If the front office is right with their approach, you'll see a notably improved team on the field next year. Playoffs? Stranger things have happened. But, it will be a better product.

Playoffs? *Jim Mora rant*

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Yep Teddys gonna solve a lot of problems.

The secondary will be a lot better with all the rookies having a year of experience, and i imagine the focus of the draft will be the front 7.

My way too early prediction is 9-7.

If we're going to build through the draft then no, we won't contend next year.

If we're going to build through FA then yeah, we get better.

If we're going to build through a combination of draft and FA, then maybe.

Regards..................the Chiefjag

They'll be more active in free agency next year. That's my expectation.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Lets say we draft our franchise QB after this season. We'll call him Bridgewater. Our recievers are really strong between Shorts, Blackmon, Ace, etc. Gus is constantly making our defense better. If we can draft our QB and upgrade our o line through the draft could we do some damage next year? Is there any reason to believe we can't?
It is possible if:

A.  We get a big upgrade at Qb

B.  This team spends some serious cash in FA to upgrade the roster.

If those 2 things don't happen then no way we compete.  The defense is lackluster and the offense is flat out awful.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Defense is way too far behind. Any improvements this year can mostly be attributed to opposing teams shutting it down in the second half. Why pass when the game is over?

I have a little bit of conspiracy theorist in me as I believe the NFL is not above being dirty. The NFL has written it's London script for us and by our 3rd visit we may be a little nasty at that point. By our 4th visit we will be dominating,  completing a beautiful story where Londoners will have grown with our beloved Jags watching them grow from over-matched prey to champion caliber ballers winning the hearts and souls of the United Kingdom.

I did not expect playoffs this year but I did expect offense to show some vibrancy and creativity. We were shown neither. O line may also be further away than we thought.

Do not expect a breakout next year. Hope for what we thought we would have this year, signs of potential with intermittent success.

We're going to see an unprecedented amount of free agency spending.  Depending on how well the new additions play, and how well Bridgewater play, I would say we have a shot at the playoffs in this division.  I'm pretty sure we'll be on the ESPN hype machine going into the season for most improved.