Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Could We Contend Next Year?

Quote:We're going to see an unprecedented amount of free agency spending. Depending on how well the new additions play, and how well Bridgewater play, I would say we have a shot at the playoffs in this division. I'm pretty sure we'll be on the ESPN hype machine going into the season for most improved.

Caldwell's mantra is to build thru the draft. Don't get your hopes up. The money will mostly be spent on locking up core players. Marks is on a one year contract and should be in line for a nice payday.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Imagine what would happen if the Jags had a good QB right now. Not playoff but they could have been competitive.

Quote:Caldwell's mantra is to build thru the draft. Don't get your hopes up. The money will mostly be spent on locking up core players. Marks is on a one year contract and should be in line for a nice payday.

Marks has had a decent year, but signing players to bloated contracts after above average years is what got us into trouble in the past.  We simply don't have many core players to lock up.  Our core players are Blackmon, Shorts, and the rookies.  Besides that point, with the amount of cap space we will have, we could afford to give undeserving contracts to all of our average players and still have room in FA.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 08:23 PM by Jinjo.)

The salary cap i believe is going to increase to about $130M after this year. Our current players + 2014 draft picks will put us at around $97M. So our total cap space is $33M + $28M that we can roll over from this year. So I guess we should have $60M in total cap space we can spend. Correct me if I did the cap wrong, but im pretty sure that how it works. Theres no way he doesnt spend a decent chunk of that. Cecil is the only player within the next 2 offseasons thats going to require a big deal to re-sign. And Teddy will be on a relativley low contract at around $5.5M for 4 years. During the next couple years he can sign some bigger FA contracts, because they will be expiring when its time to re-sign the players that he drafted.

Not expecting him to go crazy, but I could see multiple mid level deals.

Links:

http://overthecap.com/Teamfinancialreports.php

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ptember-3/

Quote:The salary cap i believe is going to increase to about $130M after this year. Our current players + 2014 draft picks will put us at around $97M. So our total cap space is $33M + $28M that we can roll over from this year. So I guess we should have $60M in total cap space we can spend. Correct me if I did the cap wrong, but im pretty sure that how it works. Theres no way he doesnt spend a decent chunk of that. Cecil is the only player within the next 2 offseasons thats going to require a big deal to re-sign. And Teddy will be on a relativley low contract at around $5.5M for 4 years. During the next couple years he can sign some bigger FA contracts, because they will be expiring when its time to re-sign the players that he drafted.

Not expecting him to go crazy, but I could see multiple mid level deals.

Links:

http://overthecap.com/Teamfinancialreports.php

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ptember-3/

From everything I've read the cap will only go up a million or so like it has the last few seasons.  I'm expecting about 124 million.  Don't go by profootballtalk for almost anything.  They aren't taking into account the 27+ million in dead money we have this year.  We have almost no cap space this year.  We should be at about 86 million if nothing else changes.  We'll probably be about 94 or 95 million after rookies.  The salary cap floor should be about 110 million.  If we don't free up any space, resign anyone, or extend any contracts, we're looking at 25-34 million or so in spending.  To get to 25 million in spending we could sign probably 4-5 8 million dollar a year contracts.  These are players like Jake Long, Andy Levitre, and Mike Wallace. 

I said it last year, I'll say it this year.

The Jaguars are an 11-5 team with an 0-16 QB.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Jags are lacking talent across the board.  Even with them drafting first and being more active in free agency, this is a 2-3 year rebuilding project.  We won't be looking at the playoffs until 2015.  Maybe 6-10 in 2014.

Quote:Jags are lacking talent across the board.  Even with them drafting first and being more active in free agency, this is a 2-3 year rebuilding project.  We won't be looking at the playoffs until 2015.  Maybe 6-10 in 2014.
The Jaguars have two #1 caliber receivers and will have the top QB in the draft next year. I don't think it'll take that long.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

I don't think the Jags will spend serious money in the FA market next year... they will draft this year to try to fill a lot of holes on the team and bring in some FA much like they did this year... 2015 is when they will spend heavy on FA to make the roster stronger and a push for the playoffs... I do think the team will make some strides in 2014 and be more competitive than they are this year...
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

It'll all depend on the QB again, can't do anything without a QB

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Next season, this team will be more competitive, but not to a playoff caliber level as yet.  2015 will be the first year to potentially compete at a playoff level.  This team is still lacking talent in too many positions to fix in one more season.

It depends on how well the qb we pick next year's plays to be honest. If they have rookie growing pains like we all know is certainly possible, then it might not happen but if we get someone that makes a huge splash right off the bat then we could be contending for the playoffs next year absolutely.
Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

No.

Quote:Lets say we draft our franchise QB after this season. We'll call him Bridgewater. Our recievers are really strong between Shorts, Blackmon, Ace, etc. Gus is constantly making our defense better. If we can draft our QB and upgrade our o line through the draft could we do some damage next year? Is there any reason to believe we can't?

Well, it IS the NFL we're talking about, so, yes, anything is possible. But we certainly have to get our QB in next year's draft. And we cannot miss on this. If this doesn't pan out over the next three years, we'll be right back to where we were this year with a new GM and HC in place once again. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Caldwell drafting (2) QB's in next year's draft. Take your franchise guy with the #1 overall selection, and then get you another guy in RD3 like Aaron Murray from UGA or Zach Mettenberger out of LSU.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Draft Teddy

Sign Alex Mack

Sign Greg Hardy

Draft best OG in 2nd and 3rd

Draft decent TE in 4th

I could see us being a contender if it went a little like that ^

If we get a QB who can come in right away and have somewhere near a Newton/Griffin/Luck rookie year then we could push for the playoffs.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

If I had to guess about next year right now  (which is pretty ridiculous to do)  I'd say: 

This team + a real QB =   around 5 wins.  

This team with a pass rush and a real QB  =  6 or 7 wins.

(This ^  is all assuming that performance in other areas stays the same or slightly improves as younger guys develop. )

Way too soon to know. Too many people are making too many assumptions. We don't know where the next QB will come from. (What if JAX traded from 1 to 3 with Pittsburgh for their second as well as Rothlesberger) Not saying it would or will happen, but not saying it couldn't either..... That opens up a completely different scenario for rebuilding. Take BAPR at #3 and go wild with the rest of the picks.

Also, nobody knows how Caldwell will operate in FA. He has had one offseason to judge from. Does he follow form next year or does he make a huge splash? None of us know. If he thinks he can get good and upcoming players for more responsible contracts, a lot of people here are going to be very disappointed. The lack of the big name and numbers will turn off a bunch of people. Whether it works or not will not be known though.

Way too many "what ifs"

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We have tons of Cap room after we clean house (Mincey, Lewis, MJD, POZ) and this is a very deep draft so we will be much better next year.  I think 2015 season is the one that will show us as a contender

With a QB yes. Anyone says otherwise is a true fan through and through.

A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up