Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet'>Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet </a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/385863977143525376'>1h</a>

Was asked by <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/lindsay_rhodes'>@lindsay_rhodes</a> if <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Browns&src=hash'>#Browns</a> could actually be buyers: Turns out, they would've traded for Eugene Monroe if they had the chance

Man I don't see why didn't call a other teams to see what he could get! Dont know if he would of got better but he should of tried. Under if there was a under the table deal also? Oh well I guess its over now time to move on.

Why would the Browns trade for Monroe when they have Joe Thomas?

If this is true then I wish he would have shopped him around more. That's kinda disappointing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:If a player says they don't want to play for a certain team why would that team want to trade for them?  They wouldn't 

Kinda like when Marshall wanted to play with Cutler

Eli wanted to play for NY

And how would that team know that?  We aren't setting up a 3 way conference call to ask the player how he feels about it.

Quote:If a player says they don't want to play for a certain team why would that team want to trade for them?  They wouldn't 

Kinda like when Marshall wanted to play with Cutler

Eli wanted to play for NY

In the case of Eugene Monroe,  he's scheduled to be an UFA in 2014.     Being that the Browns have huge dollars tied into Joe Thomas'  contract,   it's doubtful the Browns would have used the Franchise Tag on Monroe.    Hence,  I don't think Monroe would have withheld his services if he was traded to the Browns.    Monroe would have had so much more to lose by doing that than he would have potentially gained.     For 12 games,  plus possible playoff games,    I don't think Monroe would have stood in the way of a trade to the Browns.

Quote:understood.....I just think finding a replacement for Marcedes would have been similarly easy enough to do, even if it was only a stop gap type.

Probably. I'm pretty sure he won't be on the team next year so it will be fine.

Quote:If this is true then I wish he would have shopped him around more. That's kinda disappointing.

yes it is. 

But, I'm the bad guy, right?...

The deals done and he's gone.

time to move on...nothing to see here.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Probably. I'm pretty sure he won't be on the team next year so it will be fine.

I hope he's not. No reason to be. 

Quote:If this is true then I wish he would have shopped him around more. That's kinda disappointing.
I understand that they weren't shopping, they were approached.  Doubt they would have landed a "better" deal if they had.  What they got was very reasonable.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I understand that they weren't shopping, they were approached. Doubt they would have landed a "better" deal if they had. What they got was very reasonable.

True. I was thinking at first their 4 and 5th would be better than Baltimore's but that may not happen.

Quote:yes it is. 

But, I'm the bad guy, right?...
I think we all wish we could of got more but the reality is we probably couldnt.

Quote:In the case of Eugene Monroe,  he's scheduled to be an UFA in 2014.     Being that the Browns have huge dollars tied into Joe Thomas'  contract,   it's doubtful the Browns would have used the Franchise Tag on Monroe.    Hence,  I don't think Monroe would have withheld his services if he was traded to the Browns.    Monroe would have had so much more to lose by doing that than he would have potentially gained.     For 12 games,  plus possible playoff games,    I don't think Monroe would have stood in the way of a trade to the Browns.
And they would have to get him to want to play RT

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I understand that they weren't shopping, they were approached.  Doubt they would have landed a "better" deal if they had.  What they got was very reasonable.

...for a lesser player, playing a non premium position, I'd agree

and, Once approached, wouldn't it have then been good to do some due diligence/ shopping of the player at that point - to try and up the ante?

Quote:And how would that team know that?  We aren't setting up a 3 way conference call to ask the player how he feels about it.
I am sure Caldwell has talked to him about his future and I am sure Monroe told him where he would like to go!

Quote:And they would have to get him to want to play RT

That's correct.    However, it would have been in Eugene Monroe's best interest to play RT for the Browns if traded to Cleveland.      If Monroe decided not to report to Cleveland,   his value on the 2014 open market very likely would have suffered substantially. 

Quote:I am sure Caldwell has talked to him about his future and I am sure Monroe told him where he would like to go!
Did your imaginary friend tell you this?   That's not how it works. 

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 07:22 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:Did your imaginary friend tell you this?   That's not how it works. 
It happens all the time.  It happens more in basketball because a lot more players get traded. 

How did Eli go to NY?  You cant say where you want to be drafted

How did Marshall tell Mia. where he wanted to go? 

Thats how it works, its not supposed to but it does.

Quote: 

He's happy.  He's closer to home. He's got a chance to stay a long time with a team that JUST won the Super Bowl. There can be no animosity or ill will with how this went down.  We weren't going to commit the kind of money he was going to request in free agency.  Good for him.  Ten picks (so far).  We have a lot of needs.  This makes sense.

Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:It happens all the time.  It happens more in basketball because a lot more players get traded. 

How did Eli go to NY?  You cant say where you want to be drafted

How did Marshall tell Mia. where he wanted to go? 

Thats how it works, its not supposed to but it does.
Dude.  Baltimore's GM or representative contacted Caldwell about trading for Monroe. They came to terms.   Monroe didn't have a choice in the matter. All he could have done would be to throw a fit and try to make Baltimore not want him  -  but why would he not want to go to a much, much better team?  

Quote:Probably. I'm pretty sure he won't be on the team next year so it will be fine.

Any 2nd string  (or 3rd string) OT can do Lewis's job...block and have passes bounce off your hands...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

We can't average 21 points the last two years. No nothing better would of came.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags