Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote: :whistling:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=maroon

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013, 02:36 PM by Haterade.)

You start the best player. Joeckel will be a better LT and a better fit for the scheme. Monroe would not come back to play RT, Caldwell would not overpay to have him play RT, and it's doubtful Monroe could even play RT especially with the zoneblocking scheme. This helps ensure we get Teddy, we get more picks to trade up, and more money to spend. Ravens window has closed with Flacco contract and Ray Lewis retired, not like we're giving Monroe to a team on the rise who could threaten our future success.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM by jagherd.)

Quote:When thinking of draft decisions teams very likely regret, one that immediately comes to mind is the Cardinals passing on Adrian Peterson with pick # 5 in 2007. Arizona took Levi Brown instead..
Well, don't you know that LT is a "premium position" and RB doesn't compare? Lol

Just kidding around D6. I know,, Adrian Peterson's case is the outlier. Most times, the above statement would be correct.

Quote:Well that should cause some pause for these know-it-alls.

I doubt it.  There were already conflicting reports saying others were contacted as early as last week.  We don't really know what happened, but some people are going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and some are going to do the opposite.

Quote:I doubt it.  There were already conflicting reports saying others were contacted as early as last week.  We don't really know what happened, but some people are going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and some are going to do the opposite.
That's the key to all this non-sense.

Quote:You start the best player. Joeckel will be a better LT and a better fit for the scheme. Monroe would not come back to play RT, Caldwell would not overpay to have him play RT, and it's doubtful Monroe could even play RT especially with the zoneblocking scheme. This helps ensure we get Teddy, we get more picks to trade up, and more money to spend.

Totally in agreement with this part. 

Just wish we could have got better value in the trade. Ah well. 

Quote:Totally in agreement with this part. 

Just wish we could have got better value in the trade. Ah well. 

You have no idea how the trade market works in the NFL. No one here does. What we do know is that Caldwell took multiple calls from different teams and this is the best offer that he got. That deal was the highest the market was paying, so what was Caldwell supposed to do, say no? He only has 1 more week to ship him off, so you take the deal while its available because its either this or nothing.

Quote:Suspicious of the report that an offer was made -- yet apparently that suspicion may have been misplaced, if O'Halloran's correct. 

Regardless, this shoots a hole in the theory that Caldwell dealt solely with one team without speaking with others.

But here's what I do know:

There are so many various reports circling out there that anyone who thinks they have it all figured out actually has no idea of what really went down.

Is it me, or is the O'Halloran tweet seem fishy to anyone else?

So the Jags and Ravens were working on a deal, then all of a sudden, right as we are about to sign off on the trade the Browns call and say what?  "Oh we heard you were trading Monroe, we would have been interested!"

It just seems really odd that all of a sudden, after the fact, the Browns decide to disclose that they were interested and that they would have traded for what?  Two 5th rounds?  LOL 

It just doesn't pass the sniff test, at least not to me.  Maybe I have the timeline off, but the tweet at face value makes no sense if thought about logically for more than 5 minutes.

Quote:You have no idea how the trade market works in the NFL. No one here does. What we do know is that Caldwell took multiple calls from different teams and this is the best offer that he got. That deal was the highest the market was paying, so what was Caldwell supposed to do, say no? He only has 1 more week to ship him off, so you take the deal while its available because its either this or nothing.

Why did he only have "one more week" to ship him off? :unsure: 

Quote:You start the best player. Joeckel will be a better LT and a better fit for the scheme. Monroe would not come back to play RT, Caldwell would not overpay to have him play RT, and it's doubtful Monroe could even play RT especially with the zoneblocking scheme.

Caldwell drafted Joeckel knowing that he'd have to get rid of the Jags (arguably) best player for essentially nothing in order to make room for Joeckel. That's pretty poor advanced planning no matter how you spin it.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Is it me, or is the O'Halloran tweet seem fishy to anyone else?

So the Jags and Ravens were working on a deal, then all of a sudden, right as we are about to sign off on the trade the Browns call and say what?  "Oh we heard you were trading Monroe, we would have been interested!"

It just seems really odd that all of a sudden, after the fact, the Browns decide to disclose that they were interested and that they would have traded for what?  Two 5th rounds?  LOL 

It just doesn't pass the sniff test, at least not to me.  Maybe I have the timeline off, but the tweet at face value makes no sense if thought about logically for more than 5 minutes.

So O'Halloran made it up? Do you think he is a shill for the team?

;

;

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 09:05 AM by ATLjag.)

Quote:Caldwell drafted Joeckel knowing that he'd have to get rid of the Jags (arguably) best player for essentially nothing in order to make room for Joeckel. That's pretty poor advanced planning no matter how you spin it.
If Caldwell knew he wanted to jettison Monroe upon picking Joeckel at draft time, then he could have traded Monroe before the season started and received better draft picks in return.  Unfortunately, in my mind, Caldwell made a fairly recent determination that he did not want to pay Monroe after the season to keep him.  Part of this determination result was possibly that Joeckel was out of position at RT (was not becoming a dominant RT), and having two LTs was a luxury when draft picks are needed to rebuild.     

Quote:If Caldwell knew he wanted to jettison Monroe upon picking Joeckel at draft time, then he could have traded Monroe before the season started and received better draft picks in return.  Unfortunately, in my mind, Caldwell made a fairly recent determination that he did not want to pay Monroe after the season to keep him.  Part of this determination result was possibly that Joeckel was out of position at RT (was not becoming a dominant RT), and having two LTs was a luxury when draft picks are needed to rebuild.     

Which lends credence to my take - that the situation was mismanaged. I don't have an issue with drafting and playing the better OLT prospect at OLT, but between the draft & now, Caldwell handled things poorly, culminating in only getting a scant return for a pretty good football player. 

Quote:Which lends credence to my take - that the situation was mismanaged. I don't have an issue with drafting and playing the better OLT prospect at OLT, but between the draft & now, Caldwell handled things poorly, culminating in only getting a scant return for a pretty good football player.

We have three offers to go off of. Levi Brown netted a conditional 7th, ravens offered 4th and 5th, and the browns offer was worse than the ravens. Your theory of only getting a "scanty return" is just that, a theory. I honestly think we all overvalued Monroe's worth.

Quote:So O'Halloran made it up? Do you think he is a shill for the team?

I'm not surprised by anything anymore.  Maybe he was fed that information.  What was his source?  If it was the Jaguar front office, then yeah, I'd be skeptical.  You don't think that large organizations don't try to manipulate the media? 

Quote:Why did he only have "one more week" to ship him off? :unsure:

Trade deadline is week 6 is it not? I could be wrong but I know its sometime midseason.

Quote:Trade deadline is week 6 is it not? I could be wrong but I know its sometime midseason.

Oct 29, thats almost another month. 

Quote:Which lends credence to my take - that the situation was mismanaged. I don't have an issue with drafting and playing the better OLT prospect at OLT, but between the draft & now, Caldwell handled things poorly, culminating in only getting a scant return for a pretty good football player.

He got something of value for a player they weren't re-signing. It remains to be seen if it will be a good move or not at this point. If those extra picks allow us to get a player who can genuinely help this team, it's a good move. Until we see how they handle it in May, nobody knows for certain, including you.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:We have three offers to go off of. Levi Brown netted a conditional 7th, ravens offered 4th and 5th, and the browns offer was worse than the ravens. Your theory of only getting a "scanty return" is just that, a theory. I honestly think we all overvalued Monroe's worth.

If you ever watched a game of football in your life you'd never make a Monroe/Brown comparison. Thanks for clarifying your football knowledge for us.

Quote:He got something of value for a player they weren't re-signing. It remains to be seen if it will be a good move or not at this point. If those extra picks allow us to get a player who can genuinely help this team, it's a good move. Until we see how they handle it in May, nobody knows for certain, including you.
Nice cop-out.

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2013, 06:57 AM by Banatha.)

I dont care whether the player was shopped around and had no higher bidders. Other teams are no doubt suspicious when a young starting LT is being given away for 4th rounders. Its so rarely done, other teams may have thought Monroe was done or had an injury.

The people that view this as the best that we could get, should ask why it got that far. Monroe never indicated he was holding out or gone like an impasse had occurred. There were no reports from his agent they rejected an extension. You at least try to resign your Top ten first round left tackle. They are not a dime a dozen and the posters who say left tackle is not a premium position apparently dont watch the draft. Teams draft them #1 for a reason. They are not easily replaced, just look at our #2 pick last year, he may someday be as good as Monroe, but he isn't now. So we waste a #2 pick to downgrade at LT, then give away our other top ten tackle for a couple of potential special teamers. Brilliant. If the argument is that Luke cant play RT, and should never have been drafted for the position, then Dave is covering his butt for last years mistake by keeping the lessor of two players. Another screwup. Luke may never be a dominant LT. He certainly is not proven like Monroe and that certainty and stability is valuable. More than two 4th round unknowns is worth.

I would have felt better about cutting our losses early before luke loses more value and trading Luke for a 2nd round Road grading RT than giving up our still young and healthy quality LT for special team fodder.