Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Usa Today... Alabama Vs Jacksonville

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/could-al...e-jaguars/

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">The Jacksonville Jaguars are on pace to be historically awful. They’ve been defeated by an average of 24.5 points during their 0-4 start, which is nine more points per game than Detroit was outscored by in its winless 2008 season.

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">About 400 miles to the west, the Alabama Crimson Tide appear to be rolling toward a third-straight national championship game.

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">If ever there was a year where the best college football team could beat the worst NFL team, this would be it, right?

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">Not even close.

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">According to John Ewing of Prediction Machinethe woeful Jags would beat the powerful Crimson Tide in 91% of games on a neutral field. The average score of the simulations is 32-13 in favor of the Jags. In other words, Jacksonville beats Alabama by about the same margin as Alabama beats Colorado State.

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">Interestingly, the Jaguars only had a 5% chance of beating Seattle during the team’s Week 3 game at CenturyLink Field, meaning Jacksonville had less of a chance to beat an NFL team than Alabama would at beating Jacksonville. So though it’s far-fetched for an NFL also-ran to lose to an NCAA powerhouse, there’s still a slightchance it could happen. If every dog has its day, why can’t Blaine Gabbert?

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">Ewing ran some other numbers to get context on how bad the 2013 Jaguars are. He found that in a matchup between this team and the expansion Jaguars from 1995, the expansion team would win 65% of the time. Impressively, Jacksonville is somehow worse than it was as an NFL newbie.

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);"> 

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);"> 

<p style="margin-left:0px;font-size:.9em;color:rgb(34,34,34);">My take. When I saw the headline I couldn't believe it. This is a ridiculous article.  :down: 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/could-al...e-jaguars/

<p style="font-size:.9em;">The Jacksonville Jaguars are on pace to be historically awful. They’ve been defeated by an average of 24.5 points during their 0-4 start, which is nine more points per game than Detroit was outscored by in its winless 2008 season.

<p style="font-size:.9em;">About 400 miles to the west, the Alabama Crimson Tide appear to be rolling toward a third-straight national championship game.

<p style="font-size:.9em;">If ever there was a year where the best college football team could beat the worst NFL team, this would be it, right?

<p style="font-size:.9em;">Not even close.

<p style="font-size:.9em;">According to John Ewing of Prediction Machinethe woeful Jags would beat the powerful Crimson Tide in 91% of games on a neutral field. The average score of the simulations is 32-13 in favor of the Jags. In other words, Jacksonville beats Alabama by about the same margin as Alabama beats Colorado State.

<p style="font-size:.9em;">Interestingly, the Jaguars only had a 5% chance of beating Seattle during the team’s Week 3 game at CenturyLink Field, meaning Jacksonville had less of a chance to beat an NFL team than Alabama would at beating Jacksonville. So though it’s far-fetched for an NFL also-ran to lose to an NCAA powerhouse, there’s still a slightchance it could happen. If every dog has its day, why can’t Blaine Gabbert?

<p style="font-size:.9em;">Ewing ran some other numbers to get context on how bad the 2013 Jaguars are. He found that in a matchup between this team and the expansion Jaguars from 1995, the expansion team would win 65% of the time. Impressively, Jacksonville is somehow worse than it was as an NFL newbie.

<p style="font-size:.9em;"> 

<p style="font-size:.9em;">---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<p style="font-size:.9em;"> 

<p style="font-size:.9em;">My take. When I saw the headline I couldn't believe it. This is a ridiculous article.  :down:

But you clicked on it just like hundreds of thousands of others will.  That's all that matters to USA Today.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM by t-rex.)

Quote: But you clicked on it just like hundreds of thousands of others will.  That's all that matters to USA Today.

Fair point. Sensationalism over legit journalism. If I have to answer one more question about "what would happen if college team X played NFL team Y?"... I think I am going to scream!

We wonder how the general public could be so dumb. Then we see stories like this in the nations largest newspaper and we wonder no more.

Quote:http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/could-al...e-jaguars/

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">The Jacksonville Jaguars are on pace to be historically awful. They’ve been defeated by an average of 24.5 points during their 0-4 start, which is nine more points per game than Detroit was outscored by in its winless 2008 season.

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">About 400 miles to the west, the Alabama Crimson Tide appear to be rolling toward a third-straight national championship game.

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">If ever there was a year where the best college football team could beat the worst NFL team, this would be it, right?

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">Not even close.

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">According to John Ewing of Prediction Machinethe woeful Jags would beat the powerful Crimson Tide in 91% of games on a neutral field. The average score of the simulations is 32-13 in favor of the Jags. In other words, Jacksonville beats Alabama by about the same margin as Alabama beats Colorado State.

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">Interestingly, the Jaguars only had a 5% chance of beating Seattle during the team’s Week 3 game at CenturyLink Field, meaning Jacksonville had less of a chance to beat an NFL team than Alabama would at beating Jacksonville. So though it’s far-fetched for an NFL also-ran to lose to an NCAA powerhouse, there’s still a slightchance it could happen. If every dog has its day, why can’t Blaine Gabbert?

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">Ewing ran some other numbers to get context on how bad the 2013 Jaguars are. He found that in a matchup between this team and the expansion Jaguars from 1995, the expansion team would win 65% of the time. Impressively, Jacksonville is somehow worse than it was as an NFL newbie.

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(34,34,34);font-size:.9em;margin-left:0px;">My take. When I saw the headline I couldn't believe it. This is a ridiculous article.  :down:

As far as the '95 Jags go they had the advantageous draft rules along with the draft pool from the other 30 NFL teams. That, along with the fact that they had no money tied up at all allowed them to bring some truly NFL caliber players to Jacksonville. It also helped when Carolina picked Kerry Collins, allowing the Jags to select Tony Boselli, giving us a Pro-Bowl LT.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Jacksonville- 31

Alabama-3

B. Gabbert- 20-30, 310 yds, 3 TD

M. Jones-Drew- 17 car, 102 yds, TD

J. Blackmon- 7 rep, 140 yds, TD

C. Shorts III- 8 rep, 135 yds, TD

A. Sanders- 2 rep, 42 yds, TD

Quote:Fair point. Sensationalism over legit journalism. If I have to answer one more question about "what would happen if college team X played NFL team Y?"... I think I am going to scream!

We wonder how the general public could be so dumb. Then we see stories like this in the nations largest newspaper and we wonder no more.

And yet you posted it on here to talk about it more. You sir are a troll.

Quote:Fair point. Sensationalism over legit journalism. If I have to answer one more question about "what would happen if college team X played NFL team Y?"... I think I am going to scream!

Quote:And yet you posted it on here to talk about it more. You sir are a troll.

He was just building on the point I brought up.  There was no trolling.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 11:42 PM by Adam2012.)

All you have to know is that Steve Spurrier is involved.

He's a journalist's best friend.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Jacksonville- 31

Alabama-3

looks about right and we dont even get to use our secret weapon legatron 

Anybody who thinks a college team of any level can even score agaisnt an NFL team is a complete moron.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:Anybody who thinks a college team of any level can even score agaisnt an NFL team is a complete moron.
^^^ couldn't have said it better myself

Quote:Jacksonville- 31

Alabama-3

Gabbert wouldn't complete anywhere near that many passes and I'm not even exaggerating.

Alabama would scare this kid.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Anybody who thinks a college team of any level can even score agaisnt an NFL team is a complete moron.
They don't have to. Just let Gabbert throw pick sixes and do his thing

Why are people upset about this? You do realize this is aimed at the idiots who always say Alabama could beat the Jags right? Context people, context.

If the Jags started Stanzi the Manzi, the would crush Alabama. Stanzi owns SEC teams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...--nfl.html

At least they aren't saying we'd lose to a college team :\

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdo...--nfl.html

At least they aren't saying we'd lose to a college team :\
http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...ksonville/

Quote:Gabbert wouldn't complete anywhere near that many passes and I'm not even exaggerating.

You're right, Gabbert wouldn't complete 20 passes against Alabama. Because he would never need to throw 20 passes.

The talent gap between NFL and college is massive; Joeckel was one of the best players in college last season, this season's he's in the NFL and until Monroe was traded he wasn't even the best guy in his unit.

It was nice reading the top comments. At least some common sense still prevails among NFL fans.

Quote:Gabbert wouldn't complete anywhere near that many passes and I'm not even exaggerating.

I'm not sure he could throw for 310 yards in skele.