Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thank You Gene Smith

I hate Gene Smith as much as I hate M. Night Shyamalan for making the Last Airbender. Yeah, that much.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:LOL.  Literally half of the players on the field had nothing to do with Gene Smith. 

At face value...this is true.

However, but for the dumpster fire Gene Smith created, the whole scale roster turnover that we see now would not be necessary.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

The sad part is I think Mr. Khan is still having to pay the clown. Didn't Mr. Weaver extend his contract right before the sale?

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Thanks Gene... For helping to make this team so bad we get the #1 pick this year... AND GET TEDDY B!

Where can I get an "Anger" jersey...

Most utilized player that we have ever drafted.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:I hate Gene Smith as much as I hate M. Night Shyamalan for making the Last Airbender. Yeah, that much.

For me, it's George Lucas for Jar Jar Binks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I will vote for Gene to be inducted in the HOS (Hall-Of-Shame).

Quote:Where can I get an "Anger" jersey...

Well, it would appear they believe using him as much as possible may somehow validate his draft position.  :teehee:

Quote:It's Caldwell's fault for not overdrafting a marginal QB in a poor draft year? At least we aren't the Rams. They had a 2nd overall pick in the luck/rg 3 class and traded out. At least we will be awful with a better QB class.

He didn't even attempt to at least add to the QB position. He hung his hat on Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. The same QBs who gave us 2-14 last year. There are many ways to add to the position other than the draft. Alex Smith was available for trade, Brian Boyer was a free agent and arguably Foles was available for trade after the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley.

Caldwell outright neglected the position and therefore should share part of the blame for this ugly product on the field.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:He didn't even attempt to at least add to the QB position. He hung his hat on Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. The same QBs who gave us 2-14 last year. There are many ways to add to the position other than the draft. Alex Smith was available for trade, Brian Boyer was a free agent and arguably Foles was available for trade after the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley.

Caldwell outright neglected the position and therefore should share part of the blame for this ugly product on the field.

So we could have trade for Alex Smith, but not gotten Cyprien, and then given up a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year?  That would have been better?

Hoyer was pretty bad until this year.  QBR last year was 65.8 for the Cardinals.

And no, Foles was not <i>arguably</i> available to trade.  Andy Reid inquired, and the Eagles said no.  

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...nick-foles

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:He didn't even attempt to at least add to the QB position. He hung his hat on Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. The same QBs who gave us 2-14 last year. There are many ways to add to the position other than the draft. Alex Smith was available for trade, Brian Boyer was a free agent and arguably Foles was available for trade after the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley.

Good. He should have. The best QB option is in the 2014 draft.

TEST

Quote:At face value...this is true.

However, but for the dumpster fire Gene Smith created, the whole scale roster turnover that we see now would not be necessary.

Not all of the roster turnover was 'necessary.' Some of it was Caldwell wanting to clean house, just as Gene did in 2009.

One only has to compare the Jags with Oakland. They had just as much, if not more roster turnover, and no cap room to sign anyone good. Yet they destroyed the Jags and are a competitive team.

How do you explain the difference? Players? Coaching? QB? Couldn't Caldwell find a QB as good as Terrell $%##ing Pryor?

Henne did win games with the fish, and I don't remember their offense ever looking that bad. He's probably nowhere near as bad as he looks with the Jags.

I think a lot has to do with coaching. I expected Meester to decline, but Nwaneri has never been this bad. Rackley was not a reach when Gene drafted him, he was listed among the top OGs that year. Joeckel has shown no improvement. Even Monroe isn't playing as well as he did last year.

Caldwell is not innocent in this either. Rebuilding sure, but there were free agents available who could be long-term solutions, the most obvious being OT. Of course with the current coaching that may not have actually helped. How about claiming Danny Watkins off of waivers? He was a bust in Philly, but could he really be worse than Rackley?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

This is more of Shack's fault than Gene's.

Byron Leftwich

Reggie Williams

Matt Jones

Marcedes Lewis

Reggie Nelson

Derrick Harvey

Yuck.

At least Gene's 1st round picks look much better.

It's been incredibly obvious to anyone with eyes that the Jaguars had their eyes on the 2014 draft once David Caldwell took over, shortly after the 2013 NFL Draft Jason Cole reported “David Caldwell would spend a good portion of the season studying QB prospects like Teddy Bridgewater and Tajh Boyd", that same article said Jacksonville was “only too happy

” to see teams like the Bills and Jets draft quarterbacks in the early rounds of the most recent NFL draft, which means there should be less competition in next year’s top quarterbacks. .

If Cole's article is somewhat accurate (that seems to be the case) it would make zero sense to waste a draft pick on a stop gab like an Alex Smith/NickFoles, or any of the mediocre QB's in the 2013 draft. I don't think you realize how elite the QB talent is in the 2014 NFL draft, it’s arguably the best crop in the last 15 years with one of the highest rated QB prospects in the last 15 years. This season is about evaluating the players on the current roster while positioning ourselves to select a QB that can singlehandedly expedite a rebuilding process, so please, try not to get too emotionally invested in this season, because there is a bigger picture.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 01:35 PM by dennisp3.)

Quote:Thanks Gene... For helping to make this team so bad we get the #1 pick this year... AND GET TEDDY B!
I don't know why everyone is so gung ho on teddy. He plays in a conference with little or on competition, he has very little pressure to deal with, so most quarterbacks will excel under those conditions. I'm not against drafting him but I also think there are other choices just as good or maybe better, I personally like Murray playing for the bulldogs he has great accuracy down field and has had success through out most of the college career. There is Manziel and AJ "Mccarron and others to consider. I think it would be best to wait until the end of the college season to evaluate the quarterbacks

Quote:This is more of Shack's fault than Gene's.

Byron Leftwich

Reggie Williams

Matt Jones

Marcedes Lewis

Reggie Nelson

Derrick Harvey

Yuck.

At least Gene's 1st round picks look much better.

Gene was just as responsible as Shack for the 2008 draft; both were given equal say before that draft. Leftwich was playing well before his injury. Williams and Jones were drug abusers, although they were clean coming out of college, so it's hard to blame Shack for that (although I thought Williams was a huge mistake at the time). Marcedes and Reggie Nelson are still NFL starters.

Rashean Mathis

Daryl Smith

Greg Jones

Khalif Barnes

MJD

Justin Durant

Shack's 2nd round picks look better than Gene's 1sts, and Gene hit on ZERO 2nd round picks unless you count Derek Cox.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think, except for Mathis who retired after 10 seasons, all of Shack's 2nd round picks are still playing and contributing somewhere. It was Gene and Caldwell who chose to let them go.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Where can I get an "Anger" jersey...

they say dont draft a player early when youre barely going to use them. boy were they wrong. 

Quote:I don't know why everyone is so gung ho on teddy. He plays in a conference with little or on competition, he has very little pressure to deal with, so most quarterbacks will excel under those conditions. I'm not against drafting him but I also think there are other choices just as good or maybe better, I like personally like Murray playing for the bulldogs he has great accuracy down field and has had success through out most of the college career. There is Manziel and AJ "Mccarron and others to consider. I think it would be best to wait until the end of the college season to evaluate the quarterbacks

Please stop with the competition argument because it holds no water, he torched (arguably) the best defense in the country last year in the Sugar Bowl, he plays in a BCS conference, (you’re acting as if he plays for a Division 1 AA team) he's the most consistent QB in college football, and has elite traits and physical ability (pocket presence, poise, accuracy etc) that should transfer over to the NFL seamlessly. If NFL scouts were focused solely on competition, neither Joe Flacco nor Steve McNair would’ve been first round picks. BTW, both Connecticut and Rutgers have fielded defenses that can compete in any conference in college football. Bridgewater is the real deal and will probably rate just behind Andrew Luck as far as recent quarterback prospects.

Quote:Blame Caldwell:

"Lets blow it all up and start from scratch"

You remember that? Well enjoy the fruits of your requests.

QFT. Caldwell and Bradley own this team. This team is 60% new players and the players they replaced seem to have found jobs on other teams. This fan base want's to blame one person ALL THE TIME because it's what simpletons do.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

Quote:QFT. Caldwell and Bradley own this team. This team is 60% new players and the players they replaced seem to have found jobs on other teams. This fan base want's to blame one person ALL THE TIME because it's what simpletons do.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

I think Gene deserves a huge part of the blame for where this franchise is.  All of it?  No, a majority of it, yes.  He was the worst GM in the last 10 years.  He drafted a punter in the 3rd, gave up a 2nd round pick to move up and get Blaine Gabbert, over drafted Alualu by possibly an entire round and hired a sorry [BLEEP] coach in Murlarkey.  It was one monumental mistake after another.  Caldwell and Bradley's tenure here will be defined over the next few years.  You seem to be defining it in 4 games.