Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thank You Gene Smith

Quote:This is more of Shack's fault than Gene's.

Byron Leftwich

Reggie Williams

Matt Jones

Marcedes Lewis

Reggie Nelson

Derrick Harvey

Yuck.

At least Gene's 1st round picks look much better.

Sarcasm?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think Gene deserves a huge part of the blame for where this franchise is.  All of it?  No, a majority of it, yes.  He was the worst GM in the last 10 years.  He drafted a punter in the 3rd, gave up a 2nd round pick to move up and get Blaine Gabbert, over drafted Alualu by possibly an entire round and hired a sorry ********** coach in Murlarkey.  It was one monumental mistake after another.  Caldwell and Bradley's tenure here will be defined over the next few years.  You seem to be defining it in 4 games.  

Seems like some people still believe in Gene.  

It's not his fault!  It's Caldwell's.  Gene Smith got 4 years, all of which were wonderful successes.  We made the playoffs each of those 4 years, and improved each year.  His drafting was impeccable.  When is he eligible for the hall of fame?  It's just a pity he had to retire after just 4 short years.  

Caldwell however is terrible!  This is his roster that he's had all of an entire offseason to build.  He didn't trade a 2nd and a 3rd for Alex Smith!  He didn't pick up Brian Hoyer.  He didn't even trade for Nick Foles!  Can you believe that.  The Eagles said outright they weren't interested in Trading him!  And he didn't even try to trade for a player they didn't want to trade! 

Unbelievable.  The lengths some people will go to defend that scrub Caldwell.

Time to fire him and Bradley and start all over again next week.  We can't wait until the end of the season even!  No!  This team isn't getting any better, I'm not willing to wait until the end of the season and see what he does next year.  He doesn't deserve that.  Gene Smith only got 4 years!  Why should Caldwell get 1.5?

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM by Cleatwood.)

Quote:I don't know why everyone is so gung ho on teddy. He plays in a conference with little or on competition, he has very little pressure to deal with, so most quarterbacks will excel under those conditions. I'm not against drafting him but I also think there are other choices just as good or maybe better, I personally like Murray playing for the bulldogs he has great accuracy down field and has had success through out most of the college career. There is Manziel and AJ "Mccarron and others to consider. I think it would be best to wait until the end of the college season to evaluate the quarterbacks
SEC homer I see... You didn't even mention the 2nd best college QB in Boyd. Don't know why in the world you would want Manziel.

8 out of 32 starting QB's are from the SEC (thats including Blaine from Mizzou when they weren't in the SEC,  and Tannehill with Texas A&M) So that's really 6.

Teddy is head and shoulders above the other QB's in this draft class. (thats not just me talking but every analyst out there)

Quote:, gave up a 2nd round pick to move up and get Blaine Gabbert, 

It's funny how this fan base has such a short memory. Everyone around here, you included, were screaming for a new QB because all of our problems were Garrard's inconsistency and we had to move up to get a franchise QB. Everyone wanted a new QB and Gabbert, Newton and Locker were all considered to be the best by the experts. Gene listened to you and did exactly what the fans wanted. Now you all won't admit that what you wanted, is what you got.

I'm not defining Gus and Dave's tenure by 4 games at all. Nonetheless, they had all off season, training camp, and preseason to assemble this roster so they own it.

They also own the coaching staff who calls a run up the middle late in the 3rd period down by 27 points.

Regards.......................the Chiefjag

Quote:It's funny how this fan base has such a short memory. Everyone around here, you included, were screaming for a new QB because all of our problems were Garrard's inconsistency and we had to move up to get a franchise QB. Everyone wanted a new QB and Gabbert, Newton and Locker were all considered to be the best by the experts. Gene listened to you and did exactly what the fans wanted. Now you all won't admit that what you wanted, is what you got.

I'm not defining Gus and Dave's tenure by 4 games at all. Nonetheless, they had all off season, training camp, and preseason to assemble this roster so they own it.

They also own the coaching staff who calls a run up the middle late in the 3rd period down by 27 points.

What would you rather them do? Let Blaine throw another incompletion or interception?

Quote:SEC homer I see... You didn't even mention the 2nd best college QB in Boyd. Don't know why in the world you would want Manziel.

8 out of 32 starting QB's are from the SEC (thats including Blaine from Mizzou when they weren't in the SEC,  and Tannehill with Texas A&M) So that's really 6.

Teddy is head and shoulders above the other QB's in this draft class. (thats not just me talking but every analyst out there)
You mean the same experts who had Gabbert as the second best when he was drafted?  

<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:It's funny how this fan base has such a short memory. Everyone around here, you included, were screaming for a new QB because all of our problems were Garrard's inconsistency and we had to move up to get a franchise QB. Everyone wanted a new QB and Gabbert, Newton and Locker were all considered to be the best by the experts. Gene listened to you and did exactly what the fans wanted. Now you all won't admit that what you wanted, is what you got.

Everyone was screaming for a new Quarterback because it was time for a new Quarterback.  This team went far too long without taking a QB.  We had hoped that Gene Smith would have done something outrageous like... pick a Quarterback that isn't a bust.  Trading up for a QB is fine.  Trading up for a QB that turns out to be a bust?  Not fine.

They had a single offseason to fix this roster.  The problem is this roster's problems date back to the Shack Attack Era.  We didn't get this bad overnight.  Caldwell and Bradley can only do so much in a single offseason.  The QB just wasn't there.

And again with Jedd Fisch-- he was signed to a one year contract.  He was never meant to be the solution, he was what was available.  Availability matters a lot.  You can't get what's not there.  I won't be surprised if Fisch is not re-signed.  

Quote:The problem is this roster's problems date back to the Shack Attack Era.
The problems date back to the tail end of the Coughlin years. The cap management was the problem. The coaching was frustrating at times but in hindsight man that angry guy sure can coach. I'll admit I was wrong to pick up the Pitch Fork when we got rid of Tom. My bad.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote: 

They had a single offseason to fix this roster.  The problem is this roster's problems date back to the Shack Attack Era.  We didn't get this bad overnight.  Caldwell and Bradley can only do so much in a single offseason.  The QB just wasn't there.

It's too simple to point the finger, like the OP did, at just one man. That's my issue. Shack drafted poorly too but the ones from his draft that are still on the team are on the team because they have talent. Guys like Marcedes, MJD, Meester, and Nwaineri but they are still on the team because Gus and Dave wanted them.

That's the point, the players on this roster are on the roster because Gus and Dave wanted them. There are plenty of players on practice squads they could have signed if they thought they were improvements but apparently they weren't.

Regards........................the Chiefjag

Quote:It's too simple to point the finger, like the OP did, at just one man. That's my issue. Shack drafted poorly too but the ones from his draft that are still on the team are on the team because they have talent. Guys like Marcedes, MJD, Meester, and Nwaineri but they are still on the team because Gus and Dave wanted them.

That's the point, the players on this roster are on the roster because Gus and Dave wanted them. There are plenty of players on practice squads they could have signed if they thought they were improvements but apparently they weren't.

My main point is that you can't really blame Caldwell at this point, because he's had just one offseason to do anything. Availability is a big issue. 

I doubt Dave and Gus wanted some of the players on the roster, but they didn't have much choice.  Why trade two 2nd round picks for Alex Smith?  That'll put us back where we were during the Shack Era -- capable of winning a few games a year, but playoffs pretty much out of the question except in the odd year where our QB throws 3 interceptions the whole season.

Quote:He didn't even attempt to at least add to the QB position. He hung his hat on Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne. The same QBs who gave us 2-14 last year. There are many ways to add to the position other than the draft. Alex Smith was available for trade, Brian Boyer was a free agent and arguably Foles was available for trade after the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley.

Caldwell outright neglected the position and therefore should share part of the blame for this ugly product on the field.
 (Emphasis added)

This is patently false.

This offseason he signed Matt Scott and Jordan Rodgers.  He also signed Stanzi, who is on the roster now.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I didn't want to trade a 2nd round pick to move up and get one, no.  Also, it doesn't matter what we wanted.  It matters what the GM delivers.  I'm not a GM.  We all have opinions, but the proof is in the pudding.  Gene failed and he did so miserably.

How much time did you give Gene Smith?  

Yes, they have had one off season to rebuild a roster that was built by arguably the worst GM in 10 years so I can see how we should expect them to succeed right out of the gate...  

Quote:It's too simple to point the finger, like the OP did, at just one man. That's my issue. Shack drafted poorly too but the ones from his draft that are still on the team are on the team because they have talent. Guys like Marcedes, MJD, Meester, and Nwaineri but they are still on the team because Gus and Dave wanted them.

Wanted them...  You can't get rid of everyone.  We have no idea if they wanted them.  They may think they are better players then what is on the practice squad.  We will see just how bad they want those guys you mentioned above when the next off season rolls around and we are more active in free agency.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:I didn't want to trade a 2nd round pick to move up and get one, no.  Also, it doesn't matter what we wanted.  It matters what the GM delivers.  I'm not a GM.  We all have opinions, but the proof is in the pudding.  Gene failed and he did so miserably.

How much time did you give Gene Smith?  

Yes, they have had one off season to rebuild a roster that was built by arguably the worst GM in 10 years so I can see how we should expect them to succeed right out of the gate...  

So how do you explain Oakland being clearly better in spite of being in a worse rebuilding position than the Jags this year? Oakland is starting nine new players on defense. Not premium players. They couldn't afford to sign any premium players. Oakland is starting nine bargain basement free agents on their defense who weren't there last year. They slaughtered the Jags two weeks ago, and are playing competitively in their other games.

For three years I listened to "In Gene we Trust."

Now it's "In Caldwell we Trust" ???
  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

What makes you think Caldwell is better than Gene Smith? Because he couldn't be any worse?

Guess what? The team is worse.  Much worse.  Historically bad.

I didn't trust Gene, I don't trust Caldwell.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:So how do you explain Oakland being clearly better in spite of being in a worse rebuilding position than the Jags this year? Oakland is starting nine new players on defense. Not premium players. They couldn't afford to sign any premium players. Oakland is starting nine bargain basement free agents on their defense who weren't there last year. They slaughtered the Jags two weeks ago, and are playing competitively in their other games.

For three years I listened to "In Gene we Trust."

Now it's "In Caldwell we Trust" ???
  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

What makes you think Caldwell is better than Gene Smith? Because he couldn't be any worse?

Guess what? The team is worse.  Much worse.  Historically bad.

I didn't trust Gene, I don't trust Caldwell.

It's not "In Caldwell we trust".  I was never part of the "In Gene We Trust" group.

But you have to give the man time.

Also the Raiders didn't really 'slaughter' us.  They won by 10 points.  Darren McFadden was why.  MJD has taken a sharp decline.  If he was at the same level as he was last year, I think we might have actually won that game.

Quote:It's not "In Caldwell we trust".  I was never part of the "In Gene We Trust" group.

But you have to give the man time.

Also the Raiders didn't really 'slaughter' us.  They won by 10 points.  Darren McFadden was why.  MJD has taken a sharp decline.  If he was at the same level as he was last year, I think we might have actually won that game.

We have to give the man time. I just disagree with the rosy defense of his performance so far. At this point we don't know if he's any better than Gene Smith.

It was a 'slaughter'. The Jags were down by 16 until scoring with less than 3 minutes left. McFadden had been pretty much a bust his entire career and averaged less than 30 yards per game in Oakland's other three games this year. Don't you think the Jags [lack of] run defense might have been part of the problem?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 05:05 PM by knarnn.)

Quote: (Emphasis added)

This is patently false.

This offseason he signed Matt Scott and Jordan Rodgers. He also signed Stanzi, who is on the roster now.
Camp arms. All 31 other NFL franchises also signed camp arms as well. Whoopty friggin do. Also Stanzi was added to back up Henne while Gabbert was hurt. He was cut last week unless I missed the press release on them bringing him back.

If this is what you consider adding to the position then we have opposite definitions of this term.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Sarcasm?

Nope.

The only Gene first round bust is Gabbert, and its a huge one, compounded by the fact that Gene moved up.

Monroe is struggling now, but has been a good player for us. Alualu hasn't been the 10th pick of the draft, but he's been OK. And Blackmon may be the best player on the team.

When I see Shack's first picks:

Leftwich - I'm OK with this one. Wasn't putrid, but he wasn't good enough.

Reggie Williams - INEXCUSABLE to pick a drug addict that can't even catch with his hands, much less with the 9th overall pick.

Matt Jones- INEXCUSABLE to pick another drug addict that doesn't even like football.

Marcedes Lewis - This pick was ok.

Reggie Nelson - ANOTHER player who didn't care. After he was traded, he worked harder and is now a serviceable player.

Derrick Harvey - YET AGAIN ANOTHER player who doesn't give a crap, and we traded a boatload of picks to move up. DISGUSTING.

When I see Gene's drafts, I see players that had potential, but a lot of them had injury problems and that's what really held them back(Britton, Cox, Zach Miller, Alualu, D'Anthony Smith). The problem with Shack's first round picks wasn't injuries, it was that fact that they were horrible football players and they didn't care about being good. A GM may not be able to predict injuries, but they sure can interview these players and tell if they have the work ethic required to be a good player.

Shack was given 6 years, and Gene was given 4. I firmly believe if tenures were flip-flopped, we'd be in a better situation.