Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Maurice Drew Is Done

Quote:I don't make excuses and I think most posters on the board will agree that Greg Jones was one of the best blocking fullbacks if not the best in the NFL. Your comment was about MJD not Todman and I have not seen much out of any running back during the season due to the line play.

Yeah, the comment was about MoJo, but when theres a backup RB on the same team and he runs behind the same OL/ FB and looks more impressive than the starter, then it kinda destroys your Greg Jones point. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:lol I'm gonna bump this thread in a few weeks

I hope you do. 

Quote:Its not about "random trade offers" its about having intelligence about the game. You clearly have none if you don't think MoJo could have netted a 2nd rounder 2 years ago, simply because the offer wasn't placed in front of your blinded eyes. At that point MoJo was at peak value. A RB needy team reasonably would have parted with the 2nd. The Jags didn't trade him not because there were no offers, but because they simply didn't want to trade him. 
The offer wasn't placed in front of yours either. 

Had this team received anything even remotely close to a 2nd, they would have pulled the trigger.  Teams did inquire during his holdout, but they weren't offering anything close to a 2nd round pick if the reports were accurate.  He was looking to be the highest paid running back in the league coming off a 1600 yard rushing season.  He wasn't worth a 2nd, or the salary he demanded. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The offer wasn't placed in front of yours either. 

Had this team received anything even remotely close to a 2nd, they would have pulled the trigger.  Teams did inquire during his holdout, but they weren't offering anything close to a 2nd round pick if the reports were accurate.  He was looking to be the highest paid running back in the league coming off a 1600 yard rushing season.  He wasn't worth a 2nd, or the salary he demanded. 

I disagree. 

I actually remember reading reports of alleged 2nd round trade offers during his holdout and that was last year...so if he could have netted a 2nd rounder in 2012, he surely could have in 2011, a year younger....

Quote:I think he's probably afraid to really pound it because he's trying to preserve the product for the next contract.  Unfortunately, he's a little late for that. 

If that was the case though, why did he play against Seattle?  He easily could have said, "Hey, I dont feel good today."

Quote:I disagree. 

I actually remember reading reports of alleged 2nd round trade offers during his holdout and that was last year...so if he could have netted a 2nd rounder in 2012, he surely could have in 2011, a year younger....

Produce a link. I never saw anything of the sort, so I'm pretty sure you read it in your diary.

"Dear diary.  I got a call today from someone saying they would trade me a second rounder for Maurice Jones Drew.  They also said they'd throw in a Barbie Dreamhouse, and a case of multi-colored glitter.  I'm holding out for the magic pony before I pull the trigger.

Love,

Chihuahua"

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM by MightyRx.)

Meester and Rackley are the reason there is no running room. When defenders are in his face as he takes the handoff, not to many backs would be successful.

Any one with NFL rewind, take a look at the Jaguars 1st play where Rackley whiffs on the DT.
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Quote:He should have been "moved" 2 years ago. But ownership (back then) listened to a lot of these clueless fans I suppose. 

It was clear by that time that by the time the Jags were going to be good again, Drew would likely be on the downside of his career. The Jags were rebuilding, you don't rebuild with a RB of his age. 

Okay, I get that. But, that is kinda crying over spilled milk. Gene Smith wasn't going to trade the one cog that was holding his job together. If he traded MJD 2 years ago, he would've been fired. The moves made (or not made) over the last 2 years were out of desperation and a desire to retain active employment.

On the other hand, Caldwell could've moved him at the draft (new regime, new people, etc.) and could've weathered the storm of the faithful Jags fans holding on to the old MJD we all remember. He didn't... and we'll never know what might've happened. The Jags aren't going to be good (or even mediocre...or competitive) this year. Move MJD now... It would be doing him a favor. It would allow us to see how Todman holds up over a season, and we can all live happily ever after.

I don't mind playing young guys and being terrible this year. This is a throwaway year... Let the kids play and lets see who we can build around and who we can't. Just don't go 0-16. Dear God, don't let us go 0-16.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 07:43 PM by badger.)

Quote:Meester and Rackley are the reason there is no running room. When defenders are in his face as he takes the handoff, not to many backs would be successful.

Any one with NFL rewind, take a look at the Jaguars 1st play where Rackley on the DT.

That aside, MJD does not look the same.  He can still be serviceable, but this is probably his last year HERE.

Quote:Okay, I get that. But, that is kinda crying over spilled milk. Gene Smith wasn't going to trade the one cog that was holding his job together. If he traded MJD 2 years ago, he would've been fired. The moves made (or not made) over the last 2 years were out of desperation and a desire to retain active employment.

On the other hand, Caldwell could've moved him at the draft (new regime, new people, etc.) and could've weathered the storm of the faithful Jags fans holding on to the old MJD we all remember. He didn't... and we'll never know what might've happened. The Jags aren't going to be good (or even mediocre...or competitive) this year. Move MJD now... It would be doing him a favor. It would allow us to see how Todman holds up over a season, and we can all live happily ever after.

I don't mind playing young guys and being terrible this year. This is a throwaway year... Let the kids play and lets see who we can build around and who we can't. Just don't go 0-16. Dear God, don't let us go 0-16.

What happened was MJD was coming off a serious injury, which means he's worthless to other teams.

Quote:If that was the case though, why did he play against Seattle?  He easily could have said, "Hey, I dont feel good today."
He's still got to get on the field if he plans on getting another team to pony up what he expects to be paid, right?

If he looks like he's sandbagging it, no team is going to touch him. 

I really hope he's not holding back to avoid injury.  That's never been his style.  I just think he's coming back from a couple of pretty significant surgeries, both of which could potentially end a career for an NFL running back.  He managed to come back from the microfracture surgery on his knee, but it remains to be seen if he can rebound from the Lisfranc surgery.

By the way.  When that knee surgery was revealed, every bit of trade value he had went right out the window.  That would have been right around the same time the dog whimperer claims he was howling to trade him.  It was already too late.

Quote:Meester and Rackley are the reason there is no running room. When defenders are in his face as he takes the handoff, not to many backs would be successful.

Any one with NFL rewind, take a look at the Jaguars 1st play where Rackley whiffs on the DT.

Again, its not just about the lack of production....you can just see he's slower/ more sluggish. Even on the plays where positive yardage is gained. 

Todman plays behind the same Rackley and Meester and looks 5x quicker/ more spry. 

Quote:That aside, MJD does not look the same. 

That some people can't / refuse to see this is baffling. 

I disagree.  He is not as good as he used to be but he could still be a good player.

1 thing is 100% certain.  You could put any rb behind our line and they would be bad.  A rb can't block for himself.  This team always has penetration in the back field.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Yeah, the comment was about MoJo, but when theres a backup RB on the same team and he runs behind the same OL/ FB and looks more impressive than the starter, then it kinda destroys your Greg Jones point. 
I remember him looking impressive during preseason but nothing that was impressive during real play. I don't want to take anything away from Todman but as I said we will see down the road just who plays better.How about you take a look at our rushing yards after three games and tell me how my Greg Jones point is destroyed. If we are going to have a discussion lets keep it real. Any one can pin point one or two plays to prove his point about a player, it is the body of work that will tell the value of a player. Heck I can site a couple of drives by Gabbert and say he is a good quarterback. Even a blind squirrel find a nut once and a while!

Quote:That some people can't / refuse to see this is baffling. 

Well, he's been one of the only guys on this team worth rooting for the past few years.  I don't blame them for having his back.

Quote:That some people can't / refuse to see this is baffling. 
Show one single post where anyone says otherwise. 

Everyone can see he's not what he was in his prime. Your ego is blinding you to reality again.  All that glitter....

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 07:49 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:I disagree.  He is not as good as he used to be but he could still be a good player.

1 thing is 100% certain.  You could put any rb behind our line and they would be bad.  A rb can't block for himself.  This team always has penetration in the back field.

Quote:I remember him looking impressive during preseason but nothing that was impressive during real play. I don't want to take anything away from Todman but as I said we will see down the road just who plays better.How about you take a look at our rushing yards after three games and tell me how my Greg Jones point is destroyed. If we are going to have a discussion lets keep it real. Any one can pin point one or two plays to prove his point about a player, it is the body of work that will tell the value of a player. Heck I can site a couple of drives by Gabbert and say he is a good quarterback. Even a blind squirrel find a nut once and a while!

Again....its not just about the runs for no gain....

Do people not understand what they are watching??

I can clearly see MoJo is way slower than he used to be even on runs in space. Runs that would have been taken for 50 before, now are going for 10. Theres simply no quickness / burst like there used to be. 

Did the OP send a preview of his posts in this thread to MJD during yesterday's game?

That would explain the laughter.

Which team was willing to trade a second round pick for MJD two years ago?

I'm looking for facts, not speculation, btw.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Again....its not just about the runs for no gain....

Do people not understand what they are watching??

I can clearly see MoJo is way slower than he used to be even on runs in space. Runs that would have been taken for 50 before, now are going for 10. Theres simply no burst like there used to be. 
Yes I know exactly what I am watching. 

When you combine the offense line play with the bad play calling you got a mixture of disater there.  Yes Mojo may have lost a step but don't find him a bad player.  9 out of 10 runs the rb's stand no chance because the oline gets beat

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]