Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I'm Hesitant About Bridgewater And Manziel...

Both of these guys are ridiculous athletes who routinely make the players around them better and the players against them look stupid.  But this is my concern:

Who was the last underclassman QB that wasn't a bust?  Matt Stafford.  And his career has been spotty.  When you make a list of guys who are currently in the league, have won Super Bowls, or are as good or better than Matt Stafford, your list only has guys who stayed for their senior year on it.  Other guys who recently came out as juniors, guys like Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, Mark Sanchez... obviously they haven't done as well.

Now, it is obvious that more and more guys, if they dominate college football as juniors, are not going to stay for their senior years.  If you hold out for a senior, you may wait forever.

But the odds are certainly against both Bridgewater and Manziel having successful NFL careers if they come out in the 2014 draft.

My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

RGIII and Luck both came out early

If those players would have come out at seniors, they would have likely still been busts.

Aaron Rodgers

Ben Rothlisberger

Lol. Well that argument failed rather quickly.

Quote:RGIII and Luck both came out early

Wrong.

Quote:Aaron Rodgers

Ben Rothlisberger
 Both correct.  2004 and 2005 respectively.  So if you go back 10 years, you find 3 guys who were good despite coming out as juniors...  Stafford, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger.  Considering at least one junior QB has come out each year since then, that is not a good record.  And Roethlisberger was 22 years old they day they drafted him, so I'd probably debate if he counts or not.

1995: We shouldn't take an offensive tackle with the second pick because Tony Mandarich was a bust.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 12:05 PM by GreeceMonkE.)

Quote: 

Both correct.  2004 and 2005 respectively.  So if you go back 10 years, you find 3 guys who were good despite coming out as juniors...  Stafford, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger.  Considering at least one junior QB has come out each year since then, that is not a good record.  And Roethlisberger was 22 years old they day they drafted him, so I'd probably debate if he counts or not.

I don't think Manziel is, but I do believe Bridgewater is on their level as a prospect coming out from college.

Pro Bowl Quarterbacks who left with eligibility available:

Aaron Rodgers

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Matthew Stafford

Ben Roethlisberger

Michael Vick

Should you not draft seniors because Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, and Brandon Weeden have all recently struggled?

Quote:1995: We shouldn't take an offensive tackle with the second pick because Tony Mandarich was a bust.

Unrelated, but Boselli was a senior.  So was Monroe.  Joeckel was not.  But this thread is about QBs.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 12:10 PM by mikesez.)

Quote:Pro Bowl Quarterbacks who left with eligibility available:

Aaron Rodgers

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Matthew Stafford

Ben Roethlisberger

Michael Vick

Should you not draft seniors because Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, and Brandon Weeden have all recently struggled?

I don't care if they had 3 years of eligibility left.  To me, redshirting counts as a year of experience.  A 22 year old male brain and body are both different from a 21 year old.  That is the only case I'm making.

So now you're going back to 2001 and you've found 4 notable players.

Drafted over the course of 13 years.  

Not good.

Quote:I don't care if they had 3 years of eligibility left.  A 22 year old male brain and body are both different from a 21 year old.  That is the only case I'm making.

Are you pretending that all 21-year-olds are similar in brain development and NFL readiness? Is this really your argument?

Andrew Luck was more NFL-ready at 19 than Brandon Weeden was at 29.

Quote:Wrong.

Just Google it next time and realize you are wrong.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/fo...index.html

Lolz

because senior qbs are so great  :whistling:

I guess we didn't realize when you said underclassman, you didn't mean underclassman. Our bad.

Quote:Are you pretending that all 21-year-olds are similar in brain development and NFL readiness? Is this really your argument?

Andrew Luck was more NFL-ready at 19 than Brandon Weeden was at 29.

That is not my argument.  My argument is that a 22 year old is TYPICALLY much more prepared than a 21 year old to move to a new town and deal with having about 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball before being seriously hurt.  Let's not compare apples and oranges either, Brandon Weeden and Andrew Luck don't have much in common in terms of talent.  I'm not trying to discuss talent, rather the mental/practice/getting better aspect.

Quote:I guess we didn't realize when you said underclassman, you didn't mean underclassman. Our bad.

I'll take the blame for that one.  A person who has attended college full-time for 4 years is a senior, regardless of how close they are to graduating or what the NCAA says about them.

Quote:That is not my argument.  My argument is that a 22 year old is TYPICALLY much more prepared than a 21 year old to move to a new town and deal with having about 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball before being seriously hurt.  Let's not compare apples and oranges either, Brandon Weeden and Andrew Luck don't have much in common in terms of talent.  I'm not trying to discuss talent, rather the mental/practice/getting better aspect.

Teddy Bridgewater is not your average 21-year-old. He is much more developed in maturity and at reading defenses than just about every 22-year-old quarterback that has entered the draft in recent memory.

I hate, hate, HATE these lazy false equivalence arguments where someone pretends that two players are more similar than they really are just because of one shared piece of their profiles. Bridgewater's NFL success has absolutely nothing to do with Blaine Gabbert or Josh Freeman's failures.

Bridgewater is a ridiculous athlete?