Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(01-22-2020, 02:28 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 05:30 PM)Jags Wrote: Bit nipply out.

We had a high of 39° and a "real feel" of 31° here in central NC. The steady wind blowing made it feel frigid.

I secretly like it.  I’ve been there done that and worse in the past.  Just not used to it anymore.  So it takes a higher temp now to feel that “freezing” feeling. Today we had a hefty breeze and never got into the 50’s.  I was layered up.  Face has a bit of windburn after the days work.  But I really enjoyed it.  Made me actually want to go the extra mile and do more work for our clients. It’s been a very productive week.  Plus I think about my job in July and August and say, “he’ll yeah!  I’ll take it!!!”   

That’s being said, it was another frigid day for us here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2020, 06:31 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 02:28 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: We had a high of 39° and a "real feel" of 31° here in central NC. The steady wind blowing made it feel frigid.

I secretly like it.  I’ve been there done that and worse in the past.  Just not used to it anymore.  So it takes a higher temp now to feel that “freezing” feeling. Today we had a hefty breeze and never got into the 50’s.  I was layered up.  Face has a bit of windburn after the days work.  But I really enjoyed it.  Made me actually want to go the extra mile and do more work for our clients. It’s been a very productive week.  Plus I think about my job in July and August and say, “he’ll yeah!  I’ll take it!!!”   

That’s being said, it was another frigid day for us here.

Hahaha likewise. Also, wind is easily my least favorite condition to work in.

(01-19-2020, 08:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 01:03 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Saw a really cool movie on amazon prime last night called the night hunter, really cool thriller didn’t see the end coming at all. I always enjoy finding those hidden gem movies with the wife that catch you off guard.

The guy whole played Superman is in it cavil something ?

I'll have to look for that. I'll watch Henry Cavill in almost anything.

Try "The Man from U.N.C.L.E"
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(01-23-2020, 10:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 08:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'll have to look for that. I'll watch Henry Cavill in almost anything.

It was ok, but I thought Armie Hammer was the better actor in that one.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-23-2020, 10:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 08:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I'll have to look for that. I'll watch Henry Cavill in almost anything.

That was a really good movie. I liked it more than I thought I would. It's one I'd own on disc if I could find it. 

I watched the movie on Prime the OP mentioned. It was a decent movie. The actor who plays the bad guy is fantastic. He reminds me of how Leo DiCaprio played his autistic character in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I had no idea who DiCaprio was at the time and autism wasn't widely known and I thought, "dang for someone with a disability like that he sure can act." Imagine my surprise when I saw him in Titanic. Lol.

This other fellow whose name I can't remember, is one of those actors who can do pretty much anything.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(01-25-2020, 11:07 AM)Jagwired Wrote:

That's funny, but it gave me a headache after the first minute.

Funny and cute. Dad has a lot of time on his hands.

(01-25-2020, 11:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 11:07 AM)Jagwired Wrote:

That's funny, but it gave me a headache after the first minute.

You lasted 40 seconds longer than I did. Neat idea but there's a reason I never raised kids and I don't babysit.

When you've heard the news about Kobe Bryant and are in shock and thinking about how life is just too short for some people when a lunatic criminal with multiple warrants out on him is being chased by a crap ton of cops across your neighbors yard. Life probably won't be too short for that jerktard.

I just need to get this off my chest. I have a client that year in and out has me trim his crepes, mulch, trim hedges (now vastly overgrown) and de-weed the flower beds. All is good except he wants me to trim the crepes down to about 1 foot. You’re the boss, I do what you ask. But, this client lives in my neighborhood where we have about 25 clients. Trimming those that low makes me look like I don’t know what I’m doing. I mean it’s a tree. They want to be a damn tree. Ok. I’m used to trimming them. At least, the normal way. But every year while trimming these down to 1 foot I get at least a couple people asking me about it. And I have to throw my client under the bus. Explaining “Client Request”. My neighborhood isn’t huge and we do a decent amount of work in it. I just am embarrassed to be murdering these things in front of other clients and neighbors.

(01-28-2020, 06:45 PM)Jags Wrote: I just need to get this off my chest.  I have a client that year in and out has me trim his crepes, mulch, trim hedges (now vastly overgrown) and de-weed the flower beds. All is good except he wants me to trim the crepes down to about 1 foot.  You’re the boss, I do what you ask.  But, this client lives in my neighborhood where we have about 25 clients.  Trimming those that low makes me look like I don’t know what I’m doing.  I mean it’s a tree. They want to be a damn tree.  Ok.  I’m used to trimming them.  At least, the normal way.  But every year while trimming these down to 1 foot I get at least a couple people asking me about it.  And I have to throw my client under the bus. Explaining “Client Request”. My neighborhood isn’t huge and we do a decent amount of work in it.  I just am embarrassed to be murdering these things in front of other clients and neighbors.

You're not throwing the client under the bus at all. That's what they want you to do so your answer is factual and honest.

(01-28-2020, 06:45 PM)Jags Wrote: I just need to get this off my chest.  I have a client that year in and out has me trim his crepes, mulch, trim hedges (now vastly overgrown) and de-weed the flower beds. All is good except he wants me to trim the crepes down to about 1 foot.  You’re the boss, I do what you ask.  But, this client lives in my neighborhood where we have about 25 clients.  Trimming those that low makes me look like I don’t know what I’m doing.  I mean it’s a tree. They want to be a damn tree.  Ok.  I’m used to trimming them.  At least, the normal way.  But every year while trimming these down to 1 foot I get at least a couple people asking me about it.  And I have to throw my client under the bus. Explaining “Client Request”. My neighborhood isn’t huge and we do a decent amount of work in it.  I just am embarrassed to be murdering these things in front of other clients and neighbors.

Tell dude you don't want to be charged with first degree "crepe-murder" and suggest a rounded 5-6 ft height would avoid charges. 

Seriously though, I need to get the pole-saw on my crepe-myrtles soon. Is now a good time of the year to do that?

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2020, 07:22 PM by Jags.)

(01-28-2020, 07:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Tell dude you don't want to be charged with first degree "crepe-murder" and suggest a rounded 5-6 ft height would avoid charges. 

Seriously though, I need to get the pole-saw on my crepe-myrtles soon. Is now a good time of the year to do that?

Truth be told, they really don’t NEED to be trimmed. They want to be trees.  It’s really rare to see one as such though.  It’s 100% aesthetics.  But if you’re wanting to get it done, yes, now is fine.  I’ve had people have me trim them all throughout the year.  They’re kinda like Viburnum.  You can’t kill them.  You can cut them to the ground and it’ll grow back. But this time of year is typically when they trim them. You’re good to go! Plus you get to fire up the pole saw!!  Hard not to feel cool with one in your hands.  We had the chainsaw and pole saw going today.  It was a manly day.

As to the first paragraph, we have our “crepe murder” jokes.  That is if passersby don’t beat us to it. Lol.  Oddly enough, the lower they go, it’s actually easier for us and less time.  Fewer cuts to be made.  I should charge an “embarrassment” fee though.

(01-28-2020, 07:10 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

You're not throwing the client under the bus at all. That's what they want you to do so your answer is factual and honest.

I know.  It would be easier if he didn’t live in my neighborhood and we didnt do so much work in there.  Every now and then we get weird requests.  But the whole “crepe murder” debate and here I am trimming these things down that low...in my area with multiple clients and neighbors as witnesses.  Smh.  

Today, I had a guy I say hello to every morning (with eyepatch and walker) go out of his way to stroll over to my position.  So, to be clear, we have a blind man that can’t walk struggle to my location and ask me why I trimmed them so low.  After a short conversation he says, “Ok, so you do know what you’re doing”.  That is a true story.  Sad but true. 

A freaking half blind man that can’t walk had to stop me.  This was worse than years past.  Comical.  But, I have a business to run.  It’s just not a good look for us.

(01-28-2020, 07:18 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 07:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Tell dude you don't want to be charged with first degree "crepe-murder" and suggest a rounded 5-6 ft height would avoid charges. 

Truth be told, they really don’t NEED to be trimmed. They want to be trees.  It’s really rare to see one as such though.  It’s 100% aesthetics.  But if you’re wanting to get it done, yes, now is fine.  I’ve had people have me trim them all throughout the year.  They’re kinda like Viburnum.  You can’t kill them.  You can cut them to the ground and it’ll grow back. But this time of year is typically when they trim them. You’re good to go! Plus you get to fire up the pole saw!!  Hard not to feel cool with one in your hands.  We had the chainsaw and pole saw going today.  It was a manly day.

As to the first paragraph, we have our “crepe murder” jokes.  That is if passersby don’t beat us to it. Lol.  Oddly enough, the lower they go, it’s actually easier for us and less time.  Fewer cuts to be made.  I should charge an “embarrassment” fee though.

Thanks for the tip. 

I let mine be trees for the most part.  Haven't trimmed them in three years, but three of them have grown into the canopy of other trees and I'd like to clean that up.  Another has a potato vine grown into it. No bueno. 
I'll stand on a step ladder with the pole saw to trim them so they'll still stand 10-12 feet.

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2020, 08:58 PM by Jags.)

(01-28-2020, 07:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 07:18 PM)Jags Wrote: Truth be told, they really don’t NEED to be trimmed. They want to be trees.  It’s really rare to see one as such though.  It’s 100% aesthetics.  But if you’re wanting to get it done, yes, now is fine.  I’ve had people have me trim them all throughout the year.  They’re kinda like Viburnum.  You can’t kill them.  You can cut them to the ground and it’ll grow back. But this time of year is typically when they trim them. You’re good to go! Plus you get to fire up the pole saw!!  Hard not to feel cool with one in your hands.  We had the chainsaw and pole saw going today.  It was a manly day.

Thanks for the tip. 

I let mine be trees for the most part.  Haven't trimmed them in three years, but three of them have grown into the canopy of other trees and I'd like to clean that up.  Another has a potato vine grown into it. No bueno. 
I'll stand on a step ladder with the pole saw to trim them so they'll still stand 10-12 feet.
No problem. I enjoy talking about lawn care and giving out whatever tips I can. 

There’s a few different ways to trim them. Cutting all back to the “knuckles” or letting them grow and trimming off the “stragglers or weeds” and leaving the top and cleaning the bottom (below the canopy)..  they’re really like a Bob Ross painting.  There’s no wrong way.  Only happy accidents if you mess up.  Potato vine is a pain in the butt.  Luckily, I’ve only seen a few places where it was really bad.  I’d cut that stuff off and spray what’s left.  Unless you can pull it all and get the roots or spraying will screw up the grass or flowers.  Roundup will only work on the leaves.  So even if you sprayed the [BLEEP] out of it and hit the trunk of a tree, you’re good!

I watched it happen again yesterday - someone circling the parking lot to find the closest spot to the gym. That's hilarious.

(01-31-2020, 09:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I watched it happen again yesterday - someone circling the parking lot to find the closest spot to the gym. That's hilarious.

Unless it's pouring down rain I park as far from the gym as I can. I tend to park in the 'back forty' of most parking lots though. Less damage to my truck from idiots who can't open a car door with some restraint and I get some extra walking in for my day.

(01-31-2020, 09:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I watched it happen again yesterday - someone circling the parking lot to find the closest spot to the gym. That's hilarious.

Meanwhile, authorities advise caution and continue the search for the unknown individual, described by locals as "The creepy dude in the panel van."
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.