Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2017 Draft Redux

Before we get to see the rookie class play any real football, I thought it would be interesting to see what all of our resident armchair GMs would have done differently in the 2017 draft.  

Like many of you -  I feel pretty good about the players the Jags came away with, but I was eyeballing some different guys than the ones Dave and Tom selected. 

So - who would you have chosen that was still available and why? 

here's the full draft by round: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/tracker/by-round

I'll catch a lot of hell for my list as some of the players I wanted ended being selected much later than where I was "reaching" for them -- but I'll be honest at my own peril. These are the guys I wanted back in April. 

(I'd have tried to trade down - but for simplicity's sake I'll list just guys at the picks the Jags actually ended up with)

Round One, pick 4: Jonathan Allen 
I'm not privvy to the inside info on his medicals, but I felt 4 was too high for a RB.

Round Two, Pick 3:  Forrest Lamp (no trade up)

Round Three, Pick 4:  Davis Webb
Yeah - I know it's early to take him, but I think he's going to be a franchise QB for someone (probably the giants) and I wanted a "Blake-Meltdown" insurance policy. 

Round Four, Pick 3: Wayne Gallman
Again - the giants took this guy much later in the round, but he's the guy I wanted there. He runs with a toughness that I think will pay off in the league. 

Round Five, Pick 4: Jeremy Sprinkle - good value for a guy that can block and catch well

Round Six, Pick 3:  Jordan Evans -  LB depth and ST hopeful

Round Seven, Pick 4: Jalen Myrick  - I was on the same page with the F.O. here

Round Seven, Pick 22:  Freddie Stevenson - FB  -
Just being honest. I love the Marquez Williams pick, but I'd probably have picked Stevenson simply because I was more familiar with him. 

Maybe in three years I can look back on this and decide if I'm smarter than Cough-Well or just another idiot armchair GM.  Probably the latter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-07-2017, 08:48 AM), though I would also have been okay with Leggett here, NYC4jags Wrote: Before we get to see the rookie class play any real football, I thought it would be interesting to see what all of our resident armchair GMs would have done differently in the 2017 draft.  

Like many of you -  I feel pretty good about the players the Jags came away with, but I was eyeballing some different guys than the ones Dave and Tom selected. 

I'll catch a lot of hell for my list as some of the players I wanted ended being selected much later than where I was "reaching" for them -- but I'll be honest at my own peril. These are the guys I wanted back in April. 

(I'd have tried to trade down - but for simplicity's sake I'll list just guys at the picks the Jags actually ended up with)

Round One, pick 4: Jonathan Allen 
I'm not privvy to the inside info on his medicals, but I felt 4 was too high for a RB.

Round Two, Pick 3:  Forrest Lamp (no trade up)

Round Three, Pick 4:  Davis Webb
Yeah - I know it's early to take him, but I think he's going to be a franchise QB for someone (probably the giants) and I wanted a "Blake-Meltdown" insurance policy. 

Round Four, Pick 3: Wayne Gallman
Again - the giants took this guy much later in the round, but he's the guy I wanted there. He runs with a toughness that I think will pay off in the league. 

Round Five, Pick 4: Jeremy Sprinkle - good value for a guy that can block and catch well

Round Six, Pick 3:  Jordan Evans -  LB depth and ST hopeful

Round Seven, Pick 4: Jalen Myrick  - I was on the same page with the F.O. here

Round Seven, Pick 22:  Freddie Stevenson - FB  -
Just being honest. I love the Marquez Williams pick, but I'd probably have picked Stevenson simply because I was more familiar with him. 

Maybe in three years I can look back on this and decide if I'm smarter than Cough-Well or just another idiot armchair GM.  Probably the latter.

I would have done something like this...

Round 1-Fournette-had no problems with this pick, even though the team could have gone in any number of directions and improved.

Round 2- Cam Robinson-Had you told me in December or so that Robinson would have fallen to the 2nd round, I'd have thought you were nuts.  Even with the trade up of one spot, I would have taken him here, though Lamp would have been fine, too.  One nagging question about this pick lingers with me, though.  Seattle had a desperate need for T, and bypassed him.  Why?

Round 3-Dan Feeney, G, Indiana.  This is where I depart from what TC and DC did.  They indicated their goal was to get tougher and to give Bortles help.  Undoubtedly, they felt part of that was bolstering the running game and the D-Line.  I think the addition of Feeney here represented very good value, and would have given our OL amazing depth, versatility, and nastiness.  If DE was the desired pick, I would have gone with Jordan Willis.

Round 4-George Kittle, TE, Iowa.  With this pick, the offensive infusion of toughness is completed.  He is a strong blocker and a good target downfield and is part of a great TE class.  Iowa has a long history of producing good TEs, and we take a guy without the off field baggage that a Westbrook has.  If I wanted greater emphasis on the passing game, Jordan Leggett was another consideration, as was Dorian Johnson had I gone DE in round 3

Round 5-I'm okay with Blair Brown, but would also have been fine with Leggett, Jeremy Sprinkle, or Peterman.

I have no problems with the remaining picks.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

1.4 Leonard Fournette, RB LSU 6'0 236
- I would have loved to have seen a trade back, knowing that I will be an amazing GM in several years, I could pull of a trade or two and come away with something impressive but for the sake of what happened, I think the pick is fine because of Fournette's generational qualities. It's tough because the best talent in this draft had the biggest medical concerns but it came down to Allen and Fournette I think. Ramcyzk or Howard would have been good matches but again a serious trade back would have to happen to balance the value

2.3 Forrest Lamp G Western Kentucky 6'4 309
- I'm keeping my 6th round pick and taking Lamp since both project as Guards, I don't see Robinson as a premier Tackle so Seattle can have him, I'd also consider a few other players here but Lamp is too good to pass up

3.4 QB Davis Webb, QB Cal 6'5 229
- I thought the Smoot selection was downright awful, I understand there were some tough decisions to make with so much talent available. Even so, I'm taking a flyer on Webb, you have to love the arm strength and ability. He is a better prospect than Goff last year. Very robotic gets the system QB tag but highly skilled. 

4.4  Rayshawn Jenkins, Safety  Miami 6'2 214 
- Typical Miami safety with some flaws but I loved his tenacity and feel like he'd fit with Ramsey & Bouye

5.4  Avery Moss, DE  Youngstown St 6'3 264
- Incredible upside and could definitely start down the road and provide some pass rush depth. He's a better prospect than Smoot with better playing speed and aggressiveness to the ball

6.3 Connor McDermott, OT UCLA 6'8 307
- Bill Belichick and I both have a few things in common, we love to wear comfy clothes at work, and we both like giant offensive lineman in the late rounds

7.4 Zane Gonzalez, K Arizona St. 6'0 202
- The need at Kicker won't come up until Meyers misses another one that costs this team games. Gonzalez was incredibly accurate and represents real competition and upgrade 

7.22 Malachi Dupre, WR LSU 6'2 196
- It's amazing how fast he slipped, some major concerns, was kind of lost at LSU but has the physical traits you love in a WR especially as a developmental player

(06-07-2017, 02:34 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: 1.4 Leonard Fournette, RB LSU 6'0 236
- I would have loved to have seen a trade back, knowing that I will be an amazing GM in several years, I could pull of a trade or two and come away with something impressive but for the sake of what happened, I think the pick is fine because of Fournette's generational qualities. It's tough because the best talent in this draft had the biggest medical concerns but it came down to Allen and Fournette I think. Ramcyzk or Howard would have been good matches but again a serious trade back would have to happen to balance the value

2.3 Forrest Lamp G Western Kentucky 6'4 309
- I'm keeping my 6th round pick and taking Lamp since both project as Guards, I don't see Robinson as a premier Tackle so Seattle can have him, I'd also consider a few other players here but Lamp is too good to pass up

3.4 QB Davis Webb, QB Cal 6'5 229
- I thought the Smoot selection was downright awful, I understand there were some tough decisions to make with so much talent available. Even so, I'm taking a flyer on Webb, you have to love the arm strength and ability. He is a better prospect than Goff last year. Very robotic gets the system QB tag but highly skilled. 

4.4  Rayshawn Jenkins, Safety  Miami 6'2 214 
- Typical Miami safety with some flaws but I loved his tenacity and feel like he'd fit with Ramsey & Bouye

5.4  Avery Moss, DE  Youngstown St 6'3 264
- Incredible upside and could definitely start down the road and provide some pass rush depth. He's a better prospect than Smoot with better playing speed and aggressiveness to the ball

6.3 Connor McDermott, OT UCLA 6'8 307
- Bill Belichick and I both have a few things in common, we love to wear comfy clothes at work, and we both like giant offensive lineman in the late rounds

7.4 Zane Gonzalez, K Arizona St. 6'0 202
- The need at Kicker won't come up until Meyers misses another one that costs this team games. Gonzalez was incredibly accurate and represents real competition and upgrade 

7.22 Malachi Dupre, WR LSU 6'2 196
- It's amazing how fast he slipped, some major concerns, was kind of lost at LSU but has the physical traits you love in a WR especially as a developmental player

That seems like a pretty solid haul.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM by Deacon.)

(06-07-2017, 08:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Before we get to see the rookie class play any real football, I thought it would be interesting to see what all of our resident armchair GMs would have done differently in the 2017 draft.  

Man. How much stupid can a guy pack into one post? I guess now we know. [/sarcasm] Seriously though, thanks for the thread, should be a good discussion.

1.4 Fournette - With the way this draft broke, everyone else was a reach. I agree, #4 is probably high for a RB, but what player this year was better than him? A Safety? A CB? Okay maybe a CB, but as Poppa Tom stated this team needs points. He was the best option to do that.

2.2 Robinson - I wanted Lamp as well, and I really didn't see the need to trade up but when the choice is between a serviceable Tackle and a 10 year Guard, take the Tackle. They are just more important. Also, really didn't see anyone else that I would have ranked above Robinson. As an aside, this was where I wanted Hassan Reddick to be available. Stupid draft climbing [/mumble]

3.4 Tim Williams, OLB, Ala-bubba-bama - Smoot will probably turn out to be a better DL, but why not sharpen your pencil and figure out a way to get Williams on the field? The guy is as good of an all around player as you will find in the Third, but he's used to excellent coaching so you're gonna have to step your game up on the Practice Field. But so what? If that's what it takes to get a great product, then do it.

4.3 Dorian Johnson or Nico Siragusa, OGs, - Repeat after me; it's not a draft until you get a Guard. They aren't critical, but everybody needs at least two to play and three to go to a game. Get you some.

5.4 Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson - My comfort level with the TE spot on this team is rather low. Needs talent. Get you some talent.

7.5 Myrick - I'm okay with adding speed to the roster. Besides, it's a Seventh.

7.22 Williams - I'm okay with this.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(06-07-2017, 09:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 08:48 AM), though I would also have been okay with Leggett here, NYC4jags Wrote: Before we get to see the rookie class play any real football, I thought it would be interesting to see what all of our resident armchair GMs would have done differently in the 2017 draft.  

I would have done something like this...

(06-09-2017, 10:41 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 08:48 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Before we get to see the rookie class play any real football, I thought it would be interesting to see what all of our resident armchair GMs would have done differently in the 2017 draft.  

7.5 Myrick - I'm okay with adding speed to the roster. Besides, it's a Seventh.

RE: being OK with picks. I'm actually curious who you would have picked - who you really wanted at that spot looking at who was still available?  
(I'm OK with all the Jags picks in this draft -- but I would have chosen differently based on my limited knowledge of so many players and my priorities/preferences.)

If you feel confident you'd have selected Myrick and Williams - cool - but if you think you may have gone a different way - I'd like to know that too.

(06-09-2017, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: RE: being OK with picks. I'm actually curious who you would have picked - who you really wanted at that spot looking at who was still available?  
(I'm OK with all the Jags picks in this draft -- but I would have chosen differently based on my limited knowledge of so many players and my priorities/preferences.)

If you feel confident you'd have selected Myrick and Williams - cool - but if you think you may have gone a different way - I'd like to know that too.

Ugh. You are so needy!

Let's see here, who would Nate have picked...?

Probably would have went with Stevie the NT from USC. Nose Tackles are tough to come by these days, but every team needs a guy at 1 Tech. Gimme the wide body!

Next is Pat O'Connor, OLB from Eastern Michigan. I like highly productive, three year starters in the Seventh. Even if they are of the "Small School" type.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2017, 11:27 AM by Bullseye.)

(06-09-2017, 11:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 09:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I would have done something like this...

(06-09-2017, 10:41 AM)Deacon Wrote: 7.5 Myrick - I'm okay with adding speed to the roster. Besides, it's a Seventh.

RE: being OK with picks. I'm actually curious who you would have picked - who you really wanted at that spot looking at who was still available?  

There weren't any pound the table type players on the board for me to have deviated from what TC DC did in round seven for me to definitively overrule them in that round.

If I had to change one player, I'd switch out Chad Kelly for Myrick. However, at the time the Jaguars were on the board, I think I was content to risk Kelly being drafted to sign him as an UDFA.

Thanks, gents.

(06-09-2017, 11:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thanks, gents.

Don't go so soon.

I'd like to hear some of the rationales for your decisions.

Why Lamp over Robinson? Was the trade up cost not worth Robinson, were you scared away by Robinson's off field stuff, was G a bigger need, do you think Lamp is a better player...or what?

Why Webb over Smoot?

(06-09-2017, 02:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Don't go so soon.

Why Lamp over Robinson?  Was the trade up cost not worth Robinson, were you scared away by Robinson's off field stuff, was G a bigger need, do you think Lamp is a better player...or what?

Why Webb over Smoot?

I'll try and help because I and NYC had similar tastes. 

We gave Seattle a value pick so they wouldn't take Robinson. That's why pick swaps happen this way (This is also how you can explain the niners/bears trade - The Niners at least convinced Chicago that they were taking Trubinskiy at 3). I believe that Robinson will be a better Guard in the NFL because of his lack of footwork and Lamp projects as a better guard than Robinson. I don't believe Robinson will be a premier LT and I believe 32 GM's felt this way. Character concerns or not, this draft showed us that teams are really not worried to take risks on premium talent if they believe that it exists. - Overall, keeping the 6th rounder means a developmental player or starting special teams player. I don't dislike the pick at all, but would have deviated in a different direction

Now, I know the general consensus is to start making sense of the Smoot pick, but I was pretty blunt in my dislike for the pick. Webb is equally a risky pick- I think he would have provided a spark in Bortles as well as a developmental Insurance Policy. Even if the season imploded and the Jags have a top 5 pick again, they'd have a chance at a QB and still have an impressive Arm behind him. Webb is an impressive prospect and went to a good situation. Webb is clearly an arm talent, system QB at this point. I very well believe that Webb will be starting games in New Jersey in the next few years.

TheAll22
(06-09-2017, 02:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Don't go so soon.

Why Lamp over Robinson?  Was the trade up cost not worth Robinson, were you scared away by Robinson's off field stuff, was G a bigger need, do you think Lamp is a better player...or what?

Why Webb over Smoot?

I'll try and help because I and NYC had similar tastes. 

We gave Seattle a value pick so they wouldn't take Robinson. That's why pick swaps happen this way (This is also how you can explain the niners/bears trade - The Niners at least convinced Chicago that they were taking Trubinskiy at 3). I believe that Robinson will be a better Guard in the NFL because of his lack of footwork and Lamp projects as a better guard than Robinson. I don't believe Robinson will be a premier LT and I believe 32 GM's felt this way. Character concerns or not, this draft showed us that teams are really not worried to take risks on premium talent if they believe that it exists. - Overall, keeping the 6th rounder means a developmental player or starting special teams player. I don't dislike the pick at all, but would have deviated in a different direction

Now, I know the general consensus is to start making sense of the Smoot pick, but I was pretty blunt in my dislike for the pick. Webb is equally a risky pick- I think he would have provided a spark in Bortles as well as a developmental Insurance Policy. Even if the season imploded and the Jags have a top 5 pick again, they'd have a chance at a QB and still have an impressive Arm behind him. Webb is an impressive prospect and went to a good situation. Webb is clearly an arm talent, system QB at this point. I very well believe that Webb will be starting games in New Jersey in the next few years.

(Emphasis added)

Thanks for the explanation, though I'm not sure I buy the part in bold.

If all 32 teams felt Robinson would be a better G than Tackle, and that devalued him in Seattle's eyes, then the Jaguars wouldn't have had to trade up for him, even if just for a 6th round pick.  If Seattle did not like Robinson as a T, there would have been no need to convince them not to take them.  If Seattle had to be bribed not to take him, then they had to feel he had the ability to help them, which kind of negates your premise.  In fact, everything the Jaguars have said up until now has indicated their first choice is to play him at LT, which definitely negates your premise that all 32 teams saw him more as a G than a T.  If the Jaguars felt they had to trade up to ensure they got their guy, then they may have felt someone else was looking to deal up to get him, which means perhaps someone else thought he could play LT.

But again, Seattles moves in that round were puzzling.  They needed OL help, and they traded away from Lamp and Robinson when both seemed to be scheme fits for them.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2017, 10:27 PM by KYjaggy.)

I would have gone:
1. Malik Hooker - OJ Howard was my top choice while we were on the clock, but a few TE that went day 3 would make this revisionist version better overall. Of course the Colts got the next Earl Thomas instead =/
2. Forrest Lamp - Robinson was fine, but I think Lamp was just a bit better...even at tackle.
3. Dan Feeney - Basically I think the Chargers killed day 2 getting both Lamp and Feeney instead of the team with two big guard needs that passed on both.
4. George Kittle - He, Butt, or Sprinkle would have filled a much bigger need than Dede without the off field concerns on top of that. I go Kittle due to superior blocking and top athlete at the position pass catching potential.
5. Jeremy McNichols - Really good film, versatile, and probably the 2nd or 3rd best athlete in the class after Mixon. 5th round was a steal.
6. Blair Brown - In my Lamp scenario we don't give up the 6th for Robinson and use it to take the Brown who hopefully falls another round.
7. Jalen Myrick - Great athlete, fills a need a slot corner need.
7. Marquez Williams - For like the 4th time out of 5 years I think Dave did well to finish the draft after disagreeing strongly with the early picks.

1. Leonard Fournette - RB - Can't argue with that selection. We didn't need defense there Johnathan Allen fell for a reason.
2. Cam Robinson - OT - Can't argue with this selection either. Great value there at a position of need.
3. Dan Feeney - OG - Was unfamiliar with Smoot and felt Feeney would have come in and pushed either would be starter for a G position.
4. Dede Westbrook - WR - Can't argue with this selection. Seems like another Marquise Lee (injuries) type deal where great talent fell due to character concerns. In RD4 I am fine with this.
5. Bucky Hodges - TE - I don't know anything about Blair Brown but I saw a lot of Bucky Hodges last year and was happy to see him on the board still.
7A. Freddie Stevenson - FB - Solid player at FSU. Not unhappy with Williams though out of MU but Stevenson just seemed like a more explosive blocker.
7B. Jerod Evans - QB - Ended up going undrafted and was signed by the Eagles afterwards. Really good year last season. Was hoping for some more competition at the position.

Based upon the responses, it seems most people had problems with the picks in the 3rd-5th rounds.

But I don't think I've ever seen such near lockstep agreement over the 7th round picks over any draft.

(06-10-2017, 07:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Based upon the responses, it seems most people had problems with the picks in the 3rd-5th rounds.

But I don't think I've ever seen such near lockstep agreement over the 7th round picks over any draft.

I think people should be/will be quite happy with the Blair Brown pick. However, a bad athlete big end DE who isn't really supposed to be anything more than a rotational guy at one of our strongest positions was silly. Dede I get, he is explosive and I think they realize one of Hurns or Marqise already has one foot out the door. There were just really solid prospects that fit some of the biggest needs on our teams in both cases.

(06-10-2017, 07:33 AM)KYjaggy Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 07:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Based upon the responses, it seems most people had problems with the picks in the 3rd-5th rounds.

I think people should be/will be quite happy with the Blair Brown pick. However, a bad athlete big end DE who isn't really supposed to be anything more than a rotational guy at one of our strongest positions was silly. Dede I get, he is explosive and I think they realize one of Hurns or Marqise already has one foot out the door. There were just really solid prospects that fit some of the biggest needs on our teams in both cases.

Hurns already signed a contract extension. Maybe Allen Robinson or Marqise may be gone.

I like what I've read about the Blair Brown pick. (In fact, given how they had two LBs drafted in the mid rounds, I want to follow that Ohio program a little more closely) I think the problems people had were not so much an indictment of Brown as much as it was a failure to capitalize on the TE depth.

Regarding the Wesbrook pick, from a pure football standpoint, I don't think anyone had a problem with that pick at that point. The off field stuff and subsequent short leash the team said they would have him on is what gives me pause.

Agreed. It makes a lot of sense though. We went without the FB last year. Our running game isn't all that. And I think after we had a good run with Greg Jones leading the way for eight straight years during a stretch where we were one of the top three or five rushing teams in football made us want this position back. 

If we can't rely on the QB but we can barely scrape up 3.7 YPC as a team it hurts us. The selection of Fournette along with Williams indicates that this team wants to get back to what it once was. Which was a run heavy offense that could run at will and punch you in the mouth. 

Bortles does have the arm strength. And we do have the receivers on the outside though to take advantage of the ground game. Something we haven't had in it's entirety since the old Brunell days.

Hurns can be let go so cheaply after this year that I think 2017 is ultimately a head to head battle for he vs Lee to keep around. Then Dede can be our Ted Ginn Jr. diminutive field stretcher. Which is fine and all, but the opportunity cost was some really nice dual threat TE options in Kittle, Butt, or Sprinkle that could have been our TE1 of the future instead of hopeful WR3.

(06-09-2017, 02:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Don't go so soon.

Why Webb over Smoot?

For starters, part of my intention with the thread was to be brutally honest (even at risk of appearing unwise) about the players I was hoping to see the Jags pick back on the actual day(s) of the draft. 

In other words, after researching their picks vs mine  -- I think they may have made better decisions. But- we'll not know that for some time of course.

Nonetheless - I did have my reasons:

Cam Robinson was a very good tackle prospect in my mind with a few question marks. While his footwork is impressive, sometimes it just disappears. Should be correctable. He appears generally "off-balance" at times without anything seemingly throwing him forcefully off balance. I've noticed him give up on a play or two when he knows it's going the other way - or it's a quick shotgun pass. Again - correctable. 

But my biggest reason for Lamp over Cam was that Branden Albert afforded the team the luxury to wait for a better tackle prospect next year if they wanted to do that and I just sort of assumed they would since Feeney, Lamp and Dawkins all seemed like guys that could come in and be quality starters at guard right away. So I really just didn't research the tackles as much as I did the guards since it felt like a more urgent need. I am admittedly and unashamedly a "need meets value" guy when it come to the draft. I have no issues with pursuing need in the early rounds if the value is good. 

But - I like the Robinson pick. I really do. Thought he go late in the first. 

Smoot I have to admit to not "scouting" as I felt that they'd address that position earlier or not at all. I'm encouraged by his positive traits and feel that Campbell will help him hone his talent into skill. 
I wanted Webb there instead for a few reasons:
  • I reviewed Blake's play last season in the all 22 quite a bit. Well - a lot. When it was bad it was really, really bad. Missing wide open first downs to force the ball into coverage without bothering to even step into the throw - telegraphing the pass to defenders and dropping the ball to his waist prior to release. That's about as ugly as it gets. While I still like his potential - that's a lot to fix. 
  • Webb is already beyond Blake in technical refinement. Coaches kid that has long played the position  -he's smart with a playbook  -- comfortable reading defenses and quick going through a progression -- able to look off safeties  -- and has a consistent tight motion with a rifled spiral and top of the charts velocity. (The kid used to call practices on the windiest days in the Texas plains with his receivers to work on a spriral that could cut through the wind. )
    I think he's a steal in the third.    I really wanted an insurance policy in case Blake reverted to bad habits once he's staring down the barrel of a Watt/Mercilus/Clowney pass rush on third and 12. And -  at worst - you've got trade-bait for a QB needy team at some point in the near future if the new kid does well in preseason action.